Dante's Peak Reviews

• 1d ago

Dantes Peak - 8/10. The 90s were a decade of VFX advancements that allowed directors to explore stories with huge set pieces. Director Roger Donaldson, best known for films like Species and The Bank Job, directed one of the two big volcano disaster films in the year 1997 (the other film being the Mick Jackson directed film, Volcano). Unlike its counterpart, Dante's Peak revolves around a plausible situation of a dormant volcano becoming reactive. Though a decent hit during its initial release, Dante's Peak has gained a deserving cult status as a high octane and non stop action paced film. Starring two of the most popular stars from the 90's (Pierce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton), the movie doesn't try to be something more than a disaster movie. Its focus is to entertain and create a spectacle, which it does really well. The set pieces in this film are grand and really effective. Considering the small town that the film is situated in, it really works in showcasing how the huge volcano literally is just able to wipe out the town like its nothing. The river full of debris, the road cut off by the lava stream, and the rushing dust cloud are just prime examples of the director utilizing the visual FX to the limit to create the magnitude of the situation. And cinematographer Andrzej Bartkowiak does a brilliant job of creating the visual palette of the firey reckage against the quaint greenery of the small town in the forrest. An excellent disaster film and quintessential 90s action film, definitely a movie you must check out.

• 1d ago

Unintentionally hilarious movie! The characters make one stupid choice after the another! The dialogues are beyond ridiculous!

• Apr 29, 2021

The special effects are devastatingly good. Far superior to Volcano.

The special effects are devastatingly good. Far superior to Volcano.

• Apr 28, 2021

I'm a fan of disaster movies and this one about a small mountain town called Dante's Peak mayored by Linda Hamilton, is the setting of an impending eruption of the long dormant volcano. Pierce Brosnan plays the volcanologist to check out elevated readings in the area. I really enjoyed the story of this as well as the building up to the inevitable destruction to come. Sure there are a few annoying characters but this is still one of my favourite disaster flicks. Great effects and tension make for a fun thrill ride.

• Apr 23, 2021

This volcano flick’s corny melodrama and beyond ridiculous scenarios (kids driving up the mountain to rescue grandma??) are barely saved by its tight paced action sequences and some of the most realistic special effects ever seen in a disaster movie. If anything, it’s an explosive feast for the eyes.

• Mar 16, 2021

my guilty pleasure are disaster movies. so this movie is at the top of my list for favorite disaster movie. I love the character's, sure people doubt the scientist even his boss. but the mayor believes in him, she really wants what's best for the town. the destruction is beautifully done as the volcano erupts. some of the best building destruction scenes in any disaster flick.

• Dec 30, 2020

I liked it, isn't that what really matters? Catastrophe movies aren't for everyone.

• Oct 27, 2020

Nothing really stands out in this hackneyed "boy who cried wolf" blockbuster disaster movie, a genre that became very popular in the 90s.

• Sep 07, 2020

So I am rewatching this in 2020 and it just does not make sense. They all should have suffocated since driving over lava... sigh. The 90s sure tested our intelligence back then. Where's Remington Steele when you need him most...

• Aug 19, 2020

Dante's Peak is pretty ridiculous but mildly entertaining and Pierce Brosnan does a good job. The main character was the only decent character and most of the other actors didn't perform anywhere near as well as Pierce. The writing is rather stupid with the moronic boss, the grandma killing herself to drag a boat 2 metres, etc. Furthermore, there's an obvious lack of realism like driving a car over an extremely hot substance, lava bursting through grandma's house, and not getting burns from wrapping your hand in clothing before sticking it into boiling hot water. However, the soundtrack was pretty good, and the cinematography was decent. The visual effects are a bit dated now although the smoke effects still hold up. If you keep your mind switched off a bit, then Dante's Peak is somewhat entertaining, especially in first half as the writing is less ridiculous.