Don't Think Twice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Think Twice Reviews

February 26, 2018
Strengths: Mike Birbiglia did a great job as both the writer and director of this film. His direction was well done, while the writing was consistently sharp and moving. Each of the characters in the group feels completely formed. They're more like real people than characters, actually. The actors all brought it. Keegan-Michael Kay (Jack) was fine, while Gillian Jacobs (Samantha) steals the show. Her character gets a lot of great material and she does very well with all of it. It's the best work I've seen from her. Birbiglia (Miles) also acts and probably has the second best performance. The entire film works as a great look into the life of a comedian. It's not something that gets tackled in this kind of realistic light very often.

Weaknesses: It doesn't really work as a comedy. While some of the improve scenes made me laugh a bit, this is much closer to a drama. There are some flat out sad, almost depressing scenes. Though I appreciated how real the characters felt, none of them really came across as likable. Some parts of the movie also kind of drag, making this feel a lot longer than its 92 minute runtime.

Overall: Don't go into this expecting a bunch of laughs, because you'll be disappointed. Instead, understand that it is a character drama. The characters get well-rounded arcs for the most part and there's real emotion behind the stories.
February 24, 2018
Not just a comedy. Real characters, life-altering changes. Love-affirming.
February 21, 2018
Don't Think Twice. Pretty good movie. A little sad at times, but it tackled real emotions. I recommend a watch. It's on Netflix!
February 5, 2018
Horrible. I was so looking forward to this after the push on This American Life. It was just so bad, not funny, bad acting. Most characters are barely likeable. Did not laugh once. :( Very disappointing.
January 27, 2018
Sad. Awkward. Not as advertised
January 23, 2018
Such an honest, open look at love, life and what can happen in a funny group of people as they grow.
January 5, 2018
I was very disapointed when I tried to watch this - the preview sold this as a heart based comedy, but actually, its depressing.  I didn't finish it.  The formula of luring the audience  in with some humour at the start before it gets serious is just old.  I would recommend something funny and heart warming in its place though for those searching - The Intouchables
½ December 21, 2017
"Don't Think Twice" is a genuine look into the lives of comedians trying to make it big. It is a touching movie with subtly funny moments. I felt all of the actors did a great job here and their characters felt like real people just talking. The chemistry and conflict among them are established early on and is always convincing. It's a heartfelt and well-made movie that I really enjoyed. I did think some moments where the characters were portraying improv felt a bit over the top but I think that also added to the realism of the movie. It hits all the right dramatic notes and most of the comedic notes.
December 16, 2017
Endearing ode to improv
December 8, 2017
A deeply sincere and literate coming-of-age tale.
½ October 10, 2017
This isn?t a bad movie but watching it has been one of the most boring experiences of my life. There?s hardly a plot to go on and the actors are incredibly awkward. I can?t comprehend the critics? score and the positive reviews for I barely made it through one hour.
½ October 5, 2017
It's okay. It's okay... Those two simple, but powerful words perfectly sum up "Don't Think Twice." We can spend a lifetime pouring our blood, sweat, and tears into something we want so badly, but sometimes it's just not enough and that's okay. This dramedy is a true coming of age drama where these improv comedians suddenly see their lives going in different directions and an end of an era looming. An era that must be put in the past in order to realize the life that awaits.
½ October 5, 2017
i wanted it to be better. If it had vetter character building, i would have cared more
October 2, 2017
None of the characters were likable and nothing about it was funny.
September 29, 2017
Heartfelt and funny.
September 28, 2017
Pretty good movie! Great acting, great plot, and pretty funny! There were a few parts I disliked, like Chris Gethard's character's dad's death not phasing him or his friends. It's weird that there were little emotions displayed. I thought it was a very realistic movie about reflection around age 30 and moving on from the past.
½ September 21, 2017
Great movie. The plot is pretty unique in exploring the troubling life of a comedian (specifically improv), the humor is smart and outrageous, the characters and their lives are deep and moving, and the performances are all superb.
½ September 17, 2017
I had hopes of it being a lot funnier since the cast was iron clad. However, it was a truly genuine feel-good flick. Much like it's characters, this film is a severely underrated, rare gem.
½ September 9, 2017
The life of a comedian. It's something many people marvel at but don't necessarily understand. There are comedian actors, there are actors who are just funny, there are comedians who try to act, and then there are actual comedians. Strictly speaking...truly funny people. Mike Birbiglia is definitely the latter. Sure he's acted in a few things, but his strong suit is writing and directing, so with Don't Think Twice, he offers up a real earnest look at the life of a comedian.

The movie uses a parallel Saturday Night Live to show us how a small troupe of friends and comedians work together to help the group succeed while also looking out for themselves. Keegan-Michael Key takes the lead role as the individual who shines a bit brighter than the rest of the crew, but it's also about a how individual members of the troupe allow their strengths to take them down a path they would succeed in the most. Just because Key's character becomes the big star doesn't mean the other characters are suffering or aren't as good at what they do. Their path just varies slightly from being in the spotlight.
September 4, 2017
Movie shows you a glimpse of what it's like to be a comedy actor in New York. I love how they portrayed spot on the annoying "always acting" actors. Fun flick