Cloud Atlas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cloud Atlas Reviews

½ January 3, 2018
Masterful filmmaking.
½ December 19, 2017
A grand story with lots of cool ideas, twists, artsiness and scope.... Yet it is highly subjective if that makes up for the needlessly disjointed presentation and at best loose connection between story arcs.
December 19, 2017
Liexy Melendez Gracia
Professor Itza Hernandez
English 050
15-dic-17
The Captivating "Cloud Atlas": You Will Never See Your Life in the Same Way.
''Cloud Atlas explores how the actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another throughout the past, the present and the future. Action, mystery and romance weave dramatically through the story as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero and a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future. Each member of the ensemble appears in multiple roles as the stories move through time.'' -- (C) Warner Bros.
This film shows the alternative realities that different people have over time. All these lives are interconnected with each other. Produced with a $102 million budget provided by independent sources, making it one of the most expensive independent films of all time. It has a genre of Drama, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Runtime: 172 minutes (2 hours and 51 minutes). Almost 3 hours, really extended movie, for sure, not for everyone. Despite the extension of time, it totally captivates how the film shows the past, present and future. It is fascinating in the way that the actors represent all their lives, characters, and how different they are in each one of them. There are 6 different stories, in different centuries, with the same people but with distinct roles in each of these stories. A complicated film, whit to much detail, but all whit a reason.
"Could Atlas", is a movie for a critical mind, not only to entertain you, if for making you have a deep analysis of life in general. It shows you how life is affected by every little detail that happens, like a kind of echo, or a drop that falls on a sea. One can say that it is of the best films, includes: action, love, drama, history, fantasy. Everything in a movie full of secrets revealed, revolution, humanity, is extremely intense (in an effective way). When is say action, is presented in every in each period of time, using: arch and arrow, axes, common pistols, knives, laser weapons, floating ships, chases, it has a lot of action. For example, when Hae-Joo Chang is going to escape whit Sonmi from the flying cops that are attacking whit laser weapons. An example of history would be, when they go back in time and shows when most of black men were slaves in the fields; Autua (David Gyasi) was a slave who was being whipped to bleed. Love and Romance is in each of the 6 histories', one of the most impacting is the relationship of Sonmi and Hae-Joo Chang, they seek to end the abuse the clones and use them as food for future clones created. Being Sonnmi one of them.
Topics like these are not suitable for any kind of audience, that is sensitive for this kind of thing. As they show graphically murders, massacres, scenes of sex; objectively speaking, these are the factors that can make this movie not enjoyable for some people. Despite its long duration, it always keeps you intrigued with the "that will happen" the plot, the stories, the great wave of events that guide the characters through all lives. From an objective point of view, you can say that it has a philosophical tone. Throughout the whole movie the majority of the characters bring profound messages like: "Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future". It contains so much wisdom, really like the format of this movie. The structure of the development of events were incredibly stunning, how from the past suddenly we go to the future and then to the present. Not easy to understand for everyone, or just for someone that are not used to this kind of movies.
The performance of each one of the characters was spectacular, a perfect interpretation. Halle Berry, she participated in all the 6 stories as: Native woman, Jocasta Ayrs, Luisa Rey, Guest at the Indian party, Ovid, and Meronym. Also, has made other movies like "Cat woman", "Kidnap" etc.... an experienced actress. "Cloud Atlas" has a complete stage of all and every single one of the scenes. This is not easy to me in this film, due to the constant change in period (eras, epochs, specific time). There is even a scene of the future on another planet.
Concluding all this fantastic cinematic art piece, is a movie we all have to watch. This movie makes you evolve mentally due to the deep content, presented in a philosophic tone. Personally, this is one of my favorites movies to watch and analyze. I always recommended to everyone that likes a good Sci-fi movie. You can watch it many times and always find something new, that my favorite part. I am never going to regret the day a saw this wonderful film.
December 15, 2017
I am currently in the process of watching this movie, & I must say, if not payed attention to closely, one could easily become lost & confused. The movie follows one plot, but feels as though it's following many. The movie shows that one action made in the past, has/will affect the present/future. Personally, I find such intricately designed movies as fascinating as someone my age would find a zombie movie or a "rom-com". This movie, even though I've yet to finish it, has already surpassed my expectation & I must say, I am in love. (I am a 15 year female old high school student from Tx)
½ December 14, 2017
Trailer looks absolutely stunning. I truly hope this movie is as transcendental as the trailer suggests.
December 12, 2017
It's supposed to be a good show. That's my ONLY favorite movie of 2012.
December 11, 2017
Stretches on for too long without really providing a satisfying narrative to tie all the plots together.
December 8, 2017
Me ha dejado pensativa y no me he enterado muy bien ya que puede ser confusa, sin embargo puedo decir que hay ciertas escenas que me han gustado mucho. La recomiendo.
November 27, 2017
This is not a film for the dim. Audience members who are easily bored, or who cannot follow anything but the most linear of plotlines will not like it. They will label it as "endless" "uncomprehensible" "boring" or a "mess". Those with the depth to appreciate its many layers, on the other hand, will discover an extremely insightful, moving epic.
½ November 22, 2017
Cloud Atlas remarkably displays love, courage, and camaraderie in a series of tales that strangely interwove themselves together. It is uniquely directed and storyboarding unlike any other. When you arrive in the world of Cloud Atlas, leave everything you know behind.
½ November 6, 2017
Though a little convoluted at times this film is a mesmerizing and fascinating adventure in which 6 stories and film genres are weaved together like a strange and beautiful cinematic tapestry.
October 8, 2017
I loved this movie when it came out. I still love it now. It offers many familiar plot lines but tells them in a unique fashion. Finally some Hollywood originality!
October 6, 2017
Weird, so weird but interesting.
October 5, 2017
My favorite movie, the characters, the scenes, the history, it's everything fascinating, i love the theme and love the actors, they are great in heir scenes, you can cry, laught and have too much fun and learning with this!
October 2, 2017
A confusing mess this film maybe, but it's a beautiful confusing mess; which looks stunning, sounds incredible and just feels amazing.
½ September 30, 2017
Concept is amazing. Execution...eh
September 30, 2017
As someone who enjoyed the book, I had long been sceptical that this would work as a film and that had put me off watching Cloud Atlas. After finally watching it, my fears were confirmed.

