The Descent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descent Reviews

December 7, 2016
4/5. The first half is pretty much the most terrifying experience I have watching a movie. The second half isn't quite as riveting, but all in all, The Descent is one hell of a scary movie.
December 7, 2016
Imagine being forced to watch paint dry while receiving an enema and a root canal!
October 31, 2016
Why this film is so well regarded is beyond me. Aside from some clever lighting and cinematography, The Descent is a poorly-executed, terribly edited, movie with sloppy storytelling and a ridiculous ending, with a good mix of predictable plot points and jump scares to boot.
October 31, 2016
Huzzah! This one didn't suck. lol
½ October 31, 2016
Way better than The VVitch.
½ October 30, 2016
Another horror movie that you don't care about the characters at all in. The accents are all dodgy in that they sound terrible next to each other. How on earth one girl survives long enough for her to say who killed her after an axe through her spine or neck... Also, frenetic directing means you have no idea what's happening in acting moments.
½ October 28, 2016
Phenomenal. Pure thriller. They build up your anxiety to just pure insanity to scare you at the perfect time. Also tastefully gruesome. Only gave it 4.5 purely on just minor flaws in the logic of the feud developed between the characters. Other than that, great movie to scare the hell out of you.
½ October 23, 2016
If you have claustrophobia this movie is definitely not for you. Even before the creatures showed up it was already pretty tense and scary because of the confined spaces alone. So much so that once they did finally show up it kind of felt out of place. But only for a brief amount of time. Once they show up it becomes a fight for survival that barely lets up until the very end. I will say though that the first 30 minutes or so are kind of a slow burn especially if you're not watching it for the first time and that the ending kind of felt like a cop out and wasn't as satisfying as I felt the filmmakers intended it to be. I also didn't like the fact that they felt the need to add a conflict between two of the girls towards the end of the film. As if their current situation wasn't problematic enough. But, other than that I thought The Descent was a pretty effective horror film filled with a couple of scares that actually kind of got me.
½ October 9, 2016
An interesting horror flick, but left wanting a little more as I thought the plot and one of the main twists was pretty simple and evident after the first few minutes of the film. I read up about the film afterwards since it was so highly rated and I felt a little disappointed and then I find out that they actually changed the ending for the american release and I would have definitely preferred the original ending based on the description.
October 7, 2016
The best horror film I've ever seen.
September 20, 2016
Interesting and doesn't rely (solely) on jump scares, with some good twists along the way.
½ September 8, 2016
I usually come to Rotten Tomatoes for decent reviews and ratings. I feel like a rating of 80% for horror films is basically 10/10 for every other film. This film is seriously overrated, weak story line, too many poorly executed and predictable jump scares. The creatures are unbelievable and some of the later shots are borderline cheesy, The first 30 minutes are the best. When a horror film humours you rather than makes you scared you know there is something wrong. 4.5/10
September 6, 2016
anxiety stacked on top of anxiety. neil marshall truly set the bar high with a gory survival film.
½ August 25, 2016
In 'The Descent', Neil Marshall managed to establish a tight and claustrophobic atmosphere that was mainly the objective to scare; rather than the cannibalistic, human-like, bat-creatures that intensified the already eerie tone of the film. This is a superior horror flick that achieves with distinction in creating a dark, tense and nihilistic atmosphere. It also significantly inaugurates a message about how undersized this world really is and that there is still more discovering for explorers to do.
½ August 17, 2016
I just can't give good reviews to movies with no plot or just too stupid to make sense. Really? Cavemen who never left the cave? That's not how evolution works especially when these blind cavemen still goes OUTSIDE to hunt b/c there are no food source in the cave!

And they can kill wolves and other wild animals but can't fight a couple of chicks?
½ August 11, 2016
As someone completely and utterly horrified by any type of scary movie, this movie was more comical that frightening or thrilling.
August 4, 2016
this movie will forever be engraved in my heart, I watched it when I was about 8 in the theater and for some reason this movie just reminds me of simpler times, weird but just love it such a cult classic.
½ July 26, 2016
Strong horror movie with an all-female cast with some genuinely scary claustrophobic scenes.
July 25, 2016