Don't Think Twice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Think Twice Reviews

½ July 22, 2017
Where to begin? Oh yes-THIS MOVIE IS NOT A COMEDY; IT'S A DRAMA/TRAGEDY. Perhaps this film has some scientific value as a determinative cause of brain atrophy.
July 22, 2017
It's different. More of a drama then a comedy. Started off slow but warmed up towards the end. Worth 90 min of your time.
July 22, 2017
It was okay. Maybe I should watch again. But it didn't hold my attention.
July 10, 2017
made it twenty minutes in and changed it.
July 10, 2017
A delicate, aspiring and comedic journey of friends who are put to the test by unwelcomed winds of change.
July 8, 2017
This movie affected me in more ways than I imagined. It was funny but also true and powerful. Great story and has all the feels.
½ July 2, 2017
I really liked this movie! All of the characters are so authentic and the plot is very real. It was funny, awkward, frustrating (in a good way) and heart touching. I would definitely watch it again.
June 25, 2017
Funny, heart wrenching and emotional, this film brings you into the minds of aspiring artists in a visceral way. While not every narrative turn seems real, the emotion and sentiments are, and that, ultimately, is what packs the biggest punch.
½ June 25, 2017
A very nice Dramedy about the dangers success can have on relationships with both your significant other and your friends. All of the actors killed it. It is funny but the film never strives to be a flat out comedy. The dramatic elements in here are what make it so good. Worth a watch
½ June 16, 2017
An insightful and honest look at the lives of improv comedians.
½ June 16, 2017
Despite being, seemingly, billed as a comedy and actually being one of the most relentlessly sad and depressing films i've seen in a while it is, non the less, pretty good. Just not at all what i was prepared for.
½ June 13, 2017
I was pretty excited to see Don?t Think Twice. I had heard it was quite good, and I?m an avid fan of improv comedy. I guess I expected it would be a fun look at the inner workings of improv troupes and how things change when one of them is given a bigger opportunity. Sadly, I struggled a lot with this film, even though I think there was massive potential. The cast was great, the interactions between them all seemed genuine, and I thought the plot was authentic (almost as if it had actually happened to Mike Birbiglia.) The problem is...Don?t Think Twice lacks joy. It?s ironic, for a movie loaded with characters who are comedians, that they didn?t offer much opportunity to simply make us laugh. The improv scenes are stilted and always cut short, with the exception of one that is left in for a good reason. I wanted those moments to chuckle irreverently and enjoy what they do as a team. This would have made me care about them more, and I would have invested more emotionally in the idea of them staying together. Instead the movie gets into drama relatively early and I find myself discouraged instead of having fun. The whole film wasn?t a failure because the acting is strong and there are a few big poignant moments, but I largely found it underwhelming.
June 12, 2017
The cold hard reality of showbiz and growing up.
½ June 9, 2017
As the former captain of a high school and middle school improv team ranked first place in our state, I do have to say that this movie hits very close to home, except for the actual improv its self. Their shows are based mostly on making up scenes and their shows are low energy and very beginner level, using very basic forms of yes and whilst never really reaching any conflict resolution or playing more interesting games. With that being said, the rest of the movie and what goes on within the shows is what makes this movie so brilliant. Even though it is all improvised, many members of the troupe are asked to repeat characters and their internal conflict with the spotlight is all too accurate. They manage to play to each others strengths and weaknesses beautifully and it highlights that quite well. And with Jacks sudden absence from the team, things can fall apart rather easily, and although they may be missing a member, the team dynamic stills stays strong even after his leave. And as far as the offstage bits, they were pleasant and charming to see them all living together, "Friends" style. Just like with improv, sometimes life imitates art more than art imitates life.
½ June 8, 2017
This is the only film where I haven't seen Keegan Michael Key as... Keegan Michael Key. And I think that says something
June 6, 2017
Yeah I won't think twice about watching this movie again.
½ June 6, 2017
I love Mike Birbiglia's stand up and his sense of humor and sense of the world come across here in this definitive look into a performer's life. You're always happy when your colleagues/ friends succeed but there's always those moments you think "Why not me?" Gillian Jacobs deserves award consideration. She will someday. Oh and it's funny as fuck.
½ June 5, 2017
Comedia? Dónde?
-------------------------
Comedy? Where?
June 4, 2017
Compact and light ensemble piece with surprisingly well drawn characters.
June 2, 2017
I stumbled upon this film after seeing it have a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, and also because of the stacked cast of capable comedians. I'm a big fan of Key & Peele so I am very fond of Keegan-Michael Key. I'm also a fan of the show Community, so I am aware of Gillian Jacobs as well. What we get with this emotional roller coaster is very sincere moments mixed with smart, clever writing. Every character is lovable, and they all have great development. Keegan steals the show as usual, but that shouldn't take away from how phenomenal the rest of the cast was as well. Mike Birbiglia directs, writes, produces, and stars in this film, so everything was on him, and he gives us a very fine dramedy. There are a few things I would've tweaked here and there, but in the end I found myself caring about these characters and how they interacted with each other which is the sole purpose of the film.