Choke - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Choke Reviews

½ June 27, 2016
Based on the Chuck Pal novel by the same name, for once a movie hits the nail on the head.  A faithful adaptation of the book, Choke follows Victor a sex addict who goes to fancy restaurants and chokes to pay for his mother's hospital bills.  Those who save him feel the need to take care of him and send him money.  There is a minor change to the ending.  It doesn't affect anything and it sort of happens in the book just not exactly how.  My favorite scene of the movie because it's just like I envisioned it in the book is the "poodle" scene.  So, I guess sometimes Hollywood does read the books it makes into movies.  Thank you, Hollywood, for not ruining my favorite Chuck Pal book.  Excellent adaptation, highly recommended.  I'm only sad this wasn't highly publicized.  I'll do it for them as best I can here.
February 6, 2016
For all its lurid subject matter, Choke gets wrapped up in a package that's perhaps a little too neat and tidy. That is, Choke at times plays almost like a bizarre romantic comedy didactic about the roots of addiction. But there's also quite a few very funny, clever, and moving scenes. And it's always good to see Sam Rockwell. I think there is also some effective insight given into what essentially causes addiction too.
January 16, 2016
Doesn't reach the heights of the novel, but still captures enough to be good in its own right.
½ January 8, 2016
An interesting comedy about sex and love and the problems when one is mistaken four the other. Chuck Palahnuik`s story provides many great ideas and plenty of witty and funny lines. The acting and direction are good and the overall feel is surprisingly positive, well worth watching.
½ January 3, 2016
Choke the movie didn't have the quirkiness of direction that I'd have hoped for after reading Choke the book. To me when I was reading the book I had felt off kilter and the odd situation with Dr Marshall and the diary was slightly an out of body experience. I think we don't get into Victor 's head like we should. The monologue is missing and that's really how the humour is explored in the book. The humour really is missing.
½ December 13, 2015
Love Sam Rockwell in this
September 24, 2015
Choke became more like a romantic black comedy in this interpretation. Victor is a sex addict who cons people by faking choking to get sympathy money to pay for his mother's stay in nursing home, and he fell in love with the resident doctor.

Yeh, it was pretty funny, but it didn't have the same tone as the book and the message was lost in the film adaptation. I did have a few good laughs though!
½ August 14, 2015
Being only the second adaptation of a Chuck Palahnuik after the masterfully original Fight Club, Choke sounded like it promising literary roots.

I should have expected this from any adaptation of a Chuck Palahniuk text even though I have once again not read the source material that it is based on, but Choke is quite a difficult film to swallow if you'll pardon the pun. As a story about someone who makes himself choke on food in restaurants to earn sympathy money from other customers that pay for his mother's Alzheimer's disease bills while trying to cope with sex addiction, it is easy for Choke to find itself walking a scattered path. With Clark Gregg making his feature length debut as a writer and director, it is clear he is not yet up to the challenge of keeping a sensible structure. He didn't necessarily make a bad film and he did manage to make the most out of a minuscule budget which is certainly impressive, it's just that he failed to render a sense of consistency in the experience.
The genuine tone of Choke feels rather strange. The film has a narrative which takes itself very seriously, but at the same time it has a common tendency to break away from it for the sake of strange subplots or brief bursts of humour. It's a film said to be a black comedy, but it retains a lot of zany dramatic elements that keep on coming out of nowhere and adding twists into the story. Thinking back to Fight Club, I remember this worked in the film adaptation due to it giving the film a surreal and gritty edge. Since Choke is far more tame with its subject matter, it lacks the same punch.
Choke has a story which goes all over the place, and you'd think that it is some kind of drug. It's ambiguous which direction the story is actually going in Choke because there are so many different story points which don't seem to really progress anywhere, and it just leaves things puzzling when viewers have to figure out where the focus lies. I'll admit that some of the plot points were interesting and the genuine mood of the film was interesting because I could feel some real drama stemming from the film while the touch of comedy made it more enjoyable to watch, but it put a tonal inconsistency into the film. Reflecting on my experience of watching Choke, I find that I enjoyed the film for its cast and many of its scenes while as a whole there was no real sense of progression in the narrative which left me unsatisfied. And at the same time, the fact that the plot structure keeps cutting between past and present makes things all the more complicated. Frankly, Choke is hardly a film with a singular narrative as its structure unfolds like a series of loosely connected vignettes with no real end in sight to just how much will fill the narrative. As much as some of them are enjoyable due to the edgy nature of the subject matter and the light comic touch, they do not tie together all that well and so ultimately, Choke succeeds simply on the basis of being a sporadically entertaining film at best.
However, there is no inconsistencies in the talents of the cast.
Sam Rockwell's leading performance really carries the story. While the scattered narrative focus drags him in all different directions, Sam Rockwell manages to keep up with the changing mode of the film with a restrained sense of emotional instability. During the more settled moments of the film he has a casual nature about him, but you can tell that there are more complex insecurities and psychological damage within him. As the story progresses and the dramatic dynamics build, Sam Rockwell develops his character well. Considering the complications of the role, Sam Rockwell's approach to the character Victor Mancini is ideal as it is very restrained and therefore he carries a consistent level of emotional involvement over all the wacky material which ties him into the narrative better than it holds itself together. He is a strange character, but he is a sympathetic one thanks to Sam Rockwell's natural charm. He never loses sight of the character because as well as carrying consistent involvement, there is little change in his facial expressions which signifies a sense of distance from getting deeply involved with the other characters or subject matter, and the slight tweaks he makes during the more dramatic moments of the film say a lot with so little. Sam Rockwell leads Choke with spirited natural charisma, and his performance proves the finest asset of the film.
Anjelica Huston also does a wonderful job. Capturing an odd character who is plagued all the more by a strange senility, Anjelica Huston easily separates the mind of her character from the world around her and speaks in a manner which is focused on capturing the essence of true confusion. It is effective, making her a fascinating presence and a sympathetic one too. Her approach is gentle and yet lost in mental instability, easily conveying the nature of Ida Mancini's Alzheimer's disease. Her chemistry with Sam Rockwell is also wonderful due to the complicated relationship they share. Anjelica Huston is a serious asset to Choke.
Kelly Macdonald also manages to deliver a likable character and solid dramatic effort, and the presence of Clark Gregg and Gilian Jacobs in supporting roles is also grand. The cameo appearance from Joel Grey is also a wonderful touch.

