The Darwin Awards - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Darwin Awards Reviews

½ August 18, 2015
An entertaining and fun movie to watch with stupid deaths
April 13, 2015
One thing i love is..this is almost a reunion of Winona Ryder and Lukas Haas..should be..wish to see them in one scene!
½ January 20, 2015
Comedia ligera para el lucimiento de Finnes y mi adorada Winona Ryder, pelicula mas cercana a un telefim con muchos cameos incluidos del grupo Metallica.
November 26, 2014
Fiennes and Ryder come into contact with numerous cameos on a "10,000 Ways to Die" road trip. Not especially funny, but I liked seeing familiar actors. Even the Mythbusters are in a scene.
½ October 16, 2014
There's a kernel of potential quality contained somewhere in the screenplay; the rocket car and Metallica concert segments play out reasonably well. But Taylor's direction everywhere else is beyond incompetent, especially in any scene involving Fiennes, who himself puts in a god-awful performance. I've been curious about this movie for a while now, and only really watched it to answer the question, "How does one make a movie out of the Darwin Awards?" The answer is one probably shouldn't.
½ March 18, 2014
I would of preferred a long documentary about The Darwin Awards then watch this poor excuse for a comedy.
½ September 29, 2013
Although I've read the book, and loved it, I felt this movie was weak and poorly adapted. It follows a somewhat clumsy criminal profiler, obsessed with The Darwin Awards, who after letting a serial killer lose, gets fired and ends up working as an insurance investigator. He goes on investigating such cases of "stupid accidents", many of which are from the book, all the while being followed by a film school grad who is filming a documentary.

Although I liked many of the reenacted stories from the book, the rest of the plot, which dealt with out lead characters, was mostly dull and boring. Actually, I find that whole portion of the plot useless.

Instead, the book and the numerous cases within it, could have easily been made into an anthology movie, made up of small portions related to an individual case, with different directors, and still incorporating the various cameos which were present in this movie.

Apart from seeing the always lovely Winona Ryder, and a few cases from the book, I wasn't satisfied much with this film. Though it is very mediocre, I recommend it to anyone who isn't familiar with the book, or it's website. Maybe this film would introduce a lot of people to the morbidly hilarious world of stupid accidents and strange deaths.
½ September 1, 2013
When the main characters speak in cliches, all the supporting characters are unlikeable, most of the movie is vignettes that you could see on reruns of 1000 Ways to Die, and the movie still tries adding in a love plot, you get the the unwatchable movie that is the Darwin Awards.
May 24, 2013
Starts out slow, but once Winona appears she really carries the film, and the situations start to become hilarious.
May 24, 2013
87%
"Manipulator, interferer, why don't you just sell out and move to Hollywood right now!"-Michael Burrows (Joseph Fiennes)

Loads of cameos and bit parts of people you'll recognize. I liked how director Taylor played off of Metallica's singer, James Hetfield's burn accident.

"You are one of those sorry ass Darwin cases."-Siri Tyler (Winona Ryder)
½ May 23, 2013
Quirky and off-the-wall, "The Darwin Awards" provides an excellent excuse to watch people die from their own stupidity. The documentary style works well for this film, particularly as the cameraman becomes a comedic device by refusing to help in desperate circumstances to preserve the impartiality of the film. The characters are well-written. The only problem with the film is that it is a bit absurd, but it is good for what it is. Joseph Fiennes was a great choice for the lead role, emotionally detached and always deadpan. Winona Ryder also has a nice performance as the sidekick. The transitions to the Darwin Award winners are a bit abrupt but I like the way that they incorporated them into this adventure. Although I wouldn't place this in one of my top 25 comedy films, "The Darwin Awards" is good for a few laughs, a very awkward shower scene (not as bad as it sounds), and several shakes of the head as we are reminded of the stupidity within our society.
April 24, 2013
I love this movie. Anything is good when they have one-liners like "I could ram a spork up your ass."
½ January 19, 2013
And overlooked gem. Clever and interesting, and Winona Ryder is gorgeous in it.
January 12, 2013
Its a watch, stupid people probably wont like it, its directed at them.
December 25, 2012
Funny, quirky and sometimes even a bit cynical. I like the whole overall idea of the movie, and the fact that it's based on the infamous Darwin Awards. Considerably amusing.
December 21, 2012
To be clear: if you decide to watch this film, do not expect a kind of serious comedy, because you are not going to. The best point of success of this movie, in my opinion, is that it manage to generate laughs with simple situations taken to the extreme point of where human stupidity can carry them. No vulgarities, simple trama and many hilarious stories to be told. That's it.
½ December 9, 2012
to screwy to continue watching after 7 mins- i think with instant watching these days Im more apt after 31 years to know if i can sit through a movie or not...this was a not.
December 8, 2012
Ikke en film der udmærker sig til at gå over i filmhistorien, men ganske sød og skuespillet, historien og fortællerformen virker 100% til at effektuere ideen bag filmen. Når den ikke får mere så er det pga. at ideen bag filmen aldrig kan blive til mere end en meget sød hyggestund.

Not a movie that stands sufficiently out to make it to moviehistory, but a sweet movie nonetheless with an acting, storyline and storytelling method that effectuates the idea behind the movie a 100% perfect. When it doesn't get more stars it's because the idea behind the movie will never be able to suffice for more than as a sweet cozy evening.
December 7, 2012
This was decent, nothing extraordinary.
½ November 8, 2012
This was quite funny, I was skeptical before watching it but it actually turned out very good. Plus it has Winona Ryder.