Diner Reviews

• Apr 27, 2019

Friday April 26 2019

Friday April 26 2019

• Jan 31, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Dec 08, 2018

Have the pleasure to watch these young ensemble of great actors in "Diner", is death, and I mean it in the best way possible, but what I enjoyed the most is the writing! The dialogs are funny, simple and most importantly they feel real, authentic. Loved the music and settings too. ps: it seems like comedy from all decades is still fun, except the 90s. The 90s sucked.

• Aug 27, 2018

Pretty good classic movie starring Kevin bacon and some other cool guys. Parts of this movie were really slow but some were good. So in the end this is a pretty mediocre movie.

• Aug 20, 2018

The rare movie that you wish didn't end

The rare movie that you wish didn't end

• Jun 09, 2017

Genius, one of the best scripts ever. I always see something new to admire on each viewing.

• Mar 23, 2017

A fun, nostalgic trip to a simpler time. Not much happens, but these guys sitting around talking is infectious and realistic.

• Mar 14, 2017

3/5 Stars. A decent film, if pretty empty of plot. The director admitted he structured it very much like a proto-Seinfeld, where the everyday stuff that goes on is the story in and of itself. That said, it doesn't flow nearly as well and just kind of plods along without much direction. It's meant to be a Guy Film, in that it's primarily about a group of young guys doing young guy stuff: fighting, arguing, chasing girls, driving fast cars, etc. Ironically, I found the most compelling portion of the film to be the scenes involving Mickey Rourke (who is damn near unrecognizable to the modern eye) and Ellen Barkin, as well as the prelude featuring Daniel Stern (Marv from Home Alone, wut), which covered Barkin's character's failing marriage to Stern's and her subsequent comfort found in the arms of Rourke. Barkin's acting in these scenes was superb, I should note. Rourke had been the suave playboy up to this point in the film, and seduced Barkin into having sex with him so as to pay off a debt (long spoiler story), but just as he's about to get her to the apartment, he decides it's wrong. The film does a good job of building Rourke up as fairly unscrupulous, so this comes as a bit of a surprise. A couple of other scenes troll modern cinematic expectations well earlier on (the accident and the knife scenes), which I thought was interesting and meta. One of the highlights of the movie is the authenticity. The cars are classic 1950s, and there is a large slate of songs played mostly via radio that are rather corny by today's standards, but were current then and add to the immersion. Overall, worth a watch if you're into guy movies or period pieces set in the '50s.

• Sep 15, 2016

Nothing happens. There's no real plot, just some minor happenings among the different members of a group of friends. I suppose they hit what 1959 was like and there were some funny parts but the only real reason to watch it is to see an early point of several actors' careers who would become stars.

• Apr 12, 2016

Fun nostalgic journey to 1959. Great early performances from Ellen Barkin, Kevin Bacon, Paul Reiser, Daniel Stern among others.