Uzak (Distant) Reviews

• Aug 18, 2019

The first Nuri Bilge Ceylan film under 2h that I watched (also the only major one under that length) it was also the most challenging. Long silences, long shots. Still, at the end of it I could feel the cold of the human relationships settling in, so it might not be particularly pleasant, but is definitely another job well done.

• Mar 15, 2015

????????????-???????????? ????. ???????? ?????? ??????? ?????? ? ?????? ???????????? ?????.

• Sep 13, 2014

A great movie by Nuri Bilge Ceylan demonstrates the physical and psychological distance between us in life.

• Aug 18, 2014

A meditation of sorts on the distances that people allow to come between them - or that they put there on purpose. Mahmut is a successful commercial photographer in Istanbul who is visited by his "country cousin" recently out-of-work due to a factory closing in their hometown. Age and class differences now separate them but Mahmut is also in a funk due to his recent divorce from his wife (who still contacts him despite being remarried and about to move to Canada). The distance between men and women (although the latter are far and few between) might also be a subtheme here. Yusuf, the cousin, is also unable to find work - his dreams and goals are similarly distant. Ceylan shoots the wintry landscapes and harbor with a sharp eye for stillness and the various hues of grey and blue. His work wins awards though this is a quiet not grandstanding film.

• Aug 11, 2014

????? ???????????, ???????. ???????????.

????? ???????????, ???????. ???????????.

• Jun 29, 2014

Very very slow, maybe some of the time spent watching characters watch tv could have been used to develop them. But the way its done really shows the lifelessness of the characters, brilliantly shot with a message every working person should take on board.

• Jun 22, 2014

The title, which translates to Distant in English is very apt for this drama in which on the surface very little happens but it profoundly captures Mahmut's largely self inflicted isolation. As ever Istabul is a wonderfully cinematic location and is photographed again beautifully here.

• May 22, 2014

the whole film looks like a beautifully taken picture and we enjoy it until the amature and professional actors clash on screen when we add Nuri Bilge Ceylan's badly written dialogs to it , the film turns into a boring mess.

• Apr 16, 2014

wow ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a great movie 2 watch,.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that Feridun Koç, Nazan Kirilmis, Zuhal Gencer Erkaya, Mehmet Emin Toprak (.R.I.P.), Muzaffer ??zdemir, play good roles/parts thorughout this movie.......i think that the director of this art house/international/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.........i think that this is such a beautifully shot movie it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.........i think that this is such a brilliant, beautiful movie 2 watch its such a great movie 2 watch.........i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that Emin Toprak as Yusuf was brilliant throughout this movie.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch...... This was the last film that Emin Toprak made, as soon after the filming of Uzak was completed, he died in a car accident at 28 years old. i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch it is such a beautifully directed movie 2 watch it is a really sad movie 2 watch but its such a beautifully directed movie 2 watch........i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its such a brilliant movie 2 watch its so really well written movie 2 watch its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its so really well acted i think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch its a really slow movie but its such a really sad movie 2 watch its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its such a brilliant movie 2 watch its so really well directed with a great cast throughout this movie its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.......

• Jul 21, 2013

A shorter review this time I'm afraid as time waits for no man (this one in particular it seems). An intriguing write-up led me to this one; I have found several gems this way, particularly foreign language films. For those that have fear of the subtitle, be warned, this one is in Turkish with those dreaded words at the bottom of the screen. Here's one of the briefest summaries I've written, followed by my thoughts. When Yusuf (Emin Toprak) goes to Istanbul, he visits with Mahmut (Muzaffer Özdemir) while he looks for work. The film follows both these men as they look for both meaning and direction in their lives. I first have to say that it is beautifully shot with some truly excellent cinematography. The sound design is quite interesting too, with sounds that would normally be pushed right to the back taking centre stage as the visuals do their work. I thought the performances of the two main characters were excellent but I felt it lacked a bit of direction. The narrative tended to drift along without really finding anything of any substance to bring it to life. Still, I felt it was a worthy effort and worth a look. SteelMonster's verdict: RECOMMENDED My score: 6.7/10 There are extra bits & pieces (photos, links, trailer and BIGGER PRINT) on my blog at: http://thoughtsofasteelmonster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/film-review-uzak-distant-2002.html Enjoy!... :)