Dredd - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dredd Reviews

February 18, 2017
Highly brutal but very engaging. Has a lot going for it even without the inevitable comparison to the 1995 version - sticks closer to the feel of the original comics, our title character doesn't take off his helmet (which gives a better ideal of him being an almost inhumanly unflagging and unrelenting pillar of justice), and there's a sense of desperation in the Mega City One inhabitants that gives a fantastic dystopian edge to the tale which sets it well apart from Stallone's almost day-glo effort. Best of all, this version seems to be almost an origin story for Judge Anderson - a very welcome addition of the beloved character, who very gratefully isn't relegated to being the love interest or even unnecessarily oversexualised, and is also only briefly turned into a McGuffin in need of rescuing. Only sticking point really is the almost shocking levels of gore and a leaning toward glorification of violence, and at times this also gives a streak of black humour which is only funny perhaps half of the time. The three principals are excellent in their roles - Urban once again showing his versatility in a role where he had to bring an Eastwood-high level of grim persistence and some nuance of humanity, Thirlby's Anderson isn't the seasoned veteran but her rookie vulnerability lets the audience into the world, and Headey once again expertly portrays the evilly charismatic villain.
½ February 4, 2017
Maybe it is more for fans of the comic, but I hated it. I even prefer Stallone's version to this, it's dreadful (no pun intended).
½ January 28, 2017
It may be too bloody and gory for the faint-hearted but you know what makes Dredd an entertaining film? It remains faithful to its source material in such a way that even those who aren't familiar with the comics will find something to enjoy. Whether it's the slow-motion drug scenes, the bloody violence or dark humour you'll probably have a good time. Karl Urban shines as the titular Judge and remains true to his comic book counterpart as a guy who never takes his helmet off and doesn't speak more than he has to with the moments that he does talk being in a serious and emotionless voice. An entertaining and occasionally satirical movie that will please action aficionados.
½ January 21, 2017
Hmm...That was different. In a mostly good way of course. Can't say I was entirely blown away to be honest. The SLO-MO effect sequences are gorgeous, that's for sure, Urban gives a badass portrayal as Dredd, it's to-the-point and relentless, and absorbingly gritty. Ultimately it feels like a simple gory shoot-em-up dressed up in its visuals and aesthetics. I liked it, didn't love it, basically. Don't look for deep character development here, or a deep story, that's not the purpose of this film. Just have fun watching Dredd kick ass. I repeat, I didn't love it, but I'll say this: the skyscraper setting(Mama's compound), futuristic time frame, and Dredd, is like a combination of Robocop, Die Hard and The Raid. If that's not enough of a recommendation I don't know what is.
January 14, 2017
I thought better than original.
½ January 6, 2017
A great action movie that captures much more the feel of the comics than the earlier film. It's possibly hampered by taking so long to hit the cinemas that The Raid had time to copy the basic storyline and beat it out, this combined with a forced 3D only cinema release did it no favours which is a shame because it's very well made with good performances all round.
January 4, 2017
The movie Judge Dredd deserved.
½ December 12, 2016
Definitely had the feel of the comic IMHO. Visually stunning, well written & directed, great performances. Absolute improvement from the previous attempt.
December 9, 2016
In these times of superhero saturation and PG-13 franchises a handful of R rated films appear and while they don't get the same box office numbers they earn a following. And what better example of this than the beloved and highly praised "Dredd".

Mega City is a futuristic city that's filled with crime and drugs, particularly a new drug called Slow Mo, a Jet looking narcotic that dues exactly what it's name implies. In this God forgotten land the only thing that prevents it from falling apart are the Judges, the ultimate judge jury and executioner. We follow Judge Dredd, an incorruptible Judge, and a Judge candidate on a drug raid but what seemed to be a normal day of 'protect and serve' turns into something bigger.

Since its home release "Dredd" has become quite a big cult film, to the point of fans demanding a sequel, so finally I watched it and while I highly enjoyed it, it also disappointed me. "Dredd" has solid acting for an action film (props to Karl Urban for committing to this character thus not showing his face, which is quite rare for a lead actor), an eye catching visual style, competent world building for its budget, good use of violence (even though at times is not needed), action sequences that are well shot (no shaky cam nor quick edits here), a score that's hit or miss but when it does hit it is fantastic, a story that's wisely small in scale (it is not about stopping the world's end or the destruction of a city), and it is overall highly enjoyable. But despite all of its great elements, I have to say I find this film underwhelming. Peter Travis' direction is an attempt to replicate Paul Verhoeven (this film is quite similar to "Robocop", a character that was inspired by Dredd but now the pendulum has swung), the CGI is extremely bad (something that normally can be overlooked but the film keeps putting that cheap CGI up front thus making it hard to forgive), and the violence is tamed. Sure we see some graphic stuff but it is all digital, when this needed that excessive Verhoeven use of squibs (I don't know about you but I prefer makeup over CGI when it comes to violence and every time a digital squib appeared it took me out).

