Death Proof - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death Proof Reviews

January 15, 2017
4/5. Not Tarantino's best film, best still damn entertaining.
January 12, 2017
Quentin says he regrets making this film. Fuck that I really enjoyed this film. Kurt Russel is amazing. Great soundtrack, shocking different, original.
December 28, 2016
This is my personal favourite movie. I just love the 70's feel and the grindhouse context of it. It's his most exciting film since Pulp Fiction.
½ December 15, 2016
The film finds itself dragging on a bit with some uninteresting conversations, but builds up to a pulse-pounding climax.
½ December 4, 2016
Tarantino crafts yet another giddily gory grindhouse throwback. Not his best work, but it has more than enough substance to entertain. [B]
December 2, 2016
I raised interest at the first half. The second one was a little dahfuck, but it stood be fun enough. Tarantino hasn't lost his touch, but I expect more from him.
November 27, 2016
Death Proof, when separated from the whole of the giddy, thrilling Grindhouse presents itself as possibly Tarantino's weakest film overall, along with the flawed but truly fascinating oddity that is Kill Bill Volume 2 (really watch it again, there are s a strange mixture of tones and moods going on, it's got a really weird vibe to it) it occupies space at the bottom of the big chinned geniuses filmography as a minor entry in eight film (or seven if you count Kill Bill as one movie) legacy so far. The script for starters is noticeably weaker than usual, the sharp, witty conversations concerning characters covering a whole lot of random subjects and pop culture references, here feels a little forced, not as sharp and effortless as expected from the same man who gave us Dennis Hoppers Sicilians scene in "True Romance" or Christopher Walken's jaw dropping gold watch monologue in Pulp Fiction. It feels a bit too slight as well, like it covers not much ground and just stops, it's like an 80 minute long film that has been stretched to two hours. Another issue is that the second group of Characters just aren't as engaging as the gang of girl buddies we spend the first half with, the chicks in the first half jump from bar to bar, banter, listen to jukebox music and dance, their cool and fun to be around, giving the film a chilled out, vibe that is really infectious, it's a true hang out movie and these girls feel like they could be actual mates unlike the less believable bunch later on. The movie is broken in half by one of the most brutal car crashes ever filmed, and on multiple watches is noticeably not quite as good again after. For some reason Tarantino also mostly ditches the grainy film stock for the second half , robbing the film of it's grainy, textured look. I will say that i like the next group of ladies very much, Zoe Bell adds so much to the film, with her kiwi accent in tact and her stunt woman skills in full display she gives the film an added something, seeing the actual lead actress gripping onto the front bonnet of a speeding car and seeing that it's truly her adds a terrifying viscerality to the final chase, which by the way is one of the greatest car chases ever put on screen, there's a rawness to the length of it plus Zoe Bell's scary as fuck in camera derring-do that is incredibly thrilling. Plus Kurt Russel just owns the fuck out of every moment he's in, his Stuntman Mike is by turns charismatic, cool, vulnerable, creepy, repugnant, vicious, and even hilariously pathetic, it's a towering performance and an indelible, unique character. He makes the movie.
November 25, 2016
A delightful homage to exploitation films of the '70s, and it is especially amusing thanks to the way it mixes the visual elements of those movies with modern ones, but Tarantino gives in once again to his narcissistic self-indulgences in endless, tiresome exchanges of dialogue.
½ November 15, 2016
Incredibly gruesome and bloody in the first part, but boy does karma come back and bite Stuntman Mike in the behind to close out part two of the story.
November 7, 2016
Era una especie de "trabajo menor serie B" pero para lo que ha estado haciendo últimamente Tarantino, parece más bien ser el inicio de su chafez.
October 12, 2016
Say what you want, but I love "Death Proof." I think it's definitely one of Tarantino's best and most misunderstood. Plus, Kurt Russell just owns the part of Stuntman Mike.
½ September 13, 2016
Not much of a plot, Kurt Russel was pretty great as a homicidal stuntman though. The only character I really wanted to see die was the annoying Australian woman, and she lived, so I was disappointed with that. Death Proof really seems to jump to two different stories that have nothing much in common except one character. But it is halfway decent, but not that good of a film when you consider some of Tarantino's other work.
September 7, 2016
A fierce road rage extravaganza with Kurt Russell!
½ September 7, 2016
Exceptional performances from an empowering cast of freaking diverse ladies. It's way better than your typical slasher film.
August 13, 2016
Tarantino couldn't even produce a bad movie when he was trying.
½ August 7, 2016
High-octane entertainment with genuine car stunts and fun film style. Death Proof was a fun project for Tarantino that had the right amount of kick.
July 30, 2016
The cinematic equivalent of Tarantino master-bating on screen for 2 hours. I could have enjoyed this a lot more, there are elements of a good movie here, if it didn't feel so self indulgent.
½ July 29, 2016
A neat horror gem with an impressive 70's feel to it.
½ July 15, 2016
My least favourite Tarantino film by a mile but still solid and great fun. I seriously hope he abandons his wish to only do two more films (after his recent 'The Hateful Eight') and then retire, but chacun son gout, as the French would say, and everyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as they don't hurt anyone else, right? And if anyone of recent vintage (the past 25 years) deserves that, it's Tarantino, I suppose, but still, I hope he's lying.
½ July 15, 2016