Chasing Amy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chasing Amy Reviews

November 30, 2016
Has some really great raw dialogue.
November 21, 2016
The script is so one sided that it becomes irritating to really invest in any character.
½ November 1, 2016
I really hate when reviews are suddenly deleted and you have to try to write another review when the film has sat in the back of your head for over 10 months now. So keep in mind that I haven't seen this film in a while. What I can say about this film is that it isn't a comedy. It's more of a tragic story than anything, but what this film does well is turns a lot of cliches on their heads. Instead of a woman coming out of the closet and learning to cope with her decision and everyone around her, it's the opposite. She is a lesbian but falls in love with another man. Then questions of morals come up and if she is feeling really true love. That is where the heart of the story lies. It is not so much a comedy as much as a queer related romance. There is comedy in it sure, but it's not so much a hilarious comedy like Kevin Smith's Clerks. Much like that film, Kevin Smith can write amazing dialogue, but can't frame a shot to save his life. Overall, a good flick. Is it the happiest of stories? No, but one I believe should be given a shot.
October 14, 2016
Chasing Amy is a raunchy and surprisingly thoughtful Kevin Smith flick that demands multiple viewings.
October 4, 2016
It's not as great a film as it could've been but it was a pretty great flick for its time.
September 19, 2016
Not my favorite Kevin Smith movie, the dialogue and acting seem forced at times, but tackles some pretty big sexual taboos.
September 14, 2016
Review In A Nutshell:

I was certainly not prepared for what Kevin Smith had to offer for Chasing Amy. I came into this film only with my preconceived feelings towards the director, Kevin Smith, from the previous films that I have seen from him; Mallrats, Jersey Girl and Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I knew very little of the plot before coming into this as I had almost complete trust in Kevin Smith and I had this idea that all of his films aside from Jersey Girl, carry the same tone and humour. It was abundantly clear right when the film's complication hits, that Chasing Amy was going to be different.

I believe, at least from what I have seen that Chasing Amy is Smith's most socially thought provoking but also his most endearing film. I have seen his work on Jersey Girl, and though that film does provide more sentimentality, I never felt it was his most endearing. Chasing Amy earns it through its unadulterated and justified emotions. Characters in this film make decisions that would seem to far-fetched, but since Smith allows these individuals to actually contemplate on their decision, pitting side by side logic and instinct, the audience is never felt cheated or manipulated. Chasing Amy is a simple enough film that it is easy to pick up on the larger themes that Smith was trying to explore, while also following the complex emotions that Smith draws up on its romance. The film eventually reaches to a conclusion that I personally felt was appropriate to the characters, leaving me with a melancholy feeling that may completely change subsequent experiences with the film.

When coming into a Kevin Smith film, it is justified, given the nature of his stories and his relaxed satirical direction, for me to not expect anything outstanding from the performance of his cast. Chasing Amy was a powerhouse of a film in regards to its acting; Joey Lauren Adams killed it as Alyssa Jones. Adams plays this role that is conflicted with experiences of her past and shaped by a world that is different from Ben Affleck's character, Holden McNeill, while still coming out of it as the sympathetic character, even though it is Holden that the film primarily follows. Though Ben Affleck gave a strong performance in this film, he was always overshadowed by the intensity of Adams' delivery and I feel bad that she did not gain the accolades that the performance clearly deserved. Hopefully as the audience for this film grows, so will her praise. Do I really need to talk about the rest of the cast?

Chasing Amy effectively delivers through an emotionally layered and impacting performance by Joey Lauren Adams, and Kevin Smith's authentic view on the social ideas behind love, sexuality and genders. This is by far, Kevin Smith's best work; though I am hopeful for Clerks, I doubt it could surpass the ambition and impact that this Chasing Amy was able to supply.
September 13, 2016
The best love story ever made because it's unlike any other and doesn't go the happy Hollywood route.
½ September 1, 2016
I give this a 92/A-.
August 21, 2016
Chasing Amy (1999) C-113m. ??? 1/2 D: Kevin Smith. Ben Affleck, Joey Lauren Adams, Jason Lee, Dwight Ewell, Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes. Smith's best film is magnificent comedy-drama dealing with comic book artist who falls in love with attractive female artist even after learning she's gay. Smith's genuine, honest, always on-target script is fully upgraded by three-dimensional characters and two flawless lead performances. Oh yeah, and it's also side-splittingly funny.
July 21, 2016
Fresh idea to a romantic comedy. Good film making all the way around.
July 18, 2016
It's like Kevin Smith took everything he has to say about dating and dropped it into this meandering thesis paper on relationships. His best movie.
July 11, 2016
It's about lesbians. Cool.
July 7, 2016
I have had kind of a long journey to the conclusion that I don't really like Kevin Smith. I think "Clerks" is a good film, somewhat despite of, but also somewhat because of its artlessness. Smith has a tendency to overwrite his dialogue to the point that all of his characters just sound like him talking. In the cheap, staginess of "Clerks", this is almost a virtue. In "Chasing Amy", it's not. I wish I could say that's the only problem I have with the film, but it's not. First, I have plausibility issues. Smith wants me to buy that Affleck's character is such a catch that he actually turns lesbians straight. He hasn't created a character that's really got any attractive qualities, so I'm basically asked to take on faith that a fairly likeable and attractive young lesbian would throw away everything that has mattered up until now to date a close-minded average Joe who never listens to anything she says to him. It could happen I guess. That kind of points to my larger issue. The film seems to exist to justify that massive shortcomings of it's bland suburban jerk characters by being minimally tolerant of gay people, while simultaneously not taking their sexual orientation even minimally seriously. Given the way Smith writes, I can't help feeling that the film exists to let me know that Smith is okay with "the gays".
June 22, 2016
A more grown up Kevin Smith, but still funny. A story that makes us laugh and think a little. And there's more of Jay and Silent Bob !
Nous découvrons un Kevin Smith plus mature et c'est chouette et drôle. C'est une histoire qui nous fait rire et réfléchir. Et on retrouve Jay et Silencieux Bob !
June 18, 2016
it was ok not the best
½ May 22, 2016
"Chasing Amy" makes up for some unconvincing acting and character choices with an insightful look into gender roles and sexual orientation and how they can affect relationships matched by a heartfelt story anchored by multi-faceted characters.
½ April 21, 2016
I liked this movie a lot. I can definitely see how it was very progressive for the time it came out, and the performances by the primary cast is rock solid. Having said that, the appearance of Jay and Silent Bob in the film is so arbitrarily put in that it just seems abrupt. Furthermore, Chris Smith trying to act "casual, but philosophically impactful," is so unnatural. I'm not saying he isn't this way, it's just that watching his performance I am so consciously aware that he is acting that it takes away from whatever message he's actually trying to convey is diluted. Considering that this is supposed to be the climax of the story--both revealing why the movie is called what it is called, and to have the main character essentially have an epiphany, it just falls flat.
April 14, 2016
Makes you never want to screw up as bad as he did....
April 13, 2016
A perfect love-story filled with complete honesty and absolute truth that no other modern love-story can't even match and Kevin Smith's best film, Ben Affleck and especially Joey Lauren Adams are superb!