Cloud Atlas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cloud Atlas Reviews

April 17, 2018
Very good movie. Thought provoking, confusing, beautiful, and sad all at the same time.
½ April 12, 2018
excruciatingly bloated and silly 'high-concept' film that never finds it footing. it's desperately ambitious, but the script is more laughable than fascinating. 'cloud atlas' is little more than disjointed visuals and unpleasant make-up demonstrations. the grander it tries to be, the more it tires.
April 8, 2018
It is just a three-hour waste of time except it's philosophical anecdote.
April 5, 2018
All the stories in Cloud Atlas are good on their own, but the theme of interconnectedness throughout the ages and that we are bound to the past present and future by others and their decisions gets lost in translation. What you take away from this movie is going to be different than what someone else takes away from it, and it forces you to extrapolate and think, but it forces you to do that over the span of 3 hours which is far too long.
March 17, 2018
Very impressive in it's scope, and a very well told story. Nice to have some thought provoking sci-fi
March 15, 2018
No clue as to whether history will be kind to this movie, but personally I will always defend it for the masterpiece that it is. Critics complaining about the movie being incomprehensible simply give away their own stupidity, so I'm not even going to take that point serious.
I've read the book afterwards and though it's fantastic structure had to be let go by the Wachowski's I can wholly understand the reasons as cinematically the book's piramid structure would not have worked in this medium.
Funny thing is that I didn't care much for most performances except for hilarious Jim Broadbent in his Timothy Cavendish persona and the utterly spellbinding Bae Doo-na who commands your attention every second she is on screen, the others are mostly forgettable.
So, why a masterpiece then?
Well, first of all both visually and musically the movie is unforgettable, but where it shines the most is simply the power of its story that purveys a message this world is in dire need of (transcended later on in their Sense8 series) of the interconnectedness of humanity through time of what came berfore us as well as in time between us.
One can take the easy road of course and be cynical about it, but that only shows how much we need this message to become what drives us a species.
The movie is a work of awe and beauty that I will keep revisiting.
March 9, 2018
It is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I saw in the movie theater four times when it came out. I loved it so much, I bought the blue Blu-ray. I'm very picky about what movies I add to my collection.
March 5, 2018
This movie really makes one think. How true it is that humans are destined to repeat the same mistakes over and over unless there is a mass (or even gradual) "awakening" of humanity ;-)
February 19, 2018
Splendid journey that takes you on a memorable journey!
½ February 10, 2018
(5.5 out of 6)- The Declaration of Independence
The Want, Will, and Hopes of the People

When we don't always see where secrets are hidden, when they are baried under ground, within us, in our voice, in our words, in our heart and soul to know it's there as hard as we look. When secrets we hold others see more clearer to go to them. When we see what seeing and not seeing secrets for what they are when it's a mystery that can make logic seem crazy that we see is right. When we unearth secrets to shed light on the truth in all places to know and for what we represent and get out from our chest. When we see the secrets of what those hold are on the eye of the beholder when we see value, judgment, and justice before it's too late.

