Dead Poets Society - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Poets Society Reviews

October 24, 2016
Le Cercle des Poètes Disparus reste dans l'imaginaire populaire comme un des meilleurs rôles de Robin Williams, là où son personnage n'est pas si éloigné que celui d'Awakenings ou plus tard de Will Hunting. Toujours est-il que le film de Peter Weir est plutôt réussi, avec son groupe d'étudiants attachants qui se voient enseigner la poésie par un professeur différent. Il est malheureux que le film se concentre plus sur eux que sur Robin Williams, justement, qui n'est jamais aussi bon que lorsqu'il est canalisé. On retrouve d'ailleurs Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard ou Josh Charles dans le groupe des étudiants, qui étaient alors vraiment prometteurs. Mais Le Cercle des Poètes Disparus est un peu trop long pour ce qu'il a vraiment à raconter et la dernière demi-heure semble presque manipulatrice plus qu'une conséquence logique. Finalement décevant.
October 5, 2016
Like the story, but the dead poets society is gay. Beginning and ending were fine, middle burning. More about students
September 17, 2016
I don't know how I happened to miss this, but I watched it last night and loved it. It appeals to my rebel streak.
½ August 27, 2016
The performances dazzle and the there is indeed inspiration to be found here. But the direction sort of took a wrong turn towards the end.
August 13, 2016
One of the best movies of all time
August 7, 2016
Inspirational from both teacher and student standpoint. Great young cast. Robin Williams zings.
½ August 5, 2016
Robin Williams delivers one of his best career performances in a profound, poetic film.
½ August 2, 2016
Robin Williams is outstanding as Prof. Keating, and the portrayals of the students are top notch, even if the film's inspiration and good intention is slightly bogged by a sappy feel.
July 29, 2016
Moving, profound film. Top quality.
July 24, 2016
A teacher's job is to inspire & a parent's job is to enable. Let the children develop their own thought & carve their own destiny.

A beautifully conveyed message albeit with a little pain.
½ July 7, 2016
Not exactly a plot im particularly interested in, nevertheless, a good movie. Great performance by Robin Williams.
July 1, 2016
Great performances from the young cast, and Robin Williams as always. However, it was always generally quite predictable.
½ June 27, 2016
An emotional piece with tough character development and an unusually likeable cast.
June 17, 2016
If I'd taken note of it at the time I'd forgotten this was a Disney Joint. Along with School Ties three years later it proved to be a masterclass in acting for an entire classroom of 18-year-olds. Interesting to view this movie in light of more recent events in Robin Williams' life. Would Mr. Keating have chosen to end his own life?

What the movie makes clear is the fact that most schooling is a plot to train students for a 9-5 assembly line. Creativity and independent thought are to be discouraged or spanked out of kids though canings and paddlings as such are looked down on today. Private schools are seen as an opportunity to meet up with and make associations with the right kind of people from the right backgrounds to become the corporate movers and shakers their parents expect them to become. Any attempt to deviate from this path is strongly discouraged. The miss-guided control parents attempt to exercise over their children's lives is shown to tragic degree in this movie. My dislike of Kurtwood Smith probably stems from watching this film.

I was bussed 25 miles to a consolidated high school, no private residential school for me but this movie brings back memories. I may have had an average in the 90ies but I took great pleasure each June once I'd gotten my exam results in sitting in front of the old drum that fed smoke to our smokehouse and ritually burning an entire year's scribblers and classroom notes. Our books were provided so we had to turn them in at the end of term.

Watching a DVD provides the opportunity to see deleted scenes and other supplements. Watching the young actors 12 years later and now in their 30ies talk about the experience of making the movie makes me feel better about my own memory--they can't agree on some rather basic details.

What this movie drives home in spades is the fact that parents may encourage their children, empower them, give them opportunities to thrive, love them and praise them; but they should not expect to live their lives for them and certainly not fulfil their parents dreams.

I fell in love with Robert Sean Leonard as an actor with this movie and have followed his career ever since. His next movie had him playing Paul Newman's rather straight-laced son in Mr. and Mrs. Bridge, an entirely different role. In Safe Passage he plays a pot smoking free spirit. Leonard is proof that one can be a great actor without becoming a movie star. You've probably seen him in many roles and not even realized who was playing--to my mind that's the mark of a great actor. In this movie he definitely a leader among men.
May 21, 2016
Menginspirasi. Pesan moral : Just do it, don`t bother what people think or said. Do antimainstream.
May 5, 2016
Una de las grandes segun tengo entendido, de esas que no puedes dejar de ver. Me ha parecido promedio.
½ April 16, 2016
Peter Wier's Dead Poet Society tackles mature subjects such as teen angst, suicide, etc. while enthralling us with superb writing and interesting characters
½ April 16, 2016
Peter Wier's Dead Poet Society tackles teenage angst, suicide, growing up and other mature themes while enthralling us with beautiful writing and characters
½ April 11, 2016
Decent movie wasn't expecting the dark final thirty minutes or so, strong performance by robin Williams.
April 7, 2016
One of the all time classic coming of age tales carried by a fantastic performance from Robin Williams, who launched himself to pop culture visibility with this film.