Eagle vs Shark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eagle vs Shark Reviews

October 30, 2016
This is a fantastic movie. It's hilarious with some darker themes and feelings that anyone can mostly like relate to at some point in their lives ie. feeling left out, unwanted, competitive, jealous, grief, dwelling of the past. It's quirky, funny, a little sad, but you can't not be in a good mood after watching it.
October 28, 2016
One of our favorites. It's quiet, and awkward, and genius.
½ October 11, 2016
A quirky, endearing gem of a film about misfit characters in the vein of Napoleon Dynamite.
July 5, 2016
Three word review... Weird, but watchable!
April 18, 2016
This New Zealand comedy is the feature length debut of writer/director Taika Waititi. The movie is very similar in tone to "Napoleon Dynamite" as it features an awkward romance between two completely awkward and socially inept people. It had some very funny bits, but it wasn't consistently funny.
March 26, 2016
Though I want to love it, this movie just can not do enough to keep me invested.
February 21, 2016
Horrible and I couldn't quit watching it.
February 10, 2016
NOTE: This film was recommended to me by YouTube user Soxsun for "Steve Pulaski Sees It."

Lily (Loren Horsley) is a shy, socially awkward fast food worker, who enjoys writing her music despite the ostensible fact that nobody cares enough to listen. She has a crush on a frequent customer named Jarrod (Jermain Clement), a geek who works in a video game store, and finally gets the opportunity to spend time with him when he invites her to a costume party with the only condition that Lily dress as her favorite animal; she shows up as a shark, while Jarrod goes as an eagle, claiming that, or a cobra, is his favorite animal.

What entails is a quirky romance only film could capture; a striking portrait of two social misfits, unaccepted by the masses, and free to guide themselves in the own strange, niche world they craft for themselves. The two don't wind up becoming friends as much as they do close, personal acquaintances given how little they explicitly let on to one another, particularly Jarrod, who lives so deeply in his own world he can't even adequately see what both him and Lily have in common - not even the mole they share above their upper lips. Jarrod has been plotting to take on a bully from high school in a fight in front of a large audience for the last several months, and Lily stands by his side, in utter compliance, largely because she's just so honored to be able to be seen beside the man of her dreams. As Jarrod slogs away at life, meticulously planning a meaningless brawl and taking nearly everything his family says as an offensive remark, Lily is there for him, be it a passive observer, or subtle moral support.

Therein lies the twinkling beauty of Eagle vs Shark; Lily's devotion and consistent loyalty to someone she probably knows, deep down, is four tires short of a car. Despite Jarrod's general initial indifference to her presence, he begins to see how Lily is the only person who has had his back since the beginning. Her incomparable trust and admiration for him almost effectively undermines the negative characteristics Jarrod embodies, including, but not limited to, sexism, close-mindedness, lack of empathy, and narcissism.

Taika Waititi's film embodies the similar kind of approach to outsider culture as Napoleon Dynamite did three years prior to Eagle vs Shark's release. The difference here is that rather than focusing on empty, intolerable characters we, the audience, were essentially laughing at rather than laughing with, Eagle vs Shark is more empathetic to its characters' situations and looks to profile them by examining why these two souls connect so well, or at least so nonchalantly, together. Waititi, who also serves as the film's writer, crafts a film bent on its own eccentric personality and sense of whimsy, and for the most part, succeeds on the charisma of both Horsley and Clement, who embody one of the more unique on-screen chemistries I have yet to see from independent films.

Is Eagle vs Shark consistently funny? Unfortunately no, and there are some long segments where the film drags and meanders, despite only being eighty-seven minutes (even the film's conclusion sometimes feels like it's frustratingly plodding to nowhere fast. Is the film occasionally grating because the personalities of the characters aren't wholly likable? Absolutely. These two nudging features make this film hard to truly love or embrace, but given Waititi's decision to make this a shorter film, one predicated, again, on the warmth of its settings and the quirks of its characters, the film winds up becoming a more tolerable character study than a frustrating examination of misfits. Misfits that, ultimately, you'd rather simply walk past on the street rather than linger on with a camera for an upwards of ninety minutes.

