Chasing Amy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chasing Amy Reviews

½ November 3, 2017
In my opinion this is the first bad Kevin Smith movie starring Ben Affleck and some random girl off the street that was in another Kevin Smith movie but I forgot who she was. I don't like romantic comedies and I thought this movie was cringe, I'm sorry Kevin Smith but the only good part in this movie is when Jay and silent Bob showed up and had they're cameo.
August 27, 2017
You know, I'm disappointed with the film's misleading title..."Chasing Amy" is just a story Silent Bob likes to talk about and the name of a comic book Ben Affleck is revealed to have published at the end of the movie. And the lesbian lady isn't even named Amy at all. Joking aside, Chasing Amy is actually a pretty good film from the mind of Kevin Smith. Personally, I don't think I need to watch the View Askewniverse movies in order to understand or enjoy them. Besides, Mallrats takes place a day before the events of Clerks. Smith actually tackles the romantic story quite well, not simply because of the lesbian twist but also because of the limits of friendship. I laughed when Smith expected his audience to laugh and then things became heartbreaking later on in the film. I symphatized deeply with Holden as it turns out love doesn't always end happily and it's a lot more complex than all the unreliable media suggests. I wouldn't call the movie perfect but there's still loads of good stuff in the movie. Plus there's also the theme of the fear of losing a friend as Jason Lee seems to be trying to get Alyssa out of Holden's life, even going as far as to dig up dirt on her. Such nearly potent drama. And the scene with Jay and Silent Bob was my favourite scene in the entire movie. The moral of Chasing Amy is: love hurts. And not simply because of LGBT.
July 30, 2017
There's a charm to the honesty of Kevin Smith's filmography. Much of his crowning achievements lack style in the same way that life does, but they do embrace the substance in frank dialogue and human communication.
July 20, 2017
:´( Me gusto mucho, creo que es buena película romántica para barón, debí verla en su momento y otro gallo cantara. La historia es redonda, pasa lo que debería pasar, y lo remata con lo de "Chasing Amy"
July 16, 2017
Story about a promiscous lesbian and her relationship with a comic book writer. Kevin Smith does an excellent job of keeping the movie's dialog fresh and different. But I hated the acting in this movie. Jason Lee and Joey Lauren Adams were not believable in many scenes.
June 9, 2017
Kevin Smith's most serious film. This film has amazing performances and features a lot of heart, with a very sweet story.
April 20, 2017
There's a lack of perfectionism in Kevin Smith's films that would be the downfall of probably anyone else's. But somehow he turns it into an earnestness that ends up bringing forward what his stories are really about.
½ March 14, 2017
My favorite Kevin Smith film, hands down. Which, in a way is odd because it's definitely more of a drama than the expected comedy. I'm not sure what was going through Smith's mind writing this masterpiece but I wish he would've made more like this. A brutally honest, sexy, gut wrenching honest love story with all the twists and turns. A knockout performance from Ben Affleck and Jason Lee. Joey Lauren Adams proves she was a force to noticed in the 90's as the misunderstood woman who is looking for answers to life, love after a questionable past. A definite keeper for any film lover!
February 20, 2017
Stinker. This movie is marginally watchable for the first half, the half before the relationship becomes consummated. Bizarre to trade off conflicts from falling in love with someone who can't love you back to some very strained bs about one's romantic interest's past sexual exploits...made no sense, I didn't care about AMy's past and the systemic drama unfolding seems very forced if not just fake(sex with two partners WHO CARES). This could have been a much more interesting movie had the writer been smart(had a brain) and made the whole movie about the internal conflict Amy may have gone through when coming to terms with the dynamics of her sexual instincts and true companionship. The dialogue is pretty horrible and redundant, it becomes annoying only to eventually become unbearable, it is because the writing is so amature, (NOOB NOOB NOOBY dooby doo) that I give the actors a pass...I see it as the actors just working with the thing as best they could. There are worse movies but this is a stinker for sure.
February 5, 2017
Chasing Amy is a brilliant heartfelt, unorthodox romantic comedy with an electric screenplay and excellently realistic performances. It is directed seamlessly, each scenes transition into the next one is so smooth that you almost don't notice it. Ben Affleck in particular gives one of his very best performances, he is completely believable and his subdued method of acting merges with his character and the story expertly. On a side note, it was fun to see small cameos from stars like Casey Affleck and Matt Damon. On a deeper meaning, this offers life lessons and an interesting outlook on sexuality, relationships and love and also manages to delve extensively into topics that are usually untouched and ignored. Chasing Amy is a beautiful film.
½ February 4, 2017
Exploring the maturity of relationships as well as sexuality in realistic ways, Chasing Amy is a hilarious and affectionate film that combines Kevin Smith's excellent script and direction together with Ben Affleck's subtle charms.
January 31, 2017
Not the best acting at times, but it all seems to come together as one of Kevin Smith's best films, including his signature raunchy humor. It also explores a lot more serious themes than expected, all the while still remaining over-the-top and hilarious for most of the film's runtime.
8/10
January 22, 2017
Chasing Amy was an outstanding movie. Joey Adams played the part so well. The story line was a haunting tale of the past, for so many of us. I relived some memories I had pleasantly forgotten.
½ January 10, 2017
I liked it alright. The style is familiar
November 30, 2016
Has some really great raw dialogue.
November 21, 2016
The script is so one sided that it becomes irritating to really invest in any character.
½ November 1, 2016
I really hate when reviews are suddenly deleted and you have to try to write another review when the film has sat in the back of your head for over 10 months now. So keep in mind that I haven't seen this film in a while. What I can say about this film is that it isn't a comedy. It's more of a tragic story than anything, but what this film does well is turns a lot of cliches on their heads. Instead of a woman coming out of the closet and learning to cope with her decision and everyone around her, it's the opposite. She is a lesbian but falls in love with another man. Then questions of morals come up and if she is feeling really true love. That is where the heart of the story lies. It is not so much a comedy as much as a queer related romance. There is comedy in it sure, but it's not so much a hilarious comedy like Kevin Smith's Clerks. Much like that film, Kevin Smith can write amazing dialogue, but can't frame a shot to save his life. Overall, a good flick. Is it the happiest of stories? No, but one I believe should be given a shot.
October 14, 2016
Chasing Amy is a raunchy and surprisingly thoughtful Kevin Smith flick that demands multiple viewings.
October 4, 2016
It's not as great a film as it could've been but it was a pretty great flick for its time.
September 19, 2016
Not my favorite Kevin Smith movie, the dialogue and acting seem forced at times, but tackles some pretty big sexual taboos.