Dark Skies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Skies Reviews

½ October 10, 2016
Creepy! Better than expected. The twist at the end was expected.
½ October 4, 2016
This is the worst horror movie I've ever seen. The only reason it gets the half star I gave it is because the premise could have been cool if executed better. The special effects were terrible and the parts that were supposed to creep you out left me and my brother just laughing our heads off because of the poor filmmaking. (Ouija: Origin of Evil): Girl without pupils with her mouth stretched open beyond what a typical human can = creepy. (Dark Skies): a man standing out on the porch with his mouth hanging open = hilarious.
September 21, 2016
An alien abduction movie that delivers the scares but does it like its very careful to not go too extreme or too violent, which in this case is kinda of a weak point and a strong suit. The silence that the film gives to create a creepy atmosphere plays well to the story but doesn't guarantee scares. At the end, the film leaves more to be deserved and leaves you wanting more when you realize later that its all the director/writer is able to give without looking too silly or unbelievable. I found it entertaining but only to a point where I wanted to see more Alien scares, more creepy and chilling events, and more twist along the way. "C+" is my final grade as it may be lesser than what films like The Fourth Kind brings, which that statement in itself is sad.
½ August 31, 2016
Decent acting, but the plot follows every sci-fi horror movie trope in the book. It tries to make you feel like you don't know what's coming, but ends up being trite and expected every step of the way. Not worth the time.
August 20, 2016
As husband and wife Daniel and Lacey Barret witness an escalating series of disturbing events involving their family, their safe and peaceful home quickly unravels. When it becomes clear that the Barret family is being targeted by an unimaginably terrifying and deadly force, Daniel and Lacey take matters in their own hands to solve the mystery of what is after their family.
½ August 16, 2016
Best comedy of 2013. Never laughed this hard at a movie in a long time.
½ August 5, 2016
Dark skies is a movie with a terrible and corny script, a stupid plot, and god awful acting.
July 26, 2016
Imagine every single horror cliche you can think of, then you have Dark Skies.
July 15, 2016
An average horror movie that manages to build an effective mystery and tension for the most part of it, even if it doesn't offer anything original about abduction phenomenon that we haven't seen before in better works - say, The X-Files. Still, the end is satisfying.
July 12, 2016
Probably shouldn't have been titled Dark Skies. Tries to sell you on the Paranormal Activity ghost/demon concept, but you are already certain of what the negative force is because of the name, so the twist is a zero sum.
½ June 11, 2016
Time for a confession: aliens scare the crap out of me. Creatures that may or may not exist (both possibilities equally plausible) with methods, mean, and intentions well outside the spectrum of our understanding. So much potential for a horror movie here, and in some ways Dark Skies succeeds; in others, well....
The fundamental problem with Dark Skies cannot be ignored so I'll just get it out of the way: this is essentially another Blumhouse supernatural horror film, but rather than ghosts this time it's aliens. It follows all the supernatural horror clichés like a roadmap, and while I love supernatural horror films, seeing them so shamelessly followed in this wasted potential has finally led me to realize I'm kind of getting sick of them. Seemingly happy family, troubled older child, younger child with a strange connection to the ghosts aliens, weird s*** around the house that escalates, they go to see an expert on the subject who's played by an older and well-respected actor (hey there J.K. Simmons!), and those f***ing dream sequences!
To be fair there are a lot of things to like in this movie. It builds a healthy amount of tension and takes it's time to actually show you anything, which builds a sense of dread throughout; the performances are universally excellent even from the kids; there's some genuinely creepy lines to make your skin crawl delivered by J.K. Simmons; and I really liked the message of family. The message is noteworthy because often the best horror films have some other theme at their core. This is not one of the best horror films by far, but I did like that it used the aliens more as a template for anything that could tear this family apart and how to defeat them they needed to band together.
The problem is I just can't help seeing the wasted potential here. There's so much you could do with an alien horror film, and instead we get the most generic overdone horror clichés out there. I don't regret watching it, there was enough cool stuff in it to make it worthwhile and a couple genuine scares. But the wasted potential and those godamn motherf***ing dream sequences really grated on me. Stepping back though, for what it is, it's fine, just nothing special.
May 25, 2016
Must see movie. This movie is very deep and deserve way more
May 17, 2016
The acting is amazing. The beginning is great.
½ April 22, 2016
3.5/5 Not sure why this is so underrated. Yes, it may be pretty cliche at times but Dark Skies offers some genuinely unnerving ideas along with solid direction and some amazing performances. Aliens are spooky, man.
March 27, 2016
La pelicula es sensacional, me encanta no tiene grandes efectos pero hace que a pesar del bajo presupuesto se las ingenie para jugar con luces, sonido, ambiente equiparen una produccion bien realizada, soy un fanatico de lo paranormal y esta pelicula no decepciona en lo absoluto es mas te hace pensar que es un trama tan real que puede estar ocurriendo en tiempo real, recomiendo esta película para los amantes de la ciencia ficción y sobre todo de los alienigenas.
½ March 25, 2016
Why have I not watched this before.
½ March 13, 2016
Vi somente o terço final, filme com uma abordagem interessante para o tema.
½ March 12, 2016
Basically Signs but with more emphasis on jump scares, Dark skies has an appropriately dark tone but ultimately fails to do anything cool or interesting to set itself apart from superior thrillers.
½ February 13, 2016
There were parts in the movie that kept me watching in hopes it would build on itself. Sadly I was very underwhelmed with the plot and frankly found it boring as a whole.