Cash On Demand - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cash On Demand Reviews

December 18, 2015
An excellent little Christmas thriller with Peter Cushing as a pompous, mean bank manager and Andre Morrell as the sophisticated, suave bank robber. Their two performances are fantastic and ably supported in particular by Richard Vernon as Pearson, the Chief Clerk.
November 18, 2014
Very interesting "perfect robbery" scenario that has a cunning criminal go up against a bank manager and forces him to rob his own bank, otherwise face consequences to his family. Cushing is great as usual, but the plot does run thin after a little while.
½ February 5, 2014
I cannot begin to describe how much fun this little movie is, as on paper it doesn't amount to much. Made during the golden age of Hammer's reign of horror movies and thrillers, this one is pretty tame in the shock department, which is perhaps why it has been forgotten. In fact, tonally it has more in common with the films of Billy Wilder and Howard Hawks then it does the Hitchcock and James Whale movies the studio most often bounced off. But the change of pace is such a welcome surprise for those making their way through this legendary studio's catalogue. The film has a good script, which was adapted from a play, but it is the two towering performances by Peter Cushing and Andre Morell which elevate it to the staggering piece of entertainment that it is. Sometimes overshadowed (understandably) by the dominating screen presence of Christopher Lee, Cushing was actually Hammer's most critical player, and here he shows a performance of a different color. As the greedy, selfish, business-first-and-no-pleasure-anyway Harry Fordyce, he transforms himself and defies expectations. And when Andre Morell steps in, who delivers the best performance of the whole production as the blisteringly intelligent and conniving conman, the two give one of the most riveting battle of wits this reviewer has seen in some time. Filled with humor, suspense and one of the most off-the-wall heists you'll ever watch, this is must-see entertainment of the highest order.
½ August 8, 2013
Starts off looking rather boring, but is actually rather a clever plot (which I imagine inspired a few real-life bank robberies!), briskly paced with a very clear print for 1961. I particularly liked Colonel Gore. A good 7.5/10
December 6, 2012
At this moment, your wife has an electrode attached to each side of her head.

A ruthless bank manager that is hard on his employees is caught off guard when the district manager shows up to inspect the facility. Just when it seems things can't get worse for the manager, the district manager turns out to be a bank robber that has the manger's family hostage. The ruthless manager goes from hard ass to victim.

"What is it you want?"
"Just some money."

Quentin Lawrence, director of Catweazle, The Ghosts of Motley Hall, The Crawling Eye, The Secret of Blood Island, We Shall See, and Playback, delivers Cash on Demand. The storyline for this picture was way better than I anticipated. The characters were outstanding and the storyline came together perfectly. The conclusion was brilliant. The cast includes Peter Cushing, Andre Morell, Richard Vernon, and Lois Daine.

"Take off your glasses."
"To what point."
"Just take them off."

I DVR'd this picture due to it starring the great Peter Cushing and I didn't expect much based on the plot; however, from the moment it started I was mesmerized by Cushing's performance. This movie has a strong hint of The Christmas Carol mixed with a ruthless bank robber and sadistic manager. This is one of my favorite Cushing pictures. I strongly recommend this gem.

"I think I caught you flat footed."

Grade: A+
½ November 14, 2012
The script is very good--the acting of Peter Cushing and André Morell make it exceptional--A solid caper flick!!
August 12, 2012
Fantastic thriller from Hammer studios!
October 22, 2011
A good movie but it seemed like it was over way to soon
½ September 7, 2011
Described as probably the finest British B picture ever filmed, this is sort of Hammer's version of A Christmas Carol and is essentially a two hander for Peter Cushing and Andre Morell.