Dead Ringers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Ringers Reviews

½ May 9, 2018
The film is always compelling and Jeremy Irons does a great job playing two identical characters who are just a tiny bit slightly different, but it becomes hard to care when we see how contrived everything is in a script that wants them to go nuts for some artificial, lame reason.
May 4, 2018
A well made and absorbing film but one that is hard to sit through. As with most Cronenberg films it is extremely uncomfortable to watch at points and explores some pretty bizarre concepts. For a fan of Cronenberg like myself it is worth a watch and somewhat enjoyable but for mainstream audiences they might want to stay away.
March 12, 2018
SIMPLY a must see in the cronenberg filmography
January 13, 2018
its a strange tale of twin gynocologists who go insane
½ October 11, 2017
A depressing, kind of messed up, multi-layered, psychological drama horror. Great acting by Jeremy Irons. A strange and unsettling but rather well crafted movie. Not for everyone, mind you.
½ September 9, 2017
Despite being considered a horror film, I view David Cronenberg's "Dead Ringers" more as a harrowing drama - with some creepy moments - about identical twin doctors Beverly and Elliot Mantle (both roles played by Jeremy Irons) who experience a fall from grace in their profession and personal lives. The acting is okay (Irons did a pretty good job), the settings are uneasy (which adds emphasis to the character's emotions), and the same can be said for Cronenberg's direction, but I thought the story was a little confusing and uncomfortable as the film went on. "Dead Ringers" is a pretty decent drama film with horror elements (in my opinion), but leaves a depressing, despondent feel afterwards.
July 30, 2017
Sexual, strange and psychological Dead Ringers is David Cronenberg's best movie. It is the closes thing to understanding what being a twin is all about, but stretches it a little and at times melodramatic which is why it is so great. Jeremy Irons is so good at playing a twin, and with the technique Cronenberg uses, makes one think that they are two different people. However, what makes this movie so great is capitalizing on their identity issue and making it so the audience has a tough time telling who is who which is a stroke of genius on Irons and Cronenberg's part.
July 19, 2017
Very accurate depiction of how complex relationships between twins can be, especially in the lead performance by Irons.
½ July 16, 2017
Though there isn't much to it and I was expecting far more gory practical effects being a Cronenberg directed film it does have its pluses. I found the plot engrossing, Jeremy Irons is great at playing the twin leads, I like the score, it does things narratively I wasn't expecting and the supporting cast is decent.
½ June 2, 2017
I tend to enjoy the majority of David Cronenberg's films, but I just could not get into this one. Even though the critics seem to like it, I did not. I thought it was boring and ridiculous. I love Jeremy Irons, and both of his characters were not all that interesting. Maybe I am missing something here, but this movie is just not for me.
½ May 17, 2017
The acting of Jeremy Irons is top notch,while the movie is just ok.
April 21, 2017
This Movie Turned 25 Years Old In 2013.
March 2, 2017
Twistingly dark and dreadful tale about a pair of identical twins, but working as professional gynecologists. So many layers of complexity and the ever growing self-ideal which transforms through life. Jeremy Irons is after this, a pure genious.
February 6, 2017
Mesmerizing and brilliant! Each shot in this film is a work of art -- a framed still-life. The performances by Irons and Bujold are jaw-dropping! One of my top-10 all-time favorites.
January 23, 2017
Original, compelling, and brilliant. The story is full of emotional depth and complex characters. Jeremy Irons is amazing, Cronenberg's direction, and the writing, cinematography, and editing are outstanding. The ending feels rushed and isn't the shocker I was hoping for. It was unexpected but I didn't totally buy it. I'll definitely watch it again.
January 16, 2017
Dead Ringers is amazing! not good, not great, nor "ok", its amazing! David Cronenberg brings the dark side and horrors of the unfamiliar and apparent trusty medical field to life in the 1988 classic "Dead Ringers" starring Academy Award winner, Jeremy Irons and the personal suprise performance produced by Genevieve Bujold. The movie is a little underrated, but all in all, I give it a 8/10 personally!
November 26, 2016
David Cronenberg's film "Dead Ringers" is about bizarrely close twin brothers who become gynecologists together and share everything, including women (though without the women's knowledge that they are ever sleeping with two different men). When they both sleep with a popular actress and she figures them out but prefers the more introvert one...things begin to unravel in their strange shared life. It is a weird and wonderful movie, that left me unsettled for a lot of it's runtime...in a good way. If you like dark weird stories, this is a film for you.
November 24, 2016
I'm a big fan of Cronenberg as filmmaker; I think he's extremely intelligent and his films are distinctively original and thought-provoking, but I must confess "Dead Ringers" baffled me big time. I think it is a well-made film with great central performances by Jeremy Irons, and I think the first half of the film is very compelling. The second half of it, though, really disturbed me and made me feel uncomfortable, and perhaps that's what Cronenberg intended it to be (I will never know.) What Irons's character went through I thought was chilling and disturbing, and that really seeped into my bones, which is a compliment but not necessarily what I want to experience. As of now, "Dead Ringers" is not one of my favorite Cronenberg films, but I feel that with multiple viewings my opinions might change in the future. I admire it greatly, but it's not something I loved watching.
September 7, 2016
22%
Saw this on 2/9/16
This could be Crorenberg's worst as it is one of the most meaningless films I've ever seen. This time Crorenberg dipped his head way up his ass that no one can see what he's up to. Jeremy Irons seems to give a committed performance though.
½ July 12, 2016
Sheer brilliance. Deep down, EVERYONE has a love/hate thing about identical twins. On the one side, they wish they had that kind of communion with someone, that sort of magical intimacy they share, having someone basically the exact same as themselves...yet that same one-of-a-kind companionship is scary as hell.

I haven't seen, from my fellow Canadian, either 'Scanners' (1981) or 'Naked Lunch' (1991), so I can't honestly say whether or not my assertion can be thus extended, but I dare ANYONE to find in horror a finer run than Cronenberg had, in 'Videodrome', 'The Dead Zone', 'The Fly'...and this, 'Dead Ringers'.