Day of the Falcon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

December 18, 2015
Beautifully put together.
Harlequin68
½ May 21, 2015
In "Day of the Falcon," Thurkette(Corey Johnson), an oil company scout, finds oil in the otherwise barren Arabian Desert. That comes as news to Emir Nesib(Antonio Banderas) who at first does not see what the big deal is. But once he does see the possibilities for modernization, he comes around. The only problem is the oil is in a no-man's land that Nesib agreed with Sultan Amar(Mark Strong) not to go near some years before.

As historical fiction, "Day of the Falcon" fares pretty well in displaying an example of nation building with the help of a neat montage while also demonstrating how true it is that any new technology is applied first towards military and sex. But as drama, not so much. Not only is the movie heavily contrived but it seeks to use paper thin characters to desperately search for a middle way between rampant materialism and fanatic beliefs. It's sad because there might be a fourth way in taking a more environmental stance. When Nesib says all he needs is the air and the sun, he does have a point.
April 21, 2015
Despite bad reviews, we really enjoyed this movie. It was a reminder of Lawrence of Arabia.
April 29, 2014
Annaud wanted to tell a story which had the reminiscence from Lawrence of Arabia... and for God sake he got it.
April 19, 2014
Not sure why the critics were so rough on this film. There were some issues, but I found the movie entertaining and the characters interesting, and even endearing.
April 19, 2014
Again, can't believe how such a good movie is so underated! This movie is so good that I had to buy another disc when my first one stoped broken at half the movie. It has action, love, tension and you really get to care for the characters. All of these in the middle of the desert. This movie is far better than some bigger millionaire productions.
January 8, 2014
I am not sure why so many did not like it. I enjoyed it, and want to see it again.
December 29, 2013
WTF. why does this movie have such a low score? Maybe it was a bad time for a movie to come out about people in the middle east. i thought the movie was great from beginning to end. the first half is an intense political drama, somewhat like a brit period piece about feuding royal families. the second half is a wartime action/drama. The only legit criticism may be around the casting of European actors in 2 out of the 3 main roles. If the movie was about frictional Arabic leaders you think casting could have found at least 2 leading men that could pass for Arabic descent. However, Banderas and Strong did fantastic jobs.
November 30, 2013
what an awesome movie. really long, 2 hours and 10 minutes. But a great movie of borders and kings and anger, revenge and scacrify to the very end. where brothers killed without remorse and fathers lost children in battles. the movie is done in the Sahara desert. a must see.
October 18, 2013
Not great, not horrible. I can't say it is a must see, but it will entertain. Those that gave the rave reviews must really love "the boy that becomes a hero" theme, despite a lack of deep character development that one would want from a movie like this. Mark Strong was good, as usual, though...
½ October 11, 2013
This movie is entertaining enough, but the story is a little weak. The strength of the actors definitely kept this from plodding into a boring story that you won't care about.
September 25, 2013
produced by an arab, interesting insights.
September 18, 2013
Great production and story in the style of Lawrence of Arabia.
5 stars no Doubt!
September 18, 2013
brilliant - how people can't like it beats me - not tedious at all - cunning politics - beautiful desert (been there so I feel its soul) - Arab horse and ancient Arabian town - now I'm going to check out the history seems I missed something out of my history studies -don't we always?
½ September 14, 2013
Though I felt the direction was a bit uneven, I found this film to be interesting and entertaining. It had a few cliches, but well used to give an interesting story aided with strong performances.
There are really valid points behind every character's actions, so it is an interesting conflict to watch: you could say whatever wrongs they do, they do for the right reasons, within their perspective.
September 7, 2013
Amazing... Amazing... =D !!! Best Movie
September 1, 2013
This movie is great !!! It's about True Values, Faith, War, Love, Money and God. You will learn 3 things viewing it... What Arabia was before Oil.. How Oil came and how the US made it happen, and finally you'll learn Great lessons about the Holy Qur'an.
July 28, 2013
This movie was excellent. A true jewel in what otherwise amounts to a industry that has been spewing waste for years. The fact that Rotten Tomatoes rated it so poorly suggests that the jury is rigged. Watch this movie and you'll agree. I would rate it a 97% fresh tomato.
July 17, 2013
Guzel bir col filmi, petrolun arap yarimadasina gelisi,yeni duzen, cikar kavgalari vs