Dark Skies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Skies Reviews

November 11, 2017
Heed the reviews, avoid. basic and plotless, then end of the film should be the start, left with no conclusion
October 13, 2017
interestingly predictable
½ September 26, 2017
A dark force from out of the world!

It was one of the long due film, despite releasing just 4 years ago. Those who saw it said me not to miss it. But they also warned me it was a common horror theme with a slight change in the storyline. Since horror is the least average rated genre in my collection, I was not expecting it to be a masterpiece. That could be another reason why I liked it. Yeah, the same old blueprint horror flick, even though it was not as bad as what some people are saying. Except the opening quote reveals most of the film's twist. And the twist at the end was not actually a twist if a person knew it before.

A small family struggling with finances, lately witnessing some strange events in the house. But once it takes a serious turn, now they must find a solution for it, or else the unity might fall apart. After getting some idea of everything happening, they meet an expert and gain some important inputs. Now their fightback begins, the challenge they are about to face going to decide the future of the family. Their plan and its execution, the remaining film is to tell us what happens to them.

The JK Simmon's role was one of the most overused roles is horror films. I did not like that, but I liked his appearance. It is also an open end if this film gets a sequel. Like usual when a family struggling, people around them going blind were a cliché. Yeah, I know horror films can't get out of such thing. It's very rare to see a film out of these platforms. Yet it was an okay film, if you prefer a decent entertainment over an experimental film, which is not guaranteed entertainment. But usually it is an enjoyable flick by most of the people. Despite familiarity, one would have a nice time with it.

7/10
August 6, 2017
This was better than I expected. Its mix of genres...a twist on the Alien invasion idea with a sprinkle of ghostly supernatural goings on. It borrows heavily from other films and their techiniques - namely Poltergiest and Paranormal Activity..adding very little unique material other than its main premis. It really shouldn't work, but for some reason it does.
I found there where some genuine chills to be had in places, and it keep me watching intently all the way through. It does rely on loud sounds to create the jump scares, but these are few and far between. The format seemed to be a carbon copy of 'Sinister' (also from these producers)...but where I felt that film didn't really hit home, this definitely did. The film never shows more than it needs to...keeping the malevolent forces a mystery for the most part. What you dont see is always scarier than that which is layed out in front of you.
I was a little dissapointed in the ending, as there was potential to go for so much more...but I would still recommend this to anyone looking to be creeped out. Decent performances from the cast and a nice idea. Defintely watchable.
April 3, 2017
Was surprised at how good this was. Genuinely creepy and was fun. I definitely got goosebumps. I recommend for someone who likes mystery thrillers!
½ April 2, 2017
Swing! And a huge miss this movie tried to hard to pay omage to classics like close encounters of a third kind.
February 20, 2017
The potential behind Dark Skies is huge, but without the proper writing or an actual engaging direction the movie goes nowhere, as it takes a premise that has already been explored in many other films, most notably , Signs.
½ February 17, 2017
Super creepy! Really fun alien movie.
½ February 11, 2017
A decent paranormal/ supernatural film with the odd jump scare. Great usage of sound design which leaves you on the edge of your seat, with a decent twist at the end.
February 3, 2017
I think I'm being generous by giving this one two stars. It was borderline boring. The premise was good idea, but the execution didn't quite make it. This film is listed in three categories. The last being horror...Mystery and suspense maybe, but the only horror about this movie was the movie itself. Horrible...
December 4, 2016
While the story has some interesting ideas, too much simply rehashes older alien tales, and the script doesn't seem to know exactly what it wants to do or where to go. [C-]
December 3, 2016
I don't understand all the hate...boring, dull? The movie was not a masterpiece but it was chilling and entertaining. For the budget it was done very well. Makes you think about possibilities if you have a open mind, unlike some film snob loser who never made a real movie in the first place
November 25, 2016
An average horror movie that manages to build an effective mystery and tension better than anyone would expect, even if it doesn't offer anything original about abduction phenomenon that we haven't seen before in better works - say, The X-Files. Still, I find the ending satisfying.
November 19, 2016
Saw all of this producer's other movies and they sucked, why stop now?
½ November 11, 2016
I'm really surprised at the low ratings for this one. The character development for a scary movie was way better than most I've seen from this genre. Also, the creepiness factor was at least an 8/9. I was pleased with this one.
½ October 30, 2016
It's starts out very average, and not ncessarily entertaining, but it later becomes an intriguing horror/sci-fi movie, which is actually pretty tense, creepy and uses a lot of shadows or darkness in the environment. It's nothing new, but it's a pretty satisfying film, and has a very disturbing ending, I'm surprised why this film didn't perform better at the box office. Recommended !!
October 27, 2016
This by and large struck me as a "what if" movie that shares its reality in an honest, intelligent way. As opposed to pandering, taking cop-out shortcuts and the like.
½ October 27, 2016
Entertaining... But not worth investing of your time
½ October 10, 2016
Creepy! Better than expected. The twist at the end was expected.
½ October 4, 2016
This is the worst horror movie I've ever seen. The only reason it gets the half star I gave it is because the premise could have been cool if executed better. The special effects were terrible and the parts that were supposed to creep you out left me and my brother just laughing our heads off because of the poor filmmaking. (Ouija: Origin of Evil): Girl without pupils with her mouth stretched open beyond what a typical human can = creepy. (Dark Skies): a man standing out on the porch with his mouth hanging open = hilarious.