Cloud Atlas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cloud Atlas Reviews

September 19, 2017
Fantastic, moving, complex. This is storytelling at its finest, weaving together the seemingly disparate tales of characters distanced from each other by time, yet linked by purpose, and some undefinable yet palpable thread. Cloud Atlas is so well paced, I was a bit surprised by its run time when I finally noticed I was just past the halfway point. The plot of Cloud Atlas is composed much like the sextet one of the characters creates in kind, appropriately the film's namesake, layering all its different instruments into a masterpiece - the film has a cadence, and incorporates discord leading into harmony. It is not an easy film to absorb, as its very subject matter is also difficult for many to swallow, on top of requiring the audience to pay much more attention than any of the standard summer blockbuster fare. But if you are willing to be taken outside of your comfort zone, or are already one who doesn't balk at revolutionary ideologies, you're in for a poignant work of cinematic beauty. Perhaps a 66% rating across the board is actually higher acclaim than one could have hoped, though far lower than Cloud Atlas deserves.
September 17, 2017
Terrible movie.. Waste of 3 hours of my life. If you are ok with blatant racism against asians and a story line that does not have any deeper meaning, by all means go watch it...
September 16, 2017
Amazing. In every way. This film will get in your head and, if you're listening, your heart.
½ September 12, 2017
Ambitious and original, what "Cloud Atlas" lacks in narrative clarity it more than makes up for in terms of depth of character. That a 3-hour film never left me bored, but had me wanting more, is remarkable in itself; while the scope ultimately overwhelms the picture, what makes it on screen is delightful and engaging to watch. Towards this end, the film elevates its pacing and its aesthetic creativity by varying its cinematic style with each storyline: The future is shot like a modern scifi action movie, the past like a melodramatic period piece, the 70s like a hardboiled political thriller, and so on. Each would make an entertaining movie in its own right, even if, when smashed together, the result is somewhat muddled.
September 9, 2017
Simply fucking brilliant!
½ September 5, 2017
It's a very complex complex complex movie. It need half an hour to know wtf is going on? Who is who and what is what..... Since some time to review such deep movie.
½ September 1, 2017
Some films, like Cloud Atlas , put the mind into a discombobulated mess as they complicate a simple message.....our actions have an affect on the universe.....dare I say "duh"
September 1, 2017
What a very ambitious movie! This is a long, visually stunning masterpiece that incorporates six different stories, told across multiple centuries. It features three main characters who are featured in each of the six storylines. It is a crazy movie to follow and one that you will have to watch again to get everything. It's not a movie that you will run back to over and over, but it was perfect for a rainy day, it definitely makes you think, incorporates some wonderful visual effects and it just makes for a deep movie.

Update: I've now seen it twice. Honestly the second half is where all the action is. But the first half is where they build up the whole story. I would never watch this movie again. It is just way too long and way too many stories going on.
½ August 27, 2017
Pretty sure this was something amazing. The acting was brilliant. The sound and visuals were brilliant. The writing possessed a bit of everything in equal parts - i like that.

It did feel a bit preachy, especially toward the end, like it was trying to ram the moral of the story down our throats,but that did seem to provide all the bits of plot with a destination, so that's understandable.

When the credits rolled, I felt I had experienced something - and I liked it.
½ August 20, 2017
Almost no continuity between the many convoluted narratives, none of which had enough depth to stand alone. Sad that acting greats like Tom Hanks and Hugo Weaving wasted their talents with a mess such as this.
Glad I didn't waste money to watch this, but how do I get back 172 minutes of my life?
August 20, 2017
Pretty, absorbed me, and the reveal of the underlying urgency of the message was inspiring.
½ August 19, 2017
Good but even after 2 hours and 52 minutes I still don't understand ??
August 18, 2017
not sure I followed it all, but very thought provoking and enthralling.
½ August 15, 2017
love the story. But missing the book's genius.
½ August 12, 2017
2014-01-17 3 hrs long, hubby bored before 1 hr mark and quit, I stuck it out. interesting but confusing.
August 11, 2017
Far too overly ambitious and long for its own good, Cloud Atlas still scores points for its sheer scope and the originality of its storytelling.
August 7, 2017
The plot structure was too complicated for casual watching, but not engaging enough that we wanted to put in the effort to figure out what was going on. It needed either a simpler narrative that I could watch while I'm on Facebook, or a story that's engaging enough that I wanted to pay attention to it. (Preferably the latter)

