Death Proof - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death Proof Reviews

October 20, 2017
Full of blood, witty dialogue, over-the-top characters and a great performance by Kurt Russell! Tarantino delivers a solid entry into the Grindhouse genre!

While definitely not as strong as his other contributions to film, Quentin Tarantino's "Death Proof" is still a solid piece of entertainment. However, the middle of the film almost seems to forget what it was trying to be, almost throwing the tone and pace completely off. After the solid opening scene with Russell stealing the spotlight immediately, and first twenty or so minutes of the film, the movie slows down to introduce the three protagonists of the film, however, it seems as if they just are stuck in the car rambling on about nonsense for a good chunk of the film. None of them are really interesting, but it's not completely boring as Tarantino's dialogue manages to save it. It isn't until Kurt Russell is re-introduced in the film and meets up with the protagonists where it starts to pick up again, and of course, the tone becomes even goofier. Girls dangling off of the edges of cars, getting thrown off the hood with only minor scratches. However, since it's a Grindhouse movie, it's forgiven. But nothing ever seems to match the excellence of the first twenty minutes. It's still a solid movie that's a lot of fun! If you're a Tarantino fan, definitely check this one out! If you're not, still watch it. Good movie!

4/5 Stars
October 12, 2017
I'm Making Really Violent R-Rated Movies That Are Going To Be Made For Teens And Adults.
½ September 14, 2017
Ended kinda lame but the build up was awesome
September 11, 2017
Just to get it out in the open as quick as possible, Death Proof is no Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill and one or two lines have been removed from the US cut that helped with the comedic punch, but Quentin Tarantino's original cut of his exploitation homage shows the man's still got it. True, people are gonna be a little miffed because there's even more dialogue, but hey, that's Tarantino's thing and he's got the modern woman's language down to a T. The new scenes involving Kurt Russell help increase Stuntman Mike's creepy, and ultimately pathetic, factor (I honestly feel the man could be down for a couple awards for this performance), the lapdance is one of the sexiest scenes to be included in a movie since Cuaron made Y Tu Mama Tambien, the performances by the women are top notch, considering the material its based on - especially Dawson, Ferlito, Thoms, & Bell - QT's picks in music continue to be inventive, and anything involving those vintage muscle cars, aside from trashing them, is just bonafide badass.
August 18, 2017
It may be the least great of Tarantino's films, but Death Proof is far from bad. Kurt Russell gives a friendly yet menacing lead performance, and the supporting cast is at the top of their game. The script is excellent, and the action is brutal and intense. In the words of my father, Death Proof is "the most violent feminist movie I've ever seen."
August 6, 2017
Finally got round to watching this...which is strange for me as I'm a massive Tarantino fan. It may have been because I loved the Rodriguez half of the Grindhouse double and was weary that this would not be as good. In the end, it wasn't...but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Tarantino's love and knowledge of film shines through here and the gritty 'warped film' look works a treat. The acting is as good as it needs to be...and not much is expected. Kurt Russell is obviously having a good time. There are plenty of sexy asses (there seems to be a fixation in this film...not that I'm complaining) and all round eye candy to enjoy. Tarantino's writing is still prominent throughout...and I am always in awe at the man's skill to make benal conversation interesting...and often iconic. However, more story for next time please...
June 26, 2017
Quentin Tarantino delivers a very entertaining -yet boring at first- film that got me at the edge of my seat during the climax.
No car chasing scene has ever been more thrilling for me in movie history.
:D
May 29, 2017
I absolutely loved this. It looked amazing (women, cars, the action), the music was great, I actually enjoyed all the lengthy conversations and the ending was just a cherry on top of it all. Pure pleasure (and a little bit of fright).
April 26, 2017
I liked the car crash scenes but I hated the annoying girls chatting that takes up 90% of the movie
April 21, 2017
Very forgettable film.
½ April 13, 2017
4/13/2017 (2): Meh. A really great cast, but an ok movie at best.
½ April 2, 2017
Say what you want, but I love "Death Proof." I think it's definitely one of Tarantino's best and most misunderstood. Plus, Kurt Russell just owns the part of Stuntman Mike.
½ April 1, 2017
Not Tarantino's best work but its another entertaining version of Grindhouse. Fans of his filmmaking will still find it enjoyable. B+.
½ March 31, 2017
