Clerks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clerks Reviews

½ February 20, 2018
Fantastic movie made before its time.
January 31, 2018
Strengths: A masterclass in how to work with a small budget. The black and white effect is fantastically done, while helping the film stand out. While there are solid performances throughout the film, the standout has to be Jeff Anderson (Randall). He steals every scene he's in. The dialogue is sharp, witty, and quotable, which are all necessities when trying to succeed with such a low budget. They found a way to take a day in the lives of people working a dull job, and make it very entertaining. The gags of Caitlin (Lisa Spoonauer) having sex with a dead guy and thinking it was Dante (Brian O'Halloran), the snowball story, and all of Randall's antics in the video store were great. As was everything done by Jay (Jason Mewes) and Silent Bob (Kevin Smith), two characters born here who went on to become kind of iconic in the genre.

Weaknesses: I know a lead character is supposed to grow, and Dante does that somewhat, but he's just not likable. He's way too whiny and it's almost impossible to find anything to make you root for him. The funeral scene and trip there didn't work to me. It felt like an unnecessary addition to the story and it wasn't funny. Some of the crude humor doesn't land as well as they probably hoped for.

Overall: This is a cult classic and for good reason. Kevin Smith does a fantastic job making the most of a small budget. There are funnier comedies out there, but few feature such great dialogue and memorable quotes. A rousing success.
January 31, 2018
Original and raw, some of funniest banter i have ever come across. great debut and still on of the funniest films i have seen. Kevin Smith came crashing onto the indie scene in a big way and while Mallrats failed to match Clerks, it has also lived on over the years. The key to the film is the leads and Dante is likable but a deeply flawed hero, he isn't the guy getting all the girls or winning every battle in life, he is the other guy. The film is unpredictable at every turn and you move from one hilarious beat to the next, it's a consistent comedy that is rare. Clerks is a gem of indie filmmaking, this could not be made in the studio system and why would you want it to be. Smith earned his career with a film that is sharp and true, he gave every character something to chew on and they shine from a brilliant script. 31-01-2018.
January 12, 2018
A classic back then and a classic today
January 7, 2018
Clever writing, great drama and good comedy.
December 24, 2017
Is this really a 5 star movie? If you take into account how it was made, and what it achieved, then YES--YES!!!. It's amazing.
½ November 25, 2017
And this brings low-budge, independent cinema into full circle; cramming with contend and characters begging to be seen.
November 16, 2017
Great film one my top 3 Favorite films.
November 2, 2017
Good filmed in black and white first ever Kevin Smith movie starring some random people.
½ October 1, 2017
Somehow quick paced quirky comedy but also laid back and mundane comedy. Also wonderfully nihilistic. A great low budget indie movie. Normally I hate screwball comedies (their pandering and unfunny) but this was actually fairly clever and kind of satirical. Also check out the history of the film, it's impressive and inspiring.
September 23, 2017
With its relatable characters and clever well-written dialogue, Clerks is considered classic when it comes to both comedy films and independent filmmaking.
August 27, 2017
Clerks is the type of movie that you have a better chance of enjoying it if you put yourself in the frame of mind of the audience at the time. Which means I don't think it'll appeal to all tastes. However most audiences at the time could relate to what the protagonists were going through but some of that effect was lost on me. However, in the end, I was still pretty glad I saw the movie. It's funny with a show-stealing Jay and Silent Bob in their first appearance and I admire the realistic approach it takes. I consider the movie to be the cinematic equivalent of a bottle episode since it was filmed on a shoestring budget and was predominantly just two guys talking in a convenience store whilst people decide to participate in the conversation as if they've been friends for a really long time. I was a bit put off by the fact that there literally isn't a story. At least it never felt like there was one. However I still laughed throughout especially when the protagonist's buddy places orders for a series of dirty tapes ;) in front of a woman and her daughter that have profane names prior to checking the tapes for some kiddie cartoon. With its sitcom type approach and gleefully profane yet still realistic dialogue, Clerks is a black-and-white comedy that proves that even a movie which is just two guys talking with some other stuff added in (+ Kevin Smith's words of wisdom when Silent Bob breaks his silence) can be entertaining.
August 18, 2017
1925 Was 69 Years Old In 1994.
August 10, 2017
Very good. Not much else to say about it.
½ August 9, 2017
It must be me, but really don't think this is an interesting movie at all!!
July 30, 2017
A prime example of the uniquely creative and crass gems produced by the American indie renaissance of the 1990s. "Clerks" is a beautifully listless and witty reflection on the boring day-to-day lives of the average Joe Schmoe, and the indie community is all the better for its existence.
July 15, 2017
Never cared for this movie.
Until I got into retail - you realise just how well they nailed this movie once you work retail.
June 27, 2017
Amazing considering the micro-budget of this film.
June 5, 2017
"You were'nt listening to a thing I said were you?"
"No I wasn't."
½ April 15, 2017
With an unprofessional cast, a paltry budget, few locations and a first-time Writer/Director, Clerks was a sleeper hit back in the mid-90s, and is still largely enjoyed today. It has its fair share of funny jokes, thoughtful conversations and strong believability in the interactions between its characters, particularly its leads. Its cheapness is almost always evident, what with over 50% of it taking place in the exact same frame, and the shop customers only ever ordering 'cigarettes', never stating an actual brand name. It doesn't need to be an hour and 40 minutes long, and the dialogue is frequently rambling and nowhere near as funny as Kevin Smith thinks it is. But what it has to say about movies, relationships and the grind of a mundane job is still hilarious, and presented in a believable manner. There's movies that are funnier, better made and more competently acted, but for making do with what you have, Clerks succeeds admirably.