The Devil at 4 O'clock Reviews

• Apr 11, 2020

Loved this. What an exception it is. I wasn't expecting much based on it being a disaster film from 1961, with a title suggesting horror rather than action. The characters are fairly diverse, too. I thoroughly enjoyed it all. Spencer Tracy is excellent as Matthew, he brings a lot of heart to the individual. Frank Sinatra is good in his role as Harry, who is accompanied robustly by Marcel (Grégoire Aslan) and Charlie (Bernie Hamilton). Alexander Scourby has a fine part too, portraying The Governor. 'The Devil at 4 O'Clock' paces itself correctly, features decent music from George Duning and, arguably most importantly, has strong humour and action. Also, the special effects have aged, relatively, nicely. If you get the opportunity, you should certainly give it a watch.

• Oct 17, 2015

I'd say you got two nice halves. I like the way they're put together. Three convicts are being transferred to Tahiti to be placed in prison when they get trapped on an island when a volcano erupts. The prisoners volunteer to work with a priest to save some trapped children. The task becomes daunting and more of an effort than any of them could have imagined. "Don't lock the door tonight, Cherie. I'm coming back with a big surprise." Mervyn LeRoy, director of The Bad Seed, Mister Roberts, Gypsy, Home Coming, Little Women (1948), The Heart of New York, and Three on a Match, delivers The Devil at 4 O'clock. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and contains fascinating characters. The script is clever and I enjoyed Frank Sinatra's character. The cast delivers very good performances and includes Kerwin Mathews, BarBara Luna, and Marcel Dalio. "God be with you." "Who is he?" "Search me. Never heard of the man." Netflix recently added a bunch of Frank Sinatra pictures to the online queue so I added them all to my wish list. This was very well done and entertaining. This isn't a classic or must own DVD, per se, but this does have well written and acted characters. I strongly recommend seeing this once if you're fan of classic films. "The mountain belched and is farting again." Grade: B

• Jun 11, 2014

I like Frank better when he's singing!

I like Frank better when he's singing!

• Sep 24, 2013

Frank Sinatra is about as emotional as a brick in this film, however Spencer Tracy,Cathy Lewis,are great, BarBara Luna is excellent as the blind girl, but the bridge scene is so bad,at the end Sinatra goes back to rescue Tracy, but drives there in minuets, despite taking all of the children over a dangerous bridge, Why not use the safe road to start?Also the beam that hits Charlie is so large as it crushes his chest, yet only small scratches are visible, a huge piece of the bridge hitting him, would have killed him instantly

• Mar 23, 2013

A long haul of a film at over 2 hours. Drunken priest Spencer Tracy has lost his faith and is to be replaced by a new priest. He is living on a south seas island which is also highly volcanic.. Also on the island is a leper colony which the priest set up. Stuck on the island are three convicts one of which is Frank Sinatra who falls in love with one of the nurses at the leper colony who happens to be blind. The volcano blows and there begins a dash to rescue the children and there are a few lapses of faith. This is a well made film with some good acting and some average special effects. Fine performances from all especially Bernie Hamilton and also Frank Sinatra showing his excellent acting skills. Long but enjoyable.

• May 31, 2012

The film tries to include several important and moralistic themes, but it is the stern disaster adventure and dominant personalities of Tracy and Sinatra that make the movie.

• Mar 31, 2011

Decent film with great actors. I found the ending to be ridiculous. "watch out the volcano is going to blow".... and it literally blows up taking the whole island with it in some sort of nuclear explosion. It disappeared off the face of the earth. It got me laughing though.

• Jul 10, 2010

Más que ser la predecesora del cine de desastres de los 70s, es una catedra de actuación de Spencer Tracy. Altamente recomendable para quien se fije más en la trama que en los efectos especiales, que por cieto son muy buenos para la época.

• May 15, 2010

Not one of the better Sinatra movies and with Tracy I thought it would be a bit better as well

• Sep 01, 2009

Suspense builds towards the end. Otherwise it is an excuse to see Spencer Tracy and Frank Sinatra in a film together.