Compliance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Compliance Reviews

June 26, 2017
It would be hard to convince people of the plausibility of the premise being displayed here unless stated that it's based on true story. And even if it were, it would still be hard to let people stay long enough to endure.
½ May 7, 2017
It's just a prank, bro...

Becky and Sandra aren't the best of friends. Sandra is a middle-aged manager at a fast-food restaurant; Becky is a teenaged counter girl who really needs the job. One stressful day (too many customers and too little bacon), a police officer calls, accusing Becky of stealing money from a customer's purse, which she vehemently denies. Sandra, overwhelmed by her managerial responsibilities, complies with the officer's orders to detain Becky. This choice begins a nightmare that tragically blurs the lines between expedience and prudence, legality and reason.

"Compliance" is a smart and stunning thriller that's even scarier because it's based on true events. I still can't tell if the most disturbing thing about this is the fact that it actually happened, or that the people involved were so blinded by the comfort of the "law" that they pushed the boundaries of everything humanely moral. Either way, the fear of being in this situation definitely haunts me and the disgusting, perverted nature of some people kills me.

One thing I liked is that the movie was well written. It moved at a nice pace and although I didn't really comprehend why they did some things the way they did, I still felt that they executed it really well. I don't agree with every action and direction they went with in this film, but they did a good job none the less.

The acting, for the most part, was solid. In all honesty though, I didn't love the acting, especially from the main actress. Dreama Walker was fine as the lead, but she had some awkward moments and lines that made her expendable. Ann Dowd was probably the top talent in this entire film, and I really appreciate the genuine emotion she brought with her role.

This film really explores the idea of how far people will go when they think they're doing the right thing. I don't know if you can chalk that more up to stupidity or what, as the situation was pretty questionable throughout. But it still makes for a disturbing theme that's scarier because it's real.

In the end, "Compliance" is a solid, independent thriller that deserves more recognition.
½ May 5, 2017
It's the performances and the direction that are the most top notch for 'Compliance', but damn is it a great suspense piece!
½ April 7, 2017
The manager received a call of a possible thief. This never happens at a real work place and although when I first saw this movie a few things came to my attention
1) After 10 minutes, I will hang up the phone
2) I'll demand a officer on site before doing a strip search
3) I'll call my DM and her parents
The more I watch it, the more I want to say why is the manager so stupid. Leaving her with a stranger and allowing the strangers to smack her ass. Not notifying her parents and just kept following instructions until the janitor steps up What A BITCH the MANAGER is
½ February 13, 2017
This is based on a true story which makes it all the more insane!
November 12, 2016
Not worth sitting through the 90 minutes.
November 7, 2016
Commendably faithful to the disturbing true story it's based on, Compliance makes for an uncomfortable -- albeit thoroughly compelling -- viewing experience, delivering a prolonged exercise in human torture that conveys the cruelty some are willing to inflict on others for entertainment.
October 28, 2016
This is essential viewing for those who are fascinated by the stupidity of others. I'm quite sure this is not the target audience they had in mind but tough. It's an amazing true story, not because of what happened but because those involved allowed it to happen. As you watch, you get it almost straight away, so why couldn't they.
½ September 29, 2016
Excellent, disturbing, and hard to watch drama/thriller - based on true events. Good stuff - will stick with you.
September 3, 2016
While watching this, i kept uttering "this is stupid. This is stupid". How horrified i was to know that this movie is based on true events; not a one-off incident but 70 multiple occurrences in the US. How sick...and how disappointed i am of human being's intelligence and morality.
August 27, 2016
Law Abiding Citizens!!
August 24, 2016
This movie is fucked up. Even more so is that it is painstakingly accurate to the real events. Anchored by strong performances is a film that is frustrating and humanely disturbing.
August 7, 2016
This movie make you recoil in its demeaning stupidity then you remind yourself its a TRUE Story! on the whole I spend 40 mins yelling at the tv (Netflix rental) on how dimwitted ALL of these people are..least of which of course the victim but still I yell.tell them what just happened. But in all its vulgarity & insane gullibility it really impressed on me how some see authority figures in this case police..it could be any authority..but hit me as to those who do not automatically comply with say a policeman thinking thru their eyes everything they ask legit..that those who question authority might be more realistic as to good/evil & just plain something wrong. It in that respect was one hell of a thinkers movie..but still the lengths of this particular case in COMPLYING was just ridiculous even for the victim im sorry to say.. at a half dozen points u got to say WTF!! LOL I do wish they gave more insight as to how this played for the town..& those involved esp the girl & also the demon on the phone..what happened? I think I saw he was given probation or light sentence. shocker of a film but aggravating
July 18, 2016
It's scary to think the lengths to which we'll go to conform to authority. We're told as kids to obey the law and respect cops. Some cops abuse that power and exploit our fears of repercussions from them. This is the story of a non-police officer, who uses those fears for his own perverted pleasures.

Made all the more horrifying that this is a based on a true story film, in which not much was changed apparently. Yep everything from the striping to the forced oral sex. This film is a stark reminder that there really is evil in the world, and you don't have to go far to find it at times.
April 11, 2016
A disturbing drama, it's a real torture surviving Compliance. A movie that needs to be seen and it will stick with you.
March 4, 2016
Stupid movie and sad that someone would even want to publicize this even if it's a true story
February 7, 2016
Dreama Walker makes the difference.
½ February 1, 2016
It's so easy to talk people into doing horrible things if you just pull the authority card...
January 23, 2016
Not a good date night movie...