Don't Be Afraid of the Dark Reviews

• Oct 05, 2019

For a 70s film, it's chilling from the bleak imagery shading the nice production merits from the make-up department to the relied performative efforts, furthering whatever effects it had successfully mustered under such limited scale, even though the fear factor's fright understandably aged to acceptably not meet the grown expectations but stand as influential. (B)

• Aug 10, 2016

I saw this movie as a child on TV in the early 1970's and NEVER forgot as it scared me for many years. I even remember eating Morel Mushrooms that my friend Jay Bailey and I, had picked the previous couple days after school and his mother breaded & fried them. It was so traumatic I remember watching and eating, with elbows on a pillow and sleeping bag while I was eating those mushrooms. That time is etched into my memory. Especially when they are dragging her down and she uses a flashbulb on camera that she pulls off an end table or some such to try and get away and the husband trying to get it the house but cannot until it's too late. I would like to see it again to see if what is in my memory is accurate.

• Jul 10, 2016

This is one of my all time favorite horror films. And has to be one of the best made for tv horror films ever. Make sure you watch this at night it makes the film even more creepy.

• Jun 22, 2016

stupid but oddly compelling

stupid but oddly compelling

• Nov 01, 2015

A decent traditional horror.

A decent traditional horror.

• Mar 20, 2015

Suspense and Fear...great Movie.

Suspense and Fear...great Movie.

• Jan 30, 2015

What a sadistically weird movie this was! Have you ever thought you saw something out of the corner of your eye, but when you looked directly at it, it wasn't there? Of course, it was in the shadows, so if it really WERE there, you wouldn't know for sure, would you? That's what this movie is about... Things that go bump in the night can be very scary--Super-effective and this film proves you don't need a huge budget to make a very good movie. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, My Ass, Be Very afraid, Very, Very Afraid... Old School Scary!!

• Aug 06, 2014

A classic little creepy that I much prefer to the underwhelming remake. The movie hasn't aged amazingly well but overall it's still nice and eerie for fans of the genre.

• May 05, 2014

I really like this movie. It's actually good for a TV movie. It's also a lot better than the remake.

• Mar 26, 2014

Creepy low-budget horror that does enough to provide a scare.

Creepy low-budget horror that does enough to provide a scare.