So Choke has the best intentions and a talented leading performance from Sam Rockwell, but the narrative beneath him is not tied together well enough for the story to successfully develop anywhere or make any kind of effective statement along the way.
May 22, 2015
Not enough humor to save this dark dramedy
May 11, 2015
Silly movie. I like the cast. I was entertained by it, made me laugh a few times. I liked the female doctor that was really a patient. She is stunningly gorgeous.
½ April 18, 2015
I am the backbone of colonial America.

Victor has mommy issues and is a sex addict. The problems are likely tied together. He randomly visits his mother in the hospital, who happens to be dying and suffering from dementia, and also attends sex therapy. He hopes to work with his mom to uncover who his father is before she passes away. He a;so begins falling in love with one of his mom's doctors in the process. Can he finally settle down and find happiness?

"I think I liked you better when you were jerking off all of the time."

Clarke Gregg, director of Trust me, delivers Choke in his directorial debut. The storyline for this film is very interesting and fairly unique. I thought the film was well paced and concludes well. The acting was also very solid and the cast includes Sam Rockwell, Anjelica Huston, Kelly Macdonald, Brad William Henke, and Clarke Gregg.

"It's not what you're thinking!"
"Isn't that your penis in her hand?"

I came across this film on HBOGO and had to finally get around to seeing it. I thought this looked good when the previews first came out. The evolution of the main character and the realistic ending worked fpr me. The inmate/doctor story was a bit unrealistic, but overall, this is definitely worth a viewing.

"Poodle!"

Grade: B-
½ April 6, 2015
Rockwell and Houston shine but the story and the other cast members are mere window dressing.
February 25, 2015
A severely underrated work loosely based on Chuck Palahniuk's novel of the same name. Bizarre but charming to the right sort of audience.
½ January 22, 2015
Choke is not a comedy. It's a drama about old people dying of Alzheimers Disease. How funny.
½ December 28, 2014
Great "find yourself" movie. Anjelica Huston is phenomenal, and Sam Rockwell is very entertaining.
½ December 4, 2014
Officially now in my top 10 of dark comedies!
½ November 26, 2014
I really hate it when filmmakers use v-o narration to adapt books to the screen. If I wanted to have the novel read to me I'd buy a fucking audiobook. The book's narrative annoyed me back in high school, and the movie is no different (except for being convoluted and boring). This thing just has no direction. It shoots its load of philosophical masturbation left and right, slaps in a few awkward and pointless flashback scenes and calls it a night. It's not particularly well-shot, either. Most scenes are set up with static, uninteresting, inexpressive composition. Sam Rockwell is really Choke's only saving grace (I can't imagine anyone making a better Victor).
½ October 25, 2014
I really enjoyed the book. The film...not so much.
September 15, 2014
man just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a great movie 2 watch, its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that sam rockwell, anjelica huston, kelly macdonald, brad william henke, clark gregg, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....

Writer Chuck Palahniuk makes a cameo appearance. He can be seen in the same row as Sam Rockwell on the plane just before the film ends.

The film received mixed reviews from critics. Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 54% based on 138 reviews, with the consensus that "While bolstered by strong performances from Sam Rockwell and Anjelica Huston, Choke struggles to capture the tone of Chuck Palahniuk's novel." Metacritic gives the film an average score of 47/100, based on 26 reviews, indicating mixed or average reviews

man this is such a really funny movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie....man this is such a really funny movie 2 watch, it is such a fantastic funny movie 2 watch, it is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, i think that sam rockwell was absolutley brilliant throughout this movie as he was just so funny throughout this movie.........i think that this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch,. but it is so so so so funny movie 2 watch, i think that this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch, it is not as good as fight club (that fim is so so so fantastic), but this is such a great comedy movie 2 watch, it is so so so funny movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....its so so so funny movie 2 watch, its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie....man this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie.....
September 1, 2014
Anything adapted from chuck should never be afraid to go to the edge as much as his books do. You already know what you're getting into, so just do it.