Eastern Promises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eastern Promises Reviews

November 13, 2018
Cronenberg directs another explicit experience.
½ October 10, 2018
Decent effort all around but I really could have done without that Viggo naked fight scene. What is it with that guy? He is always taking his clothes off. Bah ! Vincent Cassel is his typical nutjob and Naomi Watts is super hot as always. My favorite scene of the movie involved the nutty Turkish kid shouting for Arsenal at a Chelsea match on the way to the ground. He got dealt with. It was one of those movies that seemed to linger on for hours but the running time was relatively short. Well all in all, pretty good around.
September 30, 2018
Very scattered the way all these just come about. I don't really like the way Cronenberg filmed this movie. I like his movies but the way he shot this movie the lighting, I didn't care too much for. It's like he was trying to get with the times.

The story actually gets interesting once you start to see the driver show some compassion. You start to wonder how a man who chops up bodies and kills people can be empathetical towards people. That one fight scene in the bath house was brutal.

There was a twist I wasn't expecting and they made it so subtle.

I think the best way to describe this movie would be that it lack some taste. I don't really care to know more about the Russian mobs. But, interesting plot and story but not a movie I'd go back and watch again. It's cool to see how these inside jobs work and taking a glimpse inside how one works was cool to see.
September 3, 2018
This is an OK gangster movie but its nothing like the oldschool cronenberg! where are the parasites?
August 15, 2018
What a fucking blast nigga
½ August 13, 2018
7/1/18 We watched this a while ago. I was hoping for more . Erika really liked it, but I didn't get too into it.
½ April 9, 2018
First off, the movie was incredible.

I'm Russian, so I get pretty critical and nitpicky when I see Russian characters in Hollywood movies. Usually I get mad or disappointed, usually the portrayals are disgraceful, the language is barely Russian at all, the people talking this mangled language barely try. Not to mention the typical Russian villains.

But here, WOW. I feel like this is the best Russian portrayal I've seen out of Hollywood. Any better than this and it'd be some kind of joint Russian production. You could tell the production did its research, most of the actors took their Russian lessons seriously, the Russian dialog made sense and was surprisingly natural. Hell, they even finally hired real Russians to play some of the extras.

And Viggo just... He just knocked it out the park and into another galaxy. I always heard he had a talent for languages, but to hear it here was a shock. He nailed the language. Bravo to him. I might even go as far as to say that this was Viggo's most impressive role yet.

I also have to say that I was really surprised by the quality of the cast here. They all did a serviceable job.

Now the story took me by surprise. The third act of the movie is refreshingly unexpected. I thought I had a good grip on it all, and then I was pleasantly proven wrong. It elevated the movie from a good movie, to a great one.

I can recommend this movie to anyone with a completely clear conscience.
March 24, 2018
Amazing. Great performances and atmosphere. Darky, gritty, don't miss it.
March 24, 2018
Akting viggo disini epik,tapi sayan lawan maennya si naomi kurang greget. terlalu datar bahkan. overall jalan cerita bagus, sadis, historic, bumbu-bumbu rusia mulai kental bange ditampilin disini.
February 19, 2018
Another movie where the majority of critics and the audience portray terrible judgement. Both Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts fall very far short of their best in this rather tedious and brutal film with almost nothing to recommend it. I couldn't suspend disbelief with the characters or the story, a mix of cliches and strained credibility. Oddly, Mortensen seems to have received Best Actor nominations for his performance here, which tells me more about the questionable standards of those who make such nominations though he's at least serious about his character in this. The direction is probably the worst aspect of the movie. It veers from routine to jarring, almost amateurish at times. Whether the script called for it or not, the opening scenes are gruesome and disjointed for no good reason. Other scenes struck me as contrived or stylized in the way they were staged.
January 28, 2018
An excellent Mortensen performance and a dark story are well supported by Cronenberg. Highlighted by the excellently shot bath house scene.
½ December 23, 2017
An unsettling movie with a daring performance from Viggo Mortensen!
December 20, 2017
***
'Eastern Promises' is a movie that would appear to have everything: good performances, excellent direction/cinematography, and a proved writer in Steven Knight. Yet, for whatever reason, it never quite lands as well as it should. There's nothing blatantly wrong with the movie, but there's nothing particularly noteworthy either. It's a well-made crime drama made by very talented people, all of which have done better, but could do a helluva lot worse too.
December 12, 2017
Nothing interesting for me here. Nothing made me think this was good or entertaining. Bit of a bore. Expected more.
September 14, 2017
Nothing special but great acting from Naomi Watts and Viggo Mortensen about digging into the Russian mafia's underworld
July 28, 2017
Viggo Mortensen did a good job, but Vincent Cassell is always a standout for me. One of my favorite actors. He should have won an award for something he has done but never gets any recognition. This is one of his best movies.
July 21, 2017
I think we can all agree Viggo Mortensen's role was the most favorable part of the film and really tied the bow with that and it being a triumphant story. It wasn't excessively violent and suited it well for the story that didn't require much violence to accomplish its essence. The twist near the end just further improves the acting side of things.
July 8, 2017
Its violent and brutally well done. In the truth of drugs human trafficking and so on. Great action thriller.
½ July 2, 2017
Cronenberg returns to the crime drama following A History of Violence two years prior; this time around, the result is a bit more streamlined, never getting quite as caught up in a big plot twist and losing steam like that film. Eastern Promises isn't all that dissimilar to A History of Violence, dealing with similar themes of ordinary citizens getting caught in a darker world lurking all around them: this time around, Cronenberg takes us into the seedy depths of the Russian mob and one woman's entanglement with the aftermath of a rape. Despite running just 100 minutes, the film takes its time in establishing the facets of the story, as well as the inner workings of the mob, never feeling like detaild have been glossed over or rushed. It's not too intricate or complex, with just enough development to keep the intrigue alive and the story moving at a solid pace. It's an acting powerhouse across the board, but the clear standout is the Oscar nominated performance from Viggo Mortensen as Nikolai, playing a pretty convincing Eastern European. Mortensen's role only gets stronger as the story progresses and the intricacies of his character's arc are revealed: a fight sequence in a sauna, already a masterful scene as it is in its sheer brutality, becomes even more impressive in what it reveals about Nikolai as a character. If A History of Violence proved Cronenberg capable of simply exploring different themes outside of the realm of body horror, Eastern Promises cements his skill in a very different genre.
June 9, 2017