Django Unchained - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Django Unchained Reviews

October 26, 2016
Tarantino directs another masterpiece, great acting and story!
½ October 25, 2016
Separated from his wife and send for slave auction in the Deep South two years before the civil war, Django's (Jamie Foxx) brutal history with his former owners captures the attention of German-born bounty hunter Dr. Schultz (Christoph Waltz).

Posing as a dentist, the unorthodox Schultz commandeers Django on his death-march-to-market on the knowing that Django has information on the whereabouts and can personally identify his wanted dead-or-alive current targets, the murderous Brittle brothers.

In return for his cooperation, Schultz offers freedom from slavery and training for a job as the first black bounty hunter. Fixated on finding his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington), Django makes quick work of locating the Brittles earning his freedom and a tidy sum of money.

Instead of going their separate ways, Schultz offers to assist Django in finding and rescuing his wife. Refining Django's hunting skills and providing vital access to information, their search ultimately leads them to the slyly-charming and brutal Mississippi plantation owner, Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio).

Exploring the compound under false pretenses, Django and Schultz arouse the suspicion of Candie's trusted house slave, Stephen (Samuel L. Jackson). Marked and measured, they must choose between independence and solidarity, between sacrifice and survival.

Nominated for five Oscars, iconic writer/ director Quentin Tarantino's first western is an intriguing narrative about life, liberty and the pursuit of vengeance. Tarantino's trademark flair for dramatics and violence sit well in the pseudo-genre.

Waltz once again shines under Tarantino's direction, a true master in the art of line delivery, everything about him screams presence. Jamie Foxx's performance is slightly overdone and calculated almot to the point where it looks as though he is acting, rather than embodying. Jackson (as always) brings a little sparkle to his purpose written characters, adding levity but also insight. Whilst DiCaprio, whom has always had my curiosity (if not my personal taste) finally caught my attention with the perfect balance of smarmy and sneaky, enough so to make me forget it was in fact him.

A major miscalculation in performance however was Tarantino's own cameo. All most as if it was thrown in at the last moment, he attempts to match our own John Jarratt's accent in a bizarre ill-fitting mess of vocal gymnastics that is beyond laughable and detracts attention from the last 15 minutes of suspense.

The Verdict: Although a decent film from one of the most distinctive directors, I wouldn't put Django Unchained even in his top five. Personally, I think my 165 min would have been better spent revisiting cult classic Reservoir Dogs or the unique Inglorious Bastards; and I think other projects will take the Oscars on offer for the same reason.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 08/02/2013
½ October 20, 2016
Tarantino is one of my absolute favourite filmmakers of all time, and, maybe it's just my pessimistic nature, but for a long time now I've been waiting for him to produce a turkey. I thought it might happen with Django Unchained, as slavery is a subject that needs to be handled with care on film and Quentin ain't known for pussyfooting. Yes, the movie is about slavery, but no, the master, Tarantino isn't offensive or crass. He handles the subject with just enough care, showing just how deft he is. This is a very good blood-and-guts western that is so much fun, it made me giggle with delight, and the performances are great, the most notable being Leonardo DiCaprio's, which is nothing short of amazing.
½ October 19, 2016
Bloody, stylish and wickedly funny, Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained reinvents the western genre.
½ October 14, 2016
Even though stretched out by about 20 minutes and an absurd ending, Django Unchained was powerfully acted with an intense story.
½ October 11, 2016
It's Tarantino alright. I personally don't think this is one of his best films, but it's still good. I don't really have too much to criticize about it - although I don't fully like DiCaprio in this - but it just doesn't stick with me as much as some of his others. Not bad, but not his best.
October 5, 2016
The movie is down right a fuckin blast so many quotable moments/lines it's just amazing
October 2, 2016
Riveting throughout the entire film. Incredibly entertaining.
September 30, 2016
One of Tarantino's better films post Jackie Brown. A little long but Waltz, Fox, and DiCaprio make it worth while
September 26, 2016
Over the top in every way but purely entertaining. Django Unchained delivers in the only way Tarantino can by being over the top, gleefully profane and just plain entertaining
½ September 26, 2016
Django Unchained is another masterpiece made by director Quentin Tarantino. Great performances from the cast, lots of great humor, and bloody action.
September 23, 2016
I really enjoyed it. The plot and setting and cinematography were great. Even though the movie was very long it was consistently entertaining and fun. The cast of actors was solid and the action was violent and gritty.
September 21, 2016
The Spaghetti Western for this generation thanks to the great Quentin Tarantino. Jamie Foxx is badass in the role of Django, the slave turned bounty hunter who teams up with a German bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz, who is supposedly a dentist, but hasn't practiced dentistry in over 5 years is played by the brilliant Christoph Waltz who is such a scene stealer that pours out Tarantino's dialogue like poetry. Leonardo DiCaprio is fantastic as Calvin Candie, the Mississippi slave plantation owner (also known as Candieland in the film) who Foxx and Waltz try to rescue Django's wife Broomhilda played by Kerry Washington, who is a lovely and an emotional presence in the film. Watching her and Foxx together again for the first time since "Ray," just proves that they are one of the best on screen couples right next to DiCaprio and Kate Winslet in "Titanic." Samuel L. Jackson is also great as DiCaprio's house slave Stephen, who is without a doubt as Jackson put it himself is probably going to be "One of the most hated Negros in America cinema." But let's not also forget the surprising and good performance by Don Johnson as Big Daddy, one of the slave plantation owners of Tennessee, that Foxx and Waltz trick into thinking they want to by one of his slaves in order to track and kill the three Brittle Brothers that Waltz's character has a bounty out for and also whipped Kerry Washington's character after Foxx's character pleaded with not to at the last plantation that he and his wife were together at before being separated after trying to escape. The soundtrack that Tarantino has created for the film is one of his strongest since "Pulp Fiction" in my opinion.
September 14, 2016
Way too bloody and violent.
September 11, 2016
I have recently decided that Django is my favorite Tarantino flick (sorry Pulp Fiction). This movie is perfectly cast,perfectly written, and perfectly made in every aspect. So many amazing cameos throughout, you will not want to miss a second of this gem.
September 10, 2016
About 40 minutes too long but it's hard to find fault with anything else. Christoph Waltz steals the screen everytime he's on it (and fortunately for us he's on there a lot). Foxx is phenomenal, Leo shows up as always. Samuel L Jackson is great comedic relief. Quentin did a great job here.
September 10, 2016
Django Unchained is another Tarantino classic with great performances by Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio and even greater by Christoph Waltz.
½ September 9, 2016
Tremendously edgy, just the way I like Tarentino. Have watched many times and plant to watch again.
September 8, 2016
Easily my favorite Tarantino film.