Death Proof Reviews

• Aug 11, 2019

Death Proof cranks up the tension, with Tarantino's Grindhouse entry offering plenty of fun and car chase action. The character building and feet fetish is present as always. A hell of a ride!

• Aug 06, 2019

So, in the first act, the good guy eliminates a bunch of drunk driving bitches but then, in the second act, another bunch of dangerous driving bitches lynches the good guy. Where's the logic in that?

• Jul 30, 2019

If I could pick Tarantino's brain over any one of his movies, my mind would immediately flock towards his all-in homage to grindhouse cinema, 'Death Proof.' An intentionally shoddy construction paying tribute to the sleazily hyperviolent, hypersexualized exploitation genre, Death Proof has a real WTF factor that goes on to challenge even those familiar with the grindhouse style, and it's hilariously left up in the air if there's any actual substance to extrapolate from it as well. And while featuring the great Kurt Russell, Rosario Dawson, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, it's a delightfully upbeat Zoë Bell that ends up stealing the show…playing herself, whatever that's about. There's a lot to like, but not quite love about 'Death Proof' and its roguish eccentricities as it ultimately comes out lopsided in its story, characters, and even style. The quintessential bouts of extended Tarantino dialogue get a little tiring in this particular piece, which, at just under two hours, still feels too long as a whole. Additionally, the split two-part narrative leaves something to be desired in both halves, and though the hashed flick is made to be purposefully bad (Tarantino has gone so far as to proclaim it so himself), there's another film of his that follows the same pulpy style while delivering the goods exponentially better.

• Jul 30, 2019

If Tarantino is in the driver's seat, all his stunts are safe, might be vanilla, might be amateur, but safe. Death Proof Tarantino's classic throwback to revenge based action crime looks like is influenced mostly by his creative partner Robert Rodriguez in here. This B grade alike framed film remains simpleton in contrast to the writer and director Quentin Tarantino's other projects. And there are plenty of issues in here. And along with it, multiple number of similarities to his films itself. But that can be considered as his signature remark. What the real issue is the wafer thin substance that it HAS to feed on. And this obligation is something Tarantino cannot overcome. Similar to Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, the structure is split into two parts or two cases, to be more precise. And he has to go through them as the "part of the journey" calls him to follow the rules step by step. As far as style is concerned in the film, Tarantino debates like no one else. You'd have to nod along to his theories. And by now I thought his arguments were based on facts, humor, one-liners and philosophical debates. But it clearly isn't the case, he places his elements smoothly in narration, so that by the time it comes for him to zap us with the ultimate fan drooling climactic scenes, the adrenaline just floods in naturally. Another major improvement is how he projects Kurt Russell as a threat in the middle of the film where the color fades away and Tarantino tries to whisper something magical to us. Another unbeatable armor of his is the ability to write intriguing and light conversations on screen but in here, I am sorry, I didn't buy in any of the anecdotes despite some really good incidents shared by him. Death Proof is a proof that Tarantino can spice up any lofty genre with grounding conditions, no matter on what scale.

• Jul 29, 2019

7.5/10 -(Seen on 7/29/19)

7.5/10 -(Seen on 7/29/19)

• Jul 28, 2019

Quentin Tarantino miserably fails at pouring excessive violence and pointless sex onto Death Proof, forcing me to wonder why it even exists.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jul 13, 2019

In the tradition of two-faced, double-dealing, backstabbing this testosterone fueled motor revving only pretends to be "one for the girls" but in reality is another greasy exploitation that panders to the fantasies of underage nerd boys.

• Jul 04, 2019

I love this movie! It's so badass.

I love this movie! It's so badass.

• Jul 02, 2019

Fairly spotty dialogue for a Tarantino movie. Over-the-top action sequences with odd instances of comedy fit in the movie perfectly. Kurt Russel makes for one of the most entertaining and well-done performances in a B movie.

• May 13, 2019

This may not be Tarantino's best movie but it has its moments. I enjoyed it thoroughly. The best character isn't in the movie that much but is still so cool.