The Descent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descent Reviews

February 13, 2018
A group of thoroughly unlikable young women, who speak entirely in exposition dumps, dive into a cave and get killed by lame gollum knockoffs.
Dreadfully paced, poorly written, and woefully acted, "The Descent"'s enduring popularity remains a mystery to me.
The experience of watching this film can be accurately recreated by grabbing the Christmas lights from your attic, shutting off all other light sources, and then having the bulbs talk to each other for an hour - just remember to give the bulbs such awful personalities that you'll want to smash them within 15 minutes of beginning this ridiculous exercise.
Bad, bad, bad!
½ January 31, 2018
The film is extremely intense at times. I also like how it makes you feel a bit claustrophobic. But some of the choices made by the characters were laughably dumb.
January 11, 2018
taut, claustrophobic, and tension-filled. the entire cast give great performances and the lighting is some of the best I've ever seen. a modern classic
December 31, 2017
'The Descent' does a great job of conveying the claustrophobic and tension felt by the characters in the film. It does very little hand-holding and whatever important plot points it needs to carry across, it usually does it twice just in case you missed it once but not in an obvious or obnoxious way, which was enjoyable to see. Its lighting also deserves a mention, for in the limited spaces wherein most of the action occurred, the lighting throughout most of the film was consistently believable and always enhanced the mood.
½ December 11, 2017
A staple of fantastic modern British horror, the Descent relies on two things to terrify it's audience; the bolstering and passionate performances of the all-female cast who present genuine and relateable characters and also the steady direction of Neil Marshall who magically manages to make a potholing tunnel in an underground network of caves seem even more claustrophobic and tiny than it actually is. The pacing of the film is incredible, with shocks and frights occurring when you least expect them, suggesting the ideas behind the film are creative and committed. Macdonald and Mendoza lead in matters of quality of performance, yet all of the actors are fantastic. The creatures that reside in the cave are merely coincidental as the real horror comes from the girls' having to face their own demons and more horrifyingly, each other and the darkness that seems to get darker and darker until it eventually envelopes them completely. The Descent can easily swear you off any extreme sports for life, particularly spelunking or potholing. The horror is both psychologically biting and physically strong in the Descent.
October 28, 2017
Claustrophobic and well-acted, The Descent takes a while to get going but it exhibits a thoroughly tense atmosphere throughout
October 27, 2017
Extremely Amazing Scenery And Cinematography and the suspense and horror in The Descent is just the cherry on top of a perfect terrifying flick
October 27, 2017
The Descent started to frighten me long before any creatures showed up. This movie plays on multiple fears at the same time and that's what makes it effective. It also takes its time to build up suspense before it gets to the truly gruesome parts. I don't think I'll be going spelunking any time soon after watching this film.
jamrcla
October 27, 2017
Pretty good and well acted, It had a few little jumps but the main horror comes from the claustrophobia and and weird creatures chasing you and it can get very gripping, It had a good ending but it never really tried anything particularly new.
½ October 23, 2017
As good as a horror movie gets. Can't believe it took this long for me to get around to watching it. Real fun stuff. Great gore. Great build up. There's a lot to like. Excellent concept, excellent execution. This movie should forever stand the test of horror-time.
½ October 7, 2017
You won't find a movie in this genre any better. A must see! Unless of course you're very sensitive, claustrophobic or at risk of having a heart attack.
September 8, 2017
Very bloody at times but not as scary as I thought it would be. Still very good though.
½ September 6, 2017
The movie had a great atmosphere,keeping me on edge and making any startling moments worthwhile.Later on it switched to a less desirable more gory style.
August 29, 2017
Was totally bored during 9/10 of the film. Gave it an extra star for the ending which was relatively satisfying
½ July 16, 2017
I loved the fact that this is the first movie which the gore actually has to do with the plot line and not someone just running around with a machete.
The thriller of feeling claustrophobia, an the unknown made the movie great but the add of the "mystery" made it better.
The acting could have been better but the plot made this movie my gory pleasure.
½ July 14, 2017
I am so claustrophobic that I was already terrified long before any creature attacks started.
July 11, 2017
This is horror at its near finest. A feminist pulse glides this intense ride, and we feel every sting of claustrophobia with the ladies. Furthermore, the crawlers provide a brutal obstacle for the crew. What a fine makeup job, I might add. Highly recommended to anyone seeking a gruesome thriller with a sense of depth and character.
June 12, 2017
really creepy and scary horror flick. this is a mixed bag. there is a lot to love. like some of the directing, the claustrophobia in the caves, the suspenseful tone, some beautiful shots, the realistic feel created by not using any unnecessary light in the caves other than the light that the characters are producing. there are also a lot of flaws. while i give it credit for the realism from no extra lighting, it was also annoying at times since i couldn't really see much in some of the scenes. and in a lot of scenes i could barely see what's going on. and a lot of shaky cam was used along with some sloppy editing which also made it hard to see what was happening. and some of the story elements seemed out of place or unnecessary. if it wasn't for these flaws this could have been an amazing movie. still very enjoyable (2 viewings)
May 29, 2017
One of the very best Horror movies I've ever seen. Glad I watched it at home where I could distract myself. I think i the theater I would've gotten a heart attack. Unrelenting fear and horror.
May 24, 2017
A surprisingly scary and wild creature feature! The claustrophobic atmosphere inside the caves was excellent in setting the tone and the all female cast does a really nice job