The Caine Mutiny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Caine Mutiny Reviews

½ September 29, 2016
Mostly unconvincing Hollywood treatment of psychosis is over the top. Characters are really stereotypes moved around to dramatise the plot. Acting fortunately saves the film from being boring. Van Johnson solid as always, beside whom Bogart appears over-dramatic.
August 27, 2016
Saw this on 25/8/16
For a film made in 1954, The Caine Mutiny is texhnically splendid, but the courtroom action lacks a punch. However, the final twist is rather unexpected and the film has got some good performances.
½ May 21, 2016
There has been no mutiny in the US Navy, only in the fiction, like this film.
It seems a little strange to see Humphrey Bogart as a broken paranoid Captain
When you think that the film has ended after the trial, it comes the great final scene with the defendant lawyer facing the betrayer official.
½ December 7, 2015
My love for Bogart is no secret, next to Steve McQueen he's the King of Cool. That's why it's refreshing to see him strectch into the paranoid mind of the (probably) PTSD strucken Captain Queeg. Dated in it's portray of Keith's romance which thankfully is more of a sidenote, and sometimes it's musical score. The rest: gold.
½ October 13, 2015
One of the few war movies I like because it takes place during peace time. This movie has to be Bogart's best performance as Captain Queege. By the time The Caine Mutiny had been filmed Bogart's acting style had mellowed and matured considerably, like a fine wine I guess. Bogart doesn't try to steal the show as the pivotal Queege, instead he lays back and projects the isolation that. Queege must have elt as Captain. It's the story of a veteran WWII commander trying to impose his war value discipline on between wars, unseasoned officers. What is Queege's undoing is not his response to criticism of his own mistakes and his desire to discipline insubordination and malfeasance but the manner in which he responds. Outside o military liffe, many of the goings on that Queege tries to punish, would have been punishable as well. It's just that Queege losses his cool too often and that becomes his undoing. Bogart's over top acting style is perfect for the emotionally battle scarred Queege. Van Johnson and red MacMurray are equally good at conveying the young boys network new officers that seemed to develop on board what was, but eventually wouldn't be, Queege's ship. Supposedly the book and movie were based on a true story. It's another example, pioneered by Hemingway, o a bestseller being adapted to film.
September 6, 2015
Bogart just shines as he slowly unravels and gives us another memorable character to talk about for years to come.Good WW2 courtroom drama with depth.
½ July 2, 2015
Very good film. Bogart is totally different in this as a shell shocked captain but still excellent. Some of the other characters are fantastic. I found Keith though to be a bit of a tool and his whole relationship with his mother & girlfriend got on my tits. Still though I thoroughly enjoyed the film overall.
May 19, 2015
you bunch of ass-hole trash . I was sharing these movies with GOOD PEOPLE 1980's. With out a thought of tryin to scab there crumbs. YOU R SCABS THE LOWEST FORM OF LIFE . WHITE TRASH
April 6, 2015
Starring Humphrey Bogart, Van Johnson, Fred MacMurray and Jose Ferrer. Bogart is mesmerizing as the unbalanced Lt. Cmdr. Queeg, whose erratic behaviour drives his crew to mutiny. Fine support from Johnson, MacMurray and Ferrer, though the film loses points for a ridiculous romantic subplot involving no-talent newcomer Robert Francis. Oddly, actor Tom Tully, whose performance barely registers, received an Oscar nomination. Directed by Edward Dmytryk.
½ March 20, 2015
Excellent. One of the best military films you'll ever see. Great acting, directing, and pacing.
February 17, 2015
I liked this film a lot even though my expectations weren't that high. I've seen Humphrey in several films that are considered some of the greatest, but I found his performance in this the most enjoyable to watch. While the movie has flaws(like some poor background shots and an unneeded romance) his performance does not. You can see the progression or regression of his character's mental stability as the picture goes on and to me it was exciting. The movie was basically more an analysis of the characters than a war film full of action. There were two great scenes that I will always remember in this film. I can never forgot how Queegs was on the stand and took out the two silver marbles and knowing that right then he was through. Bogart's performance to me was second to only one. See the movie and be a little patient, but the performances are there.
February 16, 2015
well acted with a neurotic heart breaking performance from Bogart, the film is also emotionally and intellectually complex
½ November 5, 2014
A little overrated by the critics I think, with a screenplay and acting performances somewhat melodramatic, over-acted. Fairly entertaining nonetheless.
August 22, 2014
I was not a fan of how it played out, but the movie is worth seeing for Humphrey Bogart's part in it and his obsession over the strawberries. (First and only viewing - 2/27/2011)
½ August 20, 2014
Bogie is clearly going for an Oscar, and he is good. The movie progresses along its plot line with good pacing. But overall, I feel that this story plays a little bit too cute and clever at the end, with the author trying to turn the tables on us. For me, as the movie portrays him, Queeg is clearly looney tunes, culminating in his paralysis during the typhoon which could have sunk the ship. Therefore the mutiny was justified and the dressing down of the men by their lawyer is not really justified. And there are lot of predictable cliches in the various speeches. After seeing I was curious if it was based in fact, if such an incompetent captain could remain captain. In fact, Navy history has no record of any captain being relieved under Article 184 during WWII.
½ July 13, 2014
A very good movie, but the book was even better. Bogie is great as Cmdr Philop Queeg. Great supporting roles by Robert Francis (who died in an auto accident shortly after filming), Tom Tully, Warner Anderson, EG Marshall, Lee Marvin, Claud Akins and Katherine Warren as Willie's mother. But I think Fred MacMurray never got credit for his stellar portrayal of Lt. Tom Keefer, urbane writer, amateur psychologist, cynical of all things Navy, and deep down a back-stabbing coward. Jose Ferrer also excelled in his role as lawyer Barney Greenwald.
July 13, 2014
Humphrey Bogart? was the king of cool, fast talking and fast thinking and impossibly charismatic. He was also a ludicrously talented performer, and the way he effortlessly shifts through the gears - from authoritative to draconian to paranoid and insecure and frightened - in The Caine Mutiny? is a sight to behold. Meandering and at times heavy-handed, the film is worth the 2-hour watch because of an imperious Bogey, and the brilliantly blistering righteous indignation of its finale.
½ May 2, 2014
Bogart puts in a sterling performance. The story draws us in to all the different angles and takes us nicely to an uncertain ending.
April 28, 2014
Light on legal action, heavy on personal melodrama. With a great (& insightful) speech by Ferer - possibly Bogart's most nuanced performance. Marvin steals a couple scenes.
April 23, 2014
Great naval, legal and psychological drama. Solid, believable and gritty plot. Has a bit of padding though - the romantic sub-plot was quite pointless and had no bearing on the main theme (though it does give May Wynn some screentime, and for that we are eternally grateful). Deft direction by Edward Dmytryk.

A unique Humphrey Bogart performance in that he is not the perfect, aloof, cool hero. Here his character is far from perfect and is quite vulnerable. Certainly shows a depth and breadth to Bogart's acting ability that many people didn't know existed. Superb performance by Bogart.

Good supporting performances from Van Johnson and Jose Ferrer. Robert Francis as Ensign Keith is a bit unconvincing and Fred MacMurray lays on the elitist, high-brow pretense a bit thick. As mentioned, May Wynn's role is unnecessary, but we don't mind seeing her...