The Cider House Rules - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cider House Rules Reviews

April 10, 2017
1999 Was My Favorite Year In Film.
April 3, 2017
Michael Caine and Tobey Maguire were terrific. Michael Caine's character was very interesting, complex and not at all predictable. Supporting relationships were also not what you would expect - particularly the nurses. Enjoyed it more when Maguire was at the orphanage than when he's out in the world. The incest story line seemed the least creative.
½ April 2, 2017
A gentle story of drug addiction, incest and abortion from the hey-day of the great Tobey Maguire.
½ March 8, 2017
The book is Magnificant.
The movie is moving -
February 1, 2017
This was back on TV recently and we just watched it again, for possibly the third time. It's been several years since we watched it before. Lasse Hallstrom does a good job, and it's scripted by the author, and has a good cast. Somehow it's very soft focus (that's Hallstrom's direction), given that it's about transgression. All of the central characters break rules, and laws, but somehow that's all OK because of their hearts. A strange and challenging sweet-sour mix. Very timely in its championing of abortion, given the direction that the USA is currently heading.
November 24, 2016
The Cider House Rules is an old-fashioned love letter to New England with an array of interesting and lovable characters even though it loses its way in the context of many subplots, but still that Rachel Portman piano score is to die for.
½ September 27, 2016
A really relaxing movie with beautiful scenery and soundtrack. The movie makes you feel like your in the 30s and you will find your self really caring about characters through out the movie. Its a movie you will want to pour your self a glass of apple cider, relax, keep an open mind and watch over and over.
½ August 15, 2016
1999's The Cider House Rules features Tobey Maguire and Michael Caine in a story about discovering a new life outside of the one you've always known. Maguire plays Homer Wells an orphan who grew up in the household of Dr. Wilbur Larch played by Caine. Larch takes him in along with several other kids. With Homer he teaches him how to perform surgeries and abortions among other medical practices. After so many years Homer decides he wants to leave and discover a new life. A couple decides to take him and in turn they get him a job and new home for him to live in. However life has its challenges and Homer discovers this the more he lives outside the Larch house.
Pretty Good film right here. 3 1/2 out of 5 stars at least. Only a few times does it lose you but then it brings back the drama just in time. lasse hallestrom directs an impressive feature and uses the experiences of both men to bring to life the pages of the book this was based of. this is probably the most obvious example of a book adaptation you can come across. Hallestrom explores themes of Abandonment and wonder here here as well.
Must say I wasn't too surprised that this was based off of a novel, it had that feel too it especially with this nicely adapted screenplay by John Irving. Liked the editing in here and Hallestrom again used some really nice camera work here.
Michael Caine's American accent is not bad little forced but not bad. its kind of ironic how he works to save people but is somewhat cynical about them. he reminds me a bit of a character I saw recently in a film called Captain Fantastic. he isn't too enthused with the world outside of maine. I was surprised to see tobey Maguire in this at first. He was really good here as this young man who spent his whole life among non family members and finally he wants to see the rest of the world. this is probably the most calm role I've seen him play as most of his work involves some level of intensity. Charlize Theron looks so young here must have been in her mid 20's here. she was pretty good. Erkyah badu did well with this role. she actually had some depth with this woman rose very impressive from the singer.
Cider House Rules I pretty decent and worth the watch
½ August 12, 2016
There is a genuineness from the onset that is sustained throughout and the movie contains most all noteworthy intangibles.
½ August 12, 2016
Beautifully filmed and great performances. Nor a weak link anywhere in the cast. Loved it
July 12, 2016
A well made film that is brave enough to have a set agenda and point of view. I admire that. The problem is that it doesn't play on a level playing field. It is presented in far too simple terms. For that reason I don't believe this deserves to be in the Best Picture Oscar race.
June 30, 2016
This is a well written, acted and directed movie. I've watched it countless times. I encourage you to watch this wonderful movie
May 18, 2016
It was slow, but heartwarming. Smooth.
½ May 8, 2016
John Irving's "The Cider House Rules" is a beautiful, emotional film that handles the hardships of life compassionately. Stellar performances from the entire cast make up for what the dramatic heft lacks.
½ April 12, 2016
"The Cider House Rules" is a critically acclaimed drama that tells a compelling coming-of-age story but I question whether it is worthy of six Oscar nominations. Both of its settings, a WWII orphanage and an apple orchard in Maine, create an atmosphere that is very unique. The details of the story are well thought-out as the childhood development and experiences of the main character shape his decisions. For me, the main problem with this film is the casting of Tobey Maguire in the main role. The cast is essentially a Who's Who Among Hollywood Megastars when they were just blossoming actors, but why couldn't they have chosen another rising star? Maguire had just gained attention from his role in "Pleasantville" but I just can't buy him as a dramatic actor. The poignant last line of the film should stir up emotions and bring closure to his journey. The only thing that I could think about was the superiority of Michael Caine delivering the same line through the film. Maguire's facial expressions are very limited and that vocal fry at the end of every line overtakes the poignancy of anything that he says. Maguire-bashing aside, the young Charlize Theron offers a nice performance and Paul Rudd is so baby-faced that you almost don't recognize him. This is definitely not one of Michael Caine's top two acting performances, even though his Academy Award collection would indicate otherwise. I was not particularly impressed with his New England accent (afterall, we adore his English accent so much!) and he didn't have that unforgettable moment that typically nets an actor a Best Supporting nomination. There is not nearly enough J.K. Simmons but Delroy Lindo gives a standout performance that steals the spotlight for the majority of the film. Perhaps he deserved the Oscar more than Caine? You do need to prepare yourself for some strong content before watching this film as it has abortion, incest, and everything in between. None of these things are shown in graphic detail but they are integral to the story and the development of its characters. I appreciate that John Irving adapted his own novel into this Oscar-winning screenplay and opted to write a few characters out of the story instead of doing them the injustice of underdeveloping their characters. It is nearly impossible for a screenplay adapter to preserve every aspect a novel. When it is clearly an unrealistic goal, smart writers find a way to capture the heart of the story by choosing quality over quantity, even if sacrifices need to be made. "The Cider House Rules" may not warrant a second watch but it has an interesting story and a few great acting performances that make it a one-time must-see.
April 10, 2016
The Cider House Rules is a beautiful coming-of-age tale that manages to avoid clichés due to John Irving's heartfelt and touching script and great performances from its cast.
½ March 20, 2016
A sweet movie, but it's one that's a little too sentimental.
March 4, 2016
not bad,Toby Maguire was very good
February 13, 2016
The movie is fascinating and adorable if a bit too moralizing. Michael Caine is unparalleled.
January 24, 2016
Perhaps due to the fact that my kids interrupted me 1700 times during the movie, but I didn't really feel much connection to the characters, nor did I feel much connection between the characters.

Also, the entire soundtrack consisted of the same song over and over and over. It is a nice, soothing song (that was later used in the Tim Allen narrated Michigan commercials).