Dear Wendy Reviews

• Feb 02, 2016

Lars von Trier wrote a film and gave it to fellow countryman Thomas Vinterberg. Both has done exceptional movie work several times but this is something quite different: It's nothing special. Well, it's a group of younger kids and their love for guns. There are some trouble and there are some action, but there is no great momentum here. Dick - our main guy, is some kind of loser and his friends are no big guns (hoho) either. When their intrest of guns escalate there are some sort of turn here, and it's them against the world. It's hard for me to stay interested and it's not thrilling or entertaining. Not a inspirational or heartfelt film either. The idea that this is a anti-film put against the USA's love of guns are alive but not supported by many - me included. It felt half-hearted, but I'm guessing there are some hidden meanings here. I never got it, and I never bothered to google it. 4 out of 10 targets.

• Jun 13, 2015

von Trier is why my MUBI user name is Dogville59. He wrote Dear Wendy and along with direction by Thomas Vinterberg made this movie. Trier is able to scathingly expose American insanity in this case via its obsession with the gun.Gun proponents should watch this movie. Powerful and cuts through the dark side of America as only Trier can: the same way Dogville does. No wonder a certain segment of America hates him.

• May 20, 2015

I thought this was a sharp bit of satire about a group of young social misfits who develop a fascination with guns. They form a strange, insular social group called "The Dandies" that makes them feel more powerful and self-assured, while also divorcing them from reality. Their loss of a firm grip on reality leads to a bizarre, violent climax.

• Feb 20, 2014

"Dear Wendy" is pretentious--it's also a visceral thrill with some fine writing.

• Dec 31, 2013

What a film! Great story, awesome cast... brilliantly directed.

What a film! Great story, awesome cast... brilliantly directed.

• Dec 07, 2013

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

• Nov 04, 2012

It's easy for me to be generous with Lars von Trier and Mark Webber and critiques of violence or gun culture... but this one misses what should've been a promising mark.

• Jun 15, 2012

wached it once might wanna wach it again.

wached it once might wanna wach it again.

• Jun 06, 2012

Non. Je ne peux pas mettre de mots sur cette oeuvre. J'essaie de mettre le doigt sur ce qu'elle m'a fait ressentir, mais le contraste était trop puissant, trop... harmonisé pour que je puisse identifier quoi que ce soit. L'oeuvre est majeure, et m'a sincèrement marqué. L'histoire commence pourtant calmement, et elle tisse lentement sa toile autour du spectateur, qui se laissera prendre de court par la suite des évènements. Car, qu'est-ce que réellement le pacifisme, sinon de s'empêcher à tout prix d'être violent?

• Apr 25, 2012

To the casual viewer one might think that is this an anti-american movie specially considering that it is written by Lars Von Tier they might be right,but I think it's more than that. I look at it not only as an anti-gun movie but also america's love affair with firearms in genral take in account the fact the dandies uses pistol's to go up again heavy armed police officers at the end..there is so much said in this movie it's no wonder it's lost on most people.