Starring: Loren Horsley and Jermaine Clement. Directed by: Taika Waititi.
½ February 7, 2016
Much like the awkward animal courtship this fairy tale story presents, Eagle vs Shark well display as confusing for some. It may be hard to understand and it's frustrating that the two protagonists don't click immediately, the sentimental message of two humans wishing to act anything is weaved beautifully however as you watch them flock and fade apart and form back together again. It's mesmerising, like a hilarious documentary about an unlikely bond which in turn becomes more likely as you go deeper into their pasts. Taika Waititi is a craftsmen of the bizarre.
February 6, 2016
Not a typical movie I would watch, and theirs a reason for that, it's not that in racist but I was put off by the New Zealand accent and the contrast of it, the acting was mearly very droll and boring too. Much talking and staring, the vocals weren't clear enough, the only thing I enjoyed was the story so if it was a British or American standard movie I would of enjoyed it but due to the fact that I'm not used to watching New Zealand people for a hour and a half, it was boring and I did think the acting was extremely boring, but the story and the contrast of the relationship was very good and gripping, I did enjoy that but I have to lower the score from the fact of the accent and the acting was just too droll for me. Just hope for Hollywood to discover it and remake it because it want to see that happen. Sorry but it's 2 stars ??
½ October 28, 2015
I love this movie, and I'll explain why I rated it what I did. Things that are absolutely lovely about this movie: Jemaine Clement and Loren Horsley are HILARIOUS and Horsley is so sweet! I love the type of humor that this movie is about; that really offbeat, so uncomfortable you have to laugh. The first 2/3s of this movie builds to what could be an extremely emotional climax, and it builds at such a hypnotizing and natural pace especially under all its quirky-ness BUT what it finally delivers feels shallow and avoiding the deeper and darker themes. I would have liked to have seen the story go after true emotional confrontation and resolution, rather than grazing by it for the sake of keeping the movie light and fluffy. It feels dishonest and shallow, which are words I don't want to have to use to describe this, but I have to be honest. It hints at its heart and soul, but only shows its soul. We want the heart! Show us the heart! If you enjoy offbeat humor, you'll love this, but otherwise I think for most people it would be a pass.
½ July 23, 2015
Good Napoleon Dynamite adaptation.
June 21, 2015
Although this got crap reviews. And I get that some people wouldn't like it..... but i thought this was hilarious!
June 8, 2015
There are definitely some funny parts as well as some emotionally resonant ones, but it suffers from being a bit unremarkable, even if that's the point.

I still love Taika Wakiti and Jermaine Clement though.
½ May 27, 2015
It's goofy and odd, but it's also witty and adorable. From the delightfully offbeat chemistry of the two leads to the uplifting and wonderfully cheery atmosphere, this is a been-there-done-that indie comedy that still manages to feel original.

The direction for this film is more than a little interesting. It's like if Jared Hess and Wes Anderson's styles had a baby, and it came out British.

This movie never really made me laugh all that hard, but it definitely won me over with all its charming awkwardness.
½ May 26, 2015
Shoulda listened to rotten tomatoes on this one, taken right out of the Napoleon Dynamite handbook, only not good at all really except for the wacky characters it throws at you, but they aren't funny or interesting.
½ May 25, 2015
If Jared Hess and Wes Anderson had a homosexual butt baby, it would surely birth in the form of Eagle vs. Shark. But as derivative as it is, sometimes shamelessly so, there is still some heart and amusing charisma in this film.
½ May 21, 2015
Rewatched this recently and appreciated it much more for its quirky sense of humor. It's a surprisingly effective ironic romantic comedy.
½ May 19, 2015
A lot of good cinema from down under remains hidden in plain sight or simply drowns in the cacophony originating from that hallowed suburb of Los Angeles. It took me a lateral research on 'What we do in the Shadows' to discover this buried treasure.

Sweet... Subtle... Calming cinema...
April 21, 2015
A sweet, weird little movie from the post-Napoleon Dynamite quirksploitation boom. I personally enjoyed the delightful soundtrack, Loren Horsley's wide-eyed performance, and Taika Waititi's refreshing and inventive filmmaking tics that find a way to pull some serious emotional resonance out of what is basically a big heap of absurdity and unapologetic oddball behavior.