Drive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drive Reviews

½ March 12, 2018
D-. Horrible director. I don't usually notice or get bothered by the artsy fartsy camera angles or lighting - but holy crap - this movie was horribly directed. Bad music, inappropriate scenes that didn't fit the pace of the movie, scenes that dragged on for minutes long just staring at someone's face. Very painful to watch; super slow. POS movie.
½ February 28, 2018
Ryan Gosling is too good for this movie, rushed story development and ending, the first half was very good with it´s Synthwavey´ soundtrack backseat car shots, messy story and characters, good soundtrack, a good love relationship, and very good first 30 minutes, after that, the movie has a downfall with a lot of mistakes in a lot of scenes, unnecessary gore and bad acting from the rest of the cast, with the exception of a few characters like shannon, irene and Driver.
February 26, 2018
Great soundtrack, but the film itself is a boilerplate, predictable crime story. I kept waiting for there to be a twist, a surprise or big reveal, or even just something clever - alas, the movie drove straight forward to its destination. One thing that annoyed me - why were all the killings done by gruesome, gory stabbings and head kicking? Particularly for the instances of execution. It made no sense that they wouldn't just shoot them. The guy slices the guys arteries and then his suit is spotless - in the next scene the Gosling in splattered in blood fron a similar stabbing...Seemed like a cheap way to give the movie a token uniqueness but didn't make sense to me. The movie also never explains why Gosling is like Jason Bourne-grade special ops combat dude who can kill two armed guys with his bare hands at once. Especially since all we know about him is that he ONLY drives and refuses to carry a weapon.
February 16, 2018
this is one of those films when I was yelling at the screen "does your face even move, Ryan Gosling?! Then he smiled and it was so freaking creepy I kind of cowered in my seat. And then BOOM. The movie exploded. Suddenly it wasn't slow, it was edge of the seat suspenseful; it wasn't dull, it was subliminal; and what happened was some ye-olde fashioned ultra-violence.
½ February 8, 2018
Loved this film, strong characters and plot coupled with good action sequences and sound track. A thinking man's fun day out at the races!
January 31, 2018
LOVED the soundtrack. The whole experience was hauntingly enjoyable.
January 31, 2018
(2011) FILM: "DRIVE"
Director: Nicolas Winding Refn
Lead Actors: Ryan Gosling
Any genuine film buff like myself would sadly agree that looking back (2011) was absolutely a horrendous year for the film industry. Only director Nicolas Refn's "DRIVE" and Gavin O'Connor's spellbinding attraction "WARRIOR" were worthy of "BEST PICTURE" and both of them were disgracefully snubbed by the 83rd Annual Academy Awards. With its exceptionally soothing trance-like musical score, polarizing imagery and mesmerizing blend of attitude and violence, the unconventionally chaotic (2011) film "DRIVE" is a cinematic masterpiece that's absolutely astonishing frame to frame.
Ryan Gosling's riveting performance as a mysteriously obscure Hollywood stunt driver is slickly enchanting and even though the character himself is a man with very little to say, his actions speak immensely louder than his words as he magnificently delivers one of the most remarkably rewarding and uncommonly intense vengeance sequences of all time.
January 28, 2018
Very stylised thriller, well done all round.
January 22, 2018
Casting, dialogue, cinematography, music. This movie does all of those things perfectly in my opinion. Ryan Gosling is damn near perfect playing a soft-spoken man with some inner demons. Some of the stylish, sleek, and seamlessly cool imagery in this movie gave me chills. If you are looking to study films and how they should be made, please watch this movie. Drive will go down as an arthouse classic.
½ January 21, 2018
Beautiful cinematography, fantastic pacing, amazing acting great story and. Perfect lighting.
One of the top five films I've seen this year
½ January 16, 2018
This was a nice surprise. Very well made action/heist film with style and substance.
½ January 13, 2018
Enjoyable and different, worth a watch
January 11, 2018
Great soundtrack and very good plot.
January 9, 2018
Boredom and cheap tricks. All this while attempting to convey Gosling's psychopathic tendencies. None of the film's numerous emotional swings (or gruesome deaths, for that matter) justify their existence, and most end with an undeservedly abrupt death. Too bad three quarters of this movie is in slow-mo.
January 7, 2018
Amazing, all I can say.
January 5, 2018
Beside Goslin, I don't get the fascination for these film honestly.
January 3, 2018
A crime thriller in which Ryan Gosling portrays a mysterious Hollywood stuntman and mechanic that works also as a getaway driver and finds himself in trouble when he helps out his neighbor (Carey Mulligan) and he has to prove how violent and strong he can become if he is threatened. The film was clearly snubbed at the Oscars, which is disappointing, as they preferred something as boring as The Tree of Life.
December 30, 2017
Amazing. Not more words needed.
½ December 23, 2017
One of my personal favorite movies of all time. It's definitely not for everyone... but maybe that's what makes it so great. It can only be described as "the perfect mix between 80's aesthetics and Pulp Fiction". It's a simple movie with an incredibly deep and complex story that, while not always "exciting" or "thrilling", will shock you when it matters the most (the violence is really rare, but when it exists, it's incredibly brutal). Ryan Gosling also introduces us (with a very good performance) to The Driver, who is, without a doubt, Gosling's most iconic character to date.
½ December 22, 2017
I never thought i can be disappointed with a film, but this proved me wrong. The actors are amazing, but the dialogue and plot are very poor