But I'm a Cheerleader Reviews

• Nov 10, 2019

Best fuckin film I've seen in DECADES. Gay as fuck! Loved the drama. Laffed a lot. Made out with my girlfriend. We teared up. BEAUTIFUL FILM. Fuck your 39%.

• Aug 05, 2019

Solid message and interesting art direction, but not quite as funny as I expected. Had a larger serious vein running through it.

• Mar 17, 2019

Love everything about this movie

Love everything about this movie

• Feb 17, 2019

But I’m a Cheerleader is a film about a young lesbian who is forced into a conversion camp by her family in order to teach her how to be straight. It’s like that movie from last year Boy Erased, but this movie has its tongue planted firmly in its cheek. Considering the fact that RuPaul is the counselor trying to teach the boys how to be masculine, and Cathy Moriarty is trying to teach the girls to be feminine, there is very little realism in the portrayal of this conversion therapy. I laughed a number of times at how over-the-top they went with the homoerotic tasks they all had to complete that were supposed to be “curing” them. I think if the entire film was as wacky and ridiculous as these training sequences then I’d be a bigger fan of this film. Instead of that, the plot of But I’m a Cheerleader gets deeply involved in a love story between the lead character and one of the other girls. I know this was one way of presenting the growth of Megan, because this allows her to realize the truth about herself and accept it, but it took a lot of what I enjoyed out of the film. The movie gets much more serious when love enters the story, and I felt the laughs were cut to a minimum at that point. That’s not to say that this is a bad way of telling the story that Jamie Babbit wanted to tell. Taking things more seriously when the emotions are real might be an effective way of contrasting them with the ridiculous idea of conversion therapy, but I simply wanted to have a little more fun with the film. One thing that totally stands out in But I’m a Cheerleader is the crazy color palette. The use of extreme pinks and blues to reinforce the traditional gender roles was brilliant. Yet somehow they managed to make these light colors look ugly. The sets in the camp were often surreal as if they were all taking place in a dollhouse, which fit the kind of dream-like mentality the counselors have about heterosexuality. I thought most of the cast did a decent job, but it sometimes seemed they had different ideas about how they were going to play their parts. Some were bringing authentic portrayals into a heightened reality, while others were playing up the ridiculousness of the world created in the film. But I’m a Cheerleader definitely has funny moments, and I think for the right audience it could be an all-time favorite. For me, I found it enjoyable, but I’m not sure it’s one I’ll seek out again.

• Oct 13, 2018

I labsolutelyloved every minute of this movie. I a lesbian myself loved to see the message it gave behind the candy coated exterior and that tons of gay teens everywhere do live a lifestyle of having to hide who they are for their own safety. Not only that but this movie was a perfect mix of comedy and romance. The "screw you!" scene was so heart warming. Only bad thing about this film was sitting through two minutes of credits

• Sep 17, 2018

Such a great movie like you see her come to terms with her sexuality and Natasha was the perfect person for this role

• Sep 13, 2018

3.5/5. A campy take on a conversion therapy movie. But I'm a Cheerleader is funny with charming production design, but most of the characters are mostly stereotypes and the story doesn't go far enough with its message.

• Aug 11, 2018

This is my favorite queer film of all time. I saw this in highschool and it helped me with coming to terms with my own sexuality. Not to mention it was one of the few movies out at that time that didn't end in tragedy. It has such a cute sound track and the exaggerated stereotypes of the characters was funny to me. Whatever this movies perfect I love it. And one of the critics called Natasha Lyonne Natasha Lyons so, he can't be that credible.

• Jun 15, 2018

It was an amazing coming of age movie.

It was an amazing coming of age movie.

• May 24, 2018

Funniest and most heartfelt LGBTQIA Movie ever. Period. See it.

Funniest and most heartfelt LGBTQIA Movie ever. Period. See it.