Cloud Atlas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cloud Atlas Reviews

June 23, 2017
Creative, innovative and beautifully told. Remarkable utilisation of the talent of the cast, make-up and design team, story and music. The converging stories and "reincarnation" of people over time was stunning, as well as the depiction of developments over time. The is one of my favourite films of all time.
June 21, 2017
The Wachowski's have created an ambitious tapestry of a movie with a simple message, that we are all connected. Cloud Atlas is one of the most unique films of the year !
June 18, 2017
Cloud Atlas traz seis historias simultâneas de épocas diferentes contadas de traz para frente e interpretada pelos mesmos atores, ou seja, já é de longe a narrativa mais ousada do cinema, como se não bastasse o tema é altamente complexo tratando de assuntos filosóficos de cunho teológico. Os roteiristas ariscaram tudo, e se jogaram em uma trama que poderia ter o mesmo sucesso de Matrix ou ate supera-lo mas, não foi o caso, e nem passou perto, o resultado é um filme inchado, com frases de efeito soltas e uma tentativa de remendar cenas para nos convencer de que as nossas escolhas afetam todos em todo o tempo. Muita lenha para pouco fogo.
½ June 15, 2017
Gripping good watch, with a lot going on! Some of it is a little cliched but still very enjoyable, its sad, funny and everything in between.
June 10, 2017
Gibberish attempting to look profound. Insultingly long to add to the injury.
June 7, 2017
i hate this movie with a passion i just want everyone to know this
June 6, 2017
Usually, I wouldn't rate a movie 5 out of 5, but I think this movie deserves better than a 66%. It's siimply my favorite movie. A wonderfully written piece of art with a fantastic climax. Great music too.
June 5, 2017
There are only a few movies I can watch over and over again, and this is one of them. This movie is grandly pieced together and each story line is interesting in it's own way. It's a movie that makes me see something different in it every time I watch it, and the underlying themes and ideas keep my mind reeling for days, with problems old as time that keep repeating themselves and are just as applicable in today's society as it was hundreds of years ago.

I do admit the first start watching it seems confusing but the buildup is gradually masterful and comes to a peak right at the end, and everything makes sense. Watching it the second time, you can really appreciate it from start to finish.

With the current political climate, with the ideas so elegantly touched on in this movie I don't understand the low rating. And the musical score is amazing.
May 29, 2017
Could not finish watching this movie. Two thumbs down.
½ May 28, 2017
Too confusing, overlong, bad script, but good visual effects, costume, and good acting.
½ May 26, 2017
There's no faulting its ambition and potentially, this is the kind of film I thought I would gravitate to. Sadly, it didn't live up to the hype for me. Too many stories were unravelling and how I was expected to wrap it all up into some sort of case for universal synchronicity was a tough expectation. A 'less is more' approach like 'Babel' or 'Touch Of Sin' may have been more effective. Great production though. It looks fantastic and if you want that rare privilege of seeing Hugh Grant sink his thesping teeth into some character roles, this is the place!
½ May 20, 2017
First, absurdly long. Second, VERY uneven. Special effects @ makeup were great in some areas, horrible in others. Some just look like dime store rubber Halloween masks. Third, I hate 'futurespeak' - that made up language way in the future because regular language has morphed/died off/etc. They all sound the same: like the kids in Mad Max Thunderdome. Fourth, the acting is good in some areas, laughable in others. At one point, Tom Hanks literally comes off as a pirate instead of the novelist his character is. Fifth, its long. Did I already mention that? It's long & it FEELS long. Sixth, parts feel cut & paste from The Matrix; right down to the same actor playing the bad guy. But then it directly steals from many other films as well. Seventh, some stories involve a Guns n Roses style devil character for no plausible reason. Eighth, narration. I hate it. If you're movie needs to be explained by words, you've failed. Lastly, the future realm had great special effects & ship design that are forever wasted. Would've been nice in a good SciFi film. Now it's just filler here.
And it's long. Lllllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggg. Long.
Each story is probably no more than 20-30 minutes, but they play one story for 2 minutes, then another, and so on. Some if these individual stories might be good on their own, or even sequentially, but they get lost in this constant rotation. For example, one story involves a bunch of elderly folks escaping a rest home & a female nurse who's more butch than the Rock. It's quite funny and would be a cool story if it weren't interrupted by the Matrix rip off, then the 1700s on a slave ship, then the chase scene in 1970s San Francisco, then maybe back to their escape ....TIRING. Very, very tiring.
½ May 6, 2017
With "Cloud Atlas," the Wachowski siblings outdo themselves while not letting their ambitions escape their grasps. This bold sic-fi epic links together several stories, each with their own ideas, rules, themes, and tone, that span over the past, present, and future, and is sure to fascinate viewers with its visuals and inspired concept of past lives, granted audiences keep an open mind.
May 6, 2017
Best film I have ever seen. Incredibly powerful and full of hope and love. The importance in the movie lies in the feelings it instills within the viewer, not in the sprawling and limitless scope of its narrative and plot. A masterpiece.
May 2, 2017
Must see! Amazing movie! WATCH IT!
April 14, 2017
Just an awful convoluted mess. You won't remember one name of the cast or one sentence of dialogue.
March 30, 2017
Good movie. While an initial viewing may be hard to grasp, it becomes a much stronger and intricate storyline featuring some unique twists, solid humor and breathtaking visual effects, as well as great performances from its cast, especially Hanks, Broadbent and Weaving. It's certainly an ambitious project with stylish direction and intellectual grandeur, but it's just a little slow and convoluted, and in trying to connect stories with actors playing races not their own, including white playing Asian, just didn't feel quite right.
March 28, 2017
What a breathtaking film! I recommend at least 2 viewings for full effect. It's flawed but gorgeous, riveting, and deeply moving. It's a type of off-beat masterpiece that faithfully translates the mad genius of the eponymous book it's based on. I won't even touch on the plot, but suffice to say it traces the invisible threads that connect 6 seemingly disparate characters (and the rest of humanity) through journeys filled with treachery, heartache, yearning, learned wisdom, bravery, and redemption, through 6 distinct periods in human history spanning from the 1800s to a distant post-apocalyptic future. Acting is mostly superb. Makeup is uneven but can be forgiven. Dialog is hard to decipher at times so I actually recommend subtitles for a thorough understanding of the experience. Editing is very well done and plays into the themes of the David Mitchell book in a way that only a visual medium can. The score, written by co-director Tom Tykwer, is the most haunting and beautiful piece of movie music I've ever heard. Hats off to him, the Wachowskis, Mitchell, and the cast and crew who made this singular experience possible.
March 28, 2017
One of the best movies ever! You will have to watch it a couple of times to understand it. But, the way scenes changes from one story to another, it is absolutely fantastic. Six different movies, merged amazingly into one!
½ March 28, 2017
Misunderstood by seeing some of the other ratings. We are all connected, as is every action we take. There are consequences for everything good or bad.