Deathtrap - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deathtrap Reviews

½ March 24, 2018
What seems an obvious stage play adapted to the screen, has 3 persons entangled in a lucrative semi-professional relationship all wanting to be a literary star in their own right - but who really writes the material when it begins to be acted out in real life?
October 7, 2017
Murder-mysteries don't get any better than this. Well-acted with the kind of ingenious script you just don't see very much these days. I had seen this 35 years ago but had totally forgotten the plot twists, so it was a pleasure re-watching.
March 8, 2017
Nice mystery/comedy. Gay, unhinged Cristopher Reeve.
August 27, 2016
Apart from Sidney Lumet's direction, Michael Caine's performance, and its source material, DEATHTRAP is an immensely flawed movie.
½ September 14, 2015
Good murder mystery with a few twist and turns.
½ September 13, 2015
Wanted to enjoy it, but I kept thinking how contrived it was and how it felt like a mediocre sleuth. Good acting despite the plot.
½ August 6, 2015
gr8 cast makes this who done it go
August 6, 2015
Lumet directs as if he has never seen a movie. He keeps the camera so far away from the actors, one might as well be in another room. Perhaps that is why the cast overacts so atrociously. Add a supremely annoying harpsichord on the soundtrack, and you have a movie that is virtually unwatchable. Perhaps the story gets clever; I've never made it far enough to know.
½ February 6, 2015
Though it might work better on stage, Deathtrap still works here thanks to its thrills, laughs, and twists and turns at every corner fully embracing its self-referential plot.
½ December 16, 2014
This may be the most metaphysical movie of all time. Based on the play, Deathtrap is about playwright Sidney Bruhl, who's in a bit of a rut. After receiving an incredible play from a young upstart, he plots to murder this man and steal his work. But that's only the beginning! Full of fiendish plot devices and killer twists, the movie keeps up a very tense pace, even if the ending is a bit on the silly side. The actors and the plot are terrific, for a very absorbing and underrated thriller from Sidney Lumet.
November 16, 2014
September 12, 2014
This is one of my all-time favorite movies. Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve - two of my favorite actors - are 100% why this is a great movie. The amazing aspect of this movie is that, like the play, all of the action really takes place in one room. It shows us again that what makes movies great is people: Their relationships and interactions, carried out on screen by solid actors. The self-referential, who-done-it, evolving plot is very entertaining and will keep you on your feet, engaged in the devious plotting of its two male protagonists. Few movies made today have the courage to do such simple and direct story-telling, that it reminds us of how simple and yet how engaging simple dialogue between two interesting characters can be. I watch this movie over and over because I just love the dialog between Caine and Reeves and the way two very different actors can interact and weave their dramatic tale till its final dramatic end.
September 4, 2014
All a bit silly...lots of speeches where people pull out weapons ad say things like "It was I all along!!!.." before explaining their motives but I kind of enjoyed it.
April 23, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
March 12, 2013
Twist upon twist makes an absorbing mystery even better...
½ February 11, 2013
A clever thriller based on a stage play. Not surprisingly, it feels a bit like one, but not in a bad way. I loved the plot's twists and darkly humorous tone, and even though the whole thing comes off a bit silly, it was great fun watching it.
January 22, 2013
Gay Superman? Bryan Singer's favorite film. Michael Caine makes the Batman connection. Lumet, what were you thinking?
December 26, 2012
I watched this along with the other cast members because we were in a stage production of this film. The filming was horribly done.