Don't Think Twice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Think Twice Reviews

½ September 17, 2017
I had hopes of it being a lot funnier since the cast was iron clad. However, it was a truly genuine feel-good flick. Much like it's characters, this film is a severely underrated, rare gem.
½ September 9, 2017
The life of a comedian. It's something many people marvel at but don't necessarily understand. There are comedian actors, there are actors who are just funny, there are comedians who try to act, and then there are actual comedians. Strictly speaking...truly funny people. Mike Birbiglia is definitely the latter. Sure he's acted in a few things, but his strong suit is writing and directing, so with Don't Think Twice, he offers up a real earnest look at the life of a comedian.

The movie uses a parallel Saturday Night Live to show us how a small troupe of friends and comedians work together to help the group succeed while also looking out for themselves. Keegan-Michael Key takes the lead role as the individual who shines a bit brighter than the rest of the crew, but it's also about a how individual members of the troupe allow their strengths to take them down a path they would succeed in the most. Just because Key's character becomes the big star doesn't mean the other characters are suffering or aren't as good at what they do. Their path just varies slightly from being in the spotlight.
September 4, 2017
Movie shows you a glimpse of what it's like to be a comedy actor in New York. I love how they portrayed spot on the annoying "always acting" actors. Fun flick
August 28, 2017
Good ensemble story of how a struggling comedy improv group functions
½ August 27, 2017
A delicate, aspiring and comedic journey of friends who are put to the test by unwelcomed winds of change.
½ August 25, 2017
A charming and beautiful human story about community, success, friendship, and the danger in following your dream.
August 22, 2017
A real yawner...some poignant moments, but for the most part...just lame.
August 17, 2017
An unfunny, incomprehensible, awkward film that felt like a college project.
½ August 15, 2017
Despite being about comedians, this is not a comedy. Nor is it the kind of film that makes you give a damn about the characters because despite trying to convince the audience that they are nice, passionate actorsi n a comedic troupe of friends, they really are selfish no-talents. Like the terrible "thank youuu" joke referring to a dying man, this film is cringy from beginning to end
½ August 7, 2017
Bittersweet and melancholy, almost to a fault, the film manages to combine the funny with the heartbreak. The issues with the film lie in the fact that half of the characters feel half-baked and just there to fill out the scenes in comparison to the comedic talents of Key, Jacobs, and Birbiglia, who once again proves that he is a strong director.
August 5, 2017
This movie is a perfect example of why I don't trust online reviews anymore. Its just not a good movie. The people in the movie are funny people in general, but the movie had maybe 3 or 4 moderately funny scenes and the story was completely boring. I've been to second city in Chicago so I'm familiar with what they were trying to do. Don't understand how critics could possibly give this a thumbs up 99% of the time.
½ August 3, 2017
I anticipated this movie being enjoyable but it was mostly corny and didn't go anywhere. I could have accepted both of those things if it made be laugh more often. Some of the improv performance made me chuckle out loud, but those moments were very short lived.
July 29, 2017
surprising and pretty good
½ July 22, 2017
Where to begin? Oh yes-THIS MOVIE IS NOT A COMEDY; IT'S A DRAMA/TRAGEDY. Perhaps this film has some scientific value as a determinative cause of brain atrophy.
July 22, 2017
It's different. More of a drama then a comedy. Started off slow but warmed up towards the end. Worth 90 min of your time.
July 22, 2017
It was okay. Maybe I should watch again. But it didn't hold my attention.
July 10, 2017
made it twenty minutes in and changed it.
July 8, 2017
This movie affected me in more ways than I imagined. It was funny but also true and powerful. Great story and has all the feels.
½ July 2, 2017
I really liked this movie! All of the characters are so authentic and the plot is very real. It was funny, awkward, frustrating (in a good way) and heart touching. I would definitely watch it again.
June 25, 2017
Funny, heart wrenching and emotional, this film brings you into the minds of aspiring artists in a visceral way. While not every narrative turn seems real, the emotion and sentiments are, and that, ultimately, is what packs the biggest punch.