Dark Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Shadows Reviews

April 15, 2018
I personally enjoyed this movie and remember watching it with my sister and mother, I understand that some people saw the big names and expected more, but for me it bring me back to a happier time in my life
April 10, 2018
Tim Burton evokes the atmosphere and melodrama of the classic Dan Curtis television soap opera, all the while injecting it with subtle and wry Burtonian humour at almost every turn. Johnny Depp, as always, is interesting to watch and listen to. At first he had me thinking that he might have 'mailed it in' with this performance. However, he methodically and eventually won me over soon enough. I believe that he incorporated attributes of the previous Barnabas's -- Jonathan Frid from the aforementioned original and Ben Cross from the '90s revival -- into his repertoire here, and I also started hearing some Trevor Howard (English actor of the 1930s-'80s) in his speech. Of course, there's also a nice quirky assemblage of supporting characters...and I would like to have seen more of some of them. Regrettably, as has essentially become ubiquitous with the mainstream big budget movies of our day, this one chooses to push the ole' envelope at the end and unnecessarily goes a tad too far in the film's final act. Finally, a plentitude of well-placed period music adds to the proceedings.
½ April 6, 2018
This is disgusting. A ruined story that really did have potential, but fell short of even being watchable. Painfully sad that they didn't do something good with it.
December 18, 2017
It may not be Tim Burton's or Johnny Depp's best movie but it was still a good one, somewhat funny yet entertaining as always. I wasn't disappointed maybe because I wasn't expecting much because of the critics. Holy fuck, I re-watched it but I had no idea! At any moment...
December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

A Dark Shadows lo que le faltó fue precisamente eso - oscuridad, ya que parece hecha solo para atraer público adolescente. Si bien es notoria la calidad de la dirección de Tim Burton y de la dirección artística, incluyendo un excelente trabajo tanto de vestuario como de maquillaje; lo que nos ofrece esta película es un conjunto de ingeniosos personajes que como un todo no funcionaron exitosamente envueltos en una trama que se va tornando, conforme avance la película, mas absurda. En resumen es como que te sirvan un plato muy bien presentable pero sin buen sabor.
½ December 11, 2017
Things start out pretty interesting, with a typical Burtonesque backstory and pretty opening credits. There is also nothing wrong with the cast or the neat production design, especially in the lovely fishing town. It is the script that leaves the audience hanging a couple of times. While some scenes are amusing, others feel pointless and dragged out. There was potential for something along the lines of Addams Family, but overall it's a little....toothless. Pun intended.
½ November 25, 2017
When what places we come from not others can see what we see in high places. When what we place, so too others place when it's a life & settlement. When what we have placed in our heart, others don't find in there's when they made room for others they wish to place their heart with. When what we replace instead of love is hate others see revenge. When what can't be replaced we see we join, to see we found a new place among the dead & living when we are cursed. What place we no longer have for we show them out, when there is no place for those who are in low places. When there is a place elsewhere when we are kept in places where others know we will right be for the right time others return. When others come from other places to see they are out of place to know some places are different. When someplaces remain still & preserved through time. When we see we know our place in a time that is changing, to see others rather be in other places then here.

When what we place is only what place and time we come from to not know the times have changed. When we know everyplace in our own place to know which places holds everything to go back and rebuild our place.

When others have remained in such places for long, to be in higher places now. When what is no longer in the same place we see we know the other place they will be to make a new place for those in our dark heart for them. When what returns shows those their new place when others are more powerful. When places others hold is loyalty when such parts can be undermining. When what others place is love in strange places that we need to adapt to regain such places again. When others are in wrong places with the wrong person can be treacherous. When what others see are out of place we see they are in a different place & time. When some places we place ourself is among our family name. When what stands in our place we must remove when they don't want to places themselves with us. When what we feel out of place we are not when someplaces are meant for people like us to stay. When someplaces draws us to the place that love tries to bring together.
½ November 16, 2017
You can be anything but uninteresting.
There's a sweet pleasure to watching a movie that's a total mess but is at least ambitious.
Dark Shadows is neither entertaining nor ambitious.
½ September 4, 2017
Liked the special effects and details to different times.
½ August 13, 2017
The funny parts were in the previews.
½ August 1, 2017
Johnny Deep was pretty funny and Eva Green was smoking hot, but the film wasn't that great.
July 30, 2017
For all its goofy-seriousness, randomness, and unnecessary borderline R sexual content it still manages to entertain. I can see the wasted potential of solid characters forced to act stiff in their roles and are somewhat obfuscated to the audience to keep them distant lest they form any real attachment or relation to them. Nevertheless, it's still a fun movie to just watch with friends and family.
July 28, 2017
Dull, uninspired work from Tim Burton, continuing a more lackluster era of his career. Burton sleepwalks through his typical directorial tropes - gothic atmosphere, kooky characters caked in makeup, an ensemble of eccentric characters - while not showing any signs of a strong connection to the material he's adapting. Unsure of whether it wants to be horror, comedy, drama, or some sort of mix of two or all three, we slog through this inconsistent, unengaging narrative, packed with jokes that rarely land. Johnny Depp, once again buddying up with Burton, plays up his usual shtick, and eight collaborations with Burton into his career, this same wide-eyed quirkiness has become stale. The whole cast, in fact, is given nothing great to do: Burton's other go-to actor Helena Bonham Carter is bland, Chloe Grace Moretz is horrendously monotone (whether her angst-ridden teen role calls for it or not), and Michelle Pfeiffer's talent is wasted. The one standout is Eva Green, camping it up as a charismatic antagonist, the sole source of energy injected into a film that's otherwise dead on arrival. With her icy blue eyes and her wide smile, she's the kind of artistic muse right up Burton's alley: that is, old-school Burton's alley. The Tim Burton we know and love that actually cares about his craft.
½ July 18, 2017
A film that's all over the place, going from horror to sex comedy and just about everything inbetween, but despite featuring vampires, witches and more it mostly settles into a drama about rivalry over a fishing(!) business. This means it is endlessly inventive, the visuals even more so, and because it doesn't take itself seriously it can be entertaining, aided by the cast who are clearly enjoying themselves, but its chimeric nature means it's hard to get a grip on it and get into it. The threads don't come together very satisfactorily and Dark Shadows ends up being less than the sum of its parts.
June 4, 2017
Sensacional! Com um toque trash, um competente elenco e direção de arte excelente Sombras da Noite se sai como mais um exemplar de boa produção, feita pela dupla Tim Burton-Johnny Depp.
March 19, 2017
i'm kind of surprised at the rating this got here on RT. i haven't been too fond of any of Burton's recent work but i actually liked this one a lot!
March 10, 2017
very good indeed!! love tim burton movies. great music too johnny depp was wonderful & michelle pfeiffer also.. I enjoyed:):)
February 12, 2017
My runner-up (2nd fave) movie. I thought that this was funny, charming, thrilling, and exciting, as opposed to the TV show, which I got bored with after 2 seconds of watching. I'm starting to wonder if that's because this is nothing even close to the TV show. But it's still a good movie though.
January 11, 2017
The acting was brilliant, so too was the direction and the cinematography - the plot was lacking however
January 6, 2017
Yet another Burton-Depp-BonhamCarter collaboration. This one is mildly decent at best with Depp playing the role of a vampire well enough I suppose. Eva Green is smoldering hot as a blondie, bit odd with an American accent though. It's not a movie that has any lasting power that much is for sure, too kooky for my taste.