Don't Think Twice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Think Twice Reviews

December 16, 2017
Endearing ode to improv
December 8, 2017
A deeply sincere and literate coming-of-age tale.
½ October 10, 2017
This isn?t a bad movie but watching it has been one of the most boring experiences of my life. There?s hardly a plot to go on and the actors are incredibly awkward. I can?t comprehend the critics? score and the positive reviews for I barely made it through one hour.
½ October 5, 2017
It's okay. It's okay... Those two simple, but powerful words perfectly sum up "Don't Think Twice." We can spend a lifetime pouring our blood, sweat, and tears into something we want so badly, but sometimes it's just not enough and that's okay. This dramedy is a true coming of age drama where these improv comedians suddenly see their lives going in different directions and an end of an era looming. An era that must be put in the past in order to realize the life that awaits.
½ October 5, 2017
i wanted it to be better. If it had vetter character building, i would have cared more
October 2, 2017
None of the characters were likable and nothing about it was funny.
September 29, 2017
Heartfelt and funny.
September 28, 2017
Pretty good movie! Great acting, great plot, and pretty funny! There were a few parts I disliked, like Chris Gethard's character's dad's death not phasing him or his friends. It's weird that there were little emotions displayed. I thought it was a very realistic movie about reflection around age 30 and moving on from the past.
½ September 21, 2017
Great movie. The plot is pretty unique in exploring the troubling life of a comedian (specifically improv), the humor is smart and outrageous, the characters and their lives are deep and moving, and the performances are all superb.
½ September 17, 2017
I had hopes of it being a lot funnier since the cast was iron clad. However, it was a truly genuine feel-good flick. Much like it's characters, this film is a severely underrated, rare gem.
½ September 9, 2017
The life of a comedian. It's something many people marvel at but don't necessarily understand. There are comedian actors, there are actors who are just funny, there are comedians who try to act, and then there are actual comedians. Strictly speaking...truly funny people. Mike Birbiglia is definitely the latter. Sure he's acted in a few things, but his strong suit is writing and directing, so with Don't Think Twice, he offers up a real earnest look at the life of a comedian.

The movie uses a parallel Saturday Night Live to show us how a small troupe of friends and comedians work together to help the group succeed while also looking out for themselves. Keegan-Michael Key takes the lead role as the individual who shines a bit brighter than the rest of the crew, but it's also about a how individual members of the troupe allow their strengths to take them down a path they would succeed in the most. Just because Key's character becomes the big star doesn't mean the other characters are suffering or aren't as good at what they do. Their path just varies slightly from being in the spotlight.
September 4, 2017
Movie shows you a glimpse of what it's like to be a comedy actor in New York. I love how they portrayed spot on the annoying "always acting" actors. Fun flick
August 28, 2017
Good ensemble story of how a struggling comedy improv group functions
½ August 27, 2017
A delicate, aspiring and comedic journey of friends who are put to the test by unwelcomed winds of change.
½ August 25, 2017
A charming and beautiful human story about community, success, friendship, and the danger in following your dream.
August 22, 2017
A real yawner...some poignant moments, but for the most part...just lame.
August 17, 2017
An unfunny, incomprehensible, awkward film that felt like a college project.
½ August 15, 2017
Despite being about comedians, this is not a comedy. Nor is it the kind of film that makes you give a damn about the characters because despite trying to convince the audience that they are nice, passionate actorsi n a comedic troupe of friends, they really are selfish no-talents. Like the terrible "thank youuu" joke referring to a dying man, this film is cringy from beginning to end
½ August 7, 2017
Bittersweet and melancholy, almost to a fault, the film manages to combine the funny with the heartbreak. The issues with the film lie in the fact that half of the characters feel half-baked and just there to fill out the scenes in comparison to the comedic talents of Key, Jacobs, and Birbiglia, who once again proves that he is a strong director.
August 5, 2017
This movie is a perfect example of why I don't trust online reviews anymore. Its just not a good movie. The people in the movie are funny people in general, but the movie had maybe 3 or 4 moderately funny scenes and the story was completely boring. I've been to second city in Chicago so I'm familiar with what they were trying to do. Don't understand how critics could possibly give this a thumbs up 99% of the time.