"Dredd" is a solid film that truly deserves its cult following. It desperately tries to imitate Verhoeven's style and while it fails at that, it does succeed in being a fantastic sci-fi action film. An extremely enjoyable and stylish action film that knows what it is/what's capable of and goes for it.
December 7, 2016
Gritty, dark, violent, and great. I'm genuinely disappointed I never got to see it in 3D.
½ November 23, 2016
fun cool action movie. lots of badassness. lots of cool scenes (2 viewings)
½ November 3, 2016
Dredd is something that we don't really see a lot these days. A dystopia that isn't also a YA novel, (seriously Hollywood The Hunger Games and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire were good but why keep bothering?). It follows Karl Urban, (Star Trek), as the titular stony faced judge, tasked with taking a first timer out into the real world for assessment. Not the most revolutionary plot in the world, but then it becomes further complicated by the two of them becoming trapped in a high-rise on a drugs bust, and the residents are turned on the judges. Ok so it might be Training Day meets The Raid with a dash of Blade Runner thrown in, and a tonal whiff of RoboCop and High-Rise, and that would be fine, if it was as good as, if not better than, these classic films. It's not bad, but it doesn't elevate the material it's riffing off in the same way as something like Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, or The Cabin in the Woods.

Let's just get this straight, the film is not bad. It's actually quite good, but it's serviceable at best. Now this isn't the first movie based off of this property and my god is this film better then Judge Dredd but then again I don't need to tell you that because well, it's really not hard to be better than Judge Dredd is it? For a start Dredd never takes off his helmet. The Judge himself, Karl Urban, knows what the character is and his history, and plays up the gruffness and the chin to absurd levels, that verge on the comedic. And in the end I think that means the Robocop comparison really isn't that far off because like Robocop this is some macabre comedy that in the way of Evil Dead II, gets a lot of it's comedy just from how over the top and campy it is. When they want to eliminate the judges what do they do? The break out the mounted gattling guns and take out a whole floor. When you want to kill someone selling someone else's drugs on your turf what do you do? You skin them, drug them with the film's drug of the week slo-mo and drop them from 200 stories. The problem here is, is that when the film wants to be serious it feels incredibly flat. For example Lena Heady, (Game of Thrones) is great as the villain in any other movie of this type, she does play it incredibly straight, so when she's on screen with Dredd it makes for an interesting dynamic but for most of the time she just comes across as not quite as funny as Jack Nicholson in The Departed. In truth it really does seem like Karl Urban and the filmmakers were the only ones in on the joke, because the violence is incredibly over the top in a very Robocop, Total Recall, Paul Verhoeven way.

I do love Alex Garland, (Ex_Machina, 28 Days Later..., Sunshine), but I feel like maybe his script didn't quite understand that the over the top violent aspect was what people loved about the comics which may have caused some confusion. However he has done something right, all the best dystopian stories, from Blade Runner to 1984, just have a very personal, smaller story set inside a larger world, and they use that to help realise the world they're in properly, which is why the trapped-in-a-highrise conceit works so brilliantly. And the film looks beautiful, if a bit over saturated, that may have been what they were going but for me it just doesn't work.

In the end it was unfortunate this film came out after The Raid because you can't help comparisons, the action in the raid is beautiful and balletic and brutal and exciting, where as in Dredd it's more like the head explosion in Scanners but slightly less fun, only slightly though. It has slow motion violence that's similar to, but nearly as good as, the elevator sequence in Drive, and in the end all these comparisons are inevitable but unfortunate because I'm spending the whole movie thinking off all these movies I like more than Dredd.
October 29, 2016
What has slowly developed a cult following, Dredd delivers on its bleak action packed depiction of the future. Though not the most original premise, this movie uses creative camera work and top notch effects. Recommend to those who are fans of late 80's action sci-fi.
October 25, 2016
If you're a fan of the 2000AD comic book series it's likely you will enjoy this version, fans are even rallying to get a sequel made they loved it so much.
½ October 17, 2016
una copia forzada de la gran the raid redemption
October 10, 2016
The effects are so-so but it's a great action movie and helps you forget the Sly Stallone abomination.
October 8, 2016
This movie was good, but anti-climactic. It seemed a too easy. Maybe it was because the leads were so calm and collected throughout, like you would expect from a professional cop. Anderson's growth seemed fast and her abilities made her a bit OP. I would have liked for her to be challenged in the psychic space.
My disappointment stems from the hype around the movie. I do regret not seeing it in 3D in a big screen theater.
October 5, 2016
Shockingly good reboot. It's dark, gritty and relatively faithful to the source material. Best enjoyed in 3d. It is almost criminal the film didn't find more success on release.
½ October 1, 2016
This is a movie that understand what it is. It doesn't try to overstep it's bounds and focuses on perfecting what it attempts. Definitely for anyone who likes action movies.
½ September 13, 2016
The last half star is missing because the only thing wrong with this movie is that i wanted more of it. Wow. Its unusual when you can watch an action movie 3 times and still find new things that are awesome about it. The last time, for instance I realized that the judge is basically the villain of this movie. He does not take his helmet off once... Yes! The dialoge is short, punchy and to the point. The violence is real, nobody gets shot off screen, you see the real effects of what violence does to peoples bodies. On that note, not only do you care what happens to the two judges, you also end up caring about their opposition, these arn't faceless mooks that the faceless judge is shooting, The film does, at multiple points, show you how human the judged are. So excellent, believable action, believable characters, believable world. Everything stays consistent in this movie thematically and practically.