Chaos Theory Reviews

• Jan 11, 2021

Did not finish @10 mins

Did not finish @10 mins

• Aug 19, 2020

Great watch, will watch again, and do recommend. There is nothing like watching a good actor pretending to lose their mind, and Ryan Reynolds is a great actor, as far as I'm concerned. While I actually like both sides of his personality dilemma, the story is actually written in a way that you can feel bad for him, and he becomes humanized through it. I don't think the wife character is a bad person, but she's written in a way that makes the situation understandable. The whole movie has a thick atmosphere to it, it draws you in, and I forget I'm watching a movie for quite a bit of it. It might seem a bit contrived, but the story is masterful in a very unique, chaotic way.

• May 02, 2020

I loved this flick that reminds us what makes people family is love and being there for each other.

• Apr 08, 2020

This is a great movie...a joy to watch. Completely confused on the bad reviews!

This is a great movie...a joy to watch. Completely confused on the bad reviews!

• Mar 13, 2020

Normally I could happily watch Emily Mortimer and Sarah Chalke paint a shed for 90 minutes. But they dont paint a shed here, they make the best of a crappy script that substitutes gratuitous cruelty for the usual sitcom situations. A few laughs, but not worth the trouble.

• Jan 17, 2019

Cute but improbable, this film will engage due to strong performances. However, medical science nerds may not buy the central premise. Between the beard and âthe truth,â? and RRâ(TM)s build, come on! Still, itâ(TM)s a sweet enough distraction with solid leads and supporting actors.

• Jan 15, 2019

CHAOS THEORY (2008) is foremost a drama - not a comedy. While this drama offers an occasional funny or light-hearted moment, the story is essentially all mature drama. In fact, the film is quite serious and sad at points, with heavy subjects about love, fidelity, and fertility. Thematically, it's not for the kids or teenagers. Ryan Reynolds was not the best choice for such a serious role, so the producers likely cast him for his growing popularity at the time. Consequently, many viewers seem to have expected a hilarious farce. Instead, the film delivers heavy "grown-up" topics with little humor. Nevertheless, while unexpected, it was a "moving movie" experience for me. -January 2019

• Jan 13, 2019

One of Ryan Reynolds bests. (Besides Deadpool) An absolutely great movie... recommend seeing

• Jul 09, 2018

I remember going, as an 18 year old, to see Chaos Theory in theaters on a date. At the time, it was perfect; only 85 minutes long (good for a short attention span) and easy enough to stop paying attention to in order to have a make out session with the girl I brought. Running through Ryan Reynolds' backlog of films as an adult, though, and paying full attention to it...I absolutely HATE this movie. Let me tell you why: * It's not funny. I think it's supposed to be a dramedy, but it is NOT funny. No part of it is, and I'm not sure much of it (aside from Reynolds' possibly improvised banter) has any hint of comedy to it. * It's heavy. Like really heavy. Some of the themes involved are not only ludicrous in terms of the sheer coincidence, but they're also horrible. Once you learn that the main character's child is actually the seed of his lecherous best friend, there's really no coming back. It is a FEEL BAD film from that point forward. Which is the opposite of what people go to a movie like this for should be. * It's impossible to forgive Emily Mortimer's character. She is NOT this 'desirable vixen' that the movie makes her out to be, in any capacity - looks, personality (THE DAUGHTER IS HIS BEST FRIEND'S!!! WTF?!?), demeanor...It makes no fucking sense but is constantly alluded to. And Emily Mortimer plays her without a shred of charm. The only other significant female characters are also shitty people; Sarah Chalke (one of my favorite characters, just because she has her own agenda and life) is constantly slurring-her-speech drunk, and the other one abandons her baby at the hospital before returning inexplicably. A real dim view of women, here. * Ryan Reynolds - he should never. Ever. Ever be cast in a role that intentionally diminishes his charm. I know he wasnt a big enough star at this time to really push back on the script, but he is pretty unlikable here, which his stupid lists and shit, his dumb glasses and his ugly hair cut. They wasted a huge asset. This lesson was clearly not taken to heart, as The Hitman's Body Guard places him a straight man role too for some reason, to similarly diminishing returns. * Buddy. Buddy is one of the most unlikable characters in the history of cinema. What a piece of shit. And he's essentially forgiven by the end of the movie, despite making constant overt passes at his best friend's wife throughout? Fuck this ill conceived bullshit. I'm glad the director never made another feature film.

• Jun 10, 2018

Didn’t grip me. Fell asleep.

Didn’t grip me. Fell asleep.