The Butterfly Effect - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Butterfly Effect Reviews

½ May 20, 2017
The Butterfly Effect stars Ashton Kutcher as a man, Evan, who has had a very troubled past and some of the memories he can't even remember because he blacks out and then forgets what happened while he was blacked out. He writes everything he does in journals and he's found out that reading the journal entries can take him back to the moment of his blackout and he can change what he did to alter the future. The concept of this movie is really great! I find it to be a very intriguing and exciting idea, but the execution wasn't the best. Where this movie suffers the most is its beginning and ending. The first 20 to 30 minutes of the movie are very jarring. We see him experience every single blackout he had and it gets very annoying after the 2nd one. All the characters, when they're kids, are also annoying. Some of the scenes concerning Tommy were just hilarious because he was such a sadistic bastard that it's hard to imagine any kid doing what he did. The acting also isn't the best. The kid actors are very unbelievable in their roles. Thankfuly, the movie does improve once Evan gets older and starts to figure things out. That's when the "time travel" plot kicks in and things get going. I really enjoyed the middle part of the movie. Seeing various realities and versions of these characters was very fun and interesting. It made me think of the decisions I made and how different things could've been if I'd have done something else. I was always impressed with the thought of changing your future; how even the smallest choice can affect your life. When the movie deals with those problems, it's fantastic! Also have to give my praise to Amy Smart who plays a lot of different versions of her character; she was great in the movie. What I also found interesting is that in every reality there was something Evan wanted to change to make life better for his friends, but when he finds a reality that has all his friends in good state and he's the one who's messed up, he still wants to change it. I also found that to be very relatable. I often found myself thinking what I could've done, or not done, to help someone, but then I got rid of that thought because of what could've happened to me. Kind of hard to explain, but I'm sure you get the point. Ashton Kutcher is okay in this role. I would've prefered a more serious actor in the role, but he didn't ruin the movie or anything like it, I'm just so used to seeing him in comedic roles that this was a really weird turn. He does a solid job. Now, the ending(s). I watched the Director's Cut first and I predicted the ending quite early, so I was quite disappointed when the ending hit. It just wasn't very impactful for me. I watched the other three endings after finishing the movie and, in my opinion, the best ending is the "Open ending". It's a lot different from the DC one, but I found it a lot more satisfying. I know the DC ending makes a bit more sense considering the things said in the movie, but you can just see it coming from the beginning. All in all, The Butterfly Effect is a good movie which suffers from some very nonsensical plot points, mediocre child actors, but is very interesting to watch nevertheless. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I recommend watching the Theatrical Cut of this movie if you plan on watching the movie.
½ May 7, 2017
When I first saw this, it wrecked me emotionally for several days. I was a stupid kid then, but I maintain a soft spot for this movie as I reminisce the way it initially impacted me.
May 5, 2017
I don't remember being disappointed in this film, but I also don't remember thinking it was wonderful. There are moments that make no logical sense, and there were times where I actually laughed at the bad line delivery.

The ending was also a little boring and cliche, and I did see the original ending that was cut from it. I might have actually preferred the original, cut ending over the one we got. But maybe that's because I prefer darker stories.

Not bad, not great. It's just all right.
½ May 3, 2017
10 years before people misunderstood The Babadook, they were misunderstanding The Butterfly Effect.

This movie is not for the simple mind. It has more meaning to it than most critics can understand. This movie has to be the most underrated movie of all time. As you can tell, the score differs massively between critics and audiences. Listen to the audience if you are going to listen to anyone before deciding to watch this movie. You won't be disappointed.

Kutcher does a stellar job in this time travelling drama. There are a lot of taboo and touchy subjects but the actors' performances throughout were fantastic. It was very hard hitting, especially the Director's Cut scenes which were understandably not included in the Theatrical version.
½ April 10, 2017
A dark, twisting story with an original time travel gimmick that makes for quite a gripping movie. The director's cut is the best version despite its more poignant, but in someways sillier ending. Very rewatchable.
½ March 16, 2017
An interesting thriller that keeps you in suspense. (First and only full viewing - August 2006)
½ March 10, 2017
Neet twists. Excellent idea for a movie.
½ March 6, 2017
Worthless if the plot or theme hasn't any sense.
March 2, 2017
Supremely trashy and very very daft, but entertaining!
½ February 13, 2017
The Butterfly Effect is thought-provoking film about student- Evan, who can move in time and change his past.
½ February 2, 2017
Albeit having a slightly weak ending, this is still a severely underrated thriller that has solid performances and a very intriguing premise.
January 30, 2017
Wondered what the hell was going on at the beginning for the first half hour or so. But once it starts to make sense by the end I enjoyed it.
½ January 4, 2017
this is legit the most fucked up movie i ever saw
December 29, 2016
I like it! Great editing and presentation. Great performance by Ashton Kutcher as well. However if you ask me, the character should not blame himself for the decisions other people make but it's a great movie.
December 23, 2016
Critics always bash that one film that doesn't deserve to be bashed... unfortunately this is one of those films. Forget what they think, this is an excellent film!!!!!
½ December 3, 2016
Eventhough the film has its flaws and doesn't always make sense, it is fun to watch and entertaining.
September 29, 2016
The Butterfly Effect is a chilling and mind blowing thriller with a great performance from Ashton Kutcher!
September 9, 2016
This is the film I decided to write my English research paper about. Right now I am researching "informal" reviews of the movie. I will also be using this site for my working bibliography. I enjoy the alternate worlds Evan creates and how he tries to influence his past, but must make the ultimate sacrifice of pushing Love away. Does this reflect our culture of "required paring"? Is it taboo to be single?
August 31, 2016
This movie is seriously underrated. It is one of my favourites, and in my personal opinion, I thought that the plot was very intriguing.