Django Unchained - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Django Unchained Reviews

½ March 27, 2017
One of Quentin Tarantino's weakest movies. This movie was saved by Christoph Waltz. Samuel Jackson is annoying as heck in this movie and Jamie Foxx looks ridiculous in that blue outfit that looks too tight and colorful on him. Why did it have to end that way. Though the action scene towards the end is iconic; I didn't like the outcome at the end of the movie.
½ March 17, 2017
Tarantino's obsession with the 'N' word reaches it's nadir, this is one of the worst and most offensive films I've ever seen. That probably makes me sound like a miserable old man, well maybe but QT is an idiot and in desperate need of an editor and a punch in the face.
March 16, 2017
Gave it a watch on opening day, and it was worth the wait and paid off all of my expectations in spite of having some odd tonal shifts here and there. One of the only vases of me watching a film with a smile on my face almost from start to finish.

And I can also report that it holds up well on the re-watch, courtesy of the recent Blu-ray release.

This is great stuff and definitely comes recommended.
February 19, 2017
I just love this movie. I am not a fan of westerns, but you can't not enjoy this film.
February 14, 2017
Already own it love the shit out of it amazing work
½ February 12, 2017
Pathetic, typical of the current sad state of film making. If you love westerns you will hate this piece of trash. Avoid it if you dont want your inteligence insulted.
February 6, 2017
Have you ever wondered why slaves never fought there master or what would happen if they had the chance to. The movie "Django Unchained" explores this idea. It is a story of a slave gaining freedom and ultimately freeing his wife from slavery and in the process takes down a famous slave plantation Candy land. The movie starts with Django being a slave but he is rescued from slavery by a german bounty hunter named Dr Schultz. He practiced dentistry for a while but then became a bounty hunter. He needed Djangos to help him locate the briddle brothers who were slavers. Dr Schultz takes him through this journey and they track down the briddle brother two of which Django himself killed and whipped and before killing one of them he says to the salves "yall wanna see something" and blows his brains out. He is then recruited but the Dr to be a bounty hunter for the winter and the thought of killing white people for money was very interesting to Django. He became very talented in shooting. After the winter he tells Dr Schultz that he wants to free his wife Broomhilda whose name the Dr recognized because of her german name. She ends up being in candy land the famous slave plantation. They go to candyland to save Hilda and they come up with a terrific plan. The plan goes south after they are caught by Mr candy's trusted friend who was a former slave named stephen. Dr schultz is killed but Django get into a big shootout with them and kills a lot of white slavers. He is captured but escapes and comes back to candy and slaughters all the white people in the plantation and also stephen the former slave.
This movie makes me think of what it would have been like if slaves had rebelled and gone out after there master and try to kill them. You can imagine the pain the slaves felt but they never fought back. This movie unleashed the pain the slaves felt to white people in very violent way but get the idea across that slaves at that time would smile and the death of a white man who was their slave owner. The movie makes us think could white people endure the pains black people went through if they were slaves. There a scene where Django had to watch a slave who was refusing to fight being fed to dogs to die and this hits home hard because I could never imagined being in that position. The movie though violent makes you feel, or at least for me a little bit of hatred towards white and in some cases you'll find yourself smiling when Django slaughters all the slavers. I love the setting being the west but the town is greenville tennessee which was a big slave town even after the abolishment of slavery. The movie show the west in the eye of a black man and a foreigner. It shows how america treated the those who were not of the country. Overall the movie is very eye opening and just show that slavery was a very disturbing time in the history of the us and we have come a long way. But we also have a long way to go.

-- Joel C.
½ February 5, 2017
Deep, action orientated with well placed humour.

Worth a watch.
January 28, 2017
don't waste your time. garbage.
½ January 25, 2017
I give the first 2/3 of the movie 5 stars. I loved the characters and the story. I thought the overdose on the spurting blood and gore ruined the authenticity in the last 30 minutes. Still a very unique and good movie.
½ January 25, 2017
I love certain Western films and this one of them. Django starting as a man in chains, and ending as the badass. With Waltz and Leo adding to the brilliance. I love this film.
½ January 22, 2017
Nothing new here. Go watch GOODBYE UNCLE TOM instead. Franco Nero is the only Django as far as I'm concerned.
½ January 4, 2017
Like all of the best pop art, Tarantino's film is both seriously entertaining and seriously thoughtful, rattling the cage of race in America on-screen and off. What Tarantino has is an appreciation for gut-level exploitation film appeal, combined with an artist's desire to transform that gut element with something higher, better, more daring. His films challenge taboos in our society in the most direct possible way, and at the same time add an element of parody or satire. The film doesn't play it safe, so neither will I. Instead, I'll say that it finds Mr. Tarantino perched improbably but securely on the top of a production that's wildly extravagant, ferociously violent, ludicrously lurid and outrageously entertaining, yet also, remarkably, very much about the pernicious lunacy of racism and, yes, slavery's singular horrors. The most consistently entertaining movie of 2012. It's 165 minutes long and shouldn't be a minute shorter, a film of surprises, both in story and in casting, and of moments of agonizing, teased-out tension. Like "Inglourious Basterds," Django Unchained is crazily entertaining, brazenly irresponsible and also ethically serious in a way that is entirely consistent with its playfulness. The dialogue is dazzling. Bold, bloody, and stylistically daring, Django Unchained is another incendiary masterpiece from Quentin Tarantino.

VERDICT: "Instant Classic" - [Positively Acclaimed Reaction] Usually I give this rating to a movie that I believe is absolutely outstanding and has little to no flaws in it. Audiences, who haven't seen this film, must see it right now! (Films that are rated 4.5 or 5 stars)
½ January 3, 2017
Loses a star for unrealistic bloodletting. Quentin they weren't shooting cannons they just were revolvers...I mean really. But it is a great Tarantino romp through and through. The acting is stellar and the script is fascinating. Love me a great Tarantino movie. He never has a boring moment. Sexy as hell, his movies are.
½ January 3, 2017
Funny, bloody, and a very fun plot. Well executed acting and directing, and the soundtrack rocks
January 2, 2017
The best Tarantino movie!
½ January 2, 2017
Very, very, very good film. I'd been putting it off due to its running time, but found some time to watch it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Typically Tarantino snappy dialogue and bloody shoot-outs, but interesting story and characters, too.
December 31, 2016
My favourite Tarantino film. Waltz and DiCaprio are superb, and I love the dialogue.
December 31, 2016
This film is a masterpiece. Thouroughly entertaining from beginning to end. The best western since Unforgiven. Any Tarantino fan will not be disapointed. Whilst the film has received criticism for its use of the 'N' word and brutal scenes of violence. It is clearly, in my opinion, unjustified. It seems completely appropriate given the context in which the film is set. In any event, you only have to listen to a rap song to see how frequently the 'N' word is used. This movie is a must see.
December 28, 2016
Bloody western about slavery and vengeance directed by Mr. Tarantino.