Eastern Promises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eastern Promises Reviews

September 3, 2018
This is an OK gangster movie but its nothing like the oldschool cronenberg! where are the parasites?
August 15, 2018
What a fucking blast nigga
½ August 13, 2018
7/1/18 We watched this a while ago. I was hoping for more . Erika really liked it, but I didn't get too into it.
½ April 9, 2018
First off, the movie was incredible.

I'm Russian, so I get pretty critical and nitpicky when I see Russian characters in Hollywood movies. Usually I get mad or disappointed, usually the portrayals are disgraceful, the language is barely Russian at all, the people talking this mangled language barely try. Not to mention the typical Russian villains.

But here, WOW. I feel like this is the best Russian portrayal I've seen out of Hollywood. Any better than this and it'd be some kind of joint Russian production. You could tell the production did its research, most of the actors took their Russian lessons seriously, the Russian dialog made sense and was surprisingly natural. Hell, they even finally hired real Russians to play some of the extras.

And Viggo just... He just knocked it out the park and into another galaxy. I always heard he had a talent for languages, but to hear it here was a shock. He nailed the language. Bravo to him. I might even go as far as to say that this was Viggo's most impressive role yet.

I also have to say that I was really surprised by the quality of the cast here. They all did a serviceable job.

Now the story took me by surprise. The third act of the movie is refreshingly unexpected. I thought I had a good grip on it all, and then I was pleasantly proven wrong. It elevated the movie from a good movie, to a great one.

I can recommend this movie to anyone with a completely clear conscience.
March 24, 2018
Amazing. Great performances and atmosphere. Darky, gritty, don't miss it.
March 24, 2018
Akting viggo disini epik,tapi sayan lawan maennya si naomi kurang greget. terlalu datar bahkan. overall jalan cerita bagus, sadis, historic, bumbu-bumbu rusia mulai kental bange ditampilin disini.
February 19, 2018
Another movie where the majority of critics and the audience portray terrible judgement. Both Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts fall very far short of their best in this rather tedious and brutal film with almost nothing to recommend it. I couldn't suspend disbelief with the characters or the story, a mix of cliches and strained credibility. Oddly, Mortensen seems to have received Best Actor nominations for his performance here, which tells me more about the questionable standards of those who make such nominations though he's at least serious about his character in this. The direction is probably the worst aspect of the movie. It veers from routine to jarring, almost amateurish at times. Whether the script called for it or not, the opening scenes are gruesome and disjointed for no good reason. Other scenes struck me as contrived or stylized in the way they were staged.
January 28, 2018
An excellent Mortensen performance and a dark story are well supported by Cronenberg. Highlighted by the excellently shot bath house scene.
½ December 23, 2017
An unsettling movie with a daring performance from Viggo Mortensen!
December 20, 2017
***
'Eastern Promises' is a movie that would appear to have everything: good performances, excellent direction/cinematography, and a proved writer in Steven Knight. Yet, for whatever reason, it never quite lands as well as it should. There's nothing blatantly wrong with the movie, but there's nothing particularly noteworthy either. It's a well-made crime drama made by very talented people, all of which have done better, but could do a helluva lot worse too.
December 12, 2017
Nothing interesting for me here. Nothing made me think this was good or entertaining. Bit of a bore. Expected more.
September 14, 2017
Nothing special but great acting from Naomi Watts and Viggo Mortensen about digging into the Russian mafia's underworld
July 28, 2017
Viggo Mortensen did a good job, but Vincent Cassell is always a standout for me. One of my favorite actors. He should have won an award for something he has done but never gets any recognition. This is one of his best movies.
July 21, 2017
I think we can all agree Viggo Mortensen's role was the most favorable part of the film and really tied the bow with that and it being a triumphant story. It wasn't excessively violent and suited it well for the story that didn't require much violence to accomplish its essence. The twist near the end just further improves the acting side of things.
July 8, 2017
Its violent and brutally well done. In the truth of drugs human trafficking and so on. Great action thriller.
½ July 2, 2017
Cronenberg returns to the crime drama following A History of Violence two years prior; this time around, the result is a bit more streamlined, never getting quite as caught up in a big plot twist and losing steam like that film. Eastern Promises isn't all that dissimilar to A History of Violence, dealing with similar themes of ordinary citizens getting caught in a darker world lurking all around them: this time around, Cronenberg takes us into the seedy depths of the Russian mob and one woman's entanglement with the aftermath of a rape. Despite running just 100 minutes, the film takes its time in establishing the facets of the story, as well as the inner workings of the mob, never feeling like detaild have been glossed over or rushed. It's not too intricate or complex, with just enough development to keep the intrigue alive and the story moving at a solid pace. It's an acting powerhouse across the board, but the clear standout is the Oscar nominated performance from Viggo Mortensen as Nikolai, playing a pretty convincing Eastern European. Mortensen's role only gets stronger as the story progresses and the intricacies of his character's arc are revealed: a fight sequence in a sauna, already a masterful scene as it is in its sheer brutality, becomes even more impressive in what it reveals about Nikolai as a character. If A History of Violence proved Cronenberg capable of simply exploring different themes outside of the realm of body horror, Eastern Promises cements his skill in a very different genre.
June 9, 2017
Viggo Mortensen was just amazing as Nickolai. Great job
½ May 27, 2017
When born into hell when your raised in a bad household that we leave for a better life to fall into another cage of hell. When we live this constant battle of struggle and pain, can't escape the misery we face wherever we go. From the moment we were born, from the moment we died. Unable to live a normal family life we wish, to bringing up a family we wish to raise how we intended.
When where we end up we are stuck in, forced to live a dreadful life, when we searched long for this better life. We console in a diary to maintain our sanity and thoughts to get through it. The place we search for we realize we are searching in the wrong place before it's too late. There is no better life here, when gangsters and corruption rule the streets and you live in it and need it. When this better life isn't achievable when such corruption is too in depth and large and hidden that no one is able to solve or grasp. When these careless souls are even careless when those whom they rely on fail. When getting into deep in such departure corruption takes time and lives are at loss, but the sacrifice for those help resolve end corruption eventually until a new one happens again. A constant battle, struggle and fight that not only victims go through but those whom have to end it.
It takes some good hearted, soulful angels to help give a life for those whom cant.
May 16, 2017
Me And My Brother Jesse Will Both Become Filmmakers When We Both Grow Up.
April 12, 2017
Cronenberg and Mortensen make another tremendous film together, once again concerned with muddied character motivations and shifting identities.

The quick bursts of brutal violence punctuate long bits of character development, with Mortensen looming large over the film, exuding menace just by standing there with a half-smile playing about his lips.

Highly recommended.