Chasing Amy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chasing Amy Reviews

July 21, 2016
Fresh idea to a romantic comedy. Good film making all the way around.
July 18, 2016
It's like Kevin Smith took everything he has to say about dating and dropped it into this meandering thesis paper on relationships. His best movie.
July 11, 2016
It's about lesbians. Cool.
July 7, 2016
I have had kind of a long journey to the conclusion that I don't really like Kevin Smith. I think "Clerks" is a good film, somewhat despite of, but also somewhat because of its artlessness. Smith has a tendency to overwrite his dialogue to the point that all of his characters just sound like him talking. In the cheap, staginess of "Clerks", this is almost a virtue. In "Chasing Amy", it's not. I wish I could say that's the only problem I have with the film, but it's not. First, I have plausibility issues. Smith wants me to buy that Affleck's character is such a catch that he actually turns lesbians straight. He hasn't created a character that's really got any attractive qualities, so I'm basically asked to take on faith that a fairly likeable and attractive young lesbian would throw away everything that has mattered up until now to date a close-minded average Joe who never listens to anything she says to him. It could happen I guess. That kind of points to my larger issue. The film seems to exist to justify that massive shortcomings of it's bland suburban jerk characters by being minimally tolerant of gay people, while simultaneously not taking their sexual orientation even minimally seriously. Given the way Smith writes, I can't help feeling that the film exists to let me know that Smith is okay with "the gays".
June 22, 2016
A more grown up Kevin Smith, but still funny. A story that makes us laugh and think a little. And there's more of Jay and Silent Bob !
Nous découvrons un Kevin Smith plus mature et c'est chouette et drôle. C'est une histoire qui nous fait rire et réfléchir. Et on retrouve Jay et Silencieux Bob !
June 18, 2016
it was ok not the best
½ May 22, 2016
"Chasing Amy" makes up for some unconvincing acting and character choices with an insightful look into gender roles and sexual orientation and how they can affect relationships matched by a heartfelt story anchored by multi-faceted characters.
½ April 21, 2016
I liked this movie a lot. I can definitely see how it was very progressive for the time it came out, and the performances by the primary cast is rock solid. Having said that, the appearance of Jay and Silent Bob in the film is so arbitrarily put in that it just seems abrupt. Furthermore, Chris Smith trying to act "casual, but philosophically impactful," is so unnatural. I'm not saying he isn't this way, it's just that watching his performance I am so consciously aware that he is acting that it takes away from whatever message he's actually trying to convey is diluted. Considering that this is supposed to be the climax of the story--both revealing why the movie is called what it is called, and to have the main character essentially have an epiphany, it just falls flat.
April 14, 2016
Makes you never want to screw up as bad as he did....
April 13, 2016
A perfect love-story filled with complete honesty and absolute truth that no other modern love-story can't even match and Kevin Smith's best film, Ben Affleck and especially Joey Lauren Adams are superb!
March 26, 2016
Chasing Amy has, for a long time, been my favourite movie, after countless re-watching I would still struggle to pin down exactly what puts it at that high spot but one of the things that has always been part of the reason I would recommend it is just how honest of a story it seems.
½ February 26, 2016
Another masterful film from Kevin Smith. It's often more vulgar than I would prefer, but that doesn't take anything away from it. I wouldn't say I am a fan of the ending though. Still, Chasing Amy is a uniquely entertaining movie. (First viewing - Summer 2001)
February 20, 2016
I have a lot of problems with Ben Affleck's character (although it may just be his acting) but this is Smith's weightiest and most legitimately artistic work, using the raunch as a back drop for an interesting and topical story.
½ February 15, 2016
A mature turn for writer and director Kevin Smith who continues to put on film dialogue that we all think about, but never say. There's a fine line between over the top gross and though-provoking. Smith manages to get the most from the thin premise and writes perfectly for Jason Lee, Ben Affleck, and Joey Lauren Adams. Jersey guys have a tendency to want what they can't have, but I guess that's a tendency for most guys and maybe even the human race. Smith brings you into the Jersey frame of mind and repulses, entertains, and captivates in this wonderful flick. No matter what you think of Smith, this one stands out as the best by a long ways.

As funny as it honest it will be next to impossible for Smith to outdo himself after Chasing Amy but lets hope he finds a way.
February 3, 2016
"Chasing Amy" witnesses the conceptions and fadings of friendships and intimate relationships with a casual eloquence that seems wise in retrospect. The fourth film of '90s wunderkind Kevin Smith, it is a romantic comedy of the "Good Will Hunting" camp, offhandedly naturalistic and likable, but also cogently perceptive when it comes to the stakes of youthful romance. It's a weeper for the cool kids, to be compared to "Before Sunrise" if it were slightly more saccharine.
