Dragonheart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dragonheart Reviews

½ April 14, 2019
DragonHeart (1996): 7 out of 10: Dragonheart is a tale of a disillusioned knight who takes it upon himself to slay dragons. Through circumstances and adventures, he befriends the last dragon, and they join together to rescue the kingdom from an evil king and reinstate the glory of King Arthur.

The Good: DragonHeart has a great cast. I like Dennis Quaid; he is always very watchable in whatever movie he is in. He has that great smirk that, like Chris Pratt, can speak volumes and save scenes. Sean Connery is terrific in his voice work for the Dragon. He does not phone this one in. David Thewlis is excellent and slimy as the evil boy king, and it is always a pleasure to see Pete Postlethwaite in a decent part.

But I have saved the best for last. Who is that redhead love interest? She seems so familiar. Could it be? Yay, it is Dizzy from Starship Troopers. Dina Meyer improves any film she is in. She has worked steadily, but I have always wondered why she wasn't more of a household name. She is wonderful in this role.

The special effects hold up better than most films from the era. Kudos to the filmmakers for filming in the sunshine by the way. Too many effects-heavy movies in the nineties shot exclusively at night or in the rain (or both) I am looking your way Godzilla.

The Bad: While David Thewlis does a great job as the evil king his transformation into said king makes little or no sense. He gives the I was always evil but just pretending to be good so you would teach me speech, but as the prince, he hardly needed to pretend to be anything to get what he wanted. Also since his father was a tyrant, it would have been expected for him to emulate the current king. It is also surprisingly hard to hide your true nature with those who are in your life, especially at that age.

While the effects often hold up surprisingly well there is a feeling of LARPING among some of the extras and battle scenes. It seems as if the filmmakers came upon a renaissance festival and said yeah let us film that. While some villagers work well (the cannibal pig farmers), others are indistinguishable from generic tv medieval village number 42.

The Ugly: Allegedly there is a whole movie worth of deleted scenes for the film that helps flesh out the characters Tv Tropes has a complete rundown. The excessive editing of the story becomes clear as many motivations in the movie seem a touch half baked.

In Conclusion: This is not a severe or dark film. It is a fun romp suitable for the wee ones. With that in mind and the general fun to be had one has to give DragonHeart a lot of slack. With a great cast, special effects that still hold up and a plot that moves at a decent pace DragonHeart has entertainment for the whole family.
½ December 22, 2018
This film unfairly gets a really bad of rap! Yes it's story and acting weren't the best but it's visual effects for its time were revolutionary and Draco just being a very compelling and lovable character should also at be taken into consideration.
October 31, 2018
A pretty cheesy and unoriginal fantasy film if there ever was one.
April 28, 2018
lOVE THis film, still a solid film.
March 4, 2018
Okay medieval dragon tale about shiftless conman Dennis Quaid striking a bargain with a CGI dragon (voiced by Sean Connery) to attack villages who will then pay Quaid to "slay" the dragon. It's a clever idea, but the film is so vanilla that it might as well have been a throwaway 1970s Disney film. Don't get me wrong, I love a good sappy Disney film, but the characters and emotions here were all very by-the-numbers, leaving the audience with no real investment in what happens to them. The film either needed to be more real on a character and emotional level, or it needed to be grittier (i.e. "Dragonslayer" or "Reign of Fire"). Still, "DragonHeart" is well crafted from a technical and production value standpoint and Connery voicing the dragon is pretty irresistible. Worth watching, but pretty forgettable.
February 8, 2018
A pretty fun and entertaining kids film. Dennis Quaid keeps it all together in a harmless family film.
September 28, 2017
Love the music, but the acting is crap.
July 27, 2017
It's good but it's not great. The effects could be a whole lot better along with the writing and story. And while some of the acting is ok, it could be a whole lot better. So, to sum it up, this movie could have made some better choices
½ July 8, 2017
The plot is nothing fancy and the CGI may look slightly outdated, however, the end result is a solid medieval fantasy tale, packed with positive messages.
June 11, 2017
I fell in love with this movie when I was young. So much emotion and power with such cool characters, and I adore Draco. I have many fond memories of this film!
March 20, 2017
cheesy, terribly acted.
February 2, 2017
This is my favorite Movie of all time.
February 2, 2017
Awwww I love dragonheart it's sooooooo good with awesome special effects despite its age and Draco (dragon) is so adorable and Jonh Connery is a perfect as a voice actor for a dragon because he sounds exactly like how I imagine an old wise male dragon would sound like, and yes I did shed some tears when he died and if I hadn't held myself back then I would have cried a whole ocean
January 22, 2017
This was one of those movies that I grew up with that upon returning to I worried might lessen in my eyes. But to my great thanks it held up quite well in my eyes.

For a film that doesn't even hit two hours in length it contains a surprising amount of story. With our central protagonist Bowen before our eyes gong from honorable knight, to vindictive dragon slayer, to self-serving conman, to befriending his enemy Drago, and ultimately reclaiming his former self by leading a revolution against the tyrant ruling his homeland. And it all flows together pretty well, with us having a decent understanding of each of his shifts.
December 27, 2016
Amazing story to go along with action, adventure, hero's, villains, and dragons. Great plot and an exciting twist has you captivated through the whole movie.
November 3, 2016
161031: Such a strange little product. So terrible it wound up being fun. It took me awhile to adjust but I eventually came to enjoy this film. There is some bad acting, and some equally bad special effects, but I could not walk away. Once I identified Quaid, Thewlis and Postlethwaite, their characters grew on me and I even came to embrace the cg Draco, voiced by Connery. By the end of the film, both my little critic (11) and I loved our experience with Dragonheart. So much so I started looking at the next films in the series. Unfortunately I did not see the same actors and therefore not expecting the same results. As this a dual-sided dvd with A New Beginning (2000), I'll be sure to let you know.
October 16, 2016
Poor CGI aside (by today's standards), how in the world did Dennis Quaid land the job as a Scottish knight? This is no Braveheart- although it has hints that it wishes it was. A family-ish fantasy adventure. And more proof that ginger boys are all evil. Rating: 6 / 10
September 17, 2016
A great fantasy film that soared over my expectations. (First and only viewing - 9/17/2016)
½ June 19, 2016
Dragon fights forces of evil with a young boy in this entertaining fantasy that is sure to be enjoyed by all ages. It's definitely a surprise movie worth watching.