City Slickers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City Slickers Reviews

½ August 27, 2016
Holiday movie with Iris.

Very dated, and not as funny as i recalled. However perfect light film for a lazy, balmy evening.
July 5, 2016
Self-indulgent macho tripe
May 15, 2016
just funny..good clean funny movie
April 26, 2016
Father has a mid life crisis but learns the meaning of life while on a cattle drive. Palance stars as the wise white man who knows the answers to the meaning of life.
½ April 23, 2016
great american classic...#2 also great
April 15, 2016
Fish-outta-water tale as a trio of urban yuppies venture out West to ultimately reevaluate their lacklustre lives. I came in set to disparage the proceedings simply because of the writers (Ganz and Mandel) but was pleasantly surprised with the unusual restraint shown. Should Palance have won the Best Supporting Oscar for this? No. Hollywood simply slipped him his Lifetime Achievement under the table, but he does provide the pungent illusion of what we, the audience, might consider the Ol'West to've been like. Not bad.
April 7, 2016
A funny movie and a very emotional moments who makes to you a great moment!!!
½ December 21, 2015
Entertaining juxtaposition of people and place.
½ October 4, 2015
This was probably the first movie I saw that properly introduced me to Billy Crystal. Sure I had seen his other early movies and heard about that scene in 'When Harry Met Sally' (never actually saw the movie though), but none of those really stood out to me (a much younger me). Back in the day it was this comedy, rented from the trusty videoshop, that grabbed me and made me think this guy was funny. The other lure at the time was Daniel Stern who was fresh off huge success with 'Home Alone'.

The plot follows a trio of middle aged men who are all suffering some sort of midlife crisis, or just a crisis. Eventually when they can no longer stand their lives anymore, they all decide to head off for a cattle driving ranch in New Mexico for a real cowboy getaway/vacation. At the ranch they meet up with various other regular folk who are also on the cattle drive experience for their own personal reasons, mainly to overcome negative ones. And so we have our male bonding tale of how three men discover themselves whilst in the wilderness and under the pressure of a very real situation. Could this be one of the ultimate feel good movies?

The entire premise of this movie apart from the cowboy bits, is basically the male midlife crisis. Much of, if not all, of the dialog surrounds the three main characters chatting to each other, reminiscing and opening up to each other about various moments and aspects of their lives. Each character has a shit-tonne of baggage which gets slowly released over the runtime with various results, but mostly humourous and heart-warming. Its all about being a good person deep down, kinda vomit inducing I know but it actually works nicely, as an adult you can relate to these characters much more even though it still works well for kids.

The cattle drive aspect of the story is the rather predictably obvious way in which these guys, and their new friends, come together to overcome danger and personal conflict by working together. This is the main crux of the movie and deals out everything you would kinda expect from this type of flick. We naturally get the training section of the movie before hand where we see the characters getting into shape and learning the ropes, all of which naturally foreshadows later events. Those later events of course involve typical cowboy things such as keeping the herd together, roping a cow, basic riding, helping a pregnant cow and dealing with two butch cowboys that represent adult bullies. To a degree the whole adventure is kinda taking these guys back to their youths with the things they have to deal with. The dangers they face, the problems, decisions and the cowboy bullies, I think its suppose to mirror growing up, especially when you look at the other characters alongside them.

The movie is essentially an ensemble cast despite focusing on the main three leads. A typical bunch of city folk nerds and geeks that all have reasons for doing the drive which fall into place with the main three protagonists. You have a black father and son who obviously feel a bit out of place, two overweight Jewish ice cream makers, and Helen Slater as the sweetheart of the group. In all honesty none of these characters add too much to the proceedings, they are merely there to add to the awkwardness of the situation. Establishing how useless city folk are out in the sticks, until they learn and become real cowboys n girls (classic story arc kinda stuff).
On the flip side of the coin you have the brilliant performance of Jack Palance as the leatherfaced, overly butch, Clint Eastwood-esque cowboy Curly. This guy is everything every man aspires to be (in the movie), he's tough, doesn't take any shit from anyone including the other cowboys, a ladies man and he looks cool. While the other characters are stereotypical city folk, this guy is the stereotypical cowboy, both elements playing off each other perfectly for some good laughs. The films relies on many stereotypes truth be told, but they are very user-friendly.

