Eastern Promises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eastern Promises Reviews

February 21, 2019
An Unfaithful And Broken Asset.

Eastern Promises

Cronenberg has a smart stable method to work his way up on the ladder. His simplicity, and even cliches, has a panache that any filmmaker would die to have for. His lucid flow on storytelling is why it all looks so simple and easy. He doesn't rely much upon antics, but when there are their to work upon, he makes sure he builds them up sincerely and weaves them out sharply on the screen. Take the holy ceremonial or mythological ritual sequence that these gangs go through before claiming their titles or roles in their community. That entire sequence where Mortensen surrenders himself to their religion or the game that they believe in and feed themselves in, says a lot about the integrity of these characters.

These tiny characteristics of the characters is why we care, this attractive nature of theirs makes us root for them from the start. There isn't much action in the film, but only once does Mortensen throws a punch, and that entire sequence is not only well choreographed and shot but also brilliantly performed. Nikolai; the protagonist, played powerfully by Viggo Mortensen is not your average Godfather-like mafia member, he wants to prove himself and he does.

Naomi Watts cloaking as Anna, the sort-of voice of the reason of the film has unfortunately very less to invest. In fact, Vincent Cassel as a spoiled brat has much more threat to convey with his uncertainty. Stephen Knight, the writer, is not overprotective or melodramatic about his content, he gives up easily but wisely, he makes sure that there is another surprising layer attached to it, to ground the emotions and justify these killings. Eastern Promises has a promising premise, scoffing off the usual crime drama rigmarole, David Cronenberg focuses on the heart of these characters.
½ February 18, 2019
Gratuitously nasty.

Incitement of a mentally disturbed young man to commit murder. Opinion that an unborn baby died because it was mixed race. Eroticised rape.

Why?
½ January 31, 2019
An impressive, powerful thriller interrupted frequently by moments of weak, made-for-TV writing and plot. Inconsistent.
½ January 20, 2019
This was recommended by friends and is usually not my kind of movie. The story was not all that original but the great acting and the directing made it worth watching. A very decent drama-thriller if that's your thing.
January 13, 2019
It's been a while since I've seen a good crime film, and this is one I would definitely recommend.
November 13, 2018
Cronenberg directs another explicit experience.
½ October 10, 2018
Decent effort all around but I really could have done without that Viggo naked fight scene. What is it with that guy? He is always taking his clothes off. Bah ! Vincent Cassel is his typical nutjob and Naomi Watts is super hot as always. My favorite scene of the movie involved the nutty Turkish kid shouting for Arsenal at a Chelsea match on the way to the ground. He got dealt with. It was one of those movies that seemed to linger on for hours but the running time was relatively short. Well all in all, pretty good around.
September 30, 2018
Very scattered the way all these just come about. I don't really like the way Cronenberg filmed this movie. I like his movies but the way he shot this movie the lighting, I didn't care too much for. It's like he was trying to get with the times.

The story actually gets interesting once you start to see the driver show some compassion. You start to wonder how a man who chops up bodies and kills people can be empathetical towards people. That one fight scene in the bath house was brutal.

There was a twist I wasn't expecting and they made it so subtle.

I think the best way to describe this movie would be that it lack some taste. I don't really care to know more about the Russian mobs. But, interesting plot and story but not a movie I'd go back and watch again. It's cool to see how these inside jobs work and taking a glimpse inside how one works was cool to see.
September 3, 2018
This is an OK gangster movie but its nothing like the oldschool cronenberg! where are the parasites?
August 15, 2018
What a fucking blast nigga
½ August 13, 2018
7/1/18 We watched this a while ago. I was hoping for more . Erika really liked it, but I didn't get too into it.
½ April 9, 2018
First off, the movie was incredible.

I'm Russian, so I get pretty critical and nitpicky when I see Russian characters in Hollywood movies. Usually I get mad or disappointed, usually the portrayals are disgraceful, the language is barely Russian at all, the people talking this mangled language barely try. Not to mention the typical Russian villains.

But here, WOW. I feel like this is the best Russian portrayal I've seen out of Hollywood. Any better than this and it'd be some kind of joint Russian production. You could tell the production did its research, most of the actors took their Russian lessons seriously, the Russian dialog made sense and was surprisingly natural. Hell, they even finally hired real Russians to play some of the extras.

And Viggo just... He just knocked it out the park and into another galaxy. I always heard he had a talent for languages, but to hear it here was a shock. He nailed the language. Bravo to him. I might even go as far as to say that this was Viggo's most impressive role yet.

I also have to say that I was really surprised by the quality of the cast here. They all did a serviceable job.

Now the story took me by surprise. The third act of the movie is refreshingly unexpected. I thought I had a good grip on it all, and then I was pleasantly proven wrong. It elevated the movie from a good movie, to a great one.

I can recommend this movie to anyone with a completely clear conscience.
March 24, 2018
Amazing. Great performances and atmosphere. Darky, gritty, don't miss it.
March 24, 2018
Akting viggo disini epik,tapi sayan lawan maennya si naomi kurang greget. terlalu datar bahkan. overall jalan cerita bagus, sadis, historic, bumbu-bumbu rusia mulai kental bange ditampilin disini.
February 19, 2018
Another movie where the majority of critics and the audience portray terrible judgement. Both Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts fall very far short of their best in this rather tedious and brutal film with almost nothing to recommend it. I couldn't suspend disbelief with the characters or the story, a mix of cliches and strained credibility. Oddly, Mortensen seems to have received Best Actor nominations for his performance here, which tells me more about the questionable standards of those who make such nominations though he's at least serious about his character in this. The direction is probably the worst aspect of the movie. It veers from routine to jarring, almost amateurish at times. Whether the script called for it or not, the opening scenes are gruesome and disjointed for no good reason. Other scenes struck me as contrived or stylized in the way they were staged.
January 28, 2018
An excellent Mortensen performance and a dark story are well supported by Cronenberg. Highlighted by the excellently shot bath house scene.
½ December 23, 2017
An unsettling movie with a daring performance from Viggo Mortensen!
December 20, 2017
***
'Eastern Promises' is a movie that would appear to have everything: good performances, excellent direction/cinematography, and a proved writer in Steven Knight. Yet, for whatever reason, it never quite lands as well as it should. There's nothing blatantly wrong with the movie, but there's nothing particularly noteworthy either. It's a well-made crime drama made by very talented people, all of which have done better, but could do a helluva lot worse too.
December 12, 2017
Nothing interesting for me here. Nothing made me think this was good or entertaining. Bit of a bore. Expected more.
September 14, 2017
Nothing special but great acting from Naomi Watts and Viggo Mortensen about digging into the Russian mafia's underworld