Certain Women Reviews

• Apr 29, 2020

worst movie ever put me to sleep

worst movie ever put me to sleep

• Feb 26, 2020

For foreign amateur reviewers on metacritic who complain that Hollywood never strays far from explosions and car chases, this is a reminder you can always find American art-school drama. It's a character study about women, obviously, three short stories that just barely and arbitrarily intersect. (Our favorite one about men is "Saint Jack" [1978] with Ben Gazzara in Singapore, which was shot in secret to avoid Singapore's nanny-state censors.) Some homegrown amateurs on metacritic complain that nothing "happened." Kids, write this down: there was a lot happening in emotional depth and light feminist themes in the backdrop of a vast, lonely, Montana vista that was a treat in itself. Not everything needs to follow a linear narrative with dramatic spikes or tropes. In any case, it's great to see Laura Dern in low gear after her manic performance in A-List TV ("Enlightened") as well as Jared Harris from "Mad Men."

• Feb 17, 2020

Certain Women is a quiet study of a film. A film about four strong women and how they navigate their way through the world. Kelly Reichardt makes slow, contemplative films and this one is no different. It does move at a slow pace but I think that actually deepens the impact rather than lessens it. It allows the viewer to take in all the subtleties and enjoy it even further. This film is based on short stories and it feels that way with separate stories about women in small town Montana. There is a lawyer battling to help her client, which ultimately ends in a hostage situation. A wife and mother trying to build her dreamhouse and lastly a young lawyer teaching a night class. In the night class stumbles a young farm hand who develops an ambiguous crush. We quietly see how they view the world and more importantly how the world views them. It's a very quiet film with only one scene having a music score. It is superbly acted with Laura Dern, Michelle Williams, Kristen Stewart and newcomer Lily Gladstone showing off their acting skills. Reichardt is superb at making naturalistic and realistic films that glow in their quiet humanity. This film is no different.

• Feb 23, 2019

Watching grass grow may be more interesting. A movie only critics could love. There is not a plot.

• Dec 15, 2018

Pointless movie. Did not enjoy, sorry Michelle Williams and Laura Dern wasted their time on this.

• Nov 26, 2018

A slow moving up close glimpse into situations of three women whose desires are unspoken, unclear and seemingly unrequited. Trains, remote camping, and long distance road trips set the scenes for quiet lives where satisfaction remains elusive despite effort to the contrary. Fine performances, scenically authentic, and heartwrenchingly unresolved. Guard against the bleak aftermath of this film and try not to paint your walls grey.

• Nov 17, 2018

This movie is painfully slow, repetitive, and absolutely boring.

This movie is painfully slow, repetitive, and absolutely boring.

• Oct 27, 2018

The only reason I'm generously giving this pointless, dull drama one star is because of the great actresses who starred in it. The script is a disaster and the painstaking pace and lack of events proves the director has absolutely no idea how to make a film. The stories of these women don't coherently merge and are poorly connected. Such a waste of talent on a dumb movie.

• Sep 26, 2018

I'm confused. I saw the last four films of director / screenwriter Kelly Reichardt and still, I cannot make my mind up. Do I like her work? Probably the answer is not too much, if I have to ask myself this, every single time. The one I like the most is "Meek's Cutoff" which is the only one she did not write, and that can be a clue. I see the points she wants to make with her movies and I like the feeling and realism she fill her work with, but I am never particularly moved by it. "Certain Women" is basically an anthology of 3 little stories, 3 little worlds with 4 strong women in it, and just because I am a feminist (guys can be feminist too I hope) I will give 3 full stars, one for each story, but alas, I will not define it as memorable.

• Sep 07, 2018

I'm not entirely sure why this movie exists. It's split up into three parts, each focusing on a different woman. These three stories don't really have any connection other than being somewhat in proximity to one another, and each being about a woman. The first story is interesting, Laura Dern and Jared Harris are good, and it's satisfying when the movie catches up with them at the end. The second story is pretty forgettable. The characters aren't all that likeable and it's given the least amount of screentime. But the third story really sells the movie. Lily Gladstone is stellar, she speaks so little but communicates so much. She pulled at my heartstrings, and really made me empathize with her character. The whole movie is worth seeing mostly for her third of the movie (supported by Kristen Stewart, who is also quite good).