Cop & 1/2 Reviews

• Aug 26, 2019

Cop and a Half is not good. The actors have a decent dynamic and Henry Winkler is trying his best as a director but this movie is nothing than your generic '90s family comedy about children being placed in an absurd position of power.

• Mar 12, 2017

The "buddy cop" comedies, one of the most overused formulas in modern cinema consisting of an independent non-cooperative cop being forced to partner up and by the end of the film the cop learns the power of teamwork! Now take the cop and pair him up with an elementary school kid and you get one of the most preposterous, unfunny, train wrecks of a movie you will ever see in your entire life called "Cop & 1/2." The plot consists of an 8-year-old boy named Devon Butler (Norman D.Golden II) who dreams of becoming a cop and finally sees his chance to become one after witnessing a murder, and only willing to hand over the information if they make him a cop! And believe it or not, his outrageous demands are granted, as Butler is teamed up with veteran cop Nick McKenna (Burt Reynolds) who of course is rightfully upset with being given an 8-year-old as his partner. Now does any of this seem plausible? The problem with this set-up is that the movie takes place in a real world scenario, which means even though it's a fictional comedy it still has to abide by the rules of the real world. Now with that said we have a police department who allows a kid bribe them into putting him on the force with a grown man he has never met as his partner and is allowed to be put in danger just so the police department can get a statement, and apparently his grandmother (his main guardian) sees no problem with this, in fact, she even allows him to stay over at his adult partners house! And even Reynolds character is ok with it! Never in any genre, setting, etc would this ever be allowed to happen! First of all his grandma would be in trouble with child protective services, the police department would be under investigation, and Reynolds would be accused of being a child molester! That's only the problems I had with the plot! I haven't yet mentioned the complete lack of comedy in this film which is probably because the only gag the screenwriters came up with was to have a cop paired up with a school boy. That's right another film revolving around a single gag kind of like Mr. Magoo but without even the slightest bit of humor. The acting is cheesy; the characters are forgettable and unrealistic, and the production value resembles that of a shitty low budget 90's sitcom. But because it's so ridiculous and also because I'm extremely generous, I will give it 1.5/5 stars for its sheer audacity.

• Oct 14, 2016

Cop and a Half's incompetent characters and ridiculous premise only somewhat amuse me.

• Aug 11, 2016

Kid who is fascinated by police officers gets his chance when he witnesses a crime and partners with grumpy detective Burt Reynolds.

• Jun 28, 2016

Reynolds' stars as disgruntled cop whose new partner is a young kid who dreams of being a cop. It's silly, predictable fun.

• Dec 20, 2015

I have seen many movies about cops and many movies about children, and this movie knows nothing about either subject.

• Aug 10, 2015

Somewhat a guilty pleasure.

Somewhat a guilty pleasure.

• Jul 14, 2015

For what this movie is, it's perfectly fine. It was cute and funny and I liked it. It's nowhere near as bad as the RT percent suggests (17%), or the imdb rating (3.8). It's a kids movie that I enjoyed.

• Apr 08, 2015

Burt Reynolds old fart is really the only thing worth seeing here.

Burt Reynolds old fart is really the only thing worth seeing here.

• Mar 29, 2015