Caveman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Caveman Reviews

July 25, 2016
Best movie that I have ever seen!!! Ringo's acting makes every part of the movie better than my life!!
½ December 30, 2015
Caveman is occasionally clever enough to warrant a grin, but it's ultimately a parody that lacks targets or inspiration and features some of the most laughable special effects put to film.
December 5, 2015
The musical score I thought was great!!!!
August 16, 2015
I would like to think that this movie was made to be bad. If that is the case, it pulls that off nicely. The humor doesn't always work, but when it does you get a few chuckles. Not much to say, the plot is kind of thin, what little of a plot there is.
August 11, 2015
Couldn't even make it to the end.
½ September 19, 2014
I don't care what everyone says, this is enough fun for me.
½ June 6, 2014
never tired of watching this one, watched it 4 times and will again
½ April 20, 2014
All the stop-motion effects in the world cannot save what amounts to a prehistoric film that's indecisive as to if its a spoof of the genre, or just a regular underdog comedy. It also doesn't help that, despite spirited performances, the actors are reduced to monotonous 'grugging' and lame slapstick.
½ March 29, 2014
I eat it before I beat it.
½ November 26, 2013
Just watch the Flintsones and all their oversized food jokes instead.
November 25, 2013
Critics might the this, some might critics for the simple dumb humor but it's great silly humor for all ages such a guilty pleasure
½ September 7, 2013
If John Matuszak with a crap stuck on his nose or Barbara Bach being thrown into dinosaur poop sounds like a rollicking good time, "Caveman" is the film for you! I remember finding this film hilarious as a kid, but Ringo Starr leading his tribe of misfit cave dwellers did hot hold up with time. Written by frequent Mel Brooks collaborator Rudy De Luca along with "Jaws" scribe Carl Gottlieb, who also directs, this film had the possibility of being a to "One Million Years B.C. " what "Blazing Saddles" was to the western, but it was really just not all that funny. There are a few not yet famous folks in the cast, including Dennis Quaid, Richard Moll (as a giant snow creature), Jack Gilford, and Avery Schreiber (the guy from those 80s Doritos commercials). Shelley Long does stand out as being very endearing and empathetic as a quiet cave girl (her first major film role). For die hard Ringo fans only.
July 3, 2013
Utterly awful film. A parody of One Million Years B.C. but never came anywhere near to being funny.
½ June 15, 2013
While funny only 3 times, the whole movie is a waste of time, not even Ringo is enough to make it worth. Sadly.
May 28, 2013
Caveman (Carl Gottlieb, 1981)

Caveman was a favorite of mine in the junior-high days, so when it popped up on Netflix Instant, I figured I'd give it another go and see if it was still as much fun as I remembered it being. I doubt it will surprise anyone that the answer is ?no?, but I admit to a great deal of bias here, and I'm probably not going to paint the movie being anywhere near as awful as it actually is; you have been warned.

Plot: Atouk (Ringo Starr?yes, that Ringo Starr) is the runt of his tribe, but that doesn't stop him from lusting after Lana (The Black Belly of the Tarantula's Barbara Bach), consort of the tribe's leader, Tonda (The Goonies' John Matuszak). Fast-forward through a series of misadventures that gets Atouk thrown out of the tribe and hooks him back up with Lar (Dennis Quaid), one of the few members of his former tribe who actually liked him, but had been left for dead after a dinosaur attack. Atouk and Lar slowly build up their own tribe of outcasts, misfits, and wanderers, including Tala (the second feature-film appearance for Second City TV alumna Shelley Long). Atouk and Tala grow close...but close enough to derail Atouk's singular goal of winning Lana?

Saying ?it's a Hollywood historical rom-com from the eighties? should be more than enough to drive you away, though with the understanding that I'm going kinda loose on ?historical? there. But you get the idea. Inane toilet humor abounds, the romance plot is entirely predictable, etc. But there are three things about this movie that might make you want to watch it: (1) Jim Danforth's stop-motion dinosaur effects are a lovely, and effective, tribute to the golden age of Hollywood. (2) Lalo Schifrin's infectious main title theme will get stuck in your head for months on end. (3) Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach actually did end up together?with the result that both of them effectively retired from feature films not long after they got married (though Starr, of course, had a long and successful career on the Thomas the Tank Engine/Shining Time Station TV show). Starr and Bach both last appeared on the big screen in 1986's To the North of Katmandu (though as I write this IMDB lists Starr as having a cameo in a 2013 production that's still filming). And if that isn't a reason to celebrate this movie, I don't know what is. **
April 17, 2013
This was actually pretty funny and kind of fun, even for a movie where they don't speak and proper words for 90 mins. Funny to see Ringo Starr in a movie even one as dumb as this. Ill never watch it again but it was fun for what it was.
February 18, 2013
Perpetually funny and can be enjoyed regardless of the language you speak yourself.
January 7, 2013
It is so bad it is funny!
December 7, 2012
Looks like it could be a good movie, will keep my eyes peeled.