Drive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drive Reviews

October 24, 2016
Absolutely banging film. Set the stage for the aesthetics of Hotline Miami and V A P O R W A V E
½ October 23, 2016
Real human being and a real hero
October 19, 2016
A Neo-Noir Crime Action Thriller that screams class and Style from start to finish. Drive operates with a dark and tense mood throughout bringing to light it's film noir influences.

For me, it's the perfect amount of art and film, making it visually stunning throughout due to it's inspiring cinematography. You could literally freeze the film at any point and that image would make a great poster for the film.

The music is phenomenal too, so much so I own it on Vinyl. It captures the mood of the entire film superbly adding to the neo-noir style to create an exciting pace to the film.

The cast are amazing. Ron Pearlman, Carey Mulligan, Albert Brooks, Oscar Isaac, Bryan Cranston and Christina Hendricks are flawless, arguably performing one of their greatest roles of their respective careers. Ryan Gosling though, is iconic. His performance is near perfect with the actor taking advantage of every second on camera. Even when you consider his lack of dialogue, he still manages to immerse himself in the role brilliantly, creating a memorable lead character.

The story is a good one, however it's the Neo-Noir filmmaking style of Drive that makes the story so powerful and unique. It's certainly a film that has it's own style, standing out considerably from anything remotely similar. It's exhilarating, it's passionate, it's sophisticated and it's cool. Everything I want in a film.

One of my favourite films of all time, from one of my favourite directors of all time. A masterpiece from Nicholas Winding Refn.
October 18, 2016
Stylish pop goslingitude
½ October 17, 2016
tl;dr - A movie which succeeds with its story-telling and characters but relies on "Shock" moments too often to be truly great.

This film is beautifully made in its art style and moments of peace, it is very "Vintage" in feel without being based upon any older time as its setting. The main character "Ryan Gosling - Driver" is unrelatable because of his silence yet you find yourself cheering for him throughout the movie due to his protective feelings towards "Carey Mulligan - Irene". The movie falls short of its storytelling when action comes into play, relying on shock tactics to pull the viewer in at moments when less-visual violence could have been used to better effect.
October 17, 2016
When I first watched this movie all I could think about was how strange it was. Upon second viewing I found this movie much better. Ryan Gosling is flawless as a driver of very few words and elevates Drive to great height
October 15, 2016
One of my all time favourites. Gritty, beautiful, violent and romantic all at once. A lot gets said all throughout this film without much being said at all. Brooks, Gosling, Cranston, Perlman, Isaacs and Mulligan are all fantastic. It's one of my "recommendables".
½ October 8, 2016
Stylish, thoughtful and much more romantic than one could expect, Drive is an engaging drama and action movie that finds its strenght in the sympatetic lead character, portrayed by an inspired Ryan Gosling.
October 8, 2016
What 'Drive' does masterfully is capture the silent connection between the main character and his love interest. Such a connection has been created between Ryan Gosling's 'Driver' and Carey Mulligan's, girl-next-door, 'Irene' that you forget all about words and sentences. The connection that director, Nicolas Winding Refn, establishes with the aid of mood lighting and music, is the reason that this film about a getaway driver killing bad people has a lasting impact on its audience. The several scenes of near-silent connection between our 'hero' and 'damsel in distress' are the stitches that pull this visually stunning piece together and make it more than just a 'fancy display of guns and fast cars'.

- Distinct Visual Style
- Music
- Lead Actor's Connection to Lead Actress.
- Cliche Story Structure
- Ending
October 7, 2016
Its been around 4-5 months since I first saw 'Drive', and after watching the film a few more times now, it just gets better and better.
October 2, 2016
This movie changed the way I see movies.
September 27, 2016
Stunning! Even after watching it, the 2nd and 3rd time.
½ September 24, 2016
Sorry Refn. You can't fool me. Don't just take the fun out of Fast Five and try to make it an artsy, boring mess. It just doesn't work.
September 21, 2016
Well made and good soundtrack but plagued with uninteresting characters.
September 12, 2016
One of my all-time favorite movie. Visually stunning, stylized, and many elements sucked me in to love this movie so much.
½ September 11, 2016
Its product is one of pure pop eroticism. It's methodical. Elegant. In control of itself. Purposeful -- with every line spoken and frame shot. It's beautiful. It's frightening. It's exhilirating. And Gosling, worthy of becoming but likely disinclined to be the very portrait of Hollywood bravado, echoes the film's becomings in his performance like only the most brilliant actors in brilliant movies can.
September 6, 2016
The perfect Neo-Noir. A little Parker. A little Steve McQueen. Hip. Not Hollywood formula!
September 5, 2016
Absolutely brilliant on every level, the story, the pacing, the direction, the style, the music, the acting. It is just brilliant. Like taught in film schools brilliant.
September 3, 2016
Watched this movie about 3 times... Close to perfect for me. Recently watched this again and I still love this movie.
August 30, 2016
One of the best films in recent memory