Coogan's Bluff Reviews

• 18h ago

Clints worst film in my opinion, spends virtually the entire film trying to get in the girls knickers much to her disapproval the only exciting bit is the motorbike chase towards the end which was a tad boring to be honest, then the girl turns up at the end as coogans on the plane waving like mad, I love Clint but this was dreadful to watch

• Nov 26, 2020

So boring. 'Coogan's Bluff' is a terrible film. Not even Clint Eastwood can elevate it. I'm not necessarily quick to call a film sexist, but this is pretty overtly so; especially at the beginning with women at the end of the 'jokes' - whether it be sexual assault, domestic violence or even rape. Even after all that, you're left with a seriously dull plot. Nothing of note happens for the opening chunk of the film, then when something finally does it fails to build upon it. That's the case for the whole 93 minutes, the only scene I'll remember will be the admittedly good chase scene. Eastwood is fine in the lead role, if a little cringey. His 'duck out of water' schtick gets tiresome, as do the running jokes. I can't think of any of the other performers who stand out... at a push, Lee J. Cobb perhaps? Not recommended.

• Jul 15, 2020

Coogan's Bluff, the cast are really good, the plot is ok, the pacing of the movie isn't the best and some scenes don't fit well next to other upcoming scenes. Also, there's not that many fight scenes throughout this movie and when the fight scenes do happen, they're quite clever and creative with what's around them. Overall, not an amazing movie but not a terrible movie more for it being a decent one.

• Jun 09, 2020

Before there was "Dirty Harry," there was "Coogan's Bluff," one of those movies you watch and then instantly realize why you've never heard of it. This is a brazen, freewheeling time capsule of what you really can't depict in movies anymore. I'd say about 40% of the things the titular character does ages well in a moral and logical sense. And that's probably being generous. It's all a bit more outlandish than it is honestly offensive, as I'm well aware there are exactly zero people using this movie to justify being creepy, throwing female criminals around an apartment or just being an all around piece of garbage. It also doesn't help that the movie's just incredibly slow and boring, with our snarling, antihero-esque protagonist wasting more time wallowing in the film's b-story than actually doing what I thought this movie was going to be about — shooting baddies. I probably should have just watched "Dirty Harry" again instead.

• Mar 31, 2020

It's like Clint Eastwood became a wild west version of James Bond set in 60's New York. He makes out with or sleeps with all of the woman with his irresistible charms, uses sex as a weapon without any regard, but absent the cool gadgets and cars. The motorcycle chase scene is almost like a chase on horseback. No mystery, just Clint chasing down a fugitive.

• Mar 13, 2020

How? How have you a 94% rating on this movie. Even the 51% audience rating is surprisingly high. The movies sets are like something out of season 3 of the original Star Trek series and I don't wish to insult Star Trek by comparing them 🙄

• Dec 23, 2019

It's a Clint Eastwood movie. If you like Clint you'll like it. If you don't you won't.

• Jan 17, 2019

Some movies age well. Some don't. Coogan's bluff clearly belongs to the second category. What might have been supposed to be "cool" in 1968 (or should one say "groovy"?) just looks ridiculous today. Even Clint Eastwood - who is busy during the whole thing banging every woman he meets - can't help it.

• Dec 17, 2018

Coogan's Bluff ranks as one of my favorite Eastwood films. Partly because of the time period & location which the story takes place. It's an excellent period piece. Late 1960's New York city in all it's Glory. I live in NYC and it's was nice to see the Pan Am Building in the backdrop. It's now the Met Life building. The Pan Am building was also the location of the final scene where the helicopter takes off. The other reason I like this movie is that Eastwood is essentially playing Dirty Harry before Dirty Harry. Coogan is just like Harry Calahan without the 44. magnum. The story is solid but it's the locales and the situations that Coogan finds himself in that sell the movie. Who cares of it's dated? Of course it's dated but that's part of the experience. Actually most movies made more than 20 years ago (or less) are dated. If you look at it in the context of the time it was made then you'll enjoy it. Ignore the negative reviews and check it out.

• Sep 24, 2018

Coogan’s Bluff is rooted in a plot device that I tend to enjoy. It’s the story of a police officer from Arizona who comes to the big city to transport a criminal home for trial. It gives the feeling in the opening scenes of the Old West as we see the desert area of Arizona presented like a wild frontier. So when Clint Eastwood’s character came to a modern New York City I expected he was going to bring in his old-fashioned values and tough-as-nails demeanor to clean up the scum of the big city streets and show the cops how it’s done. This is a great storyline that would make him a heroic figure that we could look up to as we are reminded that strong values are timeless and cross all socioeconomic divides. But that’s not what happens in Coogan’s Bluff. Instead Eastwood comes to New York City and is incompetent. He is chastised for standing up for a sexually harassed police officer, he lies in order to get what he wants, and he loses his prisoner after only minutes of taking him into custody. It’s a comedy of failure that is embarrassing and completely undermines the main character. In reality the hero of this film is Lee J. Cobb as the New York police lieutenant. He’s right through the entire movie, and keeps pointing out that Coogan is an idiot who doesn’t deserve a badge. I could not get on board with the protagonist, and I didn’t even mention his womanizing which was one more layer of his unpleasant characterization. I think Coogan’s Bluff fails in almost every way, and left me bored rather than invested in the story.