Eastern Promises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eastern Promises Reviews

July 24, 2016
I Only Like Graphic Violence And Swearing Just In R-Rated Movies.
July 24, 2016
A bit convoluted but enjoyable
½ July 22, 2016
David Cronenberg is one of my favorite directors, even though I would really only rank one of his movies (Cosmopolis) as a favorite of mine.

David clearly had something on his mind that he wants to talk about for each of his films, but they end up getting bogged down by poor plot structuring almost every time.

The parts of Eastern Promises that are great, are really great. The realistic portrayal of lifetime criminals, the shocking violence, every single time Viggo Mortinsenis on screen, are all fantastic, but are bogged down down by a lack of momentum and a climax that comes too early in the film.

Great movie if you are able to look past those structural issues.
July 17, 2016
Yo no puedo creer que nunca antes había visto esta película.
La manera en la que Viggo Mortensen le pone el cuerpo (literalmente) a Nikolai me dejó muda.
½ July 17, 2016
Really good Russian mafia film. Very underrated
½ June 4, 2016
Dark and bloody. I enjoyed the plot even if it was somewhat predictable. But I always enjoy Viggo Mortensen in anything.
May 28, 2016
Count me as one who found this very slow and constantly waiting for the psychological drama to stimulate. It had all the required ingredients to make something beautiful, yet the whole does not even add up to the sum it's parts. Viggo Mortensen's performance was noteworthy, so that is a plus. But the talented Naomi Watts wasn't employed in a fashion that brought out the best in her. Overall this movie is quite overrated and not the psychological drama it's made out to be.
May 22, 2016
"Eastern Promises" is an expert blend of brutal violence and tender morality, and features a stellar performance from Viggo Mortensen.
May 14, 2016
Eastern Promises tells the story of a Russian mob family and their connection to a woman who dies in childbirth. The film is not a typical mobster movie but instead develops characters and a story that is unique to the genre. Viggo Mortensen has a great performance as a driver of the family who shows remorse to a nurse who is trying to unveil the story behind the dead woman's past. Well acted and well told.
May 9, 2016
Powerful drama about the russian mafia abroad.
May 2, 2016
well written, we'll acted, this was an atypical drama in the sense that the plot was not something I had seen before. and that's what made me want to see it over and over again.
May 1, 2016
Yes this gangster crime thriller is great, it spotlights the truth of trafficking and the hideous way these people go about it. The action is brutal and spot on, the storyline is excellent.
½ April 23, 2016
Solid movie, well acted.
½ April 23, 2016
Have not watched this since it first came out. Two times is plenty for this one.
April 9, 2016
When born into hell when your raised in a bad household that we leave for a better life to fall into another cage of hell. When we live this constant battle of struggle and pain, can't escape the misery we face wherever we go. From the moment we were born, from the moment we died. Unable to live a normal family life we wish, to bringing up a family we wish to raise how we intended.
When where we end up we are stuck in, forced to live a dreadful life, when we searched long for this better life. We console in a diary to maintain our sanity and thoughts to get through it. The place we search for we realize we are searching in the wrong place before it's too late. There is no better life here, when gangsters and corruption rule the streets and you live in it and need it. When this better life isn't achievable when such corruption is too in depth and large and hidden that no one is able to solve or grasp. When these careless souls are even careless when those whom they rely on fail. When getting into deep in such departure corruption takes time and lives are at loss, but the sacrifice for those help resolve end corruption eventually until a new one happens again. A constant battle, struggle and fight that not only victims go through but those whom have to end it.
It takes some good hearted, soulful angels to help give a life for those whom cant.
April 1, 2016
Naomi Watts and Vincent Cassel in a film together is enough for me. The story is alright and it does get pretty brutal at times. It's about the Russia mafia in London, so unless you've seen other films on this subject then I guess you'd agree it's quite an original plot. Surprisingly, it doesn't resemble any of the crap British cockney gangster films at all; they did well to steer clear of that Guy Ritchie style rubbish.
March 27, 2016
Brilliant movie, captivating, I was drawn into this movie, the depth of characters, twisting plot, edge of your seat viewing.... Totally recommend for adult viewers.
March 16, 2016
Pretty cool crime thriller, but it still fails to fully engage me. While there's still a few great set pieces, it ultimately feels a bit like it's trying to hard...
March 6, 2016
Very well put together film, and classic Cronenberg as we like him. Depth, subtlety, and great acting all around... quite refreshing.
½ February 13, 2016
Way too violent, Horrible stories of Russian Mob in London. Disgustingly violent. Naomi watts makes the movie tolerable.