Don't Think Twice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Think Twice Reviews

March 22, 2017
Viewing this with a love of small theater, improv, and the artistic families we have experienced sure contributed to my love of this film; but clearly it stands on its own as a perfectly blended ensemble story.
March 19, 2017
Great movie, good story but its not worth a 99% rating either. Rotten Tomatoes is ridiculously biased lol. This is a great film tho
March 3, 2017
Slow, dry, could not relate to the characters.
March 3, 2017
When it comes to films revolving around the film or television business, most of them choose to focus on one aspect alone, leaving out some of the behind-the-scenes aspects that many studios probably don't want you to know. In the case of Don't Think Twice, it doesn't follow the ways of say La La Land or Super 8. Those examples may not be the greatest, but this is a film that isn't afraid to explicitly show that, no matter how much passion you have for acting, making it big just isn't meant for everyone. Don't Think Twice is a big slap in the face for dreamers who hope to become actors/actresses one day, but in the best way possible. Funny, charming, and eye-opening, this is why I believe Don't Think Twice is worth your time.

Following a group of imrov performers as they hold shows on a weekly basis in order to get recognition by a television show called Weekend Live, which is pretty much this film's version of Saturday Night Live, the film quickly becomes a reminder that fame can't be for everyone. As one of the members of their group (Jack, played by Keegan-Michael Key) is chosen as the newest cast member of Weekend Live, his friend whom he acts with every week soon become jealous. The fact that he can't do anything for them from the inside also begins a feud between them, making this more dramatic than anything. Filled with some very clever humour and some great improv scenes, this film is all about selling great characters, which leads me up to my biggest issue.

In no way did any of these characters bother me, in fact I quite enjoyed ever time any of them were on-screen together. That being said, when certain characters are featured on their own for an extended period of time, it seems to slightly forget about some of the other players, almost as if they were not as important to the story, which kind of goes against the core story in the first place. Ensembles have always been difficult to grasp. Whether you have a successful balance in films like #TheAvengers or #OceansEleven, there will always be a film like #SuicideSquad that is much more unbalanced. This is the prime example of a film with great characters that aren't explored enough. Having said that, the ones who are make this film really enjoyable.

This is a film about people who are great at improv, so as long as there are some satisfying moments that showcase some great improv and there are some great jokes sprinkled throughout the film, I knew I was going to enjoy it, and enjoy it I did. This really is a very solid film and any time it was focussing on the characters of Jack and Samantha, I was very curious to see where they were going to end up, due to the fact that different career paths may be separating them. This is a very, very good film with many solid performances and some terrific messages about show business.

In the end, would I recommend this film to a mass audience? Yes I would. It's more for an audience that enjoys a dramatic turn in an otherwise comedic film, but fans of television shows like Saturday Night Live or Friends will probably have a great time watching Don't Think Twice. The irony is that it makes you think twice about your career path, especially if you are into show business. Well-written, well-directed, and well-performed, there really isn't much to dislike about this film, but I wish it had been ten to twenty minutes longer, leaving a bit more room for character development, which is a big problem for me when I watch films. Overall, I had a blast watching this film and I definitely recommend checking it out. It went under the radar after its festival runs, so this may be one of those cult classic comedies.
½ March 2, 2017
Mike Birbiglia thinks improvisers are a non-stop trip to unfunny annoyance. Scattered moments of poignance and a stellar cast cans save this mess. This is improv's "Punchline" with less accuracy.
½ February 26, 2017
So many good laughs. Love improv, and love the cast.
½ February 19, 2017
okay rotten tomatoes,this movie is way overrated by the critic on your website...it's a good,solid dramedy (I don't even get why some critics say it's hilarious...it is not) but it is a clever film about the improv scene in NY.very well made. worth watching if you are a comedy nerd....otherwise it's a pass.
½ February 17, 2017
7.4/10

~February 17, 2017~
February 16, 2017
An unfunny, incomprehensible, awkward film that felt like a college project.
½ February 16, 2017
Made me want to take up improv again, really nice movie with a heart
February 16, 2017
very funny, very moving, very genuine.
February 13, 2017
Another hilarious, honest and heartbreaking story from Mike Birbiglia. A beautiful portrayal of broken dreams, broken friendships, and broken people, just like us all.
February 11, 2017
It does an admirable job of letting its players vulnerably share their human truths, but from such an insular, petulant world that it can be hard to connect to them.
February 10, 2017
An honest and genuine movie that brought with it some great laughs but also posed some good questions about pursuing your dreams. Keegan does a great job of bringing this movie to its full potential.
½ February 6, 2017
It's a good movie, but it's nothing great either.
½ February 5, 2017
Great movie if you are an improv or comedy geek; but even if you are, it's still pretty depressing.
February 4, 2017
Struggling comedians should appreciate this movie.
February 4, 2017
What I liked most about this easy going drama about comedy is that its not afraid to be a little uncomfortable. Characters say how they really feel, then try to laugh it off with a joke afterwards. Or the tight knit group always mocks the other, in this story about six friends who live together, dine together, improve together. The status quo is dropped when one member finds success, and it shakes up the dreams and realities of the other members. Some may not like this film, but I loved it. I got into the characters and it was very good in terms of chemistry, writing, and the story that doesn't get tapped too much. (the world of acting/writing comedy) There is a tinge of bittersweet in the ending, but I felt this movie was a perfect mix of pathos and saccharine sweetness.
February 2, 2017
I had a "particularly bad day" the day I rented this movie. Didn't laugh a single time. Plot was boring, stale, acting was pedestrian. Imrov scenes made me cringe. The improv team at my HS was 10x funnier. There's no way in h&$!! this deserves 99%.
January 29, 2017
Wonderful movie, give a seemingly real depiction of what it would be like for comedians to try to get on SNL. Probably more enjoyable for those who are interested in the inner working of the entertainment business.