Drive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drive Reviews

December 15, 2017
very very underated movie.
December 12, 2017
2011 FILM: "DRIVE"
Director: Nicolas Winding Refn
Lead Actors: Ryan Gosling
BRILLIANTLY CAPTIVATING!
VIOLENTLY SEDUCTIVE!
HAUNTINGLY ROMANTIC!
Any genuine film buff like myself looking back would sadly agree that (2011) was absolutely a horrendous year for the film industry. Only director Nicolas Refn's "DRIVE" and Gavin O'Connor's spellbinding attraction "WARRIOR" were even worthy of "BEST PICTURE" and both of them were disgracefully snubbed by the 83rd annual Academy Awards. With its exceptionally soothing trancelike musical score, polarizing imagery and mesmerizing blend of attitude and violence, the unconventionally chaotic and powerfully inspirational (2011) film "DRIVE" is a cinematic masterpiece that's absolutely astonishing frame to frame.
Ryan Gosling's riveting performance as a mysteriously obscure Hollywood stunt driver is slickly enchanting and even though the character himself is a man with very little to say, his actions speak immensely louder than his words as he magnificently delivers one of the most remarkably rewarding and uncommonly intense vengeance sequences of all time.
December 11, 2017
Not that great a movies as advertised.
December 10, 2017
I must have watched a different movie to most, 2 out 5 at most. Yes I know it isn't real life but come on that was ridiculous, all those brutal murders & not a cop anywhere!!! Had the makings of a decent story, but no some one decided to down the simple kill a load of people with loads of blood & gore!
½ November 22, 2017
Predictable plot, but it has great acting, great songs and the movie is beautiful to look at.
November 9, 2017
Drive is an intense and incredibly powerful film from the first frame until the last. Fueled with hyper-stylized violence and music, director Nicolas Winding Refn and actor Ryan Gosling have created an arthouse masterpiece. This film will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire 100-minutes.
November 9, 2017
Drive is hated by some people and that's okay. For me, this is one of my favorite films of all time. Gloriously slick cinematography, hypnotic score, incredible tension, great action, and a super interesting lead character who was performed magnificently by Ryan Gosling make Drive a great movie on its own but the added heart and soul of what it means to be a good guy is touching and enhances this film. Not a lot of dialogue sure but it's visual storytelling is magnificent and should at the very least be respected as a great arthouse film.
November 5, 2017
The retro feel of this movie is just so great~~~~~
Can't believe I actually missed this masterpiece casted by Ryan Gosling.
½ November 2, 2017
With it's seamless blend of hyper stylized violence, music and stunning imagery, Drive is a fully realized representation of arthouse action. Drive features great performances from its ensemble cast, with Ryan Gosling giving a strong, yet stoic performance as the lead character. Although at first, Gosling's character is nothing more than just an icy stereotype, he soon begins to balance it with a more hidden and underlying emotional connection that Gosling manages to balance with relative ease. Albert Brooks is also notable as the film's steely and menacing performance as the antagonist. The rather understated romance brewing between Gosling and co star Carey Mulligan grounds it all without either ruining the film or feeling forced in. The only problem with the characters for me was that it didn't give enough reason for actually caring for the characters and their peril. Drive establishes its premise in an interesting way. By beginning with an example of how Gosling's character somehow manages to balance both of his lifestyles before introducing the love of his life, in an authentic matter, no less, Drive manages to execute it's material in a profound matter, even if the script is hardly anything we haven't seen before. Drive's biggest star however isn't any of its onscreen aspects, it's definitely Nicholas's sparkling direction. Giving the film a beautiful 80s aesthetic and blending it with a neo noir thriller, Refn perfectly captures the essence of what an art house film can be whilst still being an entertaining romp for casual audiences. The film has all the hallmarks of an art film, with its gorgeous cinematography, unique aesthetic and slow pacing but also deftly combines it with the thrills and excitement usually reserved for action blockbusters. Full of long take tracking shots and tight camera editing, its also safe to say that Refn is no slouch in that category either. Maybe Refn's only and biggest mistake is that when the guns start to fly, the film almost winds up becoming a completely different film and its a good thing that the violence sons become fitting for the film because when it first starts, it's almost hard to think of how many ways, he could've better incorporated it into the film given its importance to the film's narrative and themes. Drive is a very beautiful film to watch as well, it's neon-esque cinematography creates visually appealing purple and blue streaks against the backdrop of the film. Everything about the aesthetic appeal and the look of the film screams, "LOOK AT ME!", because the lighting is just so hard to stop watching. Before I end this review, there's one more thing to explain and that's the film's flawlessly executed and exhilarating action sequences. Thanks to some ingenious practical effects, a beating soundtrack and top notch editing, Drive's race sequences are something to watch, although that first segment is never bettered. Drive has a few flaws for sure but it's also a visually stunning, perfectly directed and executed thriller that represents the potential of the art house action genre. -
½ October 27, 2017
this will literally bore you to sleep if you are looking for action, even as an arthouse film it was not very "artful" if such phrase could be used for a movie so slow it takes half a minute to speak a single line and for audience to stare at Gosling's expressionless face in almost non-existant music
the plot is so shallow it is laughable with zero character development and hell of alot of staring that would put twilight to shame
October 26, 2017
This movie has a lot of style and substance. Insanely cool film with the best romance story I've seen. Just don't expect a lot of action.
