The Descent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descent Reviews

January 11, 2017
A gripping plot, an excellent cast and the perfect blend of violent and tear-jerking moments makes "The Descent" a claustrophobic masterpiece.
½ January 8, 2017
The Descent has bland characters like almost every other horror film, but it scared the living hell out of me which is rare because I don't get scared easily.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 31, 2016
I always thought this was good, but a little too overhyped, but viewing it Ten years later, without a hype train affecting it, this is actually a really damn great horror flick. Tense, atmospheric and creepy. Great ending too.
December 30, 2016
One of the best horror/suspense movies ever, particularly if you are claustrophobic in any way. I can hardly stand to watch some of the scenes in this movie, yet I can't look away. I will never set foot in a cave again!
December 18, 2016
Dizzying camerawork and dimly lit cinematography give a claustrophobic sensation to The Descent, an exciting, female-driven adventure that features plenty of gore and mutants-feasting-on-flesh action, but also has enough smarts to honor its dynamic performers.
December 7, 2016
4/5. The first half is pretty much the most terrifying experience I have watching a movie. The second half isn't quite as riveting, but all in all, The Descent is one hell of a scary movie.
December 7, 2016
Imagine being forced to watch paint dry while receiving an enema and a root canal!
October 31, 2016
Why this film is so well regarded is beyond me. Aside from some clever lighting and cinematography, The Descent is a poorly-executed, terribly edited, movie with sloppy storytelling and a ridiculous ending, with a good mix of predictable plot points and jump scares to boot.
October 31, 2016
Huzzah! This one didn't suck. lol
½ October 31, 2016
Way better than The VVitch.
½ October 30, 2016
Another horror movie that you don't care about the characters at all in. The accents are all dodgy in that they sound terrible next to each other. How on earth one girl survives long enough for her to say who killed her after an axe through her spine or neck... Also, frenetic directing means you have no idea what's happening in acting moments.
½ October 28, 2016
Phenomenal. Pure thriller. They build up your anxiety to just pure insanity to scare you at the perfect time. Also tastefully gruesome. Only gave it 4.5 purely on just minor flaws in the logic of the feud developed between the characters. Other than that, great movie to scare the hell out of you.
½ October 23, 2016
If you have claustrophobia this movie is definitely not for you. Even before the creatures showed up it was already pretty tense and scary because of the confined spaces alone. So much so that once they did finally show up it kind of felt out of place. But only for a brief amount of time. Once they show up it becomes a fight for survival that barely lets up until the very end. I will say though that the first 30 minutes or so are kind of a slow burn especially if you're not watching it for the first time and that the ending kind of felt like a cop out and wasn't as satisfying as I felt the filmmakers intended it to be. I also didn't like the fact that they felt the need to add a conflict between two of the girls towards the end of the film. As if their current situation wasn't problematic enough. But, other than that I thought The Descent was a pretty effective horror film filled with a couple of scares that actually kind of got me.
½ October 9, 2016
An interesting horror flick, but left wanting a little more as I thought the plot and one of the main twists was pretty simple and evident after the first few minutes of the film. I read up about the film afterwards since it was so highly rated and I felt a little disappointed and then I find out that they actually changed the ending for the american release and I would have definitely preferred the original ending based on the description.
October 7, 2016
The best horror film I've ever seen.
September 20, 2016
Interesting and doesn't rely (solely) on jump scares, with some good twists along the way.
½ September 8, 2016
I usually come to Rotten Tomatoes for decent reviews and ratings. I feel like a rating of 80% for horror films is basically 10/10 for every other film. This film is seriously overrated, weak story line, too many poorly executed and predictable jump scares. The creatures are unbelievable and some of the later shots are borderline cheesy, The first 30 minutes are the best. When a horror film humours you rather than makes you scared you know there is something wrong. 4.5/10
September 6, 2016
anxiety stacked on top of anxiety. neil marshall truly set the bar high with a gory survival film.