Eagle vs Shark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eagle vs Shark Reviews

November 28, 2017
The quirkiness of Juno meets the humor of Napoleon Dynamite.
November 27, 2017
A self-conscious veneer of quirk gilds the lily of this otherwise by-the-book romance. No character development occurs and it's disappointing in this female-led film that the man-child gets rewarded for his shitty behaviour. Little sign of the talent that Watiti and Clement would go on to show, but hey, there's hope for all of us.
November 19, 2017
A beautiful film about an unconventional love between two very unconventional people.
½ November 8, 2017
The only thing amateurish about this movie are the critic reviews.
November 8, 2017
Eagle vs Shark is the directorial and writing debut of Taika Waititi, and it stars Jemaine Clement and Loren Horsley in a romantic comedy about an awkward and shy girl that has a crush on a guy who?s really odd, sometimes has anger issues, and wants to have a fight with a bully from high school. After watching Thor: Ragnarok, I wanted to watch the rest of Taika Waititi?s films that I haven?t watched that?s on Netflix. So while this is the only one that?s on Netflix, I?ll give Boy a watch when I have the time, so for his first feature film, Eagle vs Shark is not nearly as fantastic as his recent films, but I thought it?s at least a decent flick. The acting is pretty good at acting very weird and kind of quirky. The humor is the type of humor that you see in Napoleon Dynamite, and while it?s refreshing to see a different type of humor, it?s definitely an acquired taste to have for this. If people doesn?t like Napoleon Dynamite, then it?s possible that you?re not going to like this. For me personally, there a lot of chuckles that I got, and only laughed once, but that?s the highest I can get from the humor as there are also some jokes that really missed the mark, or was awkward for the sake of being weird. The chemistry between the two leads is kind of sweet, and some of the animation is pretty well done for an indie film, so while Eagle vs Shark isn?t a great film, but I did enjoy what I got out of this movie, and I?m glad that he does improve over time.
June 10, 2017
Charming and awkward
April 13, 2017
Low budget nerd comedy. Enjoyable but not great.
½ January 8, 2017
Truly one of my all times faves. I cannot understand how people didn't see the RARE searing honesty in all this. Beautiful, funny, ridiculous.
October 30, 2016
This is a fantastic movie. It's hilarious with some darker themes and feelings that anyone can mostly like relate to at some point in their lives ie. feeling left out, unwanted, competitive, jealous, grief, dwelling of the past. It's quirky, funny, a little sad, but you can't not be in a good mood after watching it.
October 28, 2016
One of our favorites. It's quiet, and awkward, and genius.
½ October 11, 2016
A quirky, endearing gem of a film about misfit characters in the vein of Napoleon Dynamite.
July 5, 2016
Three word review... Weird, but watchable!
April 18, 2016
This New Zealand comedy is the feature length debut of writer/director Taika Waititi. The movie is very similar in tone to "Napoleon Dynamite" as it features an awkward romance between two completely awkward and socially inept people. It had some very funny bits, but it wasn't consistently funny.
March 26, 2016
Though I want to love it, this movie just can not do enough to keep me invested.
February 21, 2016
Horrible and I couldn't quit watching it.
February 10, 2016
NOTE: This film was recommended to me by YouTube user Soxsun for "Steve Pulaski Sees It."

Lily (Loren Horsley) is a shy, socially awkward fast food worker, who enjoys writing her music despite the ostensible fact that nobody cares enough to listen. She has a crush on a frequent customer named Jarrod (Jermain Clement), a geek who works in a video game store, and finally gets the opportunity to spend time with him when he invites her to a costume party with the only condition that Lily dress as her favorite animal; she shows up as a shark, while Jarrod goes as an eagle, claiming that, or a cobra, is his favorite animal.

What entails is a quirky romance only film could capture; a striking portrait of two social misfits, unaccepted by the masses, and free to guide themselves in the own strange, niche world they craft for themselves. The two don't wind up becoming friends as much as they do close, personal acquaintances given how little they explicitly let on to one another, particularly Jarrod, who lives so deeply in his own world he can't even adequately see what both him and Lily have in common - not even the mole they share above their upper lips. Jarrod has been plotting to take on a bully from high school in a fight in front of a large audience for the last several months, and Lily stands by his side, in utter compliance, largely because she's just so honored to be able to be seen beside the man of her dreams. As Jarrod slogs away at life, meticulously planning a meaningless brawl and taking nearly everything his family says as an offensive remark, Lily is there for him, be it a passive observer, or subtle moral support.

