Daybreakers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Daybreakers Reviews

September 20, 2017
had some fun ideas, but its very formulaic and predictable. a carbon copy of other bland films
½ September 17, 2017
Just an OK take on vampirism. The baptism by sunlight seems a bit silly given the hard science take the rest of the movie rides on
½ August 19, 2017
(First and only viewing - 6/13/2017)
½ August 18, 2017
Daybreakers is directed and written by Michael and Peter Spierig, and it stars Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, Claudia Karvan, and Sam Neill in a science fiction horror film about a futuristic world filled with vampires, and with the humans almost going extinct, the scientists are trying to find a blood substitution so that the humans won't go extinct, and the vampires would be able to live their lives. When I saw this in Family Video, I immediately remember a memory of mine that this was actually one of my best friend's favorites, and I haven't seen this movie in years. So with this, I can say that this is one of the best vampire films that I've seen, even though it's not saying much with the experience that I have with vampire films, which is not that much. The acting is great, with Ethan Hawke doing well as a main lead, Willem Dafoe having a lot of fun with what he has got, and Sam Neill is surprisingly intimidating as Ethan Hawke's boss. I actually find the premise about the whole world being infected by vampires is a really interesting concept that I never have seen before in vampire films, and it takes every single advantage of the premise. Some of the scares are really effective, and I did find the plot very interesting thanks to the well-developed characters. The action is very well done, and I did like that there's no romance in this, even though it was really close to become one. The gore, practical, and make-up effects look amazing that I didn't felt that there was a fake effect, that it except the computer animated parts which look unbelievably fake, but there's not much of it. Daybreakers is a really great movie that I really need to see more vampire films.
½ July 23, 2017
Daybreakers isn't a great film by a long shot, but it does its best to lift up the unholy mess of vampire films that seem to be almost extinct due to Twilight and other film even worse than it. The acting is good enough, not marvelous, but I did enjoy Ethan Hawke as usual, and I really though DaFoe was a very memorable character. Daybreakers is campy at times, but it's overall dark tone is definitely present and it doesn't feel as though it trying too hard, most of the time. This is a very solid vampire film, and it does leave itself open to possible sequels, which I would be interested in seeing
July 8, 2017
While the plot is intriguing and original, the film quickly diverges into a hokey vamp movie with bad dialogue, bland characters, and lifeless action scenes.
June 17, 2017
The most original vampire movie i've ever seen.
½ June 15, 2017
Watching in 2017. This movie... is not good. Logically speaking, the movie doesn't really make a lot of sense. The first half of the movie was actually awesome, all the way up to the climax. But then it felt like they just ran out of budget, with terrible explosion effects, bloody guys flying around, and was just a mess at the end. Very unfortunate for a movie with such a promising setup
½ May 27, 2017
ok movie. kind of felt like a straight to dvd movie at times. but it had a cool premise and took the genre in an interesting direction. there is some cool stuff in here but bland for the most part (2 viewings)
April 11, 2017
dark and compelling vampire film.
March 5, 2017
I really liked the movie...it had a few flaws...but it kept me entertained throughout
February 5, 2017
i really want to see this
January 29, 2017
I loved this movie and was genuinely disappointed when a prequel wasn't made.
January 21, 2017
One of the best vampire movies till date. loved it. wish there was a sequel
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
August 15, 2016
Not very good. Boring, acting not great. Had a low budget feel about it. Mediocre story line. Sorry I can't give it a better wrap, I just didn't like it.
½ July 12, 2016
Smart take on the regular vampire flick. Fast paced, edgy, interesting, and enjoyable!
½ May 26, 2016
Not an amazing film, but with a concept I can't seem to forget.
½ May 17, 2016
The casting, lighting and cinematography make Daybreakers appear a little more generic then the story actually is. If you can get past that and Ethan Hawke's extremely punchable face, Daybreakers is actually a decent take on the vampire genre with enough of a twist (albeit borrowed to some degree from Blade II) to make it interesting. Overall the Spierig's have put together a well crafted, if a bit generic looking take on a genre rapidly burning itself out.
March 9, 2016
Popcorn flick, nothing to special.