Dodgeball - A True Underdog Story Reviews

• Mar 06, 2020

2004: A gym owner leads a team of gym friends into entering a dodgeball tournament to pay off debts and to keep from an arrogant fellow gym owner from taking over his place. This has a similar theme as many other sports movies (underdog rises to victory), but this is a very likable, fun movie. It appears that the actors had a wonderful time making this film. The performances are great. Ben Stiller really hams it up as the obnoxious rival gym owner Gary Cole and Jason Bateman are great as the volleyball tournament TV announcers. Enjoyable. Stars: Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Christine Taylor, and Rip Torn. (Stiller and Taylor were married when the film was made. Taylor and Gary Cole both appeared in the two "Brady Bunch" movies (as Marcia and Mike Brady). Nice cameos by Chuck Norris, Lance Armstrong, David Hasselhoff, and William Shatner.

• Feb 05, 2020

A good little film. A worthy successor to the goofy late 70s and early 80s funny films. I also like dogeball so of course I had to like this film. And some of the characters are even a little relatable. I wont say which. At the end when Peter wins the big chest of money on the chest is written the words "Deus ex Machina." So at least the film maker was unashamedly self aware. Cant blame em for rapping up a feel good story neatly. Ben Stiller's performance is note worthy here. "STEVE THE PIRATE.. SCURVY"

• Feb 01, 2020

This movie is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller, and the rest of the cast were hilarious in this movie and the plot had a bit of a twist at the end. There are a lot of scenes in this movie that will make you laugh you ass off. Go see this movie if you haven't yet. It's worth it.

• Jan 15, 2020

An outrageous comedy full of endearing and eccentric characters. Rawson Marshall Thurber's sports comedy Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) is an insane comedy full of straightforward plot, nonsensical jokes, clever scriptwriting, and memorable lines. So the reality is that Dodgeball has not aged well as it features plenty of offensive material such as sexism, racism, homophobia, Vince Vaughn, Chuck Norris, and Lance Armstrong. However, all the comedic performances surrounding these aspects are hilarious. Dodgeball still makes me laugh incessantly with constant dosing of humor in its brisk 92 minute run-time. The jokes compound in humor as repeated jokes just get funnier the second and third times. Thurberg's script tears apart toxic masculinity, corporate takeovers, training montages, sexual harassment, and the underdog sports genre in general. His direction is so quickfire that before you can think too much about how ridiculous it all is, he whisks you away to the next joke so fast that you're too busy having fun to care. Jerzy Zielinski's cinematography is pretty killer with fast paced dodgeball action completely coherent and easy to follow thanks to his striking visual choices. Ben Stiller ascends to comedic god level in this movie as a lecherous gym owner named White Goodman who is out to crush the competition for petty personal reasons. His outgoing personality and intense performance is so entertaining that he practically carries the entire movie Dodgeball. Likewise, Rip Torn is so unbelievably funny as a jaded old dodgeball expert called Patches O'Houlihan who whips wrenches at the protagonists and utters the most heinous dialogue in the film. His quotes are so funny and memorable that I will not spoil a second of them. Vince Vaughn is as sleazy and sexist as Stiller's character in Dodgeball, but he's tolerable here for the first time in his career. Vaughn is good here delivering dry wit and heavy sarcasm with a nonchalant attitude that's a fun foil for Ben Stiller's off the wall role. Vaughn's Peter La Fleur is nice to his friends and believably executes the warmhearted message of Dodgeball to just be yourself, be true to your friends, be comfortable in your own body, and try to stay healthy for your own sake. I really like Christine Taylor as the bank lawyer Kate Veatch, who is forced to encounter both sexist men of Goodman and La Fleur. She puts on a brave face while enduring endless flirtations, harassment, and jokes at her expense, only to come out as a cool fit girl that kicks even more butt at dodgeball than her teammates. Justin Long is funny getting hurt and embarrassed at every opportunity as the pathetic and uncoordinated Justin. Stephen Root is great as a spineless sports nerd whose mail order wife couldn't care less about him. Joel David Moore is wonderful as the clueless Owen who longs for love. Chris Williams gets many humorous comments as Dwight. Alan Tudyk is both hilarious and heartfelt as Steve the Pirate. His bits prove that Dodgeball cares about its characters and themes. Missi Pyle is very funny as the professional dodgeball monster Fran. Jamal Duff gets several hilarious moments as Stiller's sidekick Me'Shell Jones. Gary Cole and Jason Bateman cameo with iconic announcer characters Cotton McKnight and Pepper Brooks. Hank Azaria gets a delightful cameo as Young Patches O'Houlihan. Lance Armstrong gets a sweet motivational cameo that is funny at first, then you remember that he cheated to get back to racing and the facade falls away. Noted Republicans Chuck Norris and Vince Vaughn being in this great comedy still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. William Shatner gets a small role as the Dodgeball Chancellor and David Hasslehoff has a hilarious cameo as the German dodgeball team's coach. In short, I know Dodgeball sucks, but boy do I laugh throughout this entire movie.

• Jan 12, 2020

Ben Stiller's comedies have been successful but I feel are still culturally underrated. I think its because he mixes in comparably fine-art movies and dilutes his comedy brand. That's a good thing for sure. Still, I'm so thankful that "Mystery Men", "Zoolander", "Tropical Thunder" and "Dodgeball" exist in the world. I'm sure there's more to add to this list of funny comedies but I don't feel like opening another browser tab.

• Dec 31, 2019

I really didn't like this movie. It's just way to stupid and not very funny, but that's just my opinion. 16%

• Dec 14, 2019

Loved It......nobody makes me bleed my own blood...

Loved It......nobody makes me bleed my own blood...

• Nov 11, 2019

The movie has plenty of humor to make for a decent comedy, but this film did not age well. 6.0/10

• Oct 21, 2019

Rewatched for the first time in a while, still funny but not as hilarious as I remember.

• Oct 16, 2019

So funny and the comedy doesn't age. Still hilarious almost 20 years on. With a nice message too.