Therein lies the twinkling beauty of Eagle vs Shark; Lily's devotion and consistent loyalty to someone she probably knows, deep down, is four tires short of a car. Despite Jarrod's general initial indifference to her presence, he begins to see how Lily is the only person who has had his back since the beginning. Her incomparable trust and admiration for him almost effectively undermines the negative characteristics Jarrod embodies, including, but not limited to, sexism, close-mindedness, lack of empathy, and narcissism.

Taika Waititi's film embodies the similar kind of approach to outsider culture as Napoleon Dynamite did three years prior to Eagle vs Shark's release. The difference here is that rather than focusing on empty, intolerable characters we, the audience, were essentially laughing at rather than laughing with, Eagle vs Shark is more empathetic to its characters' situations and looks to profile them by examining why these two souls connect so well, or at least so nonchalantly, together. Waititi, who also serves as the film's writer, crafts a film bent on its own eccentric personality and sense of whimsy, and for the most part, succeeds on the charisma of both Horsley and Clement, who embody one of the more unique on-screen chemistries I have yet to see from independent films.

Is Eagle vs Shark consistently funny? Unfortunately no, and there are some long segments where the film drags and meanders, despite only being eighty-seven minutes (even the film's conclusion sometimes feels like it's frustratingly plodding to nowhere fast. Is the film occasionally grating because the personalities of the characters aren't wholly likable? Absolutely. These two nudging features make this film hard to truly love or embrace, but given Waititi's decision to make this a shorter film, one predicated, again, on the warmth of its settings and the quirks of its characters, the film winds up becoming a more tolerable character study than a frustrating examination of misfits. Misfits that, ultimately, you'd rather simply walk past on the street rather than linger on with a camera for an upwards of ninety minutes.

Starring: Loren Horsley and Jermaine Clement. Directed by: Taika Waititi.
½ February 7, 2016
Much like the awkward animal courtship this fairy tale story presents, Eagle vs Shark well display as confusing for some. It may be hard to understand and it's frustrating that the two protagonists don't click immediately, the sentimental message of two humans wishing to act anything is weaved beautifully however as you watch them flock and fade apart and form back together again. It's mesmerising, like a hilarious documentary about an unlikely bond which in turn becomes more likely as you go deeper into their pasts. Taika Waititi is a craftsmen of the bizarre.
February 6, 2016
Not a typical movie I would watch, and theirs a reason for that, it's not that in racist but I was put off by the New Zealand accent and the contrast of it, the acting was mearly very droll and boring too. Much talking and staring, the vocals weren't clear enough, the only thing I enjoyed was the story so if it was a British or American standard movie I would of enjoyed it but due to the fact that I'm not used to watching New Zealand people for a hour and a half, it was boring and I did think the acting was extremely boring, but the story and the contrast of the relationship was very good and gripping, I did enjoy that but I have to lower the score from the fact of the accent and the acting was just too droll for me. Just hope for Hollywood to discover it and remake it because it want to see that happen. Sorry but it's 2 stars ??
½ October 28, 2015
I love this movie, and I'll explain why I rated it what I did. Things that are absolutely lovely about this movie: Jemaine Clement and Loren Horsley are HILARIOUS and Horsley is so sweet! I love the type of humor that this movie is about; that really offbeat, so uncomfortable you have to laugh. The first 2/3s of this movie builds to what could be an extremely emotional climax, and it builds at such a hypnotizing and natural pace especially under all its quirky-ness BUT what it finally delivers feels shallow and avoiding the deeper and darker themes. I would have liked to have seen the story go after true emotional confrontation and resolution, rather than grazing by it for the sake of keeping the movie light and fluffy. It feels dishonest and shallow, which are words I don't want to have to use to describe this, but I have to be honest. It hints at its heart and soul, but only shows its soul. We want the heart! Show us the heart! If you enjoy offbeat humor, you'll love this, but otherwise I think for most people it would be a pass.
½ July 23, 2015
Good Napoleon Dynamite adaptation.