Cruel Intentions - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cruel Intentions Reviews

April 22, 2018
This movie is so quintessentially 90's, down to the taboo love triangle and cheesy plot. if you're looking for something with substance, don't look here. All you're going to find are hot, young actors and exaggerated teen drama. However, the movie has some comedic aspects and doesn't take itself too seriously, which I appreciated. The whole thing felt fluffy and nostalgic, overall I would say it was enjoyable and I think that that was all it intended to be.
½ January 6, 2018
Cruel Intentions is an interesting concept however the execution really lets it down. Two step-siblings (Kathryn and Sebastian) take great joy in seducing as many people as possible, with the sleazy step brother being desperate to sleep with his horrible step sister. He is using an innocent religious girl as a pawn to get what he wants. Kathryn bets Sebastian that he won't be able to bed the girl. If she wins she gets his car and if he wins he gets to sleep with her. This movie almost entirely revolves around sex, and the plot is very fast-moving and shallow.
Reese Witherspoon plays the part of Annette, an abstinent teenager determined to remain a virgin until marriage. She has received fair warning about Sebastian however falls for him anyway. This seems very rushed and out of character for someone so devout.
Sebastian falls in love with Annette, it seems as if this is supposed to evoke some sympathy for Sebastian with the audience however as he was such a horrible person only 2 minutes beforehand it seems like a very fake personality change. He would have been a far more realistic character if this change had been gradual.
Kathryn is a stone cold b**** throughout the length of this movie, her only goal in life to ruin her ex's new girlfriend. She is the puppet master here, constantly egging Sebastian on. She has some interesting lines, not to mention some interesting religious symbolism. I think Sarah Michelle Gellar really carried this movie, she took some supremely cheesy dialogue and was able to give it a more sombre tone.
The final ten minutes are predictable but still captivating to watch, this is where the actors seem to shine most.
Overall I would recommend this movie for an interesting twist on a teen romance but it certainly isn't a masterpiece and is a bit disappointing because so much more could have been done with the idea.
August 30, 2017
More interesting than i expected. At first it seemed like a weird dark comedy but then it got deeper revolving around personal and social issues. A+ acting too, especially from Ryan and Selma.
½ August 10, 2017
Ryan Phillipe and Sarah Michelle-Gellar are fantastic polarizing figures, resulting in a solid drama/comedy with intriguing plot twists and turns.
June 24, 2017
Os problemas de Cruel Intentions começão logo apos o inicio do filme, o nível da trama e incapaz de ocorrer no final do segundo grau, os atores não convencem e os dois argumentos que fazem a historia girar são delicados e se quebram logo depois de propostos, o que parece a final e que a estoria foi criada para construir situações de sexo ou linguagem apelativa com o intuito de atrair o publico através do apelo sexual.
½ May 22, 2017
Totally self-aware of it's presumptuous premise inside a juvenile background, Cruel Intentions context also helps the story to move forward, with an attractive essence between characters, and a silly-yet-enjoyable vision about teenage.
½ May 4, 2017
Although it is well-paced, this movie is downright wicked and disturbs me. None of the characters are likable. I found the story to be appalling and unbelievable. It's a rotten egg! (First and only viewing - Late teen years)
April 30, 2017
Bad acting bad dialog. In what reality are American teens writing each other letters? Archaic out of place useof language. Poor...very poor adeptation of the book.
January 18, 2017
Despite some cliches and a little weak script, Cruel Intentions is a movie with a lot of tension and with a perfectily chosen cast which end could please ones but not anothers. It was good but it could be very better than it was.
December 14, 2016
So amazing. Love this movie. Great casting. Great chemistry.
December 9, 2016
Why critics give it bad reviews is beyond me. It's why you have to be your own critic.
July 13, 2016
Performances from Phillippe, Gellar and Witherspoon make for a great exotic thriller.
½ July 1, 2016
They don't make teen movies like they used to.
June 6, 2016
this movie easily takes romeo & juliet but makes juliet a bad a**
May 31, 2016
Very slick in tone and featuring several future stars in early roles, this self-aware teen comedy about privileged Manhattanites playing games of seduction is very arch, offers a few insights and laughs, but doesn't quite cohere into anything very great at all.
½ May 25, 2016
What a great goddamn movie. I don't know why I never saw this until now. I guess I just had it in my head that it had a completely different vibe than it does. Easily one of my favorites of the 90s, holy shit.
½ May 21, 2016
Sarah M Gellar was sexy in this movie
May 15, 2016
For sure this is my fave teen cult classic film. It has such amazing characters, highlight for Sarah Michelle Gellar's evil bitch Kathryn, and still today it is very quotable.
½ April 30, 2016
The resolution is not as interesting as the rest of the film, but I must say everything leading up to that point is pretty damn entertaining despite some trite dialogue. It has such an attractive cast (Sarah Michelle Geller and Selma Blair made me want to jizz all over my pants), and the game these characters play is thrilling and god damn sexy. Cruel Intentions is pretty good fun.
½ April 22, 2016
The definition of a guilty pleasure movie, especially around the time it came out. So bad, but so good, especially if you like the topic.