Clerks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clerks Reviews

½ April 15, 2017
With an unprofessional cast, a paltry budget, few locations and a first-time Writer/Director, Clerks was a sleeper hit back in the mid-90s, and is still largely enjoyed today. It has its fair share of funny jokes, thoughtful conversations and strong believability in the interactions between its characters, particularly its leads. Its cheapness is almost always evident, what with over 50% of it taking place in the exact same frame, and the shop customers only ever ordering 'cigarettes', never stating an actual brand name. It doesn't need to be an hour and 40 minutes long, and the dialogue is frequently rambling and nowhere near as funny as Kevin Smith thinks it is. But what it has to say about movies, relationships and the grind of a mundane job is still hilarious, and presented in a believable manner. There's movies that are funnier, better made and more competently acted, but for making do with what you have, Clerks succeeds admirably.
April 8, 2017
this my favorite movie all time
½ March 20, 2017
A simple look into the life of people with dead-end jobs that's features great dialogue and fun characters, but isn't as funny as some would hope.
March 20, 2017
Great dialogue driven comedy
March 14, 2017
This film made Kevin Smith, and for good reasons! For such a low budget film, it's so well crafted. Such an unexpected hit in '94, but anyone who knows film, knows the impact that was made with this prize. Also, it's worth noting that ANYONE who has ever worked retail of some sort can relate to Jeff Anderson in this film, it's literally how we all want(ed) to act!
February 28, 2017
classic so funny and well made
February 17, 2017
Kevin Smith deserved all the fame he got after making this little low budget, fun movie he made with his friends and some people just walking around the city. Still think he could've reached higher levels with his career. Jay and Silent Bob's first appearance.
February 7, 2017
Atlantian closeness.
January 28, 2017
This movie is unbelievably relatable. We all wish we could be Randall, but in reality, we're all Dante. We've been through a job that we despised, we felt stuck in a rut, and we made our problems sound like the worst thing ever. This film can actually change the way you view your situation in life and probably urge you to think about your next move.
½ January 24, 2017
Very clever and very funny.
½ January 16, 2017
Awful film. The first 10 minutes is quite promising, but then it descends into a load of misogynistic garbage. And it's in black & white for no good reason.
½ December 16, 2016
Maybe I feel good about this movie because of when I saw it(when I was a teenager). And it was a novel everyone was so raw
December 16, 2016
A personal favorite of mine with its quick, witty, clever dialogue and the charm of its tiny budgeted production. Though, yes, the acting is hit-or-miss sometimes and the direction can be called bland, it doesn't keep this movie from being a indie classic. "I Would Quote This Movie"
December 15, 2016
Kevin Smith shows us content is the key to creating an excellent film over quality, through a modest budget. With an amazing cast and 'down to earth' dialogue he captures a hilarious movie that deserves to be my #1 Comedy choice.
½ December 5, 2016
Ever wanted to remember your early 20's? Here you go. Depressing, funny, and a mess.
October 19, 2016
I really liked this movie for how it showed the relationship between the main characters, it's not a movie in which a lot of things happen, it's low budget and it shows, but the dialogue, the banter between the characters is everything, a great script and great performances by O'Halloran and Anderson.
October 17, 2016
Feature one the greatest Star Wars references ever.
½ September 23, 2016
B+
I will never process why 'Clerks' was filmed in black-and-white, although I can kind of see why. But to talk about the movie itself; it is definitely very funny and totally feels like it should be adapted to stage as a non-musical. Maybe I'll Tweet Kevin Smith right now.
September 9, 2016
Very well done. Thought the B
½ September 9, 2016
Vulgar, but tasteful, "Clerks" is a one of a kind cult comedy classic.