Certain Women Reviews

• Feb 23, 2019

Watching grass grow may be more interesting. A movie only critics could love. There is not a plot.

• Dec 15, 2018

Pointless movie. Did not enjoy, sorry Michelle Williams and Laura Dern wasted their time on this.

• Nov 26, 2018

A slow moving up close glimpse into situations of three women whose desires are unspoken, unclear and seemingly unrequited. Trains, remote camping, and long distance road trips set the scenes for quiet lives where satisfaction remains elusive despite effort to the contrary. Fine performances, scenically authentic, and heartwrenchingly unresolved. Guard against the bleak aftermath of this film and try not to paint your walls grey.

• Nov 17, 2018

This movie is painfully slow, repetitive, and absolutely boring.

This movie is painfully slow, repetitive, and absolutely boring.

• Oct 27, 2018

The only reason I'm generously giving this pointless, dull drama one star is because of the great actresses who starred in it. The script is a disaster and the painstaking pace and lack of events proves the director has absolutely no idea how to make a film. The stories of these women don't coherently merge and are poorly connected. Such a waste of talent on a dumb movie.

• Sep 26, 2018

I'm confused. I saw the last four films of director / screenwriter Kelly Reichardt and still, I cannot make my mind up. Do I like her work? Probably the answer is not too much, if I have to ask myself this, every single time. The one I like the most is "Meek's Cutoff" which is the only one she did not write, and that can be a clue. I see the points she wants to make with her movies and I like the feeling and realism she fill her work with, but I am never particularly moved by it. "Certain Women" is basically an anthology of 3 little stories, 3 little worlds with 4 strong women in it, and just because I am a feminist (guys can be feminist too I hope) I will give 3 full stars, one for each story, but alas, I will not define it as memorable.

• Sep 07, 2018

I'm not entirely sure why this movie exists. It's split up into three parts, each focusing on a different woman. These three stories don't really have any connection other than being somewhat in proximity to one another, and each being about a woman. The first story is interesting, Laura Dern and Jared Harris are good, and it's satisfying when the movie catches up with them at the end. The second story is pretty forgettable. The characters aren't all that likeable and it's given the least amount of screentime. But the third story really sells the movie. Lily Gladstone is stellar, she speaks so little but communicates so much. She pulled at my heartstrings, and really made me empathize with her character. The whole movie is worth seeing mostly for her third of the movie (supported by Kristen Stewart, who is also quite good).

• Aug 10, 2018

Well, I finished watching this, but only because of the cast. This is the kind of boring movie that gives indies a bad name. Sorry, I love indies but this thing was pretty pointless all the way through

• Aug 09, 2018

I checked this out from the library (thank goodness I didn't waste my money on it!) because of the cast. But, even talented actresses added nothing to this film. I kept waiting...and waiting... for a point to this movie. There isn't one. Absolutely, ridiculously boring. I literally fell asleep. It takes a real stinker of a movie to cause me to do that. On a positive note, may help with insomnia. I have no idea why this movie is so critically acclaimed and received so many accolades. Were they watching the same movie? Did they fall asleep, too, and confuse it with their dreams? I don't know. But my advice: don't waste your time.

• Jul 29, 2018

Leisurely paced and sensitively rendered, Kelly Reichardt's interwoven three vignettes of forlorn women longing for the human connections evoke poetry from the quiet yet profoundly beautiful narratives.