Candy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Candy Reviews

December 10, 2016
I am extremely picky about art and films and books and I have seen this movie a number of times. I really like it. Not entirely sure why it has such a low rating. I have actually seen some very attractive drug addicts in my life so I kind of disagree about how good they look although I think they could have made themselves look a little worse for wear to appease the masses but the performances are outstanding. I personally feel that it is both lead actors best role. Sure Heath has won an award blah blah but this is truly a fascinating piece of art. I heard the book that it is based on is spectacularly beautifully written.
I rated this movie so highly because I can'tr actually think of a more favorite movie of mine out there. This is my top pick believe it or not. Weird I know but it just makes me feel good in a melancholy way that sticks with me for hours and days after.
I like Candy and I don't care about the reviews...
November 4, 2016
I disagree with the consensus of the critics, I think it shows that Heroine addiction can happen to anyone, and then they do look shitty, and all addicts are self pitying, that didn't stop me from loving or identifying with the characters.
½ December 3, 2015
I had no idea going into Candy what I was in store for with this movie. Heath Ledger in a movie about heroin, I figured it was worth a shot since I am a fan of his. Candy at its basic is a love story about two heroin addicts trying to remain happy while feeding their addiction by just about any means necessary. In most drug related movies anytime they show one of the characters going through heroin withdrawal it is usually a little bit overboard and overblown as in The Basketball Diaries. But Candy is pretty spot on when it came time for that scene. A very disturbing sequence where the couple in the film decides they are going to kick heroin cold turkey and buckle down for what is about to hit and hit really hard. I would classify the movie overall is pretty emotional, but rather boring. Ledger is great as he normally is, and Abby Cornish is very stellar as well. The two work well together, but there just is not enough substance there to make this a great film.
November 17, 2015
Candy is one of those movies that will pull you into their little world and have you love and hate the characters multiple times before it's over. Heath Ledger and Abbie Cornish portray lovers addicted to each other and to drugs. They spiral deeper and deeper into addiction and this film beautifully captures every second of it. This movie really shows some raw emotion from both actors and in my opinion is one of Heath Ledger's best films.
October 4, 2015
Sad film but amazingly acted and thought provoking.
December 29, 2014
8/10
a lot of happiness that end in no time
November 21, 2014
Yay a GOOD aussie movie, and damn Heath Ledger so damn hot..
September 25, 2014
So sad ):!! But so amazing! Heath ledger was perf in this film. R.i.p
½ July 13, 2014
"Candy" is a different type of movie. It is at once troubling and beautiful.Ledger and Cornish give stunning performances. Worth seeing at least once.
May 31, 2014
I think its a good Movie, and the actors are amazing... The baby scene is just to painfull to watch..
½ April 17, 2014
Heaven. Earth. Hell. Broken into three parts, Candy, starts strong with good vibes and full of joy. Once the drugs are introduced, you soon realize how short lived this happiness will last. The downward spiral of Dan and Candy's life propels out of control, at a pace much like Requiem for a Dream. I so wanted them to succeed and live out a life bursting with love and all things just as glorious, but sadly, this is not the case. Heroin on paper does not sound as bad as other drugs, but when you see movies that portray heroin addicts, suddenly you realize, just how insanely addictive the drug can be. Ledger and Cornish did such a phenomenal job during their withdrawal scenes, that I actually felt like I could relate to what they were experiencing, and it was awful. Kermit, managed to say hello during one scene, and boy was it emotional. My admiration towards Geoffrey Rush is growing with every single movie I see him in. Man he is good. I don't know if it's his voice or what, but every time I see him act, I get this warm fuzzy feeling like he's my favorite grandpa. Anyways, I am damn proud of Dan at the end of the movie, which I think you'll agree. Solid movie gem! Long live Ledger!!!
April 12, 2014
A really great movie! The acting is outstanding, especially Heath Ledger and Geoffry Rush, they were terrific!! Although being ultimately depressing and a very difficult watch, the themes and characters were so moving and provocative that I couldn't take my attention off it for a moment! i loved it, 5 stars!
March 30, 2014
It was a very sad ,affecting and well acted and overall makes it a very strong film
½ March 21, 2014
there is nothing that really makes it stick out or memorable, but I would not discourage anyone from seeing it,good performances and a look at the reality of addiction..
½ March 7, 2014
Really show's how just one hit of something can spiral into an all consuming addiction. And also show's how it can destroy a healthy relationship and two people can become selfish and put drugs first, it also show's how people will do anything to make money to get the drugs or to get the drugs. It also show's how an addiction and drugs can mess with anyone's head to the point they have a breakdown or become mentally unstable.
February 16, 2014
Both characters were played perfectly by Heath Ledger and Abbie Cornish. This movie was intense and emotionally overwhelming. Yes, there is an enormous amount of movies about drugs but I'm not sorry to say that this one steps out.
½ February 14, 2014
Story continues to move in same graph from the start, nothing but a predictable screenplay.
January 22, 2014
Heroin is a little more complicated than this, mate. Can white upper class Australia please stop exploiting "junkies" to be eligible for grants from the government? Thank you.
December 10, 2013
awesome movie rip heath ledger
October 26, 2013
The end was so sad but I liked, because it had a deep meaning.