Derek Reviews

• Jan 02, 2018

I'm watching for the third time. One of my favorite shows ever. There is one commandment, "Be kind!" That is it.

• Ed K Super Reviewer
    Jan 09, 2014

Good tribute, I'm sure, but a bit slow and artsy for anyone unfamiliar with the subject.

• Jun 13, 2011

a stunning portrait and tribute to one of my favourite people in the world. well done tilda and isaac!

• May 03, 2011

If you're an artist, musician, et al, see this. Changed my life. No joke. :)

If you're an artist, musician, et al, see this. Changed my life. No joke. :)

• Jun 15, 2010

Very interesting person. I had no idea about this guy, Just grabbed the movie at the library and was into it. Very interesting life. Just amazing tales to tell and what he went and lived through and his art and work. I had no idea.

• Jun 07, 2010

Om du er interesert å vite litt mere om britisk underground filmskaper and all time wonderboy Derek Jarman, er dette filmen for deg,om ikke ,spis en is istendenfor!

• May 09, 2010

What makes this documentary valuable is the amount of love that has gone into it. It's not terribly . . . I don't know, innovative or thorough, but what is has to offer is tender and unsentimental.

• Jul 09, 2009

Worth to see but I'm not sure if Swinton's part makes the doc any deeper.

Worth to see but I'm not sure if Swinton's part makes the doc any deeper.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Jun 09, 2009

Thankfully, "Derek" has nothing to do with Derek Jeter.(Sorry, Mets fan.) Rather, it is an endearing documentary about Derek Jarman, an iconoclastic film director who challenged the status quo both politically and aesthetically, who died of AIDS related complications in 1994. Along with clips from his films and archival footage, the documentary mostly consists of a 1990 interview with Jarman which serves as a narration on his life and work, detailing the creative and political influences on his movies. After a chance meeting with Ken Russell, Jarman, an underground artist at the time, was hired to design the sets for "The Devils"(Now, there is a movie I have to see one of these days...) which turned out to be his introduction to making movies. His political involvement in movements against Thatcher and militancy for gay rights would inform even his historical films, especially "Edward II," with Jarman's signature use of anachronisms, leaving them unstuck in time and making them relevant for all times, especially the present day from which Her Timelessness Tilda Swinton recalls their collaborations and friendship.

• Feb 06, 2009

Poetic tribute by Tilda to her beloved friend Derek. Sadly missed but never forgotten.