½ October 24, 2017
"Drive", if you analyze the movie enough it is a GREAT film...because the first time I saw this I was young & dumb, so I wasn't impressed with the direction and cinematography...But Now, I can honestly say that I really do appreciate the vibe especially the soundtrack of the film. It was Epic, the movie itself tells you the story with an immersive intensity all throughout the film...And This One Ladies & Gentlemen Has A 9 out of 10 Rating for me...
October 22, 2017
A slowly paced, ultra-violent, expertly-directed crime masterpiece with a very strong, yet nuanced performance by Ryan Gosling.

5/5 stars
½ October 20, 2017
Entertaining to watch and the violence is well done. I was hearing so much praise for the film so I decided to sit down and watch it. The movie did a pretty good job in keeping you in suspense and entertained. I found a few parts disappointing specifically the end but overall it's a satisfying movie. 7/10
October 19, 2017
2011 FILM: "DRIVE"
Director: Nicolas Winding Refn
Lead Actors: Ryan Gosling/Carey Mulligan
VICIOUSLY COMPELLING!
SHOCKINGLY BRILLIANT!
CREATIVELY INTOXICATING!
Absolutely astonishing frame to frame, Director Refn's inspirationally chaotic 2011 film "Drive" is a cinematic masterpiece.
With Ryan Gosling's mesmerizing performance and magnificently delivering one of the most remarkably intense and rewarding vengeance sequences in film history you better make sure you buckle up because this film will have you at the edge of your seat!
With its exceptionally soothing trancelike musical score, polarizing imagery and mesmerizing blend of attitude and violence it's hands down one of the most surprising and most unforgettable films that I've seen in years!
October 19, 2017
Amazing. Ryan Gosling is pure perfection and outdone himself throughout the enterity of the film. It's full of romance and action that kept you on your toes the whole way through! There were many different camera angles used like a point of view shot and a mid shot which made it more enjoyable throughout. Well worth a watch in my opinion!
October 17, 2017
Stylish and grossly violent - it works well, but maybe is a little too arthouse for itself.
October 10, 2017
One of my top 10 favorite movies- cinematography is amazing, 80s soundtrack is the coolest contrast to the mood of the movie, I can't say enough good things about Drive.
October 2, 2017
65%
Saw this on 17/8/14
Drive is mixed with great music, stylish images and above average direction. There is nothing new about the story and the acting is neither extraordinary nor mediocre. All my friends who saw this film gave poor feelings about it. The main reason they cited was the lag in the film and I was prepared for it, so I did like it. The story like any other in this genre is about a guy exceptionally skilled in a certain activity, here driving. He needs money, so he gets involved in some nasty jobs which he doesn't really wish to be part of. Then as always, something goes wrong and every thing turns against him. This is the content, but the only difference is that the film spends lot of time in developing the story till everything goes wrong and that's why people find it a lot lagging. Anyway, this is far far better than Bronson(2008).
October 1, 2017
A modern day masterpiece. One of, if not, the most aesthetically pleasing movies I've ever seen. The visuals are amazing and the streets of LA are legitimately brought to life. The soundtrack is incredible and the intensity of Gosling's mere facial expressions showcases how talented the guy really is. Go watch Drive, if you haven't already. If you have, watch it again.