Donnie Brasco - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donnie Brasco Reviews

½ November 27, 2016
Depp and Pacino's acting is what makes this film. A unique take on the mafia
½ November 10, 2016
Not a highlight, but a chilling movie to watch !
½ September 6, 2016
Carried by great performances from Johnny Depp and Al Pacino
September 1, 2016
Outstanding at times but has some weird supporting cast her and there!
July 26, 2016
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time.
July 25, 2016
Now nearly 20 years old, this is likely the best Al Pacino mob movie you never saw.Each of the 16 roughly 10 minute chapters seemed polished and complete on its own, like episodes of Sopranos (which came only 2 years later and seemed to borrow from this format).
½ July 18, 2016
Completely forgettable. Not a single scene from this movie stands out to me.
½ July 16, 2016
I film I've watched many times and perhaps some of these gangster movies are set within a decade now, but still makes good viewing and of course it is based upon a true story.
July 2, 2016
Watching Johnny Depp as the lead character, an FBI agent who goes undercover to infiltrate the mob, I have to wonder why he isn't considered one of our greatest film actors of all time. Especially playing opposite Al Pacino in one of his greatest film roles.

Then I remember the acting flubs the adventuresome Depp has had in recent years (Black Mass is an exception).

This is meticulously well told story. Unlike many other mob movies, this film deglamorizes wise guy life.
May 28, 2016
one of the best movies baest on a true story
May 23, 2016
This true to life mobster thriller is bolstered by excellent performances from Depp, Pacino and Madsen. One to watch for mafia fans.
May 23, 2016
Great real-life mafia film. Lots of great performances and a compelling story, and largely rewatchable, in my experience. Unfortunately, like Pacino's character Lefty, it is relegated to second banana against greater films like Goodfellas because, also like Lefty, it does its job but doesn't go all the way. That's not to say it's a bad film; a real-life story with a phony ending would have been worse. However, the real-life reality is that Joseph Pistone's case was pulled before a dramatic real-life tragedy could have occurred, preventing an ending that would have been more cinematically dramatic. Not a flawed film by any means (except maybe the soundtrack), and definitely worth watching for any fans of the organized crime/cop genre.
May 9, 2016
Al Pacino e Johnny Depp juntos já é razão para se ver o filme. A história chega a cativar em alguns momentos não dando no entanto para ser um filme fantástico
½ April 26, 2016
A great character study which I found much more powerful than the Godfather movies.
March 16, 2016
One of the best gangster movies of all time!
½ February 27, 2016
Characters/Acting was better than the film/story/narrative.
½ January 8, 2016
Uniting one of Hollywood's greatest talents with one of its biggest stars, Donnie Brasco takes us deep into the heart of the Mafia, and into the mind of a character who is tasked with infiltrating it. With the allure of the underworld drawing him in, our hero becomes increasingly torn between his loyalty to the mob and his allegiance to his country. Depp gives a controlled but intense performance and never goes over the top. Pacino keeps his famous madness in check, delivering an enjoyable turn as the fatherly figure, even if his dialogue is unintelligible in several scenes. I found much of it to be too slackly paced and lacking in action, and didn't get to like any of the side characters. But the story is strong, as are the performances, and from what I've heard it's very faithful to real life. It didn't do much for me, but has too many fine points to ignore.
December 15, 2015
Amusing little film, nothing special but keeps you watching. Pacino and Depp worked well together though the two acting styles clashed a bit
December 13, 2015
Donnie Brasco is a fascinating look at the decline of an agent as he becomes more entangled in the mafia and the softening of an old criminal as he warms up to a new friend. The interplay between Al Pacino and Johnny Depp was fantastic and their character development alone is reason enough to watch the movie. The action is sharp, the story is slick and violent. Donnie Brasco is a fun movie to watch that also carries a lot of depth and emotion too.
½ December 6, 2015
It took quite some time to get to the greatness of this film.