Death Proof is underrated because it is Tarantino's weakest film. It's still a good film. The stunt work is brilliant, the performances are all convincing but although the characters are good, none of them rank with most of the characters from Tarantino's other films. The soundtrack is decent and the script is still fire as always. The thing that was lacking the most was the motivation behind Kurt Russell's character Stuntman Mike and why he does what he does. We never really get any proper explanation. This movie also looks nowhere near as good as Tarantino's other films, it looks quite poor actually, particularly nothing on the Kill Bills, which came out a few years before this.
March 28, 2017
Absolute poo! I am a massive Tarantino fan but this is his worst film by far. One of the most boring films i've ever seen in my life. There are two amazing scenes to be fair but thats it.. and the ending.. pffft
½ March 25, 2017
A rough patch from the otherwise stellar filmography of Quentin Tarantino, Death Proof is far less sophisticated, entertaining, and polished than his other work and proves to be a major disappointment.
March 20, 2017
Had this film stuck to just being about girls hanging out, talking and having a good time then this would have been well worth it. Tarantino writes dialogue that sounds and feels natural, which proves to be as much a strength here than in his previous work. However, Kurt Russell and the whole car killing business is completely unneeded and ruins what could have been a great simple drama. Death Proof is therefore very much alike to From Dusk Till Dawn, which starts out as an interesting 'bandits on the run' caper, yet turns into a daft and needless vampire flick. This seems to be the story these days when considering Tarantino's work - unlike the three classics Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown - the phrase 'what might have been' is appropriate to his recent projects Kill Bill and the Grindhouse opus.
½ March 11, 2017
As a complete film, I'm not sure this one quite comes off, but in terms of being a love letter to grindhouse cinema, it's filled with wonderful touches throughout that make it an absolute treat for fans of 1970s exploitation flicks (which I came to love in the 80s on VHS). Touches that I loved in "Death Proof" were the faux scratched up print, the costumes that looked both contemporary and period, the missing scenes, the film's title change ("Quentin Tarantino's Thunder Bolt" that appears onscreen for a split second), bad rack focusing, the film title font choice, the subtle reference to other classics like "Gone in 60 Seconds" in the film's opening title sequence or references to cheerleader and muscle car movies or to voyeuristic giallo films or even dialogue references to classics like "Vanishing Point" or "Big Wednesday," and then there's the casting of Kurt Russell, which that in and of itself is enough to evoke nostalgia from 80s Gen-Xers who should be thrilled to see Russell getting to play a badass once again. The story is one of the film's weak points, which is unusual for a Tarantino film. The story follows two separate sets of beautiful women being stalked by serial killer Stuntman Mike (Russell) and his Death Proof car, but maybe the implausible story and gaps in logic are part of Tarantino's homage to exploitation cinema. Another complaint is that some of the dialogue, particularly in the first half of the film, although entertaining didn't seem to serve either the story or character development, which Tarantino usually does so well. But again, Tarantino may just have been riffing and having fun with this freewheeling film. But for all it's flaws, this is still a highly entertaining film and it's impossible not to enjoy the badass showdown between Stuntman Mike and the second set of women, who happen to include amazing stuntwoman Zoe Bell. This film should have made Zoe Bell an action star, but that may not have happened since there are so few female action roles in Hollywood. Tarantino really knocks it out of the park with the film's final chase and action sequences, which are greatly aided by Tarantino's excellent choice of music (though the music choices throughout the film are great). If you had any misguided belief that this was a throwaway film on Tarantino's part, he again proves himself as a true "cinema guy" and does deliver some moments of pure cinema (moments that could not be captured in books, animation, comics, or any medium outside of film). Besides any scene with Russell, I think my favorite moment of the film is was when Zoe Bell is on the hood of the Dodge Charger and Tarantino has the camera go into close-up on Rosario Dawson's face, who is at first terrified by Bell on the hood and then slowly comes to the realization that Bell is loving it, as Dawson breaks out into a smile. It's a great performance by Dawson, but Tarantino's slow zoom and patience to hold on Dawson are just brilliant. Like most Tarantino films, this one features a deliciously eclectic cast, that besides Russell and Bell includes Rosario Dawson, Rose McGowan, Jordan Ladd, the underrated Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Eli Roth, Michael Parks as Earl McGraw and James Parks as Edgar McGraw, Marley Shelton, and Nicky Katt. Although this film is likely Tarantino's weakest film, it's still a solid film and well worth watching.
½ February 19, 2017
Fun ride and great performance by Kurt Russell. Moves a tad slow in some parts, but can totally see playing in a drive thru theater as intended.
½ February 14, 2017
very dull and boring but good action and editing. tarantino's worst movie