Caveman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Caveman Reviews

½ June 26, 2011
Caveman, looks silly and sometimes presents a poor script. But this Carl Gottlieb's comedy is really funny together with his special effects and unforgettable scenes.
deano
½ March 5, 2007
This spoof of One Million Years B.C. with ex-Beatle Ringo Starr as the prehistoric hero is ridiculous and quite brainless fun because of the amount of sexual innuendo, it is definitely not recommended for kids. The delightfully ridiculous stop-motion animation dinosaurs led by David Allen are hilarious!
flixsterman
½ January 18, 2009
One of my guilty pleasures.
nuheart
½ January 5, 2007
A guilty pleasure from my childhood -- but not guilty enough to rate higher than this...
April 3, 2009
Couldn't even make it to the end.
iLeo
December 25, 2007
Hilarious!
chadroesti
June 23, 2007
Back when you had to beat it before you could eat it
August 16, 2015
I would like to think that this movie was made to be bad. If that is the case, it pulls that off nicely. The humor doesn't always work, but when it does you get a few chuckles. Not much to say, the plot is kind of thin, what little of a plot there is.
½ June 20, 2012
It may not fit the Webster's definition of what a 'good film' is, but somehow this film has always entertained *me*. I love Ringo Starr, young Dennis Quaid, and Shelly Long as our protagonist cave-dwellers. The stop-motion effects are fabulous: it's like a Ray Harryhausen comedy.

Of course "Caveman" is stupid, but in its defense, it shamelessly acknowledges that. It's better than recent fare such as "Encino Man", the "Flintstones" movies, "10, 000 B.C." or "Year One", which I wasn't even able to finish.
March 11, 2012
Pretty hilarious. The entire film is caveman talk, and even through that the characters are pretty interesting and funny. The dinosaurs are pretty bad stop motion creations, but it adds to the goofiness of the film. It's a great prehistoric comedy.
½ August 1, 2011
When you're a member of one of the biggest rock groups of all times like the Beatles, you get a lot of free time on your hands when the band dissolves. For instance, if you're Paul McCartney you form a new band like Wings and make a lot more hit records. If you're John Lennon, you write and record "Double Fantasy". And if you're poor Ringo Starr, you make "Caveman", a silly and unnecessary comedy filled with fart and poop jokes. Much like the recent "Quest For Fire", the dialogue was all apparently made up strictly for this film. That's where the similarities between the two films end, however.
I didn't understand the film's special effects. The dinosaurs are all made out of clay, and while I wasn't expecting convincing prehistoric creatures, I don't understand the decision to make them this ridiculous. Kids may be entertained by them. The jokes I did get. I just didn't laugh.
Shelley Long, of all people, is engaging and likable in her movie debut. The rest of the cast hams it up, to no avail. "Caveman" can best de described as a curiosity from days gone by. It does not merit being unearthed.
April 15, 2011
I just re-watched the movie "Caveman" (1981) with Ringo Star after many years of seeing it. The movie is really stupid. There really is not much of a plot. The acting is terrible. The attempt at comedy is childish and stale. I love it. A must see.
½ September 18, 2010
It's actually really funny. I found it to actually be original regardless of how cheesy it actually is. Definitely worth viewing if your a beatles fan especially.
½ May 8, 2010
I recently found this one to show to my daughter, who is a big Ringo Starr fan. Even though this film is now about 30 years old, we both still laughed and laughed. The jokes are juvenile, but well placed. Very much recommended!
½ March 23, 2010
Hah! Who actually thought that this movie was a good idea? Anyone? Well, it was terrible overall (so bad I had to stop watching it, mostly cause I'd bust a gut laughing.) It was stupid, yet funny because of the poor (nix that, EXTREMELY poor) special effects. Alas, that alone cannot save this movie either. It was just bad, and not quite bad enough to be considered a "so-bad-it-was-good" movie.

To Ringo Starr: If you had fun making this movie, that's great with me. But think before you go to a casting call next time, please? Still a fan :).
½ March 23, 2010

March 1, 2010
This film has a very special place in my heart. Whenever I was sick when I was growing up and my Dad was on 'Sick Kid' watch, he'd run out to the rental store and bring this home.

This was a really big favorite when I had my tonsils removed in the 7th grade. A couple years ago Josh found this for me on DVD...when I'm feeling under the weather or sick, in the same old tradition, he offers to pop it in to watch.

It was a simple script and the bulk of it has made it into my friends vocabulary. There's nothing better than running into others who laugh and nod as words like 'pookah' and 'zug-zug' tickles peoples memories and they join in with words they remember. It's especially fun to try and re-enact the fire pit music scene around the fire pit when camping. ;)

This is a guilty pleasure flick for sure.
½ January 11, 2010
This iz crazzy !! I LOVE IT .. When that guy pees Ice cubes..
And is chased by the hairy Ice Monster OMg??