Dongdong de jiaqi (A Summer at Grandpa's) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dongdong de jiaqi (A Summer at Grandpa's) Reviews

½ February 11, 2015
This beautiful film was very interesting to watch for many reasons. first of all it's a unique insight in the Taiwanese world which I was completely foreign with. Second of all it's a film that plays on small details and emotions, telling a coming of age story between two siblings, each finding new territories to explore during the summer they spent at their grandparent's home. The little girl is a riot and she is incredibly stubborn and charismatic for her age. The film is very well shot and manages to play both on visual and symbolic tones. H.H. Hou is a master director and this film shows how much possibilities the Asian cinema holds. Far from the grand scale of our western films, this little gem is all about details and time passing.... we are only the witness of a story played by two kids growing and discovering a world beyond their own. Beautiful.
December 17, 2011
that uncle was a damn fool!
May 18, 2010
??許??侯???好???????????年代忠實?????樸????????????島嶼走????主義社????影??使???人??人?????????????漸走??崩解?????????家??種種?歷??許????中似??????????迴?????人???????????夢幻?????滿???使?????滿???農???????????????????????????????
½ May 10, 2010
Not as good as its predecessor 'All the youthful days', but still an enjoyable film from the great Hou Hsiao Hsien. This one feels more like a Japanese art film than any other work by this Taiwanese director. Half comedy/half melodrama, the films tells a story of a family going to the countryside in the anticipation of operation that can either kill or save their ill mother. Personally, I like Hou's later, more sinister stuff more.
January 22, 2010
I've been getting a bit tired of coming-of-age films, and not especially thrilled with Hou to begin with, but I liked this anyway. It's more accessible than A Time to Live, and I don't mean "accessible" in a snobby way. I mean it didn't put me to sleep. if you want to go looking for metaphors, you can find plenty, but I think it's meant to be exactly what it is: a simple, honest, genuine snapshot of childhood, and family life through the eyes of children. Quite nice.
½ November 12, 2009
Screenwriter Chu Tien-wen's childhood memories turns into a light coming of age-story under Hou Hsiao-hsien's sure direction. A Summer at Grandpa's is often tendentiously cute and on the verge of sentimental at times, but by stressing the child's point of view to the extreme, making the adult world seem aptly incomprehensible and aloof, Hou manages to get away with it.
April 20, 2008
Pretty bland in terms of style as the shots are very short compared to Hou's other films, although his signature framing and camera placement is already evident here. It's a coming of age story that deals with adult themes and is never sentimental. The film manages to show the confusions of life at such a young age as the child protagonists are exposed to the adult world. Overall a pretty good film for Hou beginners.