Divergent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Divergent Reviews

January 17, 2017
Liked it, though some parts were cheesy. (To be expected from a film geared toward young teenagers).
January 16, 2017
Good movie with good actors
January 2, 2017
Really good, loved it.
December 29, 2016
Amazing. They left out some stuff. Can't wait until Insurgent. Great chemistry.
December 11, 2016
I wouldn't say it was bad but it just seemed to be a paint-by-numbers film. It was just all pretty generic. Out of the post apocalyptic books to films trend, I'd say it's somewhere in the middle, not as interesting as the politics and moral discussion of Hunger Games, but it at least makes more sense than Maze Runner.
½ December 5, 2016
it's a good adaptation of the book with good visual effects
December 4, 2016
This movie was amazing! Though the plot was somewhat predictable, the overall production was great!
November 29, 2016
Really good movie The genre is definitly Sci-fi
November 28, 2016
the book was better but Shai deserves the points
November 27, 2016
I actually really enjoyed watching this movie and insurgent.
It's my favorite movie
it's a awesome Movie
½ November 18, 2016
What a bunch of crap! I wonder who would pick ugly and fat girl to play the lead role...
November 17, 2016
A well-meaning but clichéd YA sci-fi film.
½ October 25, 2016
Divergent, starring Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Miles Teller. Tris(woodley) lives in a futuristic world. Each person enters adulthood. Tris's actions lead to a discovery. It reminds us that humanity is important, and it gives us a good reminder of our individuality. The courage and tenacity backgrounds define who we are. A very strong message is received, Tris doesn't exactly fit into any 5 fictions, meaning she is divergent. Although the language used may not be the best ever, some of the characters are very intelligent but their pride beats them. A 3.5 out of 5 sounds good, it is not faultless but it sure is worth watching.
October 14, 2016
Lite mycket science fiction för min smak.
October 11, 2016
I hope we don't wind up like this, but I think today's society is has this on a subliminal level.
½ October 3, 2016
Book: 4.5 stars
Movie: 2.5 stars

I know a movie (by nature) is going to be different than a book -- but in this case the movie is a disappointment for fans of the book. It feels like an abridged summary of the book (typical of book-to-movie conversion), but then there are so many movie elements that are *ahem divergent from the book that it constantly irritates.

On strictly the merits of the movie, it lacks emotional depth and we don't connect with the characters. The motives behind their actions are not explored enough, leaving caricatures in its wake. You never feel the tension and dread of going through the Dauntless training - it all feels kinda like a typical boot camp with the standard players. In the abbreviated time frame of the movie, there is little time for growth into "fighting machines" and Tris is not believable as a warrior-type ever.

I like some of the casting, and the opening scenes with the Dauntless making their entrance is exhilarating. However, the Movie Tris just looks pretty & cries a lot, and doesn't project that intensely brave, determined 16-year old that overcomes the odds stacked against her. Her true Dauntless mindset is mostly AWOL (to continue within the military mindset) from the movie.

It's a hard job to convert a book where much of the story comes from the internal thoughts of each character. It all has to be projected through the eyes, the emotions and the limited on-screen actions you can show. The casting wasn't bad, but whether the movie script was poor, or the acting choices were just not done well... it never achieves more than today's typical sci-fi YA movie.
September 22, 2016
I enjoyed this film just as I did the book. Shailene Woodley was the perfect casting choice for Tris! Also, this series hits close to home, cus I live right near Chicago
½ September 10, 2016
It's got kind of a dumb premise and takes itself way too seriously (though is at times laughable), plus it's pretty predictable, but Woodley is engaging in the lead role and Winslet is a good villain, even if the character is rather rigid.