Don't Think Twice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Think Twice Reviews

April 11, 2019
This is a really beautiful and heartwarming film with an amazing ensemble cast
½ April 3, 2019
This is an outstanding work by all parties. It's a candid look at what it's like to be out there, day in and day out. The story takes you where "life happens" and leads this group of friends to places they perhaps never expected or certainly not how they expected to get where they arrive. It hits a number of real points but it left me with that sense that as long as you keep at it, keep getting up everyday you;ll find there is so much more to do and live for out there. It's not what I expected to see and it does show some many facets of people.
March 28, 2019
This film must be for the people trying to make it in comedy because I didn't really relate to it.
½ January 18, 2019
Definitely not funny but a drama about struggling comedians who aren't as funny as they think are.
December 31, 2018
truly a glimpse into the real life that entertainers may need to deal with. Sadly self sabotaging fragile ego people not being able to push each other to great heights as they are personally dealing with their own self doubt and anxiety instead of supporting and challenging each other as true friends could. Still very moving and entertaining despite the lightening energetic pushing that true friends COULD provide so all can might their best potential.
December 26, 2018
Its written by a comedian, directed by a comedian, and stars several comedians who play comedian characters. So of course, it's a drama
September 1, 2018
Good movie. Smart dialogs.. Very believable and relatable characters and situations. Great to watch on Friday night.
February 26, 2018
Strengths: Mike Birbiglia did a great job as both the writer and director of this film. His direction was well done, while the writing was consistently sharp and moving. Each of the characters in the group feels completely formed. They're more like real people than characters, actually. The actors all brought it. Keegan-Michael Kay (Jack) was fine, while Gillian Jacobs (Samantha) steals the show. Her character gets a lot of great material and she does very well with all of it. It's the best work I've seen from her. Birbiglia (Miles) also acts and probably has the second best performance. The entire film works as a great look into the life of a comedian. It's not something that gets tackled in this kind of realistic light very often.

Weaknesses: It doesn't really work as a comedy. While some of the improve scenes made me laugh a bit, this is much closer to a drama. There are some flat out sad, almost depressing scenes. Though I appreciated how real the characters felt, none of them really came across as likable. Some parts of the movie also kind of drag, making this feel a lot longer than its 92 minute runtime.

Overall: Don't go into this expecting a bunch of laughs, because you'll be disappointed. Instead, understand that it is a character drama. The characters get well-rounded arcs for the most part and there's real emotion behind the stories.
February 24, 2018
Not just a comedy. Real characters, life-altering changes. Love-affirming.
February 21, 2018
Don't Think Twice. Pretty good movie. A little sad at times, but it tackled real emotions. I recommend a watch. It's on Netflix!
February 5, 2018
Horrible. I was so looking forward to this after the push on This American Life. It was just so bad, not funny, bad acting. Most characters are barely likeable. Did not laugh once. :( Very disappointing.
January 27, 2018
Sad. Awkward. Not as advertised
January 23, 2018
Such an honest, open look at love, life and what can happen in a funny group of people as they grow.
January 5, 2018
I was very disapointed when I tried to watch this - the preview sold this as a heart based comedy, but actually, its depressing.  I didn't finish it.  The formula of luring the audience  in with some humour at the start before it gets serious is just old.  I would recommend something funny and heart warming in its place though for those searching - The Intouchables
½ December 21, 2017
"Don't Think Twice" is a genuine look into the lives of comedians trying to make it big. It is a touching movie with subtly funny moments. I felt all of the actors did a great job here and their characters felt like real people just talking. The chemistry and conflict among them are established early on and is always convincing. It's a heartfelt and well-made movie that I really enjoyed. I did think some moments where the characters were portraying improv felt a bit over the top but I think that also added to the realism of the movie. It hits all the right dramatic notes and most of the comedic notes.
December 16, 2017
Endearing ode to improv
December 8, 2017
A deeply sincere and literate coming-of-age tale.
½ October 10, 2017
This isn?t a bad movie but watching it has been one of the most boring experiences of my life. There?s hardly a plot to go on and the actors are incredibly awkward. I can?t comprehend the critics? score and the positive reviews for I barely made it through one hour.
½ October 5, 2017
It's okay. It's okay... Those two simple, but powerful words perfectly sum up "Don't Think Twice." We can spend a lifetime pouring our blood, sweat, and tears into something we want so badly, but sometimes it's just not enough and that's okay. This dramedy is a true coming of age drama where these improv comedians suddenly see their lives going in different directions and an end of an era looming. An era that must be put in the past in order to realize the life that awaits.
½ October 5, 2017
i wanted it to be better. If it had vetter character building, i would have cared more