In "Chasing Amy," we're introduced to twenty-somethings Holden (Ben Affleck) and Banky (Jason Lee), best friends who have achieved quasi-fame through an artistic partnership that has resulted in comic book series "Bluntman and Chronic." Roommates who watch each other's backs with the dedication of lovers, Banky grows concerned when dream girl Alyssa Jones (Joey Lauren Adams) appears out of nowhere, ready to steal Holden's heart. A fellow graphic artist, she drinks like one of the boys and has the wit to keep up in any feigned repartee; blond and baby-voiced, it doesn't take long for her to become an object of affection, viewers as smitten with her as Holden is.
Unbeknownst to him, though, Alyssa is a lesbian who doesn't plan on playing for the other team any time soon. The shock of this revelation sends a jolt down the spine of the impressionable Holden, but that doesn't stop him from making the mistake of falling in love with her - he's in for a world of hurt. And yet passion, it seems, is not something that can be instantaneously halted.
"Chasing Amy" surprises in that it does eventually depict a romantic relationship between Holden and Alyssa, but it goes further in the way that it explores the problems that arise because of it; Alyssa is ostracized by her circle of friends, Banky becomes a torrent of eccentric fury, and Holden grows infatuated with Alyssa's past, which might not be as female oriented as he might have earlier thought. The film is an entertaining exploration of modern romance, funny in its schoolboy sex talk one minute and oddly prudent the next. Like anything Altman or Tarantino, it is the kind of movie that finds most of its appeal through its dialogue, which Smith, fortunately, writes with such humorous insight that realism, for once, feels better, warmer, than a trading of Sorkinish zingers.
Smith's young cast has a lot to do with "Chasing Amy's" breezy amiability, too - Affleck, goateed and as piercing as he is delicate, is a male lead of rare emotion; Lee, abrasive and caring, is efficiently angsty, and Dwight Ewell, as Holden and Banky's gay friend who hides his sexuality by acting as a Black Power stereotype in public, provides the film with some of its most hearty laughs. Jason Mewes and Smith show up for a scene as indie favorites Jay and Silent Bob to explain the meaning of the movie's title. But "Chasing Amy" revolves around Adams like an artist obsesses over their muse, in love with the way she looks and talks and thinks and acts. We're as mad about her as Holden is.
Smith has a way with words and a way with selling a modern love story: "Chasing Amy" is one of the best romantic comedies of the 1990s. Just don't expect to find any mainstream mawkishness in its two-hours of verismo.
½ February 1, 2016
The least fun yet also most mature and highest quality of Smith's work. Not a favorite but it's a sharp indie film. Glad he went there and showed he could do a good movie not just funny/shock.
January 27, 2016
Exploring sexuality, friendship, and relationships; all under the guise of a raunchy comedy is no easy task, but Kevin Smith pulled off a truly winning film. One of the most intelligently written, hilarious, and touching romantic comedies ever made.
½ January 23, 2016
Way, way, way before homosexuality and bisexuality was discussed, this movie tackled the subject in a witty but serious way that does not treat homosexuals like a gratuitous prop (modern drama/comedies). It explores boundaries in a way that is just fun and not condescending. It is a love story, a class story, and an exploration into Gen X before Gen X really knew itself. This movie is Kevin Smith's best film (although I loved the original Clerks). One of the nest sex discussions ever happens between Amy and Banky in a Russo-Gibson Lethal Weapon 3-esque tit-for-tat over love making scars. This is a love story that is just awesome and funny.
January 20, 2016
I knew it was going to a funny, sort of quirky romantic comedy when I played the commentary (on my DVD) before watching the movie. Kevin Smith appeared with a humorous short message about the DVD, joking around about the movie, and to put you in comic frame of mood before the movie. And so the movie goes on with a lighthearted plot with primarily
Holden (Ben Affleck), his life-long buddy and comic book partner Banky (Jason Lee) and his new lesbian girlfriend and fellow artist Alyssa (Joey Lauren Adams) until love strikes and the real plot of the movie hits when in reality we are all Chasing Amy in our own lives. The original dentally inferior and pre-surgically transformed Ben Affleck acts in the vision of his true born self and Joey Lauren Adams puts on s bubbly character performance of life beyond the comic relief of the comic book world.
January 7, 2016
Not sure if this is in my top favorite Kevin Smith movies, but you gotta love Jason Lee and Jay & Silent Bob