Chasing Amy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chasing Amy Reviews

July 30, 2017
There's a charm to the honesty of Kevin Smith's filmography. Much of his crowning achievements lack style in the same way that life does, but they do embrace the substance in frank dialogue and human communication.
July 20, 2017
:´( Me gusto mucho, creo que es buena película romántica para barón, debí verla en su momento y otro gallo cantara. La historia es redonda, pasa lo que debería pasar, y lo remata con lo de "Chasing Amy"
July 16, 2017
Story about a promiscous lesbian and her relationship with a comic book writer. Kevin Smith does an excellent job of keeping the movie's dialog fresh and different. But I hated the acting in this movie. Jason Lee and Joey Lauren Adams were not believable in many scenes.
June 9, 2017
Kevin Smith's most serious film. This film has amazing performances and features a lot of heart, with a very sweet story.
April 20, 2017
There's a lack of perfectionism in Kevin Smith's films that would be the downfall of probably anyone else's. But somehow he turns it into an earnestness that ends up bringing forward what his stories are really about.
½ March 14, 2017
My favorite Kevin Smith film, hands down. Which, in a way is odd because it's definitely more of a drama than the expected comedy. I'm not sure what was going through Smith's mind writing this masterpiece but I wish he would've made more like this. A brutally honest, sexy, gut wrenching honest love story with all the twists and turns. A knockout performance from Ben Affleck and Jason Lee. Joey Lauren Adams proves she was a force to noticed in the 90's as the misunderstood woman who is looking for answers to life, love after a questionable past. A definite keeper for any film lover!
February 20, 2017
Stinker. This movie is marginally watchable for the first half, the half before the relationship becomes consummated. Bizarre to trade off conflicts from falling in love with someone who can't love you back to some very strained bs about one's romantic interest's past sexual exploits...made no sense, I didn't care about AMy's past and the systemic drama unfolding seems very forced if not just fake(sex with two partners WHO CARES). This could have been a much more interesting movie had the writer been smart(had a brain) and made the whole movie about the internal conflict Amy may have gone through when coming to terms with the dynamics of her sexual instincts and true companionship. The dialogue is pretty horrible and redundant, it becomes annoying only to eventually become unbearable, it is because the writing is so amature, (NOOB NOOB NOOBY dooby doo) that I give the actors a pass...I see it as the actors just working with the thing as best they could. There are worse movies but this is a stinker for sure.
February 5, 2017
Chasing Amy is a brilliant heartfelt, unorthodox romantic comedy with an electric screenplay and excellently realistic performances. It is directed seamlessly, each scenes transition into the next one is so smooth that you almost don't notice it. Ben Affleck in particular gives one of his very best performances, he is completely believable and his subdued method of acting merges with his character and the story expertly. On a side note, it was fun to see small cameos from stars like Casey Affleck and Matt Damon. On a deeper meaning, this offers life lessons and an interesting outlook on sexuality, relationships and love and also manages to delve extensively into topics that are usually untouched and ignored. Chasing Amy is a beautiful film.
½ February 4, 2017
Exploring the maturity of relationships as well as sexuality in realistic ways, Chasing Amy is a hilarious and affectionate film that combines Kevin Smith's excellent script and direction together with Ben Affleck's subtle charms.
January 31, 2017
Not the best acting at times, but it all seems to come together as one of Kevin Smith's best films, including his signature raunchy humor. It also explores a lot more serious themes than expected, all the while still remaining over-the-top and hilarious for most of the film's runtime.
8/10
January 22, 2017
Chasing Amy was an outstanding movie. Joey Adams played the part so well. The story line was a haunting tale of the past, for so many of us. I relived some memories I had pleasantly forgotten.
½ January 10, 2017
I liked it alright. The style is familiar
November 30, 2016
Has some really great raw dialogue.
November 21, 2016
The script is so one sided that it becomes irritating to really invest in any character.
½ November 1, 2016
I really hate when reviews are suddenly deleted and you have to try to write another review when the film has sat in the back of your head for over 10 months now. So keep in mind that I haven't seen this film in a while. What I can say about this film is that it isn't a comedy. It's more of a tragic story than anything, but what this film does well is turns a lot of cliches on their heads. Instead of a woman coming out of the closet and learning to cope with her decision and everyone around her, it's the opposite. She is a lesbian but falls in love with another man. Then questions of morals come up and if she is feeling really true love. That is where the heart of the story lies. It is not so much a comedy as much as a queer related romance. There is comedy in it sure, but it's not so much a hilarious comedy like Kevin Smith's Clerks. Much like that film, Kevin Smith can write amazing dialogue, but can't frame a shot to save his life. Overall, a good flick. Is it the happiest of stories? No, but one I believe should be given a shot.
October 14, 2016
Chasing Amy is a raunchy and surprisingly thoughtful Kevin Smith flick that demands multiple viewings.
October 4, 2016
It's not as great a film as it could've been but it was a pretty great flick for its time.
September 19, 2016
Not my favorite Kevin Smith movie, the dialogue and acting seem forced at times, but tackles some pretty big sexual taboos.
September 14, 2016
Review In A Nutshell:

I was certainly not prepared for what Kevin Smith had to offer for Chasing Amy. I came into this film only with my preconceived feelings towards the director, Kevin Smith, from the previous films that I have seen from him; Mallrats, Jersey Girl and Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I knew very little of the plot before coming into this as I had almost complete trust in Kevin Smith and I had this idea that all of his films aside from Jersey Girl, carry the same tone and humour. It was abundantly clear right when the film's complication hits, that Chasing Amy was going to be different.

I believe, at least from what I have seen that Chasing Amy is Smith's most socially thought provoking but also his most endearing film. I have seen his work on Jersey Girl, and though that film does provide more sentimentality, I never felt it was his most endearing. Chasing Amy earns it through its unadulterated and justified emotions. Characters in this film make decisions that would seem to far-fetched, but since Smith allows these individuals to actually contemplate on their decision, pitting side by side logic and instinct, the audience is never felt cheated or manipulated. Chasing Amy is a simple enough film that it is easy to pick up on the larger themes that Smith was trying to explore, while also following the complex emotions that Smith draws up on its romance. The film eventually reaches to a conclusion that I personally felt was appropriate to the characters, leaving me with a melancholy feeling that may completely change subsequent experiences with the film.

When coming into a Kevin Smith film, it is justified, given the nature of his stories and his relaxed satirical direction, for me to not expect anything outstanding from the performance of his cast. Chasing Amy was a powerhouse of a film in regards to its acting; Joey Lauren Adams killed it as Alyssa Jones. Adams plays this role that is conflicted with experiences of her past and shaped by a world that is different from Ben Affleck's character, Holden McNeill, while still coming out of it as the sympathetic character, even though it is Holden that the film primarily follows. Though Ben Affleck gave a strong performance in this film, he was always overshadowed by the intensity of Adams' delivery and I feel bad that she did not gain the accolades that the performance clearly deserved. Hopefully as the audience for this film grows, so will her praise. Do I really need to talk about the rest of the cast?

Chasing Amy effectively delivers through an emotionally layered and impacting performance by Joey Lauren Adams, and Kevin Smith's authentic view on the social ideas behind love, sexuality and genders. This is by far, Kevin Smith's best work; though I am hopeful for Clerks, I doubt it could surpass the ambition and impact that this Chasing Amy was able to supply.
September 13, 2016
The best love story ever made because it's unlike any other and doesn't go the happy Hollywood route.