Overall its a film of two halves really. On one hand you do have some really moving moments that will actually put a lump in your throat. Some of dialog between the characters at times can be emotional and deep, the relationship between Billy Crystal's character Mitch and the baby calf is another strong aspect with inevitable sequences of danger for the little thing. Daniel Stern's character Phil cracking is funny and heartbreaking at the same time, there is death to dealt with and of course the triumphant finale which can't fail to put a weepy smile on your face. On the other hand you have a lot of (now) cliched silly humour that is both childish and mature but most importantly, works. Most of this comes from banter between Mitch and Curly as they try to get along (Curly shits bigger than Mitch), Phil as the emotional loose cannon, Bruno Kirby's toughish womaniser of sorts and predictable visual gags.

Its one of those movies that looking at it, reading about it, you'd brush it aside as just another cheap, lame, cookie-cutter comedy with no real love or attention to detail. But its completely the opposite, all the characters are well developed with solid story arcs, some comedy is brilliantly witty and dry thanks mainly to Crystal and Palance but there is also plenty of more regular laughs, the locations are stunning, great performances all round, and even the musical score is superb! My only negative point is a personal one, that being, I didn't like some of the casting choices. I think the film could have been even greater with slightly better casting, but that's just me. End of the day, the simple joke of seeing some city slicker suits trying to survive in the wild west turns out to be a classic comedy, it truly is one of the best feel good movies out there.
August 11, 2015
I very much enjoyed city slickers billy crystal ,Bruno Kirby and Daniel stern were
great and it had great storyline as well
½ July 9, 2015
City Slickers is a wickedly funny little 90's comedy that really manages to capture more than just laughs from the audience, but also their emotions. The film also delivers some thrills thanks to those emotions. The acting from Billy Crystal, Jack Palance, Patricia Wettig, Bruno Kirby, and Daniel Stern, is really good and Crystal, in particular, really gives a charming performance here that really brings you onto his side. Overall, City Slickers is a fun and touching film about three men's midlife crisis and the way they deal with it.
May 4, 2015
Saw this for the first time ever. Excellent movie! Funny, dramatic and adventurous!
May 3, 2015
This movie had a bit of an identity crisis. It was like it didn't know what it was trying to be. C-
½ April 1, 2015
The cast enjoyed itself and it transfers on to the viewer in this midlife crisis fish out of water comedy.
½ March 21, 2015
Adding a little drama to the intentional western comedy tone, City Slickers is hilarious as well as inspirational and delivers a rock solid cast including Billy Crystal, Daniel Stern and Oscar winner Jack Palance.
March 16, 2015
A funny movie led by the always wonderful Billy Crystal. I have no idea how in the world Jack Palance won an Oscar for this movie or even was considered for a nomination but it is a good performance. Great cameo from Yearly Smith and a great debut for a very young Jake Gyllenhaal
February 19, 2015
I always say that even the worst movie is good if it has Billy Crystal in it. And although Crystal helps make this film what it is, along with a great supporting cast, it's really a nice story. It's about a man's second coming-of-age and it's about camaraderie and second chances.

The comedy is slightly irreverent and jarring, as it is partially a satire. It juxtaposes tragedy with humor, but that goes along with the film's theme of "That's life!" And although the intermittent jokes may disrupt and off-put the film's tone at times, the build up to the 3rd act is well worth the wait.

Even if the humor is not for you, the story is undeniably charming. If I ever get to the point in my life where I'm facing a midlife crisis, I will be sure to queue up City Slickers.

For a comedy, the writing in this movie is superb. There aren't any silly plot holes or goofs that stand out. This film just doesn't do anything to annoy you.

With circumstances that are easily related to and fun in-jokes you feel like you're on the journey with them. And as someone who hasn't yet gotten to their midlife crisis, this movie makes me realize that it won't be so bad.

Twizard Rating: 96
January 7, 2015
Great feel good movie !!
September 9, 2014
Brilliant movie a must watch about a few city guys going to countryside to herd cattle from one place to another.
August 25, 2014
Filled with some warmth, hilarity, and cleverness in some one-liners and characters unveiling developments. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)