The Butcher Boy Reviews

• Jun 05, 2018

Whimsical movies always have my attention, and most of the times I end up loving them, but in this case I was never brought in. Story and emotions don't seem to travel together.

• Feb 22, 2018

Hard to watch but sadly very relevant for todays society, this film is visceral and gripping, excellent acting especially by Eamonn Owens and beautifully filmed, it depicts Irish small town ideology with a razor sharp focus, its both uncompromising and horrifying, watch it, you'll never be the same again....

• Dec 17, 2015

The Butcher boy is a film about childhood, friendship later betrayed, a world that seems only be ready to deceive you and the response from this child in the border of fantasy and insanity.A tragic comedy well directed and performes for the young new actor

• Nov 16, 2015

Neil Jordan have a good eye for young actors and actresses so Eamonn Owens is the main fuel of the movie, the rest is hard to follow mostly becouse of chaotic dialogues.

• Mar 04, 2015

Dark, surrealistic tragic comedy. I think the Americans would be lost by the Monaghan accent...they don't pronounce their "r"s.

• Jan 06, 2015

It's a very good black comedy film and I'd say it's one of the best Irish films I've ever seen! I'm Irish and I live in Dublin, Ireland. I have it on DVD.

• Oct 04, 2014

Tries too hard to emulate the disturbing nature of Peter Jackson's 1994 character study Heavenly Creatures, but doesn't seem to understand what made that movie so brilliant. The Butcher Boy is sometimes funny, though not nearly enough, sometimes interesting, though never gripping, and it reaches a pretty disturbed climax, though it takes far too long to get there, and it doesn't feel as though it's rising to that moment nor does it succeed in completely convincing me of its character's transition into madness.

• Sep 21, 2014

You probably all had that unsettled kid at school that nobody messed with because they'd heard rumours that he was kicked out of the last school for doing something psycho, and then, one day he loses his rag and goes mental at your school and that's the last you see or hear of him. Well this is a story about that kind of kid in a small Irish town. It's pretty good, a quite original story put on film very well.

• May 26, 2014

Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's dark, sometimes it's disturbing, sometimes it's horrific and sometimes it's sad. Making "The Butcher Boy" is a brilliant-weird film. This film brings us into a life about a boy struggling with violence, a broken friendship, his active imagination and his mental illness with hilarious narrator and horrifying-sad ending.

• Sep 23, 2013

Pretty uneven film that teeters from silly growing up movie to downright demon child. Francie is one ROTTON kid, manipulating, foul mouthed and violent, you just don't know where he'll wind up. And that's the problem with this, because Neil Jordan seems to veer from Home Alone humor to The Omen at a turn of the hat. The kid here is great, and there's some turns here that made my mouth drop, but this is definitely a movie I wouldn't rush to see again.