Dark Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Shadows Reviews

July 28, 2017
Dull, uninspired work from Tim Burton, continuing a more lackluster era of his career. Burton sleepwalks through his typical directorial tropes - gothic atmosphere, kooky characters caked in makeup, an ensemble of eccentric characters - while not showing any signs of a strong connection to the material he's adapting. Unsure of whether it wants to be horror, comedy, drama, or some sort of mix of two or all three, we slog through this inconsistent, unengaging narrative, packed with jokes that rarely land. Johnny Depp, once again buddying up with Burton, plays up his usual shtick, and eight collaborations with Burton into his career, this same wide-eyed quirkiness has become stale. The whole cast, in fact, is given nothing great to do: Burton's other go-to actor Helena Bonham Carter is bland, Chloe Grace Moretz is horrendously monotone (whether her angst-ridden teen role calls for it or not), and Michelle Pfeiffer's talent is wasted. The one standout is Eva Green, camping it up as a charismatic antagonist, the sole source of energy injected into a film that's otherwise dead on arrival. With her icy blue eyes and her wide smile, she's the kind of artistic muse right up Burton's alley: that is, old-school Burton's alley. The Tim Burton we know and love that actually cares about his craft.
½ July 18, 2017
A film that's all over the place, going from horror to sex comedy and just about everything inbetween, but despite featuring vampires, witches and more it mostly settles into a drama about rivalry over a fishing(!) business. This means it is endlessly inventive, the visuals even more so, and because it doesn't take itself seriously it can be entertaining, aided by the cast who are clearly enjoying themselves, but its chimeric nature means it's hard to get a grip on it and get into it. The threads don't come together very satisfactorily and Dark Shadows ends up being less than the sum of its parts.
June 4, 2017
Sensacional! Com um toque trash, um competente elenco e direção de arte excelente Sombras da Noite se sai como mais um exemplar de boa produção, feita pela dupla Tim Burton-Johnny Depp.
March 19, 2017
i'm kind of surprised at the rating this got here on RT. i haven't been too fond of any of Burton's recent work but i actually liked this one a lot!
March 10, 2017
very good indeed!! love tim burton movies. great music too johnny depp was wonderful & michelle pfeiffer also.. I enjoyed:):)
February 12, 2017
My runner-up (2nd fave) movie. I thought that this was funny, charming, thrilling, and exciting, as opposed to the TV show, which I got bored with after 2 seconds of watching. I'm starting to wonder if that's because this is nothing even close to the TV show. But it's still a good movie though.
January 11, 2017
The acting was brilliant, so too was the direction and the cinematography - the plot was lacking however
January 6, 2017
Yet another Burton-Depp-BonhamCarter collaboration. This one is mildly decent at best with Depp playing the role of a vampire well enough I suppose. Eva Green is smoldering hot as a blondie, bit odd with an American accent though. It's not a movie that has any lasting power that much is for sure, too kooky for my taste.
January 5, 2017
The scariest bit is the hint at the finale that there may be a sequel to this Tim Burton uninspired, unfunny and unexciting horror comedy.
½ December 31, 2016
Tim Burton is an absolute mastermind.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 28, 2016
fun movie, funny and dark. (2 viewings)
½ December 28, 2016
The film goes worse after the second half but the first half is quite interesting.
½ December 25, 2016
Love theme, story, but execution falls flat
December 15, 2016
The first half of this movie actually kept me interested but it becomes stale quick towards the end. Over dripping with plot twists and effects. It's hard to watch from where the pair came from. I don't get how he directed and edited the end of the movie and said ok I'm satisfied with this. Cmon man!

Anyways the film has some high points because Depp is just so good at making you glued to him as a an actor. However, this could have been so much better Burton had all the tools he just used them with no regard to the final cut.
½ November 21, 2016
Probably The worst vampire movie ever made.
½ November 1, 2016
This was better than it looked but that's not saying too much. Basically Dark Shadows is just uneven across the board, in tone, pacing, and humor. The acting is actually pretty solid though, which is what keeps it afloat. Honestly, it's the type of movie I might have appreciated as a teenager for its style and lightheartedness. But since I am older and wiser, I see it as the type of film that's been done so many times there's really nothing to come back to.
½ October 31, 2016
Enjoyable soap opera of a movie. I know it did not get great reviews but I found it highly enjoyable and entertaining. Yes, it dips in the middle but again, it's predictable and funny.
October 31, 2016
Really good movie. Jonny Depp is hot as a vampire
½ October 23, 2016
it's was ok buut I still enjoyed it overall