Clerks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clerks Reviews

½ November 25, 2017
And this brings low-budge, independent cinema into full circle; cramming with contend and characters begging to be seen.
November 16, 2017
Great film one my top 3 Favorite films.
November 2, 2017
Good filmed in black and white first ever Kevin Smith movie starring some random people.
½ October 1, 2017
Somehow quick paced quirky comedy but also laid back and mundane comedy. Also wonderfully nihilistic. A great low budget indie movie. Normally I hate screwball comedies (their pandering and unfunny) but this was actually fairly clever and kind of satirical. Also check out the history of the film, it's impressive and inspiring.
September 23, 2017
With its relatable characters and clever well-written dialogue, Clerks is considered classic when it comes to both comedy films and independent filmmaking.
August 27, 2017
Clerks is the type of movie that you have a better chance of enjoying it if you put yourself in the frame of mind of the audience at the time. Which means I don't think it'll appeal to all tastes. However most audiences at the time could relate to what the protagonists were going through but some of that effect was lost on me. However, in the end, I was still pretty glad I saw the movie. It's funny with a show-stealing Jay and Silent Bob in their first appearance and I admire the realistic approach it takes. I consider the movie to be the cinematic equivalent of a bottle episode since it was filmed on a shoestring budget and was predominantly just two guys talking in a convenience store whilst people decide to participate in the conversation as if they've been friends for a really long time. I was a bit put off by the fact that there literally isn't a story. At least it never felt like there was one. However I still laughed throughout especially when the protagonist's buddy places orders for a series of dirty tapes ;) in front of a woman and her daughter that have profane names prior to checking the tapes for some kiddie cartoon. With its sitcom type approach and gleefully profane yet still realistic dialogue, Clerks is a black-and-white comedy that proves that even a movie which is just two guys talking with some other stuff added in (+ Kevin Smith's words of wisdom when Silent Bob breaks his silence) can be entertaining.
August 18, 2017
1925 Was 69 Years Old In 1994.
August 10, 2017
Very good. Not much else to say about it.
½ August 9, 2017
It must be me, but really don't think this is an interesting movie at all!!
July 30, 2017
A prime example of the uniquely creative and crass gems produced by the American indie renaissance of the 1990s. "Clerks" is a beautifully listless and witty reflection on the boring day-to-day lives of the average Joe Schmoe, and the indie community is all the better for its existence.
July 15, 2017
Never cared for this movie.
Until I got into retail - you realise just how well they nailed this movie once you work retail.
June 27, 2017
Amazing considering the micro-budget of this film.
June 5, 2017
"You were'nt listening to a thing I said were you?"
"No I wasn't."
½ April 15, 2017
With an unprofessional cast, a paltry budget, few locations and a first-time Writer/Director, Clerks was a sleeper hit back in the mid-90s, and is still largely enjoyed today. It has its fair share of funny jokes, thoughtful conversations and strong believability in the interactions between its characters, particularly its leads. Its cheapness is almost always evident, what with over 50% of it taking place in the exact same frame, and the shop customers only ever ordering 'cigarettes', never stating an actual brand name. It doesn't need to be an hour and 40 minutes long, and the dialogue is frequently rambling and nowhere near as funny as Kevin Smith thinks it is. But what it has to say about movies, relationships and the grind of a mundane job is still hilarious, and presented in a believable manner. There's movies that are funnier, better made and more competently acted, but for making do with what you have, Clerks succeeds admirably.
April 8, 2017
this my favorite movie all time
½ March 20, 2017
A simple look into the life of people with dead-end jobs that's features great dialogue and fun characters, but isn't as funny as some would hope.
March 20, 2017
Great dialogue driven comedy
March 14, 2017
This film made Kevin Smith, and for good reasons! For such a low budget film, it's so well crafted. Such an unexpected hit in '94, but anyone who knows film, knows the impact that was made with this prize. Also, it's worth noting that ANYONE who has ever worked retail of some sort can relate to Jeff Anderson in this film, it's literally how we all want(ed) to act!
February 28, 2017
classic so funny and well made
February 17, 2017
Kevin Smith deserved all the fame he got after making this little low budget, fun movie he made with his friends and some people just walking around the city. Still think he could've reached higher levels with his career. Jay and Silent Bob's first appearance.