Cloud Atlas is an ambitious film. It tells 6 different but loosely connected stories starting in Polynesia in the 19th century going through to a post apocalyptic world in the distant future. Some of the stories are stronger than others with Luisa Rey's (Halle Berry) being my favourite but Timothy Cavendish's (Jim Broadbent) being a bit cringe worthy (which was a shame as this was one of my favourites in the book). Each story also utilises the same cast. For the most part, this is a nice touch as it can be fun to see who each cast member is in each story. It also helps create a better feeling that each story is slightly interlinked. The drawback of this approach is that it's resulted in some cast members having make up to make them look a different race. This hasn't been done very well in some cases and is very distracting. It does also lead to a bit of miscasting. Although it's only a brief appearance, Tom Hanks does not work as a cockney thug.

The biggest problem for Cloud Atlas is how the stories are told. It was always going to be tough to get each story to flow smoothly in a film just shy of three hours and it hasn't been achieved here. The way the film cuts between each story is rather jarring often having a scene that lasts no more than a minute or two before chopping to a different set of characters. This makes the film feel disjointed and makes it much easier to get distracted. Had each story been broken down into fewer, larger chunks it would have felt a lot less all other the place and would be much easier to follow but instead it's a bit of a mess.
September 19, 2017
Fantastic, moving, complex. This is storytelling at its finest, weaving together the seemingly disparate tales of characters distanced from each other by time, yet linked by purpose, and some undefinable yet palpable thread. Cloud Atlas is so well paced, I was a bit surprised by its run time when I finally noticed I was just past the halfway point. The plot of Cloud Atlas is composed much like the sextet one of the characters creates in kind, appropriately the film's namesake, layering all its different instruments into a masterpiece - the film has a cadence, and incorporates discord leading into harmony. It is not an easy film to absorb, as its very subject matter is also difficult for many to swallow, on top of requiring the audience to pay much more attention than any of the standard summer blockbuster fare. But if you are willing to be taken outside of your comfort zone, or are already one who doesn't balk at revolutionary ideologies, you're in for a poignant work of cinematic beauty. Perhaps a 66% rating across the board is actually higher acclaim than one could have hoped, though far lower than Cloud Atlas deserves.
September 17, 2017
Terrible movie.. Waste of 3 hours of my life. If you are ok with blatant racism against asians and a story line that does not have any deeper meaning, by all means go watch it...
September 16, 2017
Amazing. In every way. This film will get in your head and, if you're listening, your heart.