Sadly, it had neither.
August 6, 2017
I started watching this film with no real knowledge of what it was about not what to expect from its near 3hr runtime. I have not read the book, but I had been told previously of its unique structure (the 'Russian doll' idea of several stories with their narratives surrounding each other). Twyker and the Wachowskis have dispensed with this idea and instead gone with a jumble of all the stories played simultaneously. This is actually for the better I think and although the frantic editing causes a little confusion sometimes, the stories remain engaging and you become involved enough to seek a satisfying conclusion. The problem with this style is that you rarely have time to invest any deep emotion in the characters. I found that I wanted to know what happened in the end but that I didn't actually care how that ending happened. Everything is just played out in front of you and you are too busy adjusting to which story you've just arrived in to actually root for the journey of any particular character (with the exception of the Timothy Cavendish and his mates, due to an endearing performance from Jim Broadbent.)
There were many things I liked about this film. The acting is superb from a talented cast, all taking on a multitude of characters from all of the stories. It was surprising to see that this actually worked thanks to some dedicated performances from the cast and some interesting prosthetics.
The exception was a few weak turns from Hugo weaving who failed to distance some of his characters from each other. Particular credit to Hugh Grant and Tom Hanks for their variety and commitment.
The film is undeniably beautiful and is certainly ambitious. It is done on a truly massive scale with stories that literally span millennia. I enjoyed the interlinking symbols from each story to carry into the next (the pacific diary, the letters to friend, the novel...) and this becomes the only linear part of an otherwise mind-bending narrative.
Philosophical ideas of the afterlife, souls linking across the ages, fate and consequence are all dealt with here. Some of which I agreed with, others I did not. The themes of love and freedom and the good in people are also prominent throughout and at least provide an underlying message that resonates with the audience.
This is a film of epic proportions and so credit is due to at least put together something that makes some sense. I did find it entertaining to watch and thought provoking once the credits rolled.
Definitely worth a watch, be you a lover of the book or someone who has never picked it up.
August 4, 2017
Amazing movie by an Amazing director team.
½ July 20, 2017
Were we? Were we ready for the size, spectacle and ambitious nature of Cloud Atlas? While I admit the storyline is a bit convoluted, it still boasts enough redeeming qualities to make it an entertaining and thought-provoking watch. The visuals are great as any Wachowski fan has come to expect. The performances from its ensemble cast are great. There isn't nothing more amusing than to see Hugo Weaving dress in drag as an evil nurse in modern-day England. The score is great and I found Ben Whishaw's story to be well-executed with the letters that Whishaw reads to the audience helping add to the dramatic flair. Hard to think that this marked the Wachowskis' return to form when considering this came out before Sense8. This film indeed marked the start of a beautiful friendship between The Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer. There's also action, romance and humour. That last one applies primarily to Jim Broadbent's story. It's also fun to guess who's playing who. I have doubts that anyone knew until the end credits that the Spanish lady in Halle Berry's 1970s story was Doona Bae. You know Sun from Sense8 who also has her own story set in the future but before Tom Hanks' story with those, to be true-true, weird accen's 'n a post-apocalpytic werld in Hawaii where they respec' Bae's character from 2144 as a gaddess af sorts. "Sounds kinda racist" How would you know? We don't know if it's gonna come down to that yet. So, to summarize it all, Cloud Atlas is occasionally convoluted but the build-up in each time period, amazing visuals and ambitious storytelling help mark the first step in The Wachowskis' welcome return to form. Jupiter Ascending was just a minor bump in the road, that's all. This one will probably require a second viewing however to truly be appreciated for what it is.