Drive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drive Reviews

July 20, 2016
one of the few films that achieves cinematic purity
July 17, 2016
A masterpiece of direction, pacing, and cinematography. A fairly simple narrative is made interesting and enthralling by the camera-work, acting, and 0-60 pacing.
July 16, 2016
There is a special place in my heart for movies like this - edgy, crisp with emphasis on atmosphere and mise-en-scene, and with characters who live in a world I'll never see yet love to watch. And with a cast like this, the performances of course are awesome.
½ July 10, 2016
With perhaps the best performance Ryan Gosling has done in his career, Drive is an insightful, well-made, and deservedly violent movie in its striking and gritty atmosphere.
½ July 10, 2016
To me Drive is modern masterpiece, a film that I believe will stand the test of time. There are so many fantastic elements of this film- the look, the music, the acting and the incredible use of cinematography. Brilliant.
July 9, 2016
Beautifully filmed, superbly directed, and wonderfully acted, "Drive" is a breath of fresh air.
½ July 8, 2016
@DriveMovieFans still one of my favorites. Great cast, well-written, expertly directed, & that soundtrack. Damn. #Drive 9/10 @RyanGosling
July 4, 2016
Striking visuals, bursts of graphic violence, hypnotic soundtrack, and clever structure make this a near arthouse action flick that should not be missed.
July 4, 2016
Stylish and thrilling, Drive is a brutal, well directed and engaging thriller for the most part, with a bombastic soundtrack, fine performances and truly satisfying action.
July 2, 2016
Awesome, a great movie of the decade!
½ June 30, 2016
How this movie has a 92% rating on here I'll never know. It's like one of those paintings that everyone is just gaga over because it's so creative and was done by some highfalutin jerk. Then, when you finally get to take a look for yourself all you can think is, "That's it? This is what everybody is so on about? It looks like a piece of s**t to me!" The movie starts out promising: a young man moonlighting as a skilled, professional level driver for hire risking much for profit, and the thrill of a position outside of accepted societal norms. Now I'm not one of these lunkhead F&F fans that just demands a constant barrage of action with as little plot to think about, and as many fast cars, and even faster women as I can take. I like a good cerebral thriller which I thought this was going to be. I mean, the movie even has Bryan Cranston so what's not to like? Then as this drawn-out bore-fest gets on, I begin to realize that it is devolving into a hyper-clichèd love story: boy falls for unavailable girl who is in a completely vulnerable situation, and puts up with her situation even though he's probably gonna get f*****d over. He must play the part of the good guy but bad boy and maybe he'll come out on top in the end. Even all of this would have been okay had it been done well, but unfortunately it was not. The unbelievably pretentious, plodding back two-thirds of the movie made it almost unbearable to watch, and there were times when I seriously considered turning the movie off and going for ice-cream; the way you might take a child for a treat when they've just gotten stitches, or when their team lost the big game. Gosling's acting chops were non-existent in this effort as he rigidly portrays his droll and completely emotionless character throughout the movie. I get that the character is supposed to be one who keeps his feelings on the inside, but memorable roles are created when actors somehow bring the essence of their characters to life in spite of little dialogue, or having a stoic character. When this movie was finally over (somehow they made a film of only 100 minutes seem way too long) I was relieved that movies have endings, but unsettled at the notion that if hell does exist, mine might be a place where this pile of garbage is looped on constant repeat for eternity. Certifiably rotten!
June 30, 2016
Drive is personally one of my favourite movies of all time.The cinematography is some of the best my eyes have seen.
½ June 29, 2016
Drive is a movie that comes along once every few years, stylishly filmed with a great soundtrack that tends to either be a critically acclaimed masterpiece or either ends up being a cult classic that flopped with the critics.

Drive is one of the most beautifully shot movies I think I have ever watched. The cinematography is truly on another level. As is the soundtrack which manages to blend a 21st century sound with the 80's with ease.

Carey Mulligan, Oscar Isaac and the little boy who played their son were all exceptional. Brian Cranston was very good in his part and Christina Hendricks was well cast for what little part she had. Ryan Gosling however felt like he could have been playing any character in any of his other movies. However, I still think he was very well cast.

The plot itself starts of wonderfully, however as time goes on falls victim to typical gangster movie cliches. The violence also felt unnecessary and at times felt silly and almost like it belonged in something like Final Destination. The pacing was also very poor for the most part.

Strangely though, it's a film that will stay with me for a long time. As bad as some of it was, it's a movie that manages to trick it's audience into thinking they're seeing something extraordinary. I am unfortunately one of those people.
½ June 28, 2016
91%
Drive has enough action-packed thrills and frenetic violence to balance the romance and drama contained within a smart screenplay.

V: 81%
½ June 25, 2016
loved the ending scene (defies all reason), but really didn't like carey mulligan.
½ June 25, 2016
6-10-2016.

Original review: September 2011, (8/10). "A hybrid of Michael Mann, Taxi Driver, Paul Thomas Anderson and a dash of Tarantino. But incorrectly marketed as Fast & Furious/Transporter-like garbage."
June 24, 2016
65%
Saw this on 17/8/14
Drive is mixed with great music, stylish images and above average direction. There is nothing new about the story and the acting is neither extraordinary nor mediocre. All my friends who saw this film gave poor feelings about it. The main reason they cited was the lag in the film and I was prepared for it, so I did like it. The story like any other in this genre is about a guy exceptionally skilled in a certain activity, here driving. He needs money, so he gets involved in some nasty jobs which he doesn't really wish to be part of. Then as always, something goes wrong and every thing turns against him. This is the content, but the only difference is that the film spends lot of time in developing the story till everything goes wrong and that's why people find it a lot lagging. Anyway, this is far far better than Bronson(2008).
½ June 24, 2016
A man, an expert driver, hires out his skills to any bidder. The jobs don't have to be legal, and they generally aren't. He is cold, calm, unquestioning and detached - traits that make him good at what he does. Then he falls for his neighbour, a married woman, and things get complicated.

Good, but not great. Good, intense plot and great action. However, plot does lose focus and seem contrived at times. Direction is good, but includes far too many self-indulgent lingering shots, trying to seem arty.

Carey Mulligan, Bryan Cranston and Albert Brooks are great in their roles. I was not overly impressed with Ryan Gosling, however. The (wannabe) cool, silent routine works for a little while before becoming irritating.
½ June 22, 2016
Drive has a nice 60's vibe to it, and an extremely bored looking Ryan Gosling. The supporting cast is really what makes this movie worth watching. Drive is the definition of style over substance for me, everything looked pretty cool, and the acting was all around solid, even though I wanted to see more than what I got out of Gosling. Oscar Issac is in this one, and he's one of my favorite actors, but I would've liked to see more of him. In the end, Drive has cool effects, and good actors, but the plot bored the living hell out of me.
½ June 20, 2016
Grindhouse thriller that works.