Control Room Reviews

Kyle M Super Reviewer
    Feb 24, 2016

Valuable for the authentic interviews it provides & the relatively balanced look at the subject. I liked seeing how the American military man's viewpoint widened over time.

• Oct 18, 2014

Interesting documentary about Al Jazeera. The most interesting information was that both sides dislike them.

• Jul 19, 2014

Captivating and compelling, Control Room feels like the kind of film that's poignant message will remain so for generations to come. I read a review of this, written in 2004, that said the film probably won't be as powerful 10 years from now. Well, it's 10 years from 2004, and I think the film is still incredibly powerful. Director Jehane Noujaim may have just wanted to make a film about Al Jazeera and the western media's assault against it, but really he made a film about war and how we see "the enemy". It's a film about how the media controls the way we receive information. Are we really getting the full story? Is there real, objective journalism? Noujaim might posit that there's not, and that the idea of true objectivity in journalism is an impossibility. I love the honesty and the raw and rough production of this film. It feels incredibly authentic. Even if it's not, during the near 90 minute run time, you believe it is. You are drawn into the lives of these people, and you care about what happens to them. You are outraged alongside of them, and you feel the weight of what is going on. Control Room proves that there are no "clean" wars. There are always civilian casualties. We need journalists to remind us of the civilians casualties and the cost of war, so that we are hesitant to engage in it. So that we can be a country that doesn't rush to war, but only engages in war when absolutely necessary.

• Jul 11, 2014

Exceptional documentary. I can't believe it took me so long to watch it.

Exceptional documentary. I can't believe it took me so long to watch it.

• Alex r Super Reviewer
    Jul 03, 2014

Brilliant documentary that chroniclers the start of the Iraq on the Arab side. With interviews from Al Jazaeera, we get a glimpse into the war that we've never seen, and it's an engaging documentary that shows us something that is captivating in the sense that we get a different look at the war, and the documentary goes in depth on its topic. I'll keep my personal feelings of that war out of this review, but what is presented here can raise questions in viewers. Al Jazeera did not sugar coat the images, and showed the world disturbing images of the conflict that raised many eyebrows. As a documentary, Control Room is a powerful, engaging picture that offers something quite different than what the other news networks has given viewers. This tells the story from the Arab point of view, and it does it very well, and with this film, we get a much more complete picture from both sides of the spectrum of the Iraq War. The film is brilliantly shot with plenty of interviews and war footage to tell its story. Control Room is an important film, a documentary that is well worth your time if you are interested in the subject. Control Room's power is in the way it tackles the subject by documenting it from a different point of view. The film focuses on the new coverage of the war, and it's a captivating look at that, and Al Jazeera is the focal point of the film, but we also have other news agencies documented. However like I said, Al Jazaeera is the main focus and what is presented here is quite interesting, and we get a great portrait from the Arab side as well, which is quite interesting.

• Feb 03, 2014

A useful review of events using a new lens.

A useful review of events using a new lens.

• Mar 26, 2013

Unfortunately true about the USA lie.

Unfortunately true about the USA lie.

• Feb 10, 2013

Una perspectiva de la guerra contra los árabes que mucho debería de ver.

Una perspectiva de la guerra contra los árabes que mucho debería de ver.

• Dec 27, 2012

So when we spread democracy everywhere, are we bringing the 1st amendment along for the ride?

• Dec 07, 2012