When the secrets lie in documents that hold such truths evident, that all men are created equal, given rights by the eye of God to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.
January 31, 2018
Cloud Atlas is a bunch of mediocre storylines cobbled together in a way that makes it seem like it's something clever. It's not. It's definitely ambitious, but I think the only people truly enjoying themselves during this bloated and pretentious movie are the makeup artists who, apparently, had an unlimited budget for rubber noses.
January 20, 2018
CLOUD ATLAS has haunted me for six years, because it's the only science fiction blockbuster that I've ever skipped out on watching. The film is a very difficult endeavor, taking into account its three-hour runtime, experimental intertwining of six fast-edited unrelated plot-lines, and the arcane coloration between selfsame actors portraying random characters in varying centuries. Despite being archived as the most expensive independent film ever produced, it will take over an hour for the less attentive viewer to grasp CLOUD ATLAS' avant-garde structuring and unfortunately can only be completely followed by those willing to put six-hours of their life into watching it twice.
½ January 3, 2018
Masterful filmmaking.
½ December 19, 2017
A grand story with lots of cool ideas, twists, artsiness and scope.... Yet it is highly subjective if that makes up for the needlessly disjointed presentation and at best loose connection between story arcs.
December 19, 2017
Liexy Melendez Gracia
Professor Itza Hernandez
English 050
15-dic-17
The Captivating "Cloud Atlas": You Will Never See Your Life in the Same Way.
''Cloud Atlas explores how the actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another throughout the past, the present and the future. Action, mystery and romance weave dramatically through the story as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero and a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future. Each member of the ensemble appears in multiple roles as the stories move through time.'' -- (C) Warner Bros.
This film shows the alternative realities that different people have over time. All these lives are interconnected with each other. Produced with a $102 million budget provided by independent sources, making it one of the most expensive independent films of all time. It has a genre of Drama, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Runtime: 172 minutes (2 hours and 51 minutes). Almost 3 hours, really extended movie, for sure, not for everyone. Despite the extension of time, it totally captivates how the film shows the past, present and future. It is fascinating in the way that the actors represent all their lives, characters, and how different they are in each one of them. There are 6 different stories, in different centuries, with the same people but with distinct roles in each of these stories. A complicated film, whit to much detail, but all whit a reason.
"Could Atlas", is a movie for a critical mind, not only to entertain you, if for making you have a deep analysis of life in general. It shows you how life is affected by every little detail that happens, like a kind of echo, or a drop that falls on a sea. One can say that it is of the best films, includes: action, love, drama, history, fantasy. Everything in a movie full of secrets revealed, revolution, humanity, is extremely intense (in an effective way). When is say action, is presented in every in each period of time, using: arch and arrow, axes, common pistols, knives, laser weapons, floating ships, chases, it has a lot of action. For example, when Hae-Joo Chang is going to escape whit Sonmi from the flying cops that are attacking whit laser weapons. An example of history would be, when they go back in time and shows when most of black men were slaves in the fields; Autua (David Gyasi) was a slave who was being whipped to bleed. Love and Romance is in each of the 6 histories', one of the most impacting is the relationship of Sonmi and Hae-Joo Chang, they seek to end the abuse the clones and use them as food for future clones created. Being Sonnmi one of them.
Topics like these are not suitable for any kind of audience, that is sensitive for this kind of thing. As they show graphically murders, massacres, scenes of sex; objectively speaking, these are the factors that can make this movie not enjoyable for some people. Despite its long duration, it always keeps you intrigued with the "that will happen" the plot, the stories, the great wave of events that guide the characters through all lives. From an objective point of view, you can say that it has a philosophical tone. Throughout the whole movie the majority of the characters bring profound messages like: "Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future". It contains so much wisdom, really like the format of this movie. The structure of the development of events were incredibly stunning, how from the past suddenly we go to the future and then to the present. Not easy to understand for everyone, or just for someone that are not used to this kind of movies.
The performance of each one of the characters was spectacular, a perfect interpretation. Halle Berry, she participated in all the 6 stories as: Native woman, Jocasta Ayrs, Luisa Rey, Guest at the Indian party, Ovid, and Meronym. Also, has made other movies like "Cat woman", "Kidnap" etc.... an experienced actress. "Cloud Atlas" has a complete stage of all and every single one of the scenes. This is not easy to me in this film, due to the constant change in period (eras, epochs, specific time). There is even a scene of the future on another planet.
Concluding all this fantastic cinematic art piece, is a movie we all have to watch. This movie makes you evolve mentally due to the deep content, presented in a philosophic tone. Personally, this is one of my favorites movies to watch and analyze. I always recommended to everyone that likes a good Sci-fi movie. You can watch it many times and always find something new, that my favorite part. I am never going to regret the day a saw this wonderful film.
December 15, 2017
I am currently in the process of watching this movie, & I must say, if not payed attention to closely, one could easily become lost & confused. The movie follows one plot, but feels as though it's following many. The movie shows that one action made in the past, has/will affect the present/future. Personally, I find such intricately designed movies as fascinating as someone my age would find a zombie movie or a "rom-com". This movie, even though I've yet to finish it, has already surpassed my expectation & I must say, I am in love. (I am a 15 year female old high school student from Tx)
½ December 14, 2017
Trailer looks absolutely stunning. I truly hope this movie is as transcendental as the trailer suggests.
December 12, 2017
It's supposed to be a good show. That's my ONLY favorite movie of 2012.
December 11, 2017
Stretches on for too long without really providing a satisfying narrative to tie all the plots together.
December 8, 2017
Me ha dejado pensativa y no me he enterado muy bien ya que puede ser confusa, sin embargo puedo decir que hay ciertas escenas que me han gustado mucho. La recomiendo.