The Descent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descent Reviews

October 28, 2017
Claustrophobic and well-acted, The Descent takes a while to get going but it exhibits a thoroughly tense atmosphere throughout
October 27, 2017
Extremely Amazing Scenery And Cinematography and the suspense and horror in The Descent is just the cherry on top of a perfect terrifying flick
October 27, 2017
The Descent started to frighten me long before any creatures showed up. This movie plays on multiple fears at the same time and that's what makes it effective. It also takes its time to build up suspense before it gets to the truly gruesome parts. I don't think I'll be going spelunking any time soon after watching this film.
jamrcla
October 27, 2017
Pretty good and well acted, It had a few little jumps but the main horror comes from the claustrophobia and and weird creatures chasing you and it can get very gripping, It had a good ending but it never really tried anything particularly new.
½ October 23, 2017
As good as a horror movie gets. Can't believe it took this long for me to get around to watching it. Real fun stuff. Great gore. Great build up. There's a lot to like. Excellent concept, excellent execution. This movie should forever stand the test of horror-time.
½ October 7, 2017
You won't find a movie in this genre any better. A must see! Unless of course you're very sensitive, claustrophobic or at risk of having a heart attack.
September 8, 2017
Very bloody at times but not as scary as I thought it would be. Still very good though.
½ September 6, 2017
The movie had a great atmosphere,keeping me on edge and making any startling moments worthwhile.Later on it switched to a less desirable more gory style.
August 29, 2017
Was totally bored during 9/10 of the film. Gave it an extra star for the ending which was relatively satisfying
½ July 16, 2017
I loved the fact that this is the first movie which the gore actually has to do with the plot line and not someone just running around with a machete.
The thriller of feeling claustrophobia, an the unknown made the movie great but the add of the "mystery" made it better.
The acting could have been better but the plot made this movie my gory pleasure.
½ July 14, 2017
I am so claustrophobic that I was already terrified long before any creature attacks started.
July 11, 2017
This is horror at its near finest. A feminist pulse glides this intense ride, and we feel every sting of claustrophobia with the ladies. Furthermore, the crawlers provide a brutal obstacle for the crew. What a fine makeup job, I might add. Highly recommended to anyone seeking a gruesome thriller with a sense of depth and character.
June 12, 2017
really creepy and scary horror flick. this is a mixed bag. there is a lot to love. like some of the directing, the claustrophobia in the caves, the suspenseful tone, some beautiful shots, the realistic feel created by not using any unnecessary light in the caves other than the light that the characters are producing. there are also a lot of flaws. while i give it credit for the realism from no extra lighting, it was also annoying at times since i couldn't really see much in some of the scenes. and in a lot of scenes i could barely see what's going on. and a lot of shaky cam was used along with some sloppy editing which also made it hard to see what was happening. and some of the story elements seemed out of place or unnecessary. if it wasn't for these flaws this could have been an amazing movie. still very enjoyable (2 viewings)
May 29, 2017
One of the very best Horror movies I've ever seen. Glad I watched it at home where I could distract myself. I think i the theater I would've gotten a heart attack. Unrelenting fear and horror.
May 24, 2017
A surprisingly scary and wild creature feature! The claustrophobic atmosphere inside the caves was excellent in setting the tone and the all female cast does a really nice job
½ May 15, 2017
The first act was a little slow and the jump scares were really cheap, but the rest of the movie was very claustrophobic and very scary. Definitely worth a watch!
April 26, 2017
Tedious because this movie is similar to so many others of its kind. Good enough
April 7, 2017
Scary and intense. Im a little claustrophobic so this one really touched a nerve
April 1, 2017
"The Descent" is probably the scariest movie of this generation. A very underrated, and misunderstood horror film.
March 20, 2017
pretty good little horror film