Christine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Christine Reviews

½ October 31, 2017
It's certainly not a flawless movie, but it's still a fun thrill ride that I think is one of John Carpenter's best.
October 29, 2017
I wasn't sure about watching a movie this old, but I enjoyed it!
½ October 25, 2017
Ridiculous, popcorn-munching fun that showcases the best of Stephen King's zany, off-beat humor-as well as his insight into angry, toxic masculinity, the sort that dwells on phallic representation while simultaneously worshipping-and-blaming femininity for all its ills.
October 14, 2017
I think it was a safe bet that combining the talents of John Carpenter and Stephen King was always going to deliver something memorable. Christine may not be Carpenter's best film, but it's aged incredibly well and remains one of the better King adaptations. The film works because Carpenter understands the psychological aspects of the novel and uses them to draw the viewer in, despite the fact we all know how the story will unfold. He builds the suspense and tension slowly until the shit inevitably hits the fan. All the performances are impressive, but it's Keith Gordon who carries the movie. His character's transformation from high school nerd to possessed madman is a believable one, whereas a lesser actor would've taken it over-the-top. Carpenter fills the movie with plenty of atmosphere, some wonderful cinematography, and his electronic score sets the mood perfectly. Another wise choice was to give the film a sense of humour, as the idea of a 'killer car' is a tough one to take seriously. Christine is more of a suspenseful character study than an all-out horror movie, but it remains a highlight in both Carpenter and King's careers.
October 10, 2017
Had a lot of fun with this one. The car effects were great as well!
October 1, 2017
The special effects and general B-movie atmosphere makes up for the lack of genuine suspense and the overall absurdity of its plot, and while is not horrible, nor remotely as bad as other Stephen King adaptations, it's far from being one of the best, not to mention the disappointing direction from the, usually, great John Carpenter and average performances.
September 13, 2017
Underrated Movie great story. A must watch.
September 10, 2017
With great special effects, standout performances, and a great story, Christine is...eh. This movies is boring and silly. It is enjoyable, but don't expect to be scared...or touched. Keith Gordon's performance is the best thing about this movie by far, though.
½ September 4, 2017
as usual King's adaptations, this will blow you out of the seat.
½ September 2, 2017
Another of the innumerable Stephen King adaptations that came forth from the '80s is an underrated black comedy horror thriller about a demonic car. The premise sounds absolutely ridiculous but it actually works here. Keith Gordon plays a dorky high school student who becomes the envy of his entire school after purchasing a 1958 Plymouth Fury named Christine. His transformation from geek to god of the high school halls is intriguing. John Stockwell, Harry Dean Stanton, Alexandra Paul, and Robert Prosky lend great support. It is quite possibly the most overlooked King flick out there.
August 12, 2017
I do like the idea of Stephen King multi-verse. all the movies are their own worlds were other stories connect, and the "dark tower" is supposed to separate and protect them all from this "dark outer realm" that these creatures that infest and,plague most of the king stories example: the mist, it, the stand etc. but because of the man in black "who by the way is Randall flag" is attacking the towers and letting these monsters slip into those worlds. And that is why Pennywise the dancing clown is actually a giant spider. Our heroes with the "shining" ability have been put through out king's stories to help protect the the dark tower. I would have liked these movies to have put more emphasis on that. possibly leading to a much larger story.
June 25, 2017
170624: I was driven back to Christine after watching 1977's The Car. For a film that is now 34 years old, Christine features some pretty good special effects. It's a decent story but lacks consistent intensity. Showcasing a Camaro and Charger, Christine will always be a gem for car guys though. Well worth watching!
May 23, 2017
No one considers this as a one of Carpenter's best. I guess one should expect this to be extremely horrifying, but it's a campy horror movie about a murderous car, that means it's practically meant to be silly.
½ May 13, 2017
John Carpenter can shoot a film! Even when his heart may not be invested in the project.
Christine is full of simple, gorgeous cinematography, and with the limited plot and static "villain" (its a car) the film gives the audience plenty of time to enjoy the mis en scene.
Extra half star for Harry Dean Stanton stopping by for a a quick afternoon 3 scene shoot.
May 8, 2017
Under appreciated doesn't begin to describe this classic from Stephen King and John Carpenter. A possessed killer car off a Detroit assembly line, what could go wrong?
½ April 23, 2017
timeless classic...not as scare in today's standard
½ April 23, 2017
Haven't read the Stephen King novel this is based on so I don't know if it made a mockery of the source material but on its own its a serviceable thriller.
½ April 13, 2017
Perhaps unique even today.
April 7, 2017
A car that kills people. But it also transforms a geek into a ladies man. The ending wasn't as good as I'd wished, but still its a good movie.
½ April 4, 2017
suspenseful and a great stephen king adaptation but truly aint so interesting and sometime anti-climatic but a true scary movie