Cloud Atlas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cloud Atlas Reviews

March 25, 2017
in my opinion this was best than the matrix trilogy.
½ March 23, 2017
The theme is good ,but the layout made me confused. Most by people who haven't seen many other films will be interested.
March 20, 2017
Feeling a little lost? No need, as it is actually quite simple; four short films made into one with the same actors. Do not try to overthink the connections and just watch. It will be more entertaining that way.
½ March 14, 2017
The most incoherent movie I couldn't even finish watching.
March 12, 2017
Behind the curtain of time and against the lovely backdrops of the well-imagined eras, the story this actually tells is a little too cliched and empty. It's not bad, but this is one of the ones you'll wish (and could have been) so, so much greater.
½ March 6, 2017
Very interesting movie... not sure how they got all these big name actors to sign up for something so confusing and.... reaching. It took about 2 hours for me to even sort of kind of maybe get what story and plot they were trying to tell... then the movie went on for another hour. I feel like this could have been done differently, and much better. It just felt like some writer/directors passion project, that had no outside input from any other human, to let them know when there might be an issue.
February 26, 2017
Worth every minute to paying attention to this complex script. Acting is superb particularly involving the numerous characterizations by each actor. Makeup excellent to the point where identifying the actor's threads is extremely nuanced. Loved it...
February 21, 2017
Meh.

Well acted and directed story of how individuals are entwined across time and lifetimes. Great idea but odd execution. It lost me with the constant preaching of altruistic Ideals being the paramount achievement of mankind - which is just wrong.
February 16, 2017
Wonderful movie, in every aspect. The cast was well-chosen, the acting, done with precision and emotion; the intertwined stories and the message they try to deliver (and they do it well) are just charming. Whether you believe or not in the persistence of soul and reincarnation, there's still another message: one has their role to play, their piece to move, leaving their mark in history. Not forcedly the History, with a big H, but the history of all, the history that people might or might not know about, the history that ever so slightly and silently inflects the future.
Again, wonderful in every aspect.
February 11, 2017
Amazing movie. Rare to see such beautifully made movies
½ February 8, 2017
There's no faulting its ambition and potentially, this is the kind of film I thought I would gravitate to. Sadly, it didn't live up to the hype for me. Too many stories were unravelling and how I was expected to wrap it all up into some sort of case for universal synchronicity was a tough expectation. A 'less is more' approach like 'Babel' or 'Touch Of Sin' may have been more effective. Great production though. It looks fantastic and if you want that rare privilege of seeing Hugh Grant sink his thesping teeth into some character roles, this is the place!
January 31, 2017
What a mess... I wanted to like it, I really did. It could've been one of those "so bad it's good" movies. But that was never meant to be. The tipping point for me was the realization that one of the plots was just a remake of Soylent Green.
½ January 26, 2017
Otra joyita de la imaginación de los hermanos Wachowski, que nos trajeron la trilogía de The Matrix, Cloud Atlas está basada en la novela de David Mitchel y cuenta 6 historias interrelacionadas desde la perspectiva y la prospectiva, lo que muchas veces demanda un esfuerzo intelectual de parte del público. En definitiva, esta película es 'para pensar', dado que cuenta con una gran cantidad de detalles y en las 6 historias intervienen solamente 13 actores entre principales y secundarios. De diálogos tan sutiles como profundos, Cloud Atlas, habla de reencuentros en diferentes vidas y a diferentes edades, en una especie de todo que todo lo interconecta. Me pareció simplemente fantástica. Con Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Waving, Jim Sturgess, Jim Broadbent, Ben Wishaw, Hugh Grant, Susan Sarandon
January 17, 2017
Complex but brilliant. Visually gripping. Wonderfully acted. Profound yet at times profoundly funny.
January 14, 2017
I really enjoyed this.
January 12, 2017
The greatest movie I have ever seen. The plot is so deep. First time I watched it I thought it was just o.k., the second time I really paid attention and I loved it so. If Hollywood made a couple movies like this per year I would stop hating on all the crap they put out.
January 8, 2017
My 4/5 is based on a number of things:
- the diversity in 'costuming' people across the 'ages'. I nearly didn't recognise some actors
- the cast was brilliant, acting good.
- the theme around connection to others, living beyond your natural life, action/inaction with consequences was what kept me engaged.

I thought the film was rather long, so I needed breaks! I do think that it needed to be long enough for multiple story lines to be conveyed adequately.

The ending feels sort of vague, I guess I expected something quite dramatic or explosive.

I think I'd watch this again. There are some awesome quotes that I thought were both moving and inspirational. My favourite was:
"All boundaries are conventions, waiting to be transcended. One may transcend any convention if only one can first conceive of doing so. Moments like this, I can feel your heart beating as clearly as I feel my own, and I know that separation is an illusion. My life extends far beyond the limitations of me."

I'd watch again, if only to clarify bits I failed to follow adequately...
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 13, 2016
Interesting movie. The cast was amazing and the special effects were very good. I'm not going to pretend like I understand what this movie was about, whether it was arranged thematically rather than chronically, or whether the running themes had to do with people trying to oppress others and the good people who fight against oppression, or what goes around comes around. This movie would be a cinema teacher's wet dream. Write a thesis about the themes and symbolism illustrated in cloud atlas! Decent movie. I would recommend if you have the time and feel like not tuning out of a movie. Subtitles are your friend for this movie!
½ November 29, 2016
Both my wife and I love this movie. It's thick in plot, which might not be for everybody, but I find refreshing. Everytime I watch it, I